Goalscoring Goalies

Valmir

Quality, not quantity
30 October 2005
Reading, England
Reading
Today Reading's 3rd choice goalie played up front (due to injuries to othesr) in a friendly and scored :lmao:

0,,10306~2945799,00.jpg

so it got my thinking about other goal-scoring goalies. Obviously theres the ones like Schmiechel who got quite a few from venturing forward, but there are others who do it far more regularly, mainly to take set-pieces, Rodrigo Ceni + Chilavert

Apart from those most famous last 2, are there any other goalies who are famous for scoring plenty of goals? I once heard that Hans-Jorg Butt used to take pens for Leverkusen, anymore? :p

Valmir said:
Today Reading's 3rd choice goalie played up front (due to injuries to othesr) in a friendly and scored :lmao:

0,,10306~2945799,00.jpg

so it got my thinking about other goal-scoring goalies. Obviously theres the ones like Schmiechel who got quite a few from venturing forward, but there are others who do it far more regularly, mainly to take set-pieces, Rodrigo Ceni + Chilavert

Apart from those most famous last 2, are there any other goalies who are famous for scoring plenty of goals? I once heard that Hans-Jorg Butt used to take pens for Leverkusen, anymore? :p
Yes man, Butt take pks sometimes in Leverkusen... I knew a chilean keeper that were chilavert style but can't remember his name now.

There was a goalkeeper on loan to carlise a couple of years back he scored in injury time and kept them playing professional football Jimmy Glass was his name

"Probably the most dramatic goal ever scored by a goalkeeper was Jimmy Glass's effort for Carlisle United in May 1999 that saved the club from the ignominy of non-league football.
jimmyglass.gif
With only ten seconds of the game remaining and with the scores level at 1-1, Glass netted from close range after his opposite number in the Plymouth Argyle goal had parried a header from a United corner. His goal secured Cumbria's last professional side's League status and sent Scarborough down instead. To add salt to the Yorkshire club's wounds, Glass was playing his last game for United having arrived on loan from Swindon Town only three weeks before.

http://goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keeper/goalscoring.htm

Valmir said:
Obviously theres the ones like Schmiechel who got quite a few from venturing forward, but there are others who do it far more regularly, mainly to take set-pieces, Rodrigo Ceni + Chilavert
It's Rogerio Ceni mate.

Depor's backup Uruguayan keeper, Munúa is also capable of taking FK's and scored a couple I think when he was back in Nacional (Uruguay).

Antonio Prats (Former Betis GK) now with Mallorca is another one that I can remember taking FK's at times and being good at it too and scoring a couple at least.

I remembrer Massimo Taibi (former ManU gk) scoring a goal during injury time against Udinese in 2001 (at least I think so, someone please correct me if I am wrong) when he was playing for Reggina..
Also another Italian keeper, Rampulla, scored a header some years ago.. I think he was playing for Cremonese but I ain't sure..

the only one that I saw myself scoring more than a goal is Hans Butt that scored some penalties (I remember that goal of his against Juventus, too)

Great thread :applause:

Didn't Schmiechel famously have an overhead kick disallowed? I never saw it...

After 10 games or so in 1973, Alex Stepney was the top goalscorer at Man utd. He took the penalties. They got relegated that year

Back
Top Bottom