Goal Line Camera Trial

kevano22

TDWFYU
2 August 2003
Just read on teletext that they're gonna be using goal line technology in the U17 championships on a trial.

If its successful theyre even considering using it for the World Cup 2006

Whose for and against it, and why of course ;)?

Last edited:
Sky have starting using a goal line cam though its purely for themselves.

If it works well enough then why not bring it in properly, it will definately stop any of the questionable goals

BBC Report

It's not a goal-line cam I don't think, it's a chip in the ball that sends a signal to the referee's watch if the ball goes over the line.

I think what FIFA have said about it echoes my feelings, which makes a change. Blatter has said that it will be used in the World Cup if successful, but it will be the only technology\referee-aid used for a good while yet as anything else would "dehumanise" the game.

I think it's great, to be honest. If a team scores a vital goal and it's disallowed for no good reason (Man U v Tottenham, if I remember correctly, ahem) then it's not very fair and I think this helps.

In the future I might like to see a referee consult a fourth official who watches a replay of a penalty decision as well. If it should be a penalty, great, if not, red card for the diver. End of 90% of cheating (bar free kicks around the box admittedly, but also bar free kicks in the middle of the pitch which are no good to anyone anyway). Diving ruins the modern game, and it's just not fair.

But that would be the limit for me.

I like it, But I must agree with the FIFA president, that goal-line technology is enough. Like he said:

"This goal-line technology is enough. Football must keep its human face and must accept errors. If we start to make it too scientific this game will lose its fascination."

Hahahaha this is amazing, must accept errors?. If they can be prevented then why not prevent them?.

More like "with this we can't be a bunch of cheating bastards so we don't want it"

Agree with KingPug, here. Why the fuck would you want to retain the human element of error in games if you can eliminate it?

I'm not even English and i would still be pissed about Maradona's Hand of God goal. Is it really fair to ask players to bust their asses all their careers and to kill themselves and then not have the officials do the same in order to prevent errors that not affect the outcomes of games. . and tournaments??

I still am "pissed" about Maradona's hand of God goal.....there again I'm still amazed that Simeone didn't get sent off as well as Beckham for tackling DB like a bull on heat from behind in France '98. As an Englishman, there is a long list of grudges......

What if the chip in the ball falls out? Are we gonna chip all professional balls? Do amateur games get it too? Wouldn't it be better just to put some sort of sensors on the crossbar and posts?

Setanta also use the same goal-line cam as Sky Sports as seen here.

The only problem would be if a player or players obstructed the view. Thats why I think the ball with the microchip sensor that adidas & Mitre are developing is the way forward. Sensors on the posts wouldn't work. A player will obstruct it.

I also think Sepp Blatter has a point about errors. Just look at the demise of Formula 1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom