George Best - R.I.P

M

MonkeyJug

George Best is unlikely to make it through the night - he was THE greatest footballer that ever played the game.

Having won the european cup single-handedly as a 21 year old and in the same year, being voted the european footballer of the year, he retired at 27 having never graced the world's greatest stage - the World Cup.

Said by Pele to be the best player he ever saw and Maradona's favourite all-time player, he was the original Spice Boy and serial Miss World shagger.

George Best - You Are A Legend - Your country loves you and is thinking of you...

GBest.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: George Best - The Final Hours...

did you reply to that just for something to type? if you have nothing relevant, then don't respond...

I'm saying that it is extremely disrespectful to George Best and his family to make a tribute thread although he hasn't passed on yet. We know its inevitable, but his family want to hold on to every last hope there is (do you even know what its like to try and hold on to any hope for your loved ones?). Can you show a little bit of dignity mate?

My thoughts go out to George Best and his family now.

He was a legend, his football was incredible, but it's days like today that show the problem with the media. Anyone who is too young to remember him but has been told he is a legend is going to lose any respect they could have for him due to this:

I was watching the news and the news of his death was announced. Horrible day and I hope he rests in peace, he was a true genius and his football has been missed since he retired at the age of 27. Terrible news. Then the next story, and "in-case you've missed it, George Best has died" and all the same stuff again. Okay, fair enough, maybe somebody could have missed it. Then the next story, then "again, George Best has died". Okay, it's sad, but we know. People have other ways of knowing. Next story, and then one more time, "George Best has died, if you've just come in". WE KNOW. Is this supposed to be easing people's pain? Then the weather, and followed by, SHOCK HORROR!! George Best is dead! FUCK ME! You don't say!! How long before it descends into the fucking Dead Parrot Sketch?!!

Sorry if this is considered disrespectful, but the media needs to change and if it isn't discussed now it'll be brushed aside like everything else. I didn't know Princess Diana but thanks to the media I hated her guts. Every day for at least a month. EVERY single day. That news broadcast lasted half an hour, and the regional one fifteen minutes. Over half of that time was George Best, and it will be tomorrow and the day after too. And no way will I be buying a newspaper for a month.

I have the greatest of respect for the man, so again, sorry if anybody considers this disrespectful. He gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure through his talent. I just can't bear to think that so many people will be made bitter towards him and ignorant towards his greatness because they'll be saturated by "George Best is dead, George Best is dead, George Best is dead".

RIP anyway, Besty.

Sad sad day not only for United fans but football fans. A legend passes.

RIP

Chris Davies said:
Sorry if this is considered disrespectful, but the media needs to change and if it isn't discussed now it'll be brushed aside like everything else. I didn't know Princess Diana but thanks to the media I hated her guts. Every day for at least a month. EVERY single day. That news broadcast lasted half an hour, and the regional one fifteen minutes. Over half of that time was George Best, and it will be tomorrow and the day after too. And no way will I be buying a newspaper for a month.

Know what you mean about Princess Di, so glad I was out of the country for that - still got a load of Aussies for a month going sorry to here about...

My response was, fuck her, she never sent me a christmas card, the situation is.... wear a seat belt = alive.

Besty was a great footballer, however my sympathy is somewhat tarnished by his behaviour.

Someone died and gave him their liver, so he had a second chance of living, not all people are as lucky as him to have the wealth that gave him that chance. For him to go back to alcohol has just made this a very public suicide IMO. Another person could still be enjoying their life if it wasn't for a wasted transplant.

Hence my sentiments about their cause of death are much = Diana/Besty. Any loss of life is tragic, loss due to stupidity is tragidy compounded by a waste.

:roll:

I think this is something that'll be forgotten by the masses in this thread (well all three of you) and the media.

Slow news day for the press pack.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic - as a guy over at the SI Games forums said, alcoholism can be considered a disease, and the guy should be remembered for the great footballer that he was. He was literally the Best. But I don't need to be told every five minutes that he's dead. The situation is hardly going to get any worse now, is it? He was a legend, if I could have rid him of his problems and kept him alive until he was 88 then I would have done. But I know he's dead. I don't need every single aspect of the media drenched in it. If it was a story on page 4 or 5, with an interview with whoever and some facts you didn't know, great. But not pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 with a 40-page pullout in the middle, and then seven different headlines in the news or on Teletext about him and how alcohol is such a problem, especially now there's 24 hour drinking, blahdeblahdeblah. It's not on, and as much as people find what I'm saying disrespectful, I find it disrespectful that I'm told he's dead so many times by so many different people you can't be arsed going through all of the news pages to find out something new that you'll have missed because... Oh I forgot to tell you all! George Best is dead!

It's like having 72 threads on George Best being dead added to Evo-Web every day. I'd stop coming. I repeat, I have MASSIVE respect for the guy. God's honest truth. But the next month will be Best is dead, Best is dead, Best is dead, Best is dead.

Chris Davies said:
It's like having 72 threads on George Best being dead added to Evo-Web every day. I'd stop coming. I repeat, I have MASSIVE respect for the guy. God's honest truth. But the next month will be Best is dead, Best is dead, Best is dead, Best is dead.

*starts creating 72 threads* ;)

We live in a democracy Chris, you don't have to choose to watch the news on tv, flick through teletext or buy newspapers. That's the beauty of it.

I dont give a fuck what anyone says, over hyped tv - well dont watch it. He wasted his career , yea it was his choice and his career. Now alcoholism is an illness and I wish he overcame it, but he didnt and he is dead, his son has no father a lot of other people sure well b grieving also. That is a price payed enough , I wish like a lot of people that he did have a better career for the sake of himself and football.

RIP The man from Northern Ireland Absolute Legend .

Im glad he is dead now someone worth while can have his bed, he waisted his life, yes he was a great footballer but had to bites of the cherry and waisted them both.

So bye best im glad ur gone.

Deacon Brown said:
Im glad he is dead now someone worth while can have his bed, he waisted his life, yes he was a great footballer but had to bites of the cherry and waisted them both.

So bye best im glad ur gone.

Sorry, but that's sick.

I see where your coming from behind that post, as I agree he has abused the second chance of a prolonged life and someone may have cherished it more, but that's out of order what you've said.

I don't like to see anyone die and he isn't exactly evil.

Although my thoughts are more for his family than George himself as he has chosen his life.

FD

Last edited:
R.I.P besty, he defined the art of going past defenders with pace!!
A true football legend!!!!
this is the harsh reality of overboozing!!!

fd1972uk said:
Sorry, but that's sick.

I see where your coming from behind that post, as I agree he has abused the second chance of a prolonged life and someone may have cherished it more, but that's out of order what you've said.

I don't like to see anyone die and he isn't exactly evil.

Although my thoughts are more for his family than George himself as he has chosen his life.

FD
Its not sick m8 its what i think and how i feel, someone could have had that liver but it went to a man who lied about not drinking anymore once he got the liver.

So im an glad he is dead and having met his son loads he will be following in his dads footsteps if he is not careful.

R.I.P George Best he was a legend!!!

No he wasn't perfect but who the fuck is eh! But with a football at his feet he was perfect!

There is a few replies in this thread that I feel could of been put elsewhere, namely OPM and Deacon Brown, please pay your respects, but saying he wasted his life, or that he took the liver from someone else is very disrepectful. Did you know the man, I didnt think so, so please dont use this thread to vent your spleen on some other issue. And Chris, fair enough you dont want to hear about it for so much, but I expected better, if I was a Mod in this area I'd have cleaned up this thread.

RIP Georgie, you thrilled millions of people, you had the world at you feet and you won the European Cup. Godspeed your journey, and may you dance round defenders once more.

Best by name and Best by far.

Back
Top Bottom