Gameplay Football: a new promising independent game

ey man, awesome stuff.

Just and idea for the future. Try to implement this with Football manager. It would create the greatest Manager mode of all time.

here i am, reporting for duty! ;)

first of all, thank you for all your replies and suggestions!

i will reply to you guys/gals personally soon, but first i need to set up a forum page where i can write down all suggestions so i won't forget about them, and so people know what suggestions already have been done. i've been getting a lot of mails and suggestions on other forum threads as well, so i need one or two days to organize and recuperate from all sudden attention! i love it, but it caught me a bit off-guard :D

so forgive me for now, i'll be back with some replies to you this week :) thanks so much for all your posts!

Hello and Welcome to our forums! :D

Great to have you on here mate and we'll make sure we do our best to supply you with all the ideas possible, and believe me, there are tons after years and years of PES (and Fifa).

If you want help with your project, I think you might find a few here, especially in the editing/patching forum, who can lend a hand.

Looking forward to seeing more of this :)

i will reply to you guys/gals personally soon, but first i need to set up a forum page where i can write down all suggestions so i won't forget about them, and so people know what suggestions already have been done. i've been getting a lot of mails and suggestions on other forum threads as well, so i need one or two days to organize and recuperate from all sudden attention! i love it, but it caught me a bit off-guard :D

so forgive me for now, i'll be back with some replies to you this week :) thanks so much for all your posts!

Hi and welcome! Your work is truly amazing, and I've done my share on game programming, so I really appreciate your work.

To make it short and don't make you dizzy with a ton of suggestions, I will put what I consider more important on a first glimpse:

- Are there stats for short passing, long passing and shooting?
- Would imply a lot of work to implement a two-tiered system for fatigue?
- How are you working on the AI? Is there any kind of algorithms managing the team as a whole, it's simply each individual reacting to certain things near them or a blend of both? It's probably the most complex area to work on, so I'm curious to see how are you conceptualizing it.

Thanks a lot for registering to the board, and again, truly an amazing work, you are very talented.

If you want somebody to do faces I'm your man.

I can do a happy face :-) suprised :-0 and if you ask me to create a football game I can do a really good confused face :-s.

Let me know.

Being an admin doesn't make them sensible

They sound like childish people who are probably bladed by FIFA

Being an admin doesn't make them sensible

They sound like childish people who are probably bladed by FIFA

Yes, they are promoting EA games probably, and that why they acted like that. If only i could let everybody know about that. They should rename the url to EAgamingonly.com

I feel so sorry for people in soccergaming.com
I made a topic for this game and the administrator edited and ruined the topic for no reason. See for yourself (especially the last option of the poll, which he voted 38 times).
They should be ashamed. Can anyone tell me a reason for doing such thing?

http://www.soccergaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173702

That is incredibly shit, shame on them. I really doubt anyone at EA would condone such pathetic behaviour and they really wouldn't want that kind of fucktard associated with them.

We're much more mature than that here, sometimes ;)

Nice game man im really impressed. From the get go I think you should have closed testers (me being one) to play any more beta releases. After much discussion keep testing with trusted closed testers until a version is agreed upon for pubic testing. I am openly saying right now that I will be your right hand man through your quest for footy simulation. I will tell you good and bad in clear words. Gameplay is everything and both EA and Konami have not realized this simple fact. Let me know, but im 100 percent behind this.

Great stuff, just had a quick play and I have to say this is fantastic work especially considering the fact that it's just one man's work :).

As others have alluded to, I believe this forum is a good place to look for feedback, we have some great minds on here who can provide excellent suggestions and constructive criticism.

One gameplay feature I'd love to see would be one that myself and Gab often bring up in regards to PES/FIFA - error in touches when dribbling, especially when sprinting and/or with poorer players. Even when just jogging with the ball "under control", each touch could have a degree of error.

Personally, gameplay is everything to me when it comes to footy games so I hope this remains your priority despite the obvious calls you'll get from the (casual) public to make the visuals/animations smooth and fancy.

I also have some free time having just completed my final uni assignment of this year and I have a week off work from tomorrow, so I may be able to help with the database :).
Edit - Just read the file saying the database files won't be compatible with the full version - I'll hold off then for now but I will do whatever I can when the time comes. I also have Photoshop and have some basic skills in it which could hopefully be of some use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if sprint speed could be tied to dribbling error? So that the quicker you are running the more your dribbling error grows. Messi can run flat out without having the ball leave his foot but even another great player in Ronaldo can't really run flat out and still have the ball under total control. I think that's one of the points where Ronaldo is weaker than Messi. He can still dribble at high speed but nowhere near Messi's level of close ball control.

Last edited:
Fantastic game for one man, hats off.

One thing i would like to see in football games is a sort of "temper" stat. Some players should have revenge reactions after tackles. I realize that this is dangerous and perhaps difficult to achieve, but the random red card now and then would be realistic when you play a season. Players like Joey Barton should have higher stats than zenlike players like Gary Linneker (couldn't think of a present day example). There are much more important gameplay elements, but new games need distinctive features and this could be one.

Anyway, i'm not very good at this, i like to play football games, but i'm far from an authority. I wish you success, hope you can achieve your dreams. A third good football game would be the best thing that can happen...

It is true that people who have in their first priority gameplay in a football game, this title will like them. I'm one of those people and i believe that if (especially) pes disappoint us once again, we will stuck with Gameplay Football.

The only thing needed is Baz listen to the community (and i know he will) and make the game easy to edit (including faces, kits, scoreboards, stadiums and many more).

My main worry is that it becomes so good that a studio like Ubisoft come in for it. That kind of thing is hard to refuse for a developer but the game would completely lose its identity and become just another mainstream title after the big company gets a hold of it.

Fight the man, fight the power!

Edit: We've just been talking about Kickstarter in our office, this could be something to consider if you need extra funds to further development? It'll give the game a bit more publicity and you also have a public beta to offer potential buyers. Surely worth bearing in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if sprint speed could be tied to dribbling error? So that the quicker you are running the more your dribbling error grows. Messi can run flat out without having the ball leave his foot but even another great player in Ronaldo can't really run flat out and still have the ball under total control. I think that's one of the points where Ronaldo is weaker than Messi. He can still dribble at high speed but nowhere near Messi's level of close ball control.
I wouldn't say it's as clear cut as "more speed = more error", but I think you gather this anyway due to your Messi/Ronaldo comparison.

IMO, the attributes PES has used would be sufficient - top speed, acceleration, agility, dribble speed and dribble accuracy.

Top speed/acceleration obviously govern how fast the player can run flat-out and how quickly they get off the mark.
Agility decides how quickly the player can change direction.

Dribble accuracy would decide how consistent the player's ball control is - low attribute = many wayward touches, 100 in dribble accuracy = almost FIFA-like laser precision.

Dribble speed would be the attribute that decides how comfortably and quickly the player can shift the ball and adjust to beat opponents, names like Zidane and Giggs come to mind. Those players that seem to "flow" when they are in control of the ball.

This combination of well-implemented attributes would IMO be able to fairly realistically cover most of the dribbling styles you see in football.
You could have the obvious dribbling machines like Ronaldo and Messi who are strong in all aspects, but also the guys like Xavi who can maintain near flawless ball control to keep possession (high dribble accuracy) without perhaps the ability (or need) to charge past multiple opponents down the flanks.

There would also be room for those players who are dangerous in the lower leagues because they are quick and mobile, although completely lacking in technique. You see plenty of players with impressive athleticism who get found out at the top level of football - in video games these players are either:

a) Seriously underrated in their physical attributes to balance out their effectiveness artificially.

b) Very overpowered due to their extreme pace and lack of dribbling error due to the game engine (see Nigeria in PES6).

I would suggest to make something like a poll, listing all -till now -suggestions for changes/fixes/additions regarding gameplay football, therefore a fan would vote the 3 or 5 most important according to his opinion.
For example i would like to see some aftertouch in ball. If this thing is highly voted, baz will implement it. If not he will not.
Also this will help him where to pay more attention.

This is just amazing, If I was a Ea Sports/Konami executive you would be hired after 1 minute of gameplay. But as I'm at least I can guarantee you I will be buying this since day 1.

Couple of questions

Are you planing on introducing some kind of "manager" mode or master league in the game?

How about minimum/recommended requirements to play the game?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom