GAME buys Gamestation

FlawlessCowboy

Stunted
5 July 2004
Coventry, UK
European retailer GAME has acquired its nearest High Street competitor Gamestation for GBP 74 million (EUR 108m).

The market leader now adds Gamestation's 217 stores to its group, and intends to keep the branding of both outlets separate.

"We are delighted to bring Gamestation into our portfolio and believe it has a strong future within the group," said GAME chairman Peter Lewis.
"The Gamestation business is one we have long admired and is complementary to our existing business in terms of both store portfolio and target customers."

"By investing in both brands we will further enhance the group's retail strategy while continuing to deliver and broaden our consumer reach. I am confident that this transaction will add considerable value to GAME and its shareholders over the coming years," added Lewis.

GAME lists Gamestation's standing amongst the more hardcore gamer as a key reason for the acquisition, compared to GAME's more mainstream offering.
GAME has unconditionally acquired the entire share capital of Gamestation for GBP 74 million, on a debt, cash and tax free basis.

For the year ended December 31, Gamestation reported revenues of GBP 203.5 million (EUR 298.7m) and profit of GBP 2.1 million (EUR 3.08m).

At least at the moment they plan to keep them both seperate. I wonder how long that will last though?

I much prefer Gamestation to GAME though. Maybe its just my area, but the Gamestation staff always seem much more enthusiastic and know what they're talking about when it comes to the game your buying.

Trade in prices are loads better at Gamestation too!

They probably would keep their brands separate...as Dixons and Currys have done for years. I definitely agree that Gamestation staff are much friendlier than their GAME counterparts (which is perhaps not the best standard...I've seen more friendly Argos staff than I have seen at GAME!).

I agree with both of you, GAME staff are arrogant gits, Gamestation staff seem to actually like games. This move can only be a bad thing.

I'm sure GAME have a policy in the employee handbook that says you have to be a smug arrogant cunt to work there, hell I have even seen more helpful people in PC World. My local GAME store has gone really shit since it got refurbished, instead of two floors and a wide selection of games, its all on one floor and really cramped, and the staff seem to stand behind the counter, arms folded, looking stony-faced at you as if you're a shoplifter. You'd only have to be on one of the display console units for about 2 minutes and they tell you "you've had enough time on that now"...... FFS.

Gamestation is far better though, been to a few of their stores in the surrounding areas and the staff are very enthusiastic and know their stuff. Also if you're one of these who collects retrogaming stuff it is the ONLY place to go, cos GAME don't give a fuck about old classic relics. Anyway I once worked in the local store when it was opened 3 years ago and the other guys were great apart from one who, ironically was an ex-GAME employee and he was the most arrogant cunt imaginable, and hated me from the start. Ended up giving my notice because I was gonna twat him!! :lol:

This news of the takeover can only be a bad thing, I reckon it won't be long and GAME will stamp their authority, then absorb Gamestation under its own brand.

The gamestation in my old area (Andover Hampshire) were a bunch of arrogant metal heads... also they ripped me off by flogging me Call Of Duty 3 for 39.99 and the disk was scratched to hell...

Back in December 2005 they screwed me out of a so-called Guaranteed Xbox 360 pre-order (I was 23rd in line and they had 27)

Dealings that ive had in my new area (Trowbridge Wiltshire) with a Game store have been tonnes better. If ive had problems they have been very quick to help me. I guess it depends where you go.

Dj

I had a similar problem with GAME. I recall buying GTA III for PC a few years ago and the disc looked like it had an indentation on it. Anyway when I tried to install the game it became apparently clear that my CD drive couldn't read the disc because of this defective disc, so I took it back asking for a replacement. The knobhead at the counter said I couldn't because I'd already opened the game - I said "how could I not see if the disc was defective if I didn't open the thing in the first place?". He still wasn't having it, so I asked to see the manager, who was just as bullish. Only when I threatened to contact the OFT that they gave in, so I got a refund and got the game elsewhere.

I know Gamestation don't keep their games in the plastic wrap, they always take the disc and manuals out of the boxes and keep them in plastic wallets in drawers behind the counter - also they got a 28 day money back guarantee no matter what happens with the game, even if you buy it and fucking hate it. Bet that policy will go once GAME's company regs kick in,

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say I much prefer Gamestation (and its staff) than Game, I find Game far overpriced and not nearly half as much variety in games.

also they got a 28 day money back guarantee no matter what happens with the game, even if you buy it and fucking hate it. Bet that policy will go once GAME's company regs kick in,
Precisely what I'm most worried about. :(

I've had the same problem as you describe, bought Half-Life from GAME only to find the disc wouldn't read in the disc drive. They refused a refund because I'd opened the game, and even when I quoted them my rights as a consumer ("if the product is not fit for the purpose it was purchased for then you are entitled to a refund with 28 days of purchase"), they wouldn't have it.

I've still got it in the loft, somewhere.

JB Thats also a concern of mine, its great to have the ability to try the game and if you dont like it you have the chance to take it back for a full refund..

Dj

I remember when Half Life 2 was released, Gamestation had a big information banner by every counter that stated that due to the registration process with Steam, you could not return the game as a trade-in, only if the game was faulty for a refund or a replacement. Think that was the only time they put such a rule in place, because of the registration shiznit (blame Valve for such a thing!).

I really don't know what GAME's return policy is now, I haven't bought anything from them since that GTA escapade. Still got their reward card which I haven't used for about 4 years, maybe I should chuck it in the bin? :lol:

Mmm... I wonder how much market share that is.... before the competition policy consider this as a monopoly.

Because GAME may "fix" the prices of Gamestation so as them NOT to be lower than GAME stores, in essence this is bad for the consumer as it is not allowing competition... and thus they are price makers.

Anyway... I want them to break up.... unless them buying Gamestation mean they can cut staff to lower prices (which I doubt will happen)...

The gamestation in my old area (Andover Hampshire) were a bunch of arrogant metal heads... also they ripped me off by flogging me Call Of Duty 3 for 39.99 and the disk was scratched to hell...

Back in December 2005 they screwed me out of a so-called Guaranteed Xbox 360 pre-order (I was 23rd in line and they had 27)

Dealings that ive had in my new area (Trowbridge Wiltshire) with a Game store have been tonnes better. If ive had problems they have been very quick to help me. I guess it depends where you go.

Dj

thats where i am dj.

do you know of a baguette shop in andover?

i am the arrogant twat that works in there :)

I know the baguette shop :) I used to go there often.

Dj

i must have served u a few times then.

=D

103652__brokeback_l.jpg

oh yes, i remember now. you alwys wanted extra mayo right?

Mmm... I wonder how much market share that is.... before the competition policy consider this as a monopoly.

Because GAME may "fix" the prices of Gamestation so as them NOT to be lower than GAME stores, in essence this is bad for the consumer as it is not allowing competition... and thus they are price makers.

I thought that as well because we have a Gamestation just around the corner from Game

Anyway... I want them to break up.... unless them buying Gamestation mean they can cut staff to lower prices (which I doubt will happen)...

Someone has been reading their economics textbook! ;)

Someone has been reading their economics textbook! ;)

icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL! I do have my A-Levels like starting in two weeks, need those AAAA to get to uni, so might as well incorporate studies into life so I remember it more easily LOL!

Its all to do with Gamestop, the US games chain who also has outlets in Ireland.

Regarding who has more of foothold worldwide Gamestop trounces Game. There were reports a few weeks back that Gamestop would be coming to Europe in a big way. It was even rumoured they might purchase Game! I think buying Gamestation is a direct reaction to that claim. I still think Gamestop will come over here eventually.

As a company Game really frustrates me. In retail its the top outlets for turnover, beating places like Selfridges, Debenhams etc easily. All they seem to do is expand and open more and more shitty stores. What they need to do is pump that money into existing stores.

Since working for Virgin Ive realised how much fun it should be to work in a games department. All Game throw at you is targets, add on sales and pre-orders. Staff get fed up quickly and end up in a job they hate. All I do is play games all day, just how it should be ;)

Game has a 14 day policy which you can return the game, but their games arn't as cheap and you dont get as much for them.

Gamestation doesn't have that policy but their games are cheaper, you get more for them and they sell more items! And PMSL every gamestation does have heavy metal workers in it, it must be in their policy.

Game's policy has changed mate, it was never 14 days, it was 10 days at one stage, but they have stopped that since before Christmas, now every item you buy has a sticker put on it, you can return the item upto 28 days later, but the sticker has to be intact, and its a bastard to remove without it coming apart on you, so good luck.

Game may well of took over a competitor in order to control market share, but think if your a Game shareholder and GameStop want to get into the UK market, they easily big enough to buy Game outright, thus your shares will rise if there is a chance that would happen, taking over another chain only adds weight to your shares as you have an infrastructure and now a bigger share in the market, GameStop want stores quickly, its a simple way to buy it as a job lot, and even then they may not want to rebrand, or they could do it slowly rather than looking for sites, and getting staff etc.

:/ thats mince, I avoid buying stuff from game, I thought it was just me that thought they were wankers. I took a game back after I had played it and didnt like it and the guy moaned about it not being a rental shop and to read reviews before buying. Fat goatee tosser still works in the shop aswell.

So yeah, this is bad :/

The good thing IMHO about Game is that they do straight swaps most of the time without arguing on consoles.

Back
Top Bottom