Formula One Championship Edition (2006) PS3

Im a huge F1 fan, always been one. And your right, this game is looking FANTASTIC! This, Motorstorm, and MGS 4 are really tempting me to get a PS3...

Im a huge F1 fan, always been one. And your right, this game is looking FANTASTIC! This, Motorstorm, and MGS 4 are really tempting me to get a PS3...

It is awesome guys. Ive downloaded the demo from the PS Network and am hugely impressed.

You get to pick from a number of cars and two tracks. Really strong demo. At its visual best when you turn the weather option to heavy rain and go into first person view :)

Adonis what is the crash damage like?

Dj

Well Im not sure what the final game will be like (its already out in Japan) but on the demo no crash damage. Tbh its all very arcadey. When you start the game you have brake and turn assist already on. Ive tried turning both off and it makes it much more difficult. Probably more realistic, but not as much fun.

I am a realist so ill be turning those off when I get a chance to play it! Ill be in the States after it comes out over there so ill play it in a games store over there and if I like it I might just be doing the forbidden thing and brining a PS3 and that game home with me!

Dj

Dont bother DJ, I played a PS3 last night and it was a complete joke. So much for their uber powerful system that runs at 10 fps when there is more than three vehicles on screen at once in Motorstorm. Once I was ahead of the pack and was the only car on screen it wen tto about 25fps:lmao:

Is it really that bad deftones? lol I know the 360 sometimes slows down and drops frames but it isnt that bad :) Perhaps im right to stick with the 360?

Dj

Not quite sure how people have different views on framrate drops. Well, you have a different view than me, but I can say confidently that with my background of being a PC gamer most of my life and always building my own PC's and generally being a graphics card enthusiast, I know a horrendous framerate drop when I see one.

to go along with what deftonesmx17 said, you only have to look at PES on Xbox 360 in 60HZ mode and see the "PS2 Slowdown Bug" when the penalty box gets crowded.. sometimes its down to god awful programming in Konami's case and sometimes its just too much for the GPU to handle.....

I know where deftones is coming from being an Avid PC Gamer/Builder.

Dj

to go along with what deftonesmx17 said, you only have to look at PES on Xbox 360 in 60HZ mode and see the "PS2 Slowdown Bug" when the penalty box gets crowded.. sometimes its down to god awful programming in Konami's case and sometimes its just too much for the GPU to handle.....

I know where deftones is coming from being an Avid PC Gamer/Builder.

Dj

Fair enough guys, I guess you have better experience.

I understand what you mean about the PES slowdown, but imo I didnt see that when playing F1. I mean if it had slowdown it wasnt as visible as it is in PES.

Adonis,

I think I should make it clear that I was talking about Motorstorm and not F1. I guess I was just upset in general by seeing a PS3 game that had so much slowdown and to add a game that when played in person didnt really look all that good(and it was made worse by the shoddy fps). I was really just telling DJ to avoid the PS3..........

Adonis,

I think I should make it clear that I was talking about Motorstorm and not F1. I guess I was just upset in general by seeing a PS3 game that had so much slowdown and to add a game that when played in person didnt really look all that good(and it was made worse by the shoddy fps). I was really just telling DJ to avoid the PS3..........

oh rite sorry.

Well I cant argue with the problem that Motorstorm has regarding framerate, or the fact that its difficult to recommend a PS3 right now BUT you really think Motorstorm doesnt look that impressive? I think it looks ace.

Whether to buy a PS3 or not is another matter. Come March 23rd when its released in Europe I would recommend the machine to everyone. The launch lineup is especially strong, with games like Virtua Fighter 5, updated versions of Motorstorm and Oblivion and Virtua Tennis 3 to buy from day 1.

not to mention F1 too ;)

I would get F1 and maybe NHL 2K7 and NBA 2K7. In honesty Motorstorm doesnt look that great. I would then have a choice of getting a game on 360 or getting it on PS3 unless its a Sony game a La F1 or The Getaway.

Dont get me started on Gran Turismo, all you have to do is read my sig! :)

Dj

turismo is the best and most realistic car simulation created. not to mention graphically as well.

no other game comes close to realistically creating the physics/handling/weight/balance of so many different real world cars like gran turismo.

yes the AI needs work and there is no damage and basic collision detection, but i feel that they will work on these points a lot with the system capabilities of the ps3 which allow more complex physics and AI.

i feel i need to defend turismo because i think that people who slag it off as a shitty simulation need to stop smoking crack.

I hav been playing the Motorstorm Demo and the F1 demo and there is absolutely no slowdown. I believe that many ppl are playign the older Motorstorm demo in the kiosks which are known to be out of date. In fact, the Jap retail version appears to be even more refined than the latest demo, which is already excellent.

turismo is the best and most realistic car simulation created. not to mention graphically as well.

no other game comes close to realistically creating the physics/handling/weight/balance of so many different real world cars like gran turismo.

yes the AI needs work and there is no damage and basic collision detection, but i feel that they will work on these points a lot with the system capabilities of the ps3 which allow more complex physics and AI.

i feel i need to defend turismo because i think that people who slag it off as a shitty simulation need to stop smoking crack.
Not sure how you can say its the best simulation because it isnt! Gran Turismo 1 and 2 were acceptable as they were the 1st games on PSX. No excuses for GT3 and GT4 im afraid, the game engine is still the same arcadey experience! not in the slightest bit Simulation at all so I dont know where you get this Smoking Crack idea from. Have you ever played Forza Motorsport? Now that IS a sim game! why? Collision detection? Yep this is a present and good, Damage? yes its there and actually affects the car! Do all cars drive the same??? No depends on lots of things including their weight and the way they are set up on, Turismo? it doesnt seem to matter what the difference in weight or car setup each car seems to handle the same. AI are just a bunch of drones that dont even make it a challenge for you to overtake them and they dont even overtake each other they follow one another in single file..... Now that is NOT a simulation... if thats your idea of a Simulation you must love Need For Speed games!!!

Dj

I hav been playing the Motorstorm Demo and the F1 demo and there is absolutely no slowdown. I believe that many ppl are playign the older Motorstorm demo in the kiosks which are known to be out of date. In fact, the Jap retail version appears to be even more refined than the latest demo, which is already excellent.

Well the demo I downloaded off the US network has some slowdown. Im waiting for the European version anyways, thats supposed to have a whole host of new features e.g. Multiplayer, Online mode etc.

:lmao: Did you know the physics engine in FORZA 1 on xbox turned around at a rate of soemthing like four times the speed of Gran Turismo 4's physics engine? That alone already makes FORZA a more realistic simulation. Also, did you know the temp of the air and driving surface also affected the cars tires and engine performance in FORZA while Gran Turismo 4 didnt even have those features in its physics calculations?

Here are the facts that will crush a GT fanboys heart.
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/automotivetech/060c1196aeb84010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html
The software giant devoted more than two and a half years and the expertise of 150 employees to build Forza, digitally describing gravity, surface temperatures, friction coefficients and thousands of other factors that mimic the cause and effect of reality. Rather than simply using 0–60 times, top speeds and the standard slate of statistics available from automakers, the designers entered each car’s physical attributes—the ingredients of performance—into a physics model that predicts how that particular collection of parts would slice through the air and grab the road. (Forza's main competitor, Sony PlayStation 2’s Gran Turismo 4 , can’t match its power—GT4’s physics engine recalculates 60 times a second, Forza's runs four times as fast, at 240.)
Depending on the type of car and its number of parts, anywhere from 3,750 to 9,375 variables influence the way it drives. Tire adhesion is modeled on values for temperature and wear. Not only the wheels but every piece of the engine that spins carries its own inertia and resists forward acceleration in proportion to its size, weight and rotational speed. Each car also has its own drag coefficient, and a major dent will change the way air moves over its body, affecting handling

But let me go even furthur and talk about the joke upgrading system that was GT4. I own a Ford Taurus SHO, I am also an avid memeber of the Taurus Car Club of America. Many parts GT4 let you install on the SHO enigne are parts that are impossible to add to a Taurus. Again, how is that realistic?

i played forza on xbox and gt4 on ps3 was superior except for lack of damage and online. forza is a great game, but for me i prefer gran turismo. i will be surprised if forza 2 on 360 is widely and critically seen as superior to gran turismo 5 when it comes out, but we will have to see to compare the two properly.

Nah cant see how you can say a lifeless and depthless game like GT4 is superiour to Forza.

Of course Forza 2 wont be seen as superior to GT5 because there are too many GT Fanboys who cant accept that Forza is just a better game in terms of realism and is far closer to what we call a Simulation that Gran Turismo. You obviously dont know the difference between an Arcade Game and a Simulation Game. I spose you will be the one who plays F1 Championship Edition with no crash damage and all the assists turned on :)

Dj

Adonis,

can I ask where you played Motorstorm?

Gamesmaster gave Motorstorm a good rating....perhaps they have overlooked the problems we have discussed?

Dj

The problem is deftones most games are clones of other games ;) F1 CE will have lots of elements of F1 06 from PS2 inside it plus more features that are PS3 specific including a seemingly good crash engine and the safety car :)

Dj

Back
Top Bottom