fraps

peat

League 2
7 August 2004
Anyone got any ideas as to why when I try and record a replay off PES5 that fraps kills the fps to 10 and the recording is complete crap.

Ive got a decent enough pc that fraps records off Battlefield 2 perfectly fine.
Ive tried running the demo at 640x480 then recording with no sound at half size and at 25fps but it still kills the fps to 10.
Im on the latest drivers from Nvidia so could it be a codec problem?
cheers

Yeah im getting the same problem kills mine down to 2 fps and really jerky i got over 3hhz processor

Not an Amd problem then...
Ive put a tech support question into Fraps so Ill pass on any info they come out with.

This was the reply. It doesnt help me though.
---------------------------
Thanks for your inquiry. Does this problem occur in every game you try or is it just Pro Evolution Soccer 5?
>
> Usually this kind of problem is related to outdated drivers on your system, in particular the display drivers for your video card, so I'd recommend making sure that they are up to date. Since you have a Geforce card you can get the 78.01 forceware drivers from Nvidia at:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_78.01.html
>
> Also, if you've altered any BIOS settings you may want to make sure that you have DMA enabled for your hard drives. Also if you have an AGP aperture setting you should set it to match the amount of video memory on your video card. Since you have a 256mb card please make sure the AGP aperture size is set to 256.
>
> I hope this helps!

From what I've read the general rule of thumb is to set your AGP aperture size half the gcard memory. Other than that, the reply seems to be a very general answer to any problem you could ever have with any game.

Yep, Ive replied saying it doesnt help. It is only PES5 demo that this problem occurs on though.

Well I don't know but I haven't heard of Konami licencing anybody elses game engines. Fraps relies on the game engine to flip between graphics buffers in a certain way. Maybe fraps interferes with the PES engine.

What version of Fraps are you using? I downloaded the free 1.9D version that allows you to choose which speed fraps captures frames at. It has a direct effect on in-game speed. At 10fps it's like activating a slow-mo trainer. At 30fps it's almost normal. It's a stop-gap measure for now.

screen.png

I'm def getting PES on PC. With fraps it's so easy to show off my gratuitious skill scenes, the cheating pushing AI, my glorious misses, and of course the goals. :)

I've scored about 2 or 3 corkers but before I got fraps :( Hopefully there's more in me.

the recording will have nothing to do with your graphics card or processor; and everything to do with how fast your hard drive can save data (in high resolutions at a high fps, a raw .avi can get into the hundreds of mb size after just a few seconds!)

With 30fps then at a high resolution, fraps is trying to capture every frame of that... so it slows the game down so it can save each of those frames. If there is an option to NOT synchronise fraps and the game (i know there is in my version of fraps) turn that on. Then it will just try and grab the frames it can when they happen without slowing the game down to get them.

Yeah your right Celeborn. The motherboard bus speed would also have a large impact (depending on how old your mobo is). Also, synchronising seems to be my problem, although I haven't encountered this problem before. What verison of Fraps are you using??

In my case, the game works better when Fraps is set at 30fps. When I set fraps to 10fps (the whole idea of which is to improve performance) it actually has a negative impact, slowing down the game.

The problem could be software based, being that the PES5 demo engine is not 100% compatible with Fraps. Especially since, AFAIK, the PES engine is proprietary and built from the ground up to port the game to PC rather than specifically take advantage of the PC. Fraps operating at a low fps, clicks the game into the same fps as if it takes over control of the buffer swapping speed.

I mean, my computer spec should piss all over PES as I'm able to run the demo windowed whilst checking out other programs such as chat and d/l progress (and even recording Fraps at the same time). And when Fraps is not recording the PES fps just stays maxed out at the VSync limit, hmmm... VSync...

Ok guys i now use taksi which is much better no problems recording now still very playable while recording

Cheers Bart, Im gona go try taksi.
as for Fraps I have version 2.6.4 and theres no options to sync or anything.
As for vsync ive tried both settings and it makes no difference at all.

Just tried that taksi eeeek.. it killed my system down like like 0.2fps!

I just received another email from fraps telling me to try a different HD or defrag my HD. Tried both them still nout.

Back
Top Bottom