Frisk - immediate retirement/ A tool of UEFA?!?!

Frisk, a tool or not.

• Yes.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No.

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Milanista

Mangiamoli!
19 December 2002
London & Milan
AC Milan
Hes a shite referee, but retiring like this?

Death threats force Frisk to retire

Swedish referee Anders Frisk is to retire with immediate effect following a number of threats aimed at him and his family. Bo Karlsson, chairman of Sweden's football referees association, confirmed Frisk's exit from the game but refused to divulge any details of the nature of the threats.

He told the Swedish news agency TT, www.ttt.se: 'I don't want to go into the details, Anders will have to talk about that. 'But the threats have been serious enough. We have spoken and I can confirm he is quitting.' Frisk was in charge of the controversial match between Chelsea and Barcelona in the Champions League last month which saw the Spanish side emerge with a 2-1 first-leg victory. After the game Blues boss Jose Mourinho accused his Barcelona counterpart Frank Rijkaard of speaking to Frisk in his dressing room at half-time. Chelsea were also unhappy with the red card Frisk awarded to striker Didier Drogba. In September Frisk abandoned the Champions League clash at Roma's Olympic Stadium when Dynamo Kiev were the visitors after being struck on the head by an object thrown from the crowd. He was scheduled to referee the World Cup qualifying match between Estonia and Slovakia on March 26.

For those who dont know him, hes this man:
Frisk_SB.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Anders Frisk Immediate Retirement

Its for the good of the game. Hes a right prick anyway!

Mourinho's irresponsible comments are to blame for this. He used to fire up fans in Portugal as well, which is not a very wise thing to do.

knh4 said:

delicate statement. i dont know why he's currently takin the piss in britain, thew red card for drogba (2nd yellow) was absolutely justified regarding international standards, and it's a shame to see chelsea supporters and officials weeping and complaning about referee decisions, just to win the rematch by scoring a totally irregular goal. that makes no sense chelsea!

2nd, we had the same shit after the euro 2004 game portugal - england, where things were really getting personal. just because those people couldn't accept that englands goal in extra time goal hasn't been given - although, from a neutral point of view, we all know this decision was absolutely right.

Last edited:

Shame, he wasn't a bad ref, there are plenty worse in the premiership, under sad circumstances that he has had to leave the game.

knh4 said:
I'd like to see you do better.

He was a good ref. Shame he has to leave like this.

People just can't accept decisions, Drogba's 1st and 2nd yellow cards were absolutely justified, as Julien has pointed out.

He also got a coin thrown at him in the Stadio Olympico earlier this season in the Champions League by some c*nt of a Roma fan who couldn't accept his decision to send off two Roma players.

He also failed to handle the Valencia-Werder Bremen game where i think 4 players were sent off in 10 minutes.

Look, he must've been a good ref, or else they wouldn't have put him on the UEFA Elite list.

Stop having a go, refereeing is a tough job, and I would know.

Leave the poor bloke alone.

Tim7 said:
Look, he must've been a good ref, or else they wouldn't have put him on the UEFA Elite list.

Stop having a go, refereeing is a tough job, and I would know.

Leave the poor bloke alone.

Agreed! He was a great referee, if you compare him with some other referees.. He was absolutly class. I remember some Dutch players who said something like: ''If our referees would be like the level of Frisk or Collina then we wouldnt have discussion'' I think such a comment says it all?

For those of you who think its because of Chelsea, I wouldnt be too confident about it. No information on the callers were revealed, so it can even be some bad decision in the Swedish league.

Is there anymore information? How did they threatin him? did they call him?

STOCKHOLM, March 12 (Reuters) - Anders Frisk said worries over his own and his family's safety especially since the contentious Champions League Barcelona v Chelsea game had prompted him to quit refereeing.

'The threats toward me have escalated the last few weeks after the Barcelona-Chelsea game,' Frisk said on Sweden's football federation website on Saturday.

Frisk said he had received personal death threats since the match.

'It's not worth carrying on... My safety and the safety of my family goes before anything else. These last few weeks have been the worst of my life.'

The first-leg knockout clash had ended in controversy after Chelsea accused Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard of trying to influence the match by speaking to Frisk at halftime.

Chelsea, who were leading 1-0 at halftime, were doubly angered when Frisk harshly sent off striker Didier Drogba early in the second half. Manager Jose Mourinho refused to attend the mandatory news conference and his conduct is being investigated by UEFA.

'I still say that what I did in Barcelona was correct,' Frisk told the daily Aftonbladet.

The London club went on to win the second leg 4-2 to claim a 5-4 aggregate victory and a place in the quarter-finals.

'Chelsea have supporters in many parts of the world, so all of them (the threats) didn't come from England,' Frisk said.

'Soon it will be impossible to referee a Champions League match if the clubs can't accept defeat or a player being sent off,' said Frisk, who has been involved in controversy before.

Last September at Rome's Rome's Olympic Stadium Frisk was struck on the head by an object thrown from crowd during a Champions League match betwen AS Roma and Dynamo Kiev. He abandoned the game saying the host club could not guarantee the safety of the officials.

In December Claudio Ranieri, at the time Valencia's coach, openly criticised the Swede after his side went out of the Champions League following a 2-0 home defeat by Werder Bremen.

The Italian said that after watching the game he understood why Frisk had been hit on the head in Rome.

Frisk is not the first referee to receive serious threats.

Swiss referee Urs Meier was the target of British fans after disallowing England's 90th minute goal in the Euro 2004 quarter-final against Portugal.

'The same kind of threats have hit me. Urs kept on going but I can't take it, I simply don't have the strength for it,' said Frisk, who could have continued refereeing for three more years.

Thanks for that, Juventus11.

Just goes to show what idiots there are out there.

I've seen articles a couple of years ago when a referee was stabbed to death after a match. I think it was maybe lower division but its still amazing what people can do over something so little. I think its better for him to get out before it escalates to the point where he is actually injured or hurt.

Tim7 said:
I'd like to see you do better.

He was a good ref. Shame he has to leave like this.

People just can't accept decisions, Drogba's 1st and 2nd yellow cards were absolutely justified, as Julien has pointed out.

He also got a coin thrown at him in the Stadio Olympico earlier this season in the Champions League by some c*nt of a Roma fan who couldn't accept his decision to send off two Roma players.

Frisk is qualified to be a referee, im not!

R Dubua said:
I've seen articles a couple of years ago when a referee was stabbed to death after a match. I think it was maybe lower division but its still amazing what people can do over something so little. I think its better for him to get out before it escalates to the point where he is actually injured or hurt.
That's terrible. Some real nutters out there.

Milanista said:
He also failed to handle the Valencia-Werder Bremen game where i think 4 players were sent off in 10 minutes.

sorry milan but have you actually seen the game? those 10 minutes were a complete disgrace thanks to some valencia players (vicente, angulo). btw angulo was the only player sent off for a very high tackle on valdez near the touchline plus spitting at some werder player. afterwards vicente went all crazy on borowski, etc.

so concering this match valencia is to blame, because their disability to score at home against bremen turned into pure frustration and embarrassing agressive behaviour. shame on you to blame the referee for that mate

cheers

i didnt really like this ref, but the way he went was pretty poor

its just gettin more pathetic now, a referee shouldnt be subject to this abuse, he is just doing his job.

they should gas these football hooligans

Tim7 said:
Exactly, so don't have a go at him!

Ill have a pop at him all i want. If i think hes shit in his profession ill say it just as anyone could say it to me.

I never thought of him as a great referee, but going this way! :\
There are alot worse refs around, and he wasn't among the worse!

He was hit in the head with a bloody coin, when he was reff against Roma.

Have to say I've not been that impressed with him, I don't feel he controls the match and has the players respect. To have him compared to Collina is ridiculous, now there is a man with whom no one fucks! But despite not really approving of Frisk for Internationals or important European matches, it is bad to see referees getting this sort of treatment. At the end of the day its the hardest job in football, you're guarenteed abuse every week. I just think there are much worse refs out there so why pick on Frisk? domesically, we see much worse, Uriah Rennie :mad: for example..

knh4 said:
Ill have a pop at him all i want. If i think hes shit in his profession ill say it just as anyone could say it to me.
You're the sort of person that makes him retire.

Maybe Knh4 was the person who scared him.....

As long as it worked its fine with me. next? Btw Tim, sorry if my hatred for Frisk seems to hurt your feelings so much.

knh4 said:
As long as it worked its fine with me. next? Btw Tim, sorry if my hatred for Frisk seems to hurt your feelings so much.
Your a prick mate.

Back
Top Bottom