Football Manager Live (includes in-depth review)

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Hi guys, I've been lucky enough to be in the Football Manager Live beta for a while now - DagsJT just asked if I could post a short review in the chatbox. Thinking that I couldn't, I just asked in the main lobby chatroom in-game, and apparently it's perfectly alright, including screenshots! So seeing as it's allowed, here's a little taster for you.

Please use this thread as the FML thread when the game is released etc...

------------------------------

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

First thing's first - this isn't FM as we know it. You don't pick a real club (such as Man United), and you're not put in a real league as such (so you're not in an "English" league, you're just in a league, meaning different rules and competitions than you might expect). I was quite disappointed when I realised this, but Ov Collyer explained to me on the SI Forums that there have to be some differences and some unrealistic elements for things to work well in a "massively multiplayer" format.

There's a setup assistant when you start, which helps you get to grips with the important things quite quickly. You create yourself, with your name, birthday, the area you live in, the team you support and a picture (not everything is compulsory but it adds to the experience), and once you've done that you move onto your club. You create a club from scratch - they start off with no players whatsoever, so you need to sign some up yourself. You give them a name (and then put "FC" on the end because everyone else has :roll:), a stadium name, a badge (if you have one), home and away kits etc. - but of course, the most important bit is player acquisition.

Again, it's so different from FM that it takes some getting used to, but basically... Every player has an acquisition fee, which you must pay even if you're getting the player on a "free transfer". I presume the reason behind this is so that clubs don't snap up every player available on the market at little cost to themselves - there are already clubs hoarding 100+ players, but only the mega-rich clubs can afford to do that.

When you start off for the first time, you're given £500k. You pick the players that are available and once you've reserved them and paid the fees for them, that's it, they're yours (and you're left with around £10k if you picked a decent team). But in the middle of a season, say Joe Bloggs isn't attached to a club and you want him, offering him a contract starts a bidding war. You offer whatever wage you feel is the most you can offer, and then other clubs have 24hrs to better that. At the end of that period, the club that's offered the most wins him, and must then pay the acquisition fee.

Transfer values for contracted players aren't as high as the real-world values would be - £3m-£5m is only usually paid for the very best players. I'm led to believe £11m is the record so far, for a 29-year-old Wayne Rooney, but this was an absolute one-off. Wages are also less than real-world values - the average wage for a real Tranmere player is about £2,000 a week, I have a couple of Brazilians who could play for a bottom-half Premier League/top-half Championship side on £1,250-£1,500.

transferszd0.png

But again, there is another difference - wages aren't paid "per week", they're paid per real-time day. In FML, it's common to equate one day to about a week of "real time" - it's not an exact science, purposefully so because different people play for different lengths of time, and because in different FAs (see below) some seasons last longer than others. In the FA I play in, one league season lasts for twenty days. In another, two whole seasons are played out in the same time-frame. So you could say that one day of my season would be about two weeks of a real year (making a season ten months long), whereas in the other FA one day would be about four weeks of a real year.

So features like wages, ages and injuries are moulded around these new timescales - for example, players all age by one year after each season finishes, and a player of mine who has recently torn his hamstring will be unavailable for selection for about five days. When you can play 3-4 games in a day or more, that's a lot of games to wait for his recovery.

When you start the game, there's several gameworlds to choose from. At the moment there are six, although this will probably change once the game is released. Each gameworld is seperate from the others, meaning that each world has its own Rooney, without duplicate. Once you join a gameworld and you set up your club, you must choose an FA to join. All of the FAs are for different amounts of playtime - there are FAs for occasional players, regular players and "I have quit my job to play this game" players. Each have schedule guidelines, which are when most players are online, and each have seperate league structures, competitions and rules.

leagueyf6.png

I was looking for an English style structure, with a 20-team top flight losing 3 teams to relegation, a 24-team league below that with two automatic promotions, one promotion through the playoffs and three relegations, etc... There was one FA that copied the English structure perfectly, and that I was happy to sign up to - only to discover that the rules were altered so that you played each team four times instead of twice. I found another that was similar, but as mentioned previously, they played two seasons in around three weeks. Thankfully there is an FA that is reasonably similar to the real English structure, with the only difference being three or four cup competitions and an unlimited-team bottom league (at the moment there's 30 teams in there), and the only downside being slightly earlier hours than I would have liked. You have to make some sacrifices over what you want, but I've been told by Ov Collyer that they're constantly evolving FAs thanks to the feedback and when the full game is released there will be a lot more FAs available than there are now.

World XI

When the gameworlds start from scratch, every player will be unattached, and so there will be a lot of choice. Being English and a big fan of all our leagues, I was looking forward to setting up an English club - the game asks where your club will be based, so it's perfectly reasonable to expect a very English line-up. There is an auto-picker - however, it's not advisable to use it if you want to pick the best players available and the ones that suit your style, because the auto-picker is not programmed to pick the best players (otherwise it would make things too easy), and it will pick, amongst others, average players of your nationality and players who have played for the team you support. It also asks for an amount of players to look for, meaning you can spread the budget thinly or you can blow it all on a few players - but there is no "include an U21 squad" option, and you will need to purchase some (they're not required to play the game but having young talent vastly increases your chances of success - if you train young players up to become stars, your club can gain much-needed cash and reputation).

When I picked my players, I was disappointed to see that when I looked through the final squads (senior and U21), every single player within each squad was from a different country. After the realism of FM I was expecting more, but again it comes back to Ov saying that you cannot expect from FML the things you would expect from FM. It's not neccessarily a bad thing, and it's certainly better than settling for the auto-picker's players. I'd never win a game with the English players that were left over. But it is a culture-shock, certainly.

squadjm8.png

The points I've raised so far may make you think it sounds like some things are missing or poorly implemented, but they genuinely aren't. It's just a new way of doing things, for a totally new style of play. It doesn't take long to understand why the game is the way it is, and after a few days of interacting with real people rather than robots, it makes going back to the normal FM feel sterile and old-fashioned.

The game features chatrooms (where you can find a general lobby, a transfer market that's always buzzing with activity, a tactical discussion room where you can ask the virtual Alex Ferguson's why your team can't score to save their lives, and a chatroom for your FA), newspapers (listing the manager's actual reactions to results and other news items, as well as the latest results and transfers), a personal email service (where you can send and receive messages directly) and an inbox (where you can choose to receive several kinds of mailing lists - a common example is the transfer mailing list, where clubs will list the players they are looking to sell or loan out, with descriptions of them to try and entice you into making an offer).

chatut7.png

To interact with all of the above, on a daily basis, is genuinely thrilling. To be a part of a vibrant and real world where everything that's happening is affecting a club somewhere, is a fantastic experience - nothing is scripted, it's all real. When you read that a team is enduring an injury crisis, someone has made an eleventh-hour bid for Kaka, or the manager of Super Noodles FC claims that "we should all give more respect to referees but that referee was a complete tit", it's like reading the back of an actual newspaper. The game is different from the FM we know and love, but it's as realistic as a game like this can be - and it's beautifully put together by a team that knows exactly what they're doing.

Serious Skillz

Shortly after setting everything up and noticing the absence of backroom staff and training, you notice one of the game's best features. In FM you would have ratings for each part of your game that would change dynamically every few months - tactical knowledge, man management, etc... Well in FML, you're given nothing for free. You have to go back to school.

Each part of the game, apart from the absolute basics, requires the learning of a skill. To learn a skill, you simply go to the skills page and select what you want to learn. There are hundreds of things to unlock, in several categories - coaching, tactics, and learning to name but a few. Some examples; coaching skills mean that your players are coached better and improve their attributes as well as their work rate allows them to. There are levels for 5% increases, 10% increases etc., and there are skills for increases in specific player positions (so you can concentrate on becoming a good goalkeeping coach, if that's what you want to do, or you can become a Jack of all trades, master of none). Tactics skills unlock more notches on the sliders, more team instructions, more player instructions, opposition player instructions etc., learning skills allow you to learn the rest of the skills more quickly - and this really is just scratching the surface.

skillsjv8.png

Depending on the skill chosen, and the level of each skill you learn (some skills have five levels of competence, from beginners level to advanced), you can be waiting between 19 minutes and over a week for the skill levels to be completed. To learn a skill you simply drag the one you're after into your "currently learning" box - you can only learn one at a time, so it becomes very important to choose the right skills. I started off learning lots of tactical skills before I realised, the default tactics are good enough to keep the players playing - you can choose to keep things simple, which actually helps, and so all I really needed to learn at the start tactically was the basics, counter-attacking and marking instructions. The players need coaching and you need your scouting abilites to be able to see more players in the gameworld and to guage the potential of younger players. If you can see their potential more accurately than someone else, you could grab a future superstar without other managers around you realising it.

This adds a whole new strategy to the game, and a new realism element as well - instead of starting off with average ratings for all areas of your knowledge, you have to go off to a virtual Lilleshall and get your coaching badges.

Last edited:
  • Staff
REVIEW PART TWO

Money Money Money

So you've got your starting lineup, they're all settling in nicely, but you soon compare your players to those at the clubs around you and think - this is going to be a long, hard season. Before you know it, you've made a shortlist of players you'll never be able to afford, and you're panicking. Now we're cooking.

It's very difficult starting off, so much so that it will be offputting to the non-hardcore audience. Your reputation (which is based on your world ranking, which is based on the results of every team throughout the day and updates each night at midnight) affects your income. If you have a small senior squad and U21 squad, both containing a decent first team and just a few substitutes, you'll make a slight profit each day. But if you start buying truckloads of players in desperation based on the financial projection you get each morning (which tells you how much you'll have at the end of the season if your income and expenditure stays the same - currently I'm expected to have £2m-£3m at the end of season one), you can get yourself a bit too excited, throw the wage balance off completely and threaten your club's existence. ITV Digital, anyone? I never trusted that monkey.

projectionpf3.png

A very important part of the game is the senior/youth balance. If you buy a team full of 28-30 year olds, they will be technically excellent but they will age quickly, train poorly, injure often and when it comes to future investment and having to sell these players on, you will get very little money back for them. Buying a good mix of young players and old heads will result in games being won and less money being lost when the time for change comes.

Kick Off

When you've finally got your club running the way you want it to, you will start getting requests for games. Fixture lists of a sort are generated - matches have a "to be played by" date, and after this date the person who has been online more often (or requested the other person to play more often) is given "AI rights". This means that when you're ready to play the game, you can request to play the club and they will be managed by the AI. This doesn't really represent an advantage or a disadvantage, because the AI can only tell the players what to do like a human player can.

The match engine is superb as always - it's choppy to watch at the moment, but with it being a beta this may improve. Even so, when you factor in the absolutely huge depth of the simulation that is being played out on two screens across the globe - this isn't a couple of gunmen running around and shooting, this is 22 people with differing mental, technical and physical attributes that affect whether they smack the ball home or smack an elderly gentleman in the front row with a wayward shot - it is perfectly understandable and, I think, acceptable that there is a bit of jerkiness to the match. It doesn't detract from the experience at all - chunks of the match don't get lost in the downloading, only small fragments of movement, so it really doesn't affect anything.

matchny1.png

It's being found at the minute that the default tactics are quite effective - I spent two hours creating four tactics, which proceeded to lose me five games with scorelines varying from 3-0 to 8-0. When switching to the default 4-4-2 formation, I drew three games in a row immediately. This is a slight concern to those who want a deep tactical experience, and after a rollout today the default formation won three games in a row for me - causing my club climb from 3rd-bottom to mid-table safety. However, very little time has been spent with this new rollout, and so I'll get back to you on that one.

At the moment, with there being no backroom staff, you also have to take part in all the games that are scheduled for all of your squads - meaning that you can't have an assistant manager take control of the meaningless games for you, so you have to sit through them all. This isn't too bad if you only have a senior squad and a youth squad, but as you get more money you can afford to have a reserve squad as well as U17, U19 and U21 squads (you can then enter all of these squads into specific tournaments designed for them, which ups your income and your reputation a lot - they're important to have). How the guys who top the rich-list can play in five leagues with five squads over twenty days (around two hundred games, that's ten games a day), and concentrate on buying, selling, watching the finances and everything else you need to do... Well, it's beyond me. You can leave the AI to take over by refusing all of the match requests and waiting for the fixture deadlines to pass, but if you don't play a certain percentage of your games in each league then you lose a percentage of the prize money awarded at the end of the season.

Final Score

If you're a realism nut like myself, the game will be disheartening at first. To start a squad based in England and have a starting lineup containing an American, an Italian, a Brazilian and even a Peruvian, is disappointing. And when you find yourself looking for things that aren't there - training regimes, board requests, backroom staff to do the dirty work for you - you find yourself in unfamiliar territory. But as time goes on you realise that these things have been done for a reason, and when you first experience the beauty of the game - when you get an achievement for beating a team over one hundred ranks above you, with a fantastic early cross headed over a flapping keeper and into the net by a striker you struggled to afford by selling that really promising centre-back that you really didn't want to let go - you will forget all about it. And all about your real-life job and family, in-fact.

achievekt6.png

Even at this beta stage it's become clear to me that I will find it extremely hard to go back to an AI-driven game. Bartering with real people, scouting real clubs to get an idea in your head how to play against them, reading about your team in the newspaper - it's just a totally different world.

Already there are famous and infamous managers (and players too), who are discussed all day long. Some managers can't take a loss, some are convinced that those little dots for referees are totally against them. Some managers are out there snapping up every player that they can, filling their squads with man after man, while the managers at the bottom cry about how unfair it is that they're not leaving players for the rest of us. I mean, does it get any more realistic than that, honestly?

The effort that goes into beating the big boys, and the joy of success (and the pain of defeat) that you feel as a result, is multiplied greatly from previous FM games simply because it's another human being you're inflicting your pain onto, and because you're not able to quit the game after a bad result and play it again (don't lie - I know you've done it). And what sets it apart from the other online football management games is its depth. You will not find another game like this, with real players, a realistic tactical system complete with the most realistic match engine, a complex financial system, and the feeling of being a part of something that's constantly moving and evolving.

Knowing that this is just a beta, and having read about the possibility of several more features being added before the game's release this summer, it's safe to say that this will cause even more divorces, break-ups and college drop-outs than any previous FM. God bless you, SI. You must be really proud of yourselves.

clubcu6.png

Since I've started playing this, I haven't touched GTA IV - now that really is saying something.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome, whats the expected release date to this? But honestly, I'd really like to try to beta before anything. It sounds like a hit and miss for me.

• Staff
All they're saying so far is "summer". I don't know if there will be any more beta spaces but I'm sure they'll have three-day trials and things like that once the game comes out.

The price will be "the cost of a pint" per month by the way.

It won't be a one of payment? ehh i prefer they slapped on a 60 to 70 price tag then milk you forever :( seems like revolutionary stuff though, totally no more people whinging about "the ai just didn't let me win cause its not supposed to happen that way"

Well done mate that is a superb write up, in fact that is up to journalism standard mate, alot of my writers would struggle to write so coherently (i am a sports editor for northwest based newspaper).

As for FMLIVE I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this.

• Staff
Well done mate that is a superb write up, in fact that is up to journalism standard mate, alot of my writers would struggle to write so coherently (i am a sports editor for northwest based newspaper).
Well, I try. Got any jobs going?! :)

Thanks very much for that great review jack.
Every since i've heard of that game i want it...it's my top priority for over a year now.
I've been trying to sign up as a beta tester 3 or 4 times now, but it just don't work for me (is it because i'm not English??? are all the beta testers people living in England???).

I think we should start an Evo-web league when this game will have a retail version.

The only concern i have is that i have a quite busy professional live (also lots of evening work and occasional saturday work aswell), but from jack's review i deduct that you search an FA with people who have a similar schedule...that would be a good thing.

I cant see myself playing a game with fake teams, fakes players, low wages and low transfer fees

The players are real, sorry if I didn't make that clear. They have the same player licenses that they had in FM2008, they just won't put clubs in because they think it will upset things (and it will, I wouldn't pay for a game where I get a League Two side promoted and then next season get relegated straight away because of the realism - like I said in the FM2008 thread, that might be realistic, but it's not fun when there's literally nothing you can do but get beat week in week out whilst no player wants to sign for you).

So all the real players are on a free as well at the start but you cant buy them becuase nobody has enough money?

In a nutshell, yeah. At the start every single player in the database is available, the players who are superstars will have massive acquisition fees but the players who are average and better won't. You could buy one really out of this world player and then get loads of average players, but I wouldn't do that personally. You have to put together a squad that suits the way you want to play, pacey, strong, whatever you think is best.

You even get a label after you establish yourself. My team are "burly Bebington United FC". :mryellow:

Last edited:
Does sound brilliant would be great to have a Evo Web League, i dunno if that would be possible though.

You can set up your own leagues and competitions, so yes, it would be possible - but you'd all have to join the same gameworld. You can move gameworlds, but you have to make a written request to the guys who run the game. If you're genuine enough then they will be fine with it.

I join friendly cups all the time - very helpful for the reserves. Also, some events can have entry fees, meaning a prize fund. Always nice to win a few quid - I imagine...

Cracking review mate, far better than most reviews I read on respected websites!

If you start in the top division, do you have more money to spend than the lower divisions? Will players refuse to join clubs in lower divisions as they're waiting for a bigger club?

You don't start in the top division, you start in the bottom division, you don't have a say in the matter - although saying that when the new gameworlds open I think it'll be first come first served.

But if a team leaves, the division just carries on, they aren't replaced (until the end of the season). You're put in the lowest division that isn't yet full - if you don't like it then you don't join. :mryellow:

You don't "wait" for a club, you create your own; there is no taking over somebody else's. When someone quits, their club is deleted and the players are up for grabs.

But the higher divisions have bigger prize funds so yeah, you get a lot more money higher up than lower down, but you still get enough to survive and get a few decent players in. You can see the bottom division's money allocations in the background of this screenshot:

chatut7.png

Last edited:
I like the fact you have to work up to getting a good team. Makes it a lot sweeter if you do go on to become the best team in that world.

Are there "European" cups? As in cups against teams in other leagues?

And this is probably a silly question and you might have answered this, but does the game limit leagues to your nation? I noticed your profile says from Birkenhead but does the game only allow players from England to join a league or do leagues allow any country to join? Or is that one of the options that the FA chairman can set up?

Incidently, who are the FA chairman? SI staff? Or can we become chairman and create rules and complete league structures?

There are cups that span the gameworlds - they are for all intents and purposes Champions League events, with the best teams from each top-flight, but each gameworld is filled with people from all over the world. It's not a gameworld for UK players, a gameworld for French players etc... I would have liked that, but I think their view is, what do you do for countries that only have one or two players, and is it fair having some gameworlds packed out and some where there's less competition?

The FA chairmen are staff and forum do-gooders. ;) But, once you get yourself a good reputation, you can submit an idea for an FA to the SI high-ups and should they like the sound of it and it's sufficiently different from the others, then they will let you set one up.

So have you submitted any ideas so you can become a chairman and run an Evo-Web league? ;))

You can run a league no problem, you don't need permission to do that. There's ten pages of unofficial leagues and cups to enter, which is great for your reserves and trying new formations. It's creating FAs that needs permission - because you're responsible for 200+ people, you have to create official competitions for them, set the rules, make sure there's youth competitions, deal with emails from all of these guys etc...

So an Evo-Web league could be set up right now, although I wouldn't use my best players unless there was a prize fund. ;)

Last edited:
I've always read the PES Master League stories, FIFA Manager Mode stories etc. and found it fascinating, I've never had the motivation to write them - but after a few weeks on FML it's really, really tempting. The season is such a long hard slog that when you do get good wins or score good goals you really feel like writing home about it.

I took two hours last night drawing up seven new formations on pieces of paper, based on FourFourTwo's Euro 2008 supplement this month (it shows each team's formation, and it's interesting to see how teams play to their strengths in different ways).

I noticed a lot of big teams in FML were using very central formations so I switched to Russia's formation, which is a very strange one - 3-2-3-2 - and straight away we broke our drawing streak with a win. I love Portugal's formation, which is 4-2-3-1, but in FML you need the best players to back it up or it fails miserably. There's far too much space and you need long-range passers that are accurate enough to put the ball into people's paths.

I started losing the game after winning with the Russian 3-2-3-2, so I switched to the Spanish 4-1-2-3 - straight away we were attacking with much more force, shots were hitting the goalkeeper's legs and the post and everything but the back of the net. We got caught on the counter and lost 3-1, but it was such a change.

Yeah - Just got an E-mail today saying the Website is up and running. Will have a Gander later on today :DD

Sounds really Really Good :DD

Just to add a bit of balance (I don't want to sound like I've been paid off by them ;) although saying that I've already commented on a few things that bug me such as starting off as an English team with no actual English players)...

Some of the formations you see other players using seem ridiculous, I had one guy yesterday playing four defenders and then just a straight line of players, with one or two in completely random positions at the side of the pitch. What annoys me though is that he won. :eh: When everything else in the FM franchise is so realistic it makes me laugh that you see people playing formations that look like a sneeze pattern, and winning.

Starting off is very very hard, in your first season finishing mid-table is like winning the league. Every match is a slog. I've arranged some friendlies and played lots of different formations, but while the other teams have player names I instantly recognise (I played against a team called "Spurs FC" last night, they had Keane, Berbatov and Bent as well I think), I stand no chance with Bogdanovic, Jacobsen, and other players approaching 30 who I've never heard of.

It does suck you in though, because everything you fiddle with makes a noticeable difference, especially when you're on the primitive tactics skills and so you can only move the slider to one of five notches (meaning no-inbetweens, you either have e.g. VERY defensive, defensive, normal, attacking or VERY attacking). I would train myself up to add more notches but at the minute I'm learning scouting skills, which lets you see more players in the database (you can only see a very small number of players available at the start).

Squad rotation is very important as well. I found the team to have a high passing accuracy and yet all of the shots were off-target. I went into the chatroom going beserk saying "can someone please sell me a striker who can actually score, on the cheap", and one of the SI team suggested I try rotating the squad a bit more. So I changed the two strikers around with two of my reserves, and hey presto, I scored a goal in the following game. So there is a lot that's different from the previous FM games.

jack do you have to pay to play online? if so its more or less a mmo game
It IS an MMO game, that's the whole point!! :lol:

FM Live is an MMO football management game, which will "cost the same as a pint" per month to play.

FM 2009 will be coming as well, but it won't be an MMO (it will have the same options as previous FMs when it comes to multiplayer), and IMO it will be nowhere near as fun as this. Once you've played a world full of humans it's impossible to go back, it's like playing FIFA online and then playing the CPU again.

Last edited:
quality jack. we should start a evo web league and dont worrie i wont cause anylag this time :P

i realy hope this game flops because i cannot afford yet anotehr great game! if i get this my wife will divorce me

Last edited:
She already has, you are just running a year or so behind ;)).

Sorry I couldn't resist :DD. A lag joke with jonney is like a sweet shop with a kid.

Back
Top Bottom