Gameplay Football: a new promising independent game

Guys, set the below value in football.config

"graphics3d_frametime_ms" "1"

I think that game its quite smoother now.

I would like to ask baz what the above string do and what these string do:
"physics_frametime_ms" "10"
"physics_wrapper" "ode"

and how these can affect gameplay speed.

Guys, set the below value in football.config

"graphics3d_frametime_ms" "1"

I think that game its quite smoother now.

I would like to ask baz what the above string do and what these string do:
"physics_frametime_ms" "10"
"physics_wrapper" "ode"

and how these can affect gameplay speed.

Still really poor framerate. Despite showing 60fps, it's has some awful stutter. It also uses 30%+ of my GTX 580, more than PES :P

I noticed that Masterdam have someone called Fartongen playing for them.

Great effort for an individual. Hope you find enough time and assistance to keep this developing into a genuine alternative to FIFA and PES....god knows it's needed.

Good luck and please, no cpu cheats!

When I want start the game up I get a fatal error saying:'Could not compile vertex program: simple' :(

@topotamolder: no manager mode, but there will be a master league mode.

minimum specs will be roughly the same as for the demo (hope to get it running a bit more fluently, in fact)

@antracsa: the unity engine seems quite good, and i like those movies :) however, switching to another engine now would be very hard technically, so i can't really!

did you make that animation movie yourself? looks very natural and smooth :)

@flokiman: that graphics frametime is the minimum number of ms a single graphics frame should take. so for example if you set it to 1000, you'd get only 1 frame per second. you can set it to 0 for the maximum framerate possible (when vsync is disabled). i set it to 12, which means max 1000/12=~83.33 frames per second. (because if you've some powerful future computer and you get higher fps than that, it'd be quite useless, so this maximum would save you some power :P)

you could set it to 0 for maximum fps. i don't think it should get much smoother by lowering the value, but maybe i made a boo-boo and it actually does, so feel free to experiment!

the physics_wrapper thing is a variable from the past and can be deleted; i used to use ODE for physics, but i don't use that anymore. forgot to delete it.

the physics_frametime_ms is how long a physics frame takes: lowering it would make everything faster and the other way round. would also make gravity unrealistic though, and it's not very fine-grained :)

@dagsJT i know right, working on that! ;)

@damnjan/flaw3d: probably your videocard does not support opengl 3.2; you could try to update your drivers.. or buy a new GPU :)

That's where my interest ends then, but good luck with the project :)
That's incredibly cynical and closed-minded.

What is even the difference between "Master League" and "Manager Mode"? Except for the fact that the names are associated with PES and FIFA respectively.

At their core, they are identical in their principles - you control each match against CPU opponents, and have the ability to affect various managerial aspects.

The only difference I see is the absence of lower-leagues from PES ML, but that needn't even be an issue here if the game is moddable.

Anything remotely associated with PES gets instantly shunned by you, it's kind of childish actually.

To say "Just one person and it already looks as good as PES, impressive :)" is ridiculous. Yes, it's great work for one person and potentially a good base to work from for the future, but it is nowhere near the standard of PES in any department in it's current form, fact.
That isn't a criticism, it's just simply obvious that a team such as the one behind PES, with it's manpower, budget and experience in the industry will have a big head-start.

That's not to say it's impossible to produce something that can compete through a lot of hard work, patience and quality feedback.

Don't feed the troll.

I agree this is impressive. Interesting to see what one person can manage to do.

to be absolutely clear about this: the master league mode will have stuff like player transfers, editing team formation, set team tactics and such.
what i meant by 'no manager mode' is that it is not going to be a full-blown manager like FM or CM.. so no giving press conferences, assigning youth trainers etcetera.

to be absolutely clear about this: the master league mode will have stuff like player transfers, editing team formation, set team tactics and such.
what i meant by 'no manager mode' is that it is not going to be a full-blown manager like FM or CM.. so no giving press conferences, assigning youth trainers etcetera.

Nice. Still impressive no matter what you end up doing.

Question though, any chance you can let us modify the number of leagues, divisions etc? Is this "Master League" going to be just one division? Can we add as many division as we want? If there's any way we can have the option before starting the mode, to add as many divisions, well maybe a limit of 4-5 somehow, or maybe not and would just totally depend on us and how many teams we like to add per division etc.

EDIT: I surely said all that about many divisions and forgot to add promotion and relegation :LOL:

Last edited:
(for example, if a defender pulls up the pitch with the ball, a midfielder may replace his defending role so your backline won't fail too bad).

nice, but keep in mind u need to differ this on different variables like:

how offensive is the ones player AI, how offensive is the team AI, tactics and so on..
this needs to be in a reasonable context, not that some striker is getting back cause a defender is pushing forward and so on, im sure u got me :))

Graphic wise, I really hope we can import a lot of stuff from the PES commuity. Specially the likes of PES 6 community, they have butt load of stadiums, which would be nice to import into your game.

@lami: there can be as much leagues/teams as you like, through community 'option files' :) (i will add a few 'fake' leagues myself to start with). @lami/placebo: i'm not sure if i have time to add relegation/promotion logic in version 1, i agree it would be nice though!

@impossibleyesbutitstrue: yes, there will be plenty sleep deprivation for me to ponder how to get things like that right :D

@fanolato: i'm not sure if that's possible, do you know what '3d format' those stadiums are in? my game, atm, supports .ASE files, which is a rare 3d studio ascii export format. i guess i'd have to create a loader for a more common 3d format.. not sure if i have time for that for version 1!

Thanks for replying baz. Hopefully everything works out for you just fine. If not version 1 then hopefully sometime in the future.

who wants to play ML, there are plenty of pes games to play it.

so respect this guy and its work.

Football is probably one of the most difficult sports to develop a video game for that is fairly realistic.

If you use a phrase such as "It's 11v11, each side trying to put a ball in a net", it sounds simple - there are so many intricacies and details though that make football what it is.
Having done a bit of programming for my uni course over the past year, I appreciate how difficult and time consuming some things could be to implement that sound simple in theory.

One of my favourite sports games at the moment though is actually an "indie" game made completely by an individual (the programming anyway, there's been help from the community in other aspects such as GUI and SFX).

It's Tennis Elbow 2011, what it lacks in visuals, it more than makes up for in terms of gameplay depth, physics, single player game modes and the challenge it offers compared to the mainstream games.

Tennis is a much simpler sport to recreate than football, but TE2011 at least shows that it is possible to attract a niche "hardcore" audience if you focus on the right aspects. I think overhauling PES and FIFA would be a gigantuan task, so I'd suggest a more targeted approach such as with TE.

NVM, you're not worth it :)
What are you trying to say? You think you're above me?
I make valid points and all you can respond with are posts trying to assert a superiority complex.

It's not just to me either - anyone who challenges your views gets the same treatment.

Yes, you're older than me (and most on here), doesn't mean you're automatically more intelligent or more well-informed. You can't just play the "Me > You" card all the time.

P.S. - I've studied a bit of psychology in the past, and a superiority complex is actually developed by many as a defence mechanism for their internal feelings of self-pity and inferiority.
Think of the school playground bully scenario - they strut around thinking they're the best, when in fact they're usually the ones with the deep-seated issues in their personal/family lives.

I'm not saying that's definitely the case here with you Placebo, rather that it's a point of view people could potentially take based on your behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me again.

attachment.php

rob, that tennis game is indeed a lot of fun :D i downloaded another indie tennis game recently: 'full ace', it felt a bit more rigid, but also quite fun. great to see some proper indie tennis games for PC! i completely agree in this regard that graphics don't really matter, as long as the gameplay is addictive enough. maybe EA and Konami could learn from that 'fact' ;)

@impossibleyesbutitstrue: yes, there will be plenty sleep deprivation for me to ponder how to get things like that right :D

there are still some errors in pes regarding things like that, but the playstyle cards helped in this area i think.
maybe in later versions u can add something similar like this, some player individuality candy :P

Right. Whoever goes off-topic will receive an infraction. Please take your personal issues elsewhere. Do not derail this thread.

Let the man work on "gameplay", which IS the title of his game. Extra leagues, stadiums and divisions can be added later once the gameplay works well. Otherwise it will turn into FIFA - pillage and loot all the licenses and never fix the core gameplay issues :P

Let the man work on "gameplay", which IS the title of his game. Extra leagues, stadiums and divisions can be added later once the gameplay works well. Otherwise it will turn into FIFA - pillage and loot all the licenses and never fix the core gameplay issues :P

Fully agree.

Great project! Would be interesting to see if someone can do it better than Konami and EA on the pitch.

This project should concentrate on gameplay only until it is just perfect and then add things like stadia, nice graphics, leagues...

Things like ballcontrol, AI, stamina/fatigue, tactics... should be imho the priority.

Unbelievable that one person can actually pull this off... awesome!

Yeah, it's gameplay for me, too. FIFA's never really had any worth commenting on - all style over substance - and whilst PES has always tried to prioritise gameplay, it's also always relied far too much on cpu cheats and annoying things like cpu boosts, like they get every match in the 45th/90th minute when they score these scripted auto-goals.

It would fascinating to see a game that focuses on the individuality of players, where their stats really mean something, and also then on the tactical side of football, but with purity and integrity, no fake cpu boosts or 90th minute stat boosts.

Regarding PES assets, I'm sure most of the community made assets could be exported to whatever format you wanted. For games like PES 5/6, the original assets and formats don't matter much since people have done tons of stadiums, kits, balls and other stuff from scratch, that most people would happily share with your game. If they still have the originals of that stuff ofc.

Last edited:
Fully agree.

Yes this is the area sadly lacking in PES and FIFA!! Great gameplay! Perfect gameplay, then all the bells and whistles can follow.

Imagine a game that surpassed both companies made by fans. What a story that would be.

Last edited:
I tested this out yesterday, must say I am very, very impressed. The game play is really great.

Back
Top Bottom