Freekicks?!

Morientes

Conference
30 October 2006
What have Konami changed in PES6 freekicks compared to PES5? I find it IMPOSSIBLE to score a freekick goal! Do you have to do something different now than in PES5 because in that game I was guite good at it...

I find it fairly easy.

Dont bother with curl just hit is straight at the corner and hold back if you are very close.

Also aim between players heads and at the shorter players.

Hm, I shouldn't curl it you say. That is a big change from PES5, there you had to curl it a lot. In fact I think free kicks worked great in 5, why did they change it?

Well, seeing how curling in reality makes it harder for goalies and humans in general to judge the trajectory, it seems the wrong approach to make it more beneficial to not curl the ball on freekicks. But as I've stated before, the Freekicks in PES6 are terribly unsatisfying and the main reason I don't play PES6 (coupled with alot of other annoyances and changes I think are kinda unnecessary).

The main difference I've noticed is that you no longer hold R1 to add extra strength to the free kick. I only found this out by having a look at the command list in the pause menu. R1 and L1 are now used to alter the direction of the free kick during the run-up, so best to leave those buttons alone I think, unless you think it needs to be shifted slightly in either direction.

I have found that free kicks only tend to get close between 24 and 28 metres out. If it's 26-28m out I tend to hold up on the analogue stick for extra speed, and then after the ball has been kicked I roll the analogue stick down to add some dip. If it's 24 or 25m out I only use the shoot button and maybe add the slightest curl with the D-pad after the ball has been kicked.

Like people said, curl does not seem to work on PES6, so try and get a relatively straight shot, although I like to put it very slightly to the right (or left for left-footed players) to allow for the slight natural curl of the ball.

It's also important to remember that :triangle: now adds a bit of backspin/extra height to the ball and :x: now adds a bit of topspin/dip to the ball.

The free kicks are really quite different this year, and I imagine most people are still holding R1 and tapping triangle like on PES5, which of course screws things up.

I don't understand why they changed it. I was pretty good at it in pes 5 and now i've only scored 2. Anyway probably it just needs some more practice..

I like the new free kicks, skilled players can score a high percentage of their free kicks.
You also need a taker with good fk accuracy and curling but anyone with fk accuracy over 75 can score a few.
Online on pes5 LOADS of people could score free kicks and it was annoying that you could lose 1-0 to a flukey free kick goal when you dominated the rest of the match.
On pes6 not many people can so its a real art to do it, which is good. If you don't score enough free kicks, get practicing them.

I like the new free kicks, skilled players can score a high percentage of their free kicks.
You also need a taker with good fk accuracy and curling but anyone with fk accuracy over 75 can score a few.
Online on pes5 LOADS of people could score free kicks and it was annoying that you could lose 1-0 to a flukey free kick goal when you dominated the rest of the match.
On pes6 not many people can so its a real art to do it, which is good. If you don't score enough free kicks, get practicing them.

I agree in part. Skilled players can score a fair percentage of FKs from close range. But what bothers me is the incredibly steep dropoff in sucessful freekicks as distance increases.
It should be harder to score from long range obviously, but not impossible as it is now (and if you score from 30+ metres it is because the goalkeeper is retarded, since he usually will use his unrealistic superspeed to reach the top corner you are aiming for in a millisecond and then wait there for the ball to arrive, only to fumble it).

And I don't see what is so unrealistic with scoring lots of FK goals. Any freekick from 22-26 metres is a given goal opportunity, and any player with decent freekick abilities can score (And where top players will score or come close almost every time, and poor players have a hard time getting enough accuracy and speed on the ball to trouble the keeper).

Compared to the real world, PES5 was alot better than PES6 imo. I am not taking into account any personal opinions about how frustrating it is to loose to a freekick goal. IMO PES should only be judged and compared to real life soccer, and comparing goalkeeper speed, response and abilities, they come fairly close to real-life, whereas PES6 keepers are so overexaggerated it is comical.

Yes, there isn't enough scored from long range. I admit that.
The tap-out and whack works well though :D Scored some belters with Gerrard/Scholes/Riise from round 30m. (the one where the you press L1+R1 twice to set the player up)
I just hate it online when people have a free kick round 22m in the centre and pass it short when theres a clear shooting chance from it, as if they are scared to shoot.
A couple of days ago with C. Ronaldo I hit a great free kick from 26m into the top corner, in off the post and crossbar at the same time with power, keeper nearly got there though which was unrealistic.

Its insane that Konami change a thing like this!!

Some times I can't help but wonder how amazing a game PES6 could be if it were in the hands of a developer that cared more about the customers.

For starters they could release patches that fixed obvious problems! That the r1 and r2 buttons aren't working anymore must be a bug! It makes NO sense to change the way it was in PES5!

Also they could change it so you could add more teams and weren't restricted to using the slots of existing teams.

It really is scary to think of how good this game COULD be. But alot of it is ofcourse because they have to support the stupid consoles.

it was changed because PES5 was a simple put the power just above halfway aim at the far corner and bam its in simple as that

Now you have to judge the wall, the keeper, the height of the way, the type of freekick, which curl to use

as someone in one of the guide threads mentioned about keepers moving early (totaly true) the L1 and R1 trajectory change works wonders and you can catch the keeper out on occasions

also cross from close free kicks are much better now :D

They are not that hard on PES6, when I was at my mates house we had a few games and 4 free kicks went in when we were using only half decent teams and a couple of top teams.
2 of my mates were there and neither of them could score free kicks on PES5 but yet they scored one each, I scored two.
I like the free kicks.

I can't score on a free kick to save my life. I've played somewhere over 50 games in the short time I've had PES6, and only last night did I finally score.

Ok, the way I do it is:
1) Choose the best free kick taker for the situation (most of the time the one with higher fk accuracy but from further away shot power would also be important)
2) Power up to exactly half way, then a really small tap on square again to power just over half way, this adds dip
3) Use down on power for short free kicks (<21m) no extra power for medium distance (22m-26m) and anything over 26m use up and triangle
4) Curl is very important, keepers almost always save straight free kicks, curling away from the keeper is normally the best option however curling towards the goal can be good sometimes.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Happy free kicks :)

i have been playing PES6 sine it came out and i have scored only one freekick so far and that also with C. Ronaldo. I am yet to score another one.
thats Konami's so called improvements! (sarcasm)

"That the r1 and r2 buttons aren't working anymore must be a bug!"
did you read the manual??? if you did, you would know that this isnt a bug!

additional to robs suggestions:
every player's fk-behaviour differs from other players!
its almost ineffective to curl a fk with lampard/scholes! so probably the best you can do is to shoot direct and powerful!
otherwise giggs is a gifted curler. he's able to add very much spin to fks! and when your know how to adopt these skills (curling is very extreme on short ranges with low power and not so extreme on far ranges with lots of power) you will score your fks!

Nah, curling with Scholes or Lampard is quite important too. The slightest curl helps. With the players who hit with power the inside of the foot is the best choice. The curl adds to the dip, outside of the foot or straight seems not to dip enough for me but inside of the foot can get over the wall and down easier.

The lay-off ones with players with powerful shots often result in some great goals, with Liverpool Riise or Gerrard nail these quite a lot. It is one of the only ways to score a free kick from distance.

try to curl it over the wall..

recently i've mastered free kicks.

this is my build

UP + RIGHT (or left if he's right footed) + Shoot
when i let go i press Triangle to give it more power.

works well

okey, free kick nr 10 is from Juninho, nr 9 is Ronaldinho and nr 5 is Beckham, but all those other, wrom what player are those? And which one is the best/ most succesfull and from which distance?! tia :)

I find the Juninho style has the most accuracy and good power, Beckham has the most curl, very good accuracy and you can get good power. Ronaldinho gets huge dip, useful for getting over the wall but less power and accuracy than most others. I find Carlos useless, only way to get a good shot is to lay it off to him then belt it but sometimes the opponents can close it down and take the ball before you even get to it!
My favourite is Beckham, very good accuracy, good power and unbelievable curl.

Back
Top Bottom