[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

Some FIFA16 matches but mostly ACC with the new wheel. GFX are not good but the sound and physics deliver!!
I’m becoming a better driver every day! What a joy to actually see progress in my driving style! :D
...and still so much to learn! 😍

Last edited:
Does anyone play Out of the Park Baseball? It's like FM for Baseball, and the new one just dropped. I have never played it before, but heard all sorts of great things and bought it. I'd like to start out as a manager for my Detroit Tigers because I actually understand baseball, but will leave the GM stuff to the AI because I don't any of that other stuff.

I'm also a hockey fan and like the Franchise Hockey Manager game. Both have the ability to play historical seasons, which is actually more appealing to me than the current season. I wish FM had something like that, although I realize the database for that would be massive.

How are you getting on with it? OOTP is a brilliant game. I haven't got the new one yet as I haven't got a lot of time at the moment and it eats the hours without you realising. I've brought most releases since stumbling across the third one (which was called Season Ticket Baseball for retail release) as it was (I think) the only one released as a CD available in shops, all others have been downloads. Anyway it's superb and has just got better and better as it's gone along.

At one point the guy who makes it (now has a team with him, but at that point was solo) was signed by SI and got to use their FM interface etc and worked from their offices here - I seem to remember there were 2 or 3 releases under their banner. He fortunately ensured he never lost the rights to the game and parted ways amicably to continue without them.

FM could learn a thing or two from the options it has and as you say a historical database would be brilliant.

Dirt Rally 2.0
The greatest rally game I've ever played so far. There's nothing to lash out.
One thing I'm not happy with is just A.I. especially on Rally Cross. The A.I.s are damn uncatchable and all of them are world's best pro drivers who can escape the corners so quickly with so perfect drift skill.

Too shame I heard Codemasters have been acquired by EA recently.
As we know EA have always released arcade racing games. Hopefully EA don't ruin the Dirts and F1s.

As we know EA have always released arcade racing games. Hopefully EA don't ruin the Dirts and F1s.

TBH the F1 game released by EA is considered on of the best ever made.
I would like them to take over the F1 game, the Codemasters one which although pretty fun, is absolutely as arcardy a game you can get.

TBH the F1 game released by EA is considered on of the best ever made.
I would like them to take over the F1 game, the Codemasters one which although pretty fun, is absolutely as arcardy a game you can get.

I know F1 is arcady. I meant hopefully EA don't make it arcadier.
You'd better not expect EA's racing games. Don't you remember their NFS shit series?
EA's the most simlike racing games were Need for Speed Shift and its sequel, Shift2 Unleashed both of which were developed by Slightly Mad Studios, the Project CARS series developer. Both games were nowhere near sim, and were inferior to even simcade.
Thereafter Slightly Mad Studios have developed more simlike games such as Project CARS series(simcade class) free from EA's interferences.
But tragically, they and Codemasters together were acquired by EA these days.
Surely the future racing games would be developed by Codemasters and Slightly Mad Studios themselves, but most likely to be interfered and abused by EA's greedy business philosophy.

Last edited:
Far Cry 4, as someone who got into Far Cry at number 5, I am quite impressed with it, the story is so much more interesting than 5's, and frankly the setting as well. Have played a lot of the side stuff with my mate, it's a shame that you can't play story missions with another player, but they did fix that in the next couple of games.

@mattmid I've only started OOTP and am a bit clueless as to what's going on, plus I'm using the Tigers, so wins are few and far between (on opening day, my very first game, I got two-hit and lost 14-0). I like baseball, but the strategies are endless and I find the game overwhelming and I'm having trouble getting acquainted with the UI. It is a really, really great in-depth game though, and I'd love to get into it more.

I will say that I'm a weirdo with management sims like this: I play them in real-time. For example, today is April 13, 2021, and that is today in my FM save. I keep my primary save going over years and buy every other edition, and in most cases I use the editor to keep my squad somewhat intact between versions. That way I keep the game fairly similar to the real world, but mostly limit my time in-game as it can be a time-sink. I'm a tactics guy, so I like playing out each game (or a couple at a time if I fall behind).

With OOTP, however, I think I'd have to play out the future and not in real-time 😊

Can't wait for MLB The show next week,suspect I'd go knee deep in that.
I'm playing mygm on my 2k14,rebuilding the Utah Jazz,and yes I play full games,pretty exhausting (12 min qtrs) luckily and can save and exit then go back again whenever I want.

Don't think I'll do that on MLB though...
Guess the day only has 24 hrs

Can't wait for MLB The show next week,suspect I'd go knee deep in that.
I'm playing mygm on my 2k14,rebuilding the Utah Jazz,and yes I play full games,pretty exhausting (12 min qtrs) luckily and can save and exit then go back again whenever I want.

Don't think I'll do that on MLB though...
Guess the day only has 24 hrs
I don't have a PS5 so I'm probably sticking with The Show 20 unless 21 has groundbreaking upgrades on Franchise which I highly doubt.
Why don't you play with quick counts on The Show? Easier way to get through a full season. Or just play the 1st and last game of each series.

I don't have a PS5 so I'm probably sticking with The Show 20 unless 21 has groundbreaking upgrades on Franchise which I highly doubt.
Why don't you play with quick counts on The Show? Easier way to get through a full season. Or just play the 1st and last game of each series.
Yeah,that sounds smart,might just do a few seasons of simming in franchise mode to start with,can't wait for it,since I've been on Xbox since 360 this is huge for me

@mattmid I've only started OOTP and am a bit clueless as to what's going on, plus I'm using the Tigers, so wins are few and far between (on opening day, my very first game, I got two-hit and lost 14-0). I like baseball, but the strategies are endless and I find the game overwhelming and I'm having trouble getting acquainted with the UI. It is a really, really great in-depth game though, and I'd love to get into it more.

I will say that I'm a weirdo with management sims like this: I play them in real-time. For example, today is April 13, 2021, and that is today in my FM save. I keep my primary save going over years and buy every other edition, and in most cases I use the editor to keep my squad somewhat intact between versions. That way I keep the game fairly similar to the real world, but mostly limit my time in-game as it can be a time-sink. I'm a tactics guy, so I like playing out each game (or a couple at a time if I fall behind).

With OOTP, however, I think I'd have to play out the future and not in real-time 😊

Yeah there's a lot of depth to it. Might be worth putting most stuff onto the AI Manager to start with until you get familiar with it. I think there's a few videos on you tube that might help, probably for the previous version I'd imagine as this one's still new but it'll be pretty much similar and might be worth a look.

I've thought about having a one day at a time save before but never actually done it. Might have to bite the bullet on it when I get this version.

Yeah,that sounds smart,might just do a few seasons of simming in franchise mode to start with,can't wait for it,since I've been on Xbox since 360 this is huge for me
Is this going to be your first MLBTS experience then? You're so lucky! Do you want to start a dedicated thread here for the game? The modes and options are countless. Make sure to download a set of sliders from OS, no big changes, just a notch down of the solid hits etc. I recommend starting with March to October mode and no quick counts to get the feel of the pitches. Do not choose the new Casual mode, go right away with Experienced, Veteran difficulty for both hitting and pitching, Dynamic Difficulty on and lock it when you reach the sweet spot.

Played it on a friend's PS4 a few years back,he was away for a month and I loaned MLB 18 (I think)

Thanks for the he suggestions,I use OS a lot for my 2K (sliders/settings/rosters etc)

Yeah this will be my first own MLB:)
Really pumped up.

I know F1 is arcady. I meant hopefully EA don't make it arcadier.
You'd better not expect EA's racing games. Don't you remember their NFS shit series?

NFS is a arcade racer.
F1 games EA made were considered some of the best ever made.
I would prefer F1 to be a simulation, or at the very least Codemasters to fix the incredibly weird bugs and incredibly p**s poor AI.

NFS is a arcade racer.
They tried to take different path with Porsche Unleashed. Up until now I have never found another racing game which would hit such a sweet spot between fun and simulation. Driving school was so good in there..
But whenever someone says NFS is arcade shit series I always think of Porsche Unleashed and it makes me sad that they decided not to follow up on that.

As for recent games - Days Gone and Dayz for me.

I'm not worried that EA would screw up The F1 franchise.
They did a great job with FIFA,Madden and NHL,and obviously a fantastic job with NBA Live (defunct since -19)
Not worried at all...

They tried to take different path with Porsche Unleashed. Up until now I have never found another racing game which would hit such a sweet spot between fun and simulation. Driving school was so good in there..
But whenever someone says NFS is arcade shit series I always think of Porsche Unleashed and it makes me sad that they decided not to follow up on that.

Sorry about my omission: NFS shit NFS shift

I'm not worried that EA would screw up The F1 franchise.
They did a great job with FIFA,Madden and NHL,and obviously a fantastic job with NBA Live (defunct since -19)
Not worried at all...

That's EA Sports story.

The main series Forza games are the perfect balance for me. And you can make adjustments to take the game even further towards sim or arcade in the settings too.

Well the last 10 days or so on off been playing A Way Out on PS4 and completed it with my brother.

What a load of shite that game was a 3 or 4 out of 10, and easily the worse game I have ever completed.
The story is basically full of cut scenes, a few minor choices and some very bad game mechanics.
The graphics as well are very poor and looks like something that is half way between PS2 and PS3.

Back
Top Bottom