Forza Motorsport 2

ThomasGOAL said:
I prefer a good game with good gfx (without Ferrari) than this game (Forza 2) it's my personnal choice
You mean you prefer a game where 70% of the cars drive the same due to piss poor physics and the fact that despite what many might think, Poloyphony Digital does not know how to make anything resembling a Simulation.

deftonesmx17 said:
You mean you prefer a game where 70% of the cars drive the same due to piss poor physics and the fact that despite what many might think, Poloyphony Digital does not know how to make anything resembling a Simulation.
Yes they do, only it's just a driving simulation, and not a racing one. I believe their tagline for GT is 'The REAL Driving Simulator'. Throw in a good online framework and you can toss the AI argument, which BTW I totally agree with, out the window. People are writing off next-gen GT already, at their peril IMO.

Forza 2 looks good enough for me. I heard mutterings a few days ago about how leaked in-game shots looked awful, but they look sufficient IMO. If they get that running at 60fps I'll be chuffed, and they have a sale already.

Edit - btw, latest rumour is that it will no longer ship in 2006, and a new date is to be announced at X06 (27/28 September), possibly March 2007. :(

Last edited:
But isnt the point of GT4 to race?!! WTF was that post about?

You dont win anything by DRIVING and finishing 8th.... So that post was complete bollocks.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
But isnt the point of GT4 to race?!! WTF was that post about?

You dont win anything by DRIVING and finishing 8th.... So that post was complete bollocks.

DJ
Eh?

Was that pish directed at me? I agreed GT's racing model is piss-poor, I'm pointing out that when the new GT arrives with online play that argument is no longer valid. As a driving game, which is what GT markets itself as, it's a fantastic game. If you went into GT4 expecting a rip-roaring racing experience, even if I agree that side of it is poor, then the fault is your own - anyone who played the previous editions would know exactly what to expect in that department given the previous three games. For a lot of people, although I don't include myself in this group, the fun in GT is driving and upgrading the hundreds of cars, then driving them some more. For goodness sake, look at the numerous license tests before you even get to race, get a grip.

ClassicD said:
Eh?

Was that pish directed at me? I agreed GT's racing model is piss-poor, I'm pointing out that when the new GT arrives with online play that argument is no longer valid. As a driving game, which is what GT markets itself as, it's a fantastic game. If you went into GT4 expecting a rip-roaring racing experience, even if I agree that side of it is poor, then the fault is your own - anyone who played the previous editions would know exactly what to expect in that department given the previous three games. For a lot of people, although I don't include myself in this group, the fun in GT is driving and upgrading the hundreds of cars, then driving them some more. For goodness sake, look at the numerous license tests before you even get to race, get a grip.
Previous 4 games... there has been Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo 2, then 3 followed it and funnily enough we had 4!.... each one not really offering us much different except maybe rally racing (to which was shit!) and oh new cars (lots of them we wont want to drive anyway coz they are shit). GT4 was lifeless and boring, the only good thing going for it was there were some ok cars in the game and the graphics were some of the best shown on a PS2.....

DJ

Read my post, I said if you went into GT4 having played the previous three games. How exactly do you go into GT4 having played GT1, GT2, GT3 and GT4? There were three editions prior to four (not counting the Concept editions). :roll:

Maybe you didn't want to drive those cars, lots of people did and they went and bought the game. You can write it off all you want, the fact is if the next GT has a solid online mode, practically the only fault with the series is removed.

Realistic Physics... A Damage Model... more customization options.. License tests that actually mean something? actually none of these are present in GT4....

DJ

dj, I don't know what point you are trying to make, having read both yours and Classics posts I can't follow your responses.

Ignoring the AI aspect of GT, I actually don't think it has a realistic driving model at all. That is my personal opinion. You can go into a corner at 50mph in a sports car and the car just goes straight on, it is BS. Maybe it is my style, but personally I think PGR has a more realistic driving model than GT.

djdoc360 said:
Realistic Physics... A Damage Model... more customization options.. License tests that actually mean something? actually none of these are present in GT4....

DJ
The damage model is a valid point, the rest, nonsense. The game handles absolutely beautifully IMO, especially when played with the force-feedback wheel.

More customisation options? I'll assume you mean colouring in your car and adding massive spoilers/flashy neon lights here, because you can't seriously be saying GT doesn't have any customisation options when it comes to the volume of parts that can be installed in each car, and the amount of settings that can be tweaked on each part. It's a driving simulator, read the tagline under the title, it's not Need for Speed - if you want those elements, you're looking at the wrong game.

License tests are there so you can prove capable of handling the driving model at the low end of the spectrum, before the game allows you access to the big machines. How many times do you want me to say it?

DRIVING Simulator

B00009N2KS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

P.S. Dave, sorry mate I completely disagree with you on this, but that's another argument altogether. ;)

This is how I see it:

GT = FIFA (looks, no damage, stupid AI)
FM = PES (gameplay, damage, excellent AI)

The difference: Licenses are in the right game.

Meh. For me, the only problem I have with GT is the AI. There are other problems but nothing absolutely crucial that the game can't live without. If the online is done properly in the next edition, that will be fantastic. Each to their own.

AI is my biggest gripe with GT, well that and the lack of a damage model if it had them plus its 700+ library of cars it would be The Driving Simulator. ClassicD the cars on GT4 all seem to handle the same. They all handle like shite.

DJ

ClassicD what a load of tripe your last post was? how did you get that from me saying I didnt like the AI, Lack Of Damage and the Physics?!!

DJ

LemonJelly said:
Ignoring the AI aspect of GT, I actually don't think it has a realistic driving model at all. That is my personal opinion.
Its not just your personal opinion. There is a reason why Popular Science had an article about blurring the lines between reality and video games and used Forza (a first ever version of a game) as opposed to the game that has been around for many years and is a series.......GT4. This is because when it comes down to it, GT does not have realistic physics. There is a reason why lap times in Forza match real life lap times while GT lap times do not. It has even beeen stated before (by devs) that cars in the GT series are in certain groups of handling (explains why many people feel most cars drive the same in GT). The GT series is only famed so much because of quantity..............like FIFA.........48 Skylines, 25 Lancers, 20 Imprezas........

As for ClassicD's comments on car customization...............maybe you should try playing Forza as adding a front spoiler is all about racing aerodynamics..............not "need for speed cool factor" like you are trying to say, and so your car is your car and doesnt look like every other car on the track when playing on XBL. As for volume of parts that can be installed.........most of the parts you can install in cars in GT4, are parts that are not even made for some of the cars. Hell, it was funny some of the parts the game let me place on a Ford Taurus (a car I own and customize and know does not have many of those aftermarket mods). Like poloyphony Digital really knew how it would perform with parts on it that were never a reality..........yup sound like a completly realistic driving simulator to me.:roll: At least in Forza, you could only buy parts that were options to said car in real life. Heck, some cars even let you buy larger engines if said car had that option.

@ DJ
Nice sig quote mate :)

Last edited:
@deftones well I appreciate games which have Realism which I think Forza does. GT on the other hand is like a Jeremy Clarkson Wannabe.... in need of a reality check.

DJ

DJ, I meant the cars don't handle like shite, it's your ability to drive them which is sorely lacking. Any chance to have a go at Sony, or in this case a Sony-developed Playstation exclusive, you'll be right in there. You're talking out of your hole, as always, to be blunt.

Deftones, you can adjust the spoilers for downforce in GT as well. I'll have to take your word on the car addons, tho I doubt you know of every mod in existance.

GT handles fine for me.

Deftones, you can adjust the spoilers for downforce in GT as well.
I'm aware and I think you missed the point, Forza allows you to buy a front spoiler(or as many know them as "ground effects") that affect car handling..............GT does not. I've played GT for many years and have been a fan since the original. Its not like I didnt play the game. Here is what happend. I enjoyed GT 1-3 because there was no other game like it. When GT4 came out, I bought an HDTV just so I could play it in 1080i. I enjoyed the game very much. Then a few months later a game named Forza came out. I had very little intrest in the game or the xbox, but decided to give it a whirl...............the rest is history.

I'll have to take your word on the car addons, tho I doubt you know of every mod in existance.
No, I dont know every mod in existance and even I'm not arrogant enough to act like I do, but I do know that the Ford Taurus only has homebrew mods (not aftermarket racing parts). Now do you see why I said what I said? Not very realistic when your allowed to place parts on a car that affect said cars handling when said parts do not exist for said car.

lol ClassicD listen to me! everytime I make an opinion you jump down my throat. Im sick of it now. Ninjabreakz warned me about you and now I can see what he was on about. For you info I actually like the Formula 1 game being shown for guess what???? PS3!! want me to say it again? PS3!!! oh and guess what? that game is a Sony exclusive too! they have the rights to it!!!! Anywayz, the driving model on GT games is dull lifeless and boring and the AI sucks as deftones has pointed out. On Forza the CPU tries to block you (realisticly) and makes mistakes! sometimes you could be innocently slowing down to take a corner and next thing you know THUMP! 2 cpu cars battling with each other have outbraked themselves and hit you and DAMAGED your beautifully done up car! now thats what I call a game!

Realism GT doesnt really much of that, its physics model is only marginally better than the Sketchy one of Test Drive Unlimited. Forza has Realism in this respect. Forza is the way forward GT is still staying put which it has done since GT2.

DJ

As much as I loved GT4 with the official GT4 wheel, I used to get really annoyed at the lack of damage, not being able to turn the cars over, and the AI. I hope this fixes all of those problems.

djdoc360 said:
lol ClassicD listen to me! everytime I make an opinion you jump down my throat. Im sick of it now. Ninjabreakz warned me about you and now I can see what he was on about. For you info I actually like the Formula 1 game being shown for guess what???? PS3!! want me to say it again? PS3!!! oh and guess what? that game is a Sony exclusive too! they have the rights to it!!!! Anywayz, the driving model on GT games is dull lifeless and boring and the AI sucks as deftones has pointed out. On Forza the CPU tries to block you (realisticly) and makes mistakes! sometimes you could be innocently slowing down to take a corner and next thing you know THUMP! 2 cpu cars battling with each other have outbraked themselves and hit you and DAMAGED your beautifully done up car! now thats what I call a game!

Realism GT doesnt really much of that, its physics model is only marginally better than the Sketchy one of Test Drive Unlimited. Forza has Realism in this respect. Forza is the way forward GT is still staying put which it has done since GT2.

DJ

DJ, although you raise some good points about GT4, you also raise some shockingly ignorant points. The cars in GT4 don't handle all the same at all. You need to play GT4 for longer than the short time you obviously have, and you need to play it with the official wheel. It's brilliant then.

Slobber, I hate to say this but I have played GT4 for quite long sessions before and got totally bored with it. I felt no real sense of speed and the lack of realism with the physics/damage and a lot of cars which I wouldnt bother with.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom