Going Back To WE8:LE + WE9 Review

lets end the discussion with this wonderful statement.

That statement was wonderful, wonderful at making the person who made it look like an ignoranus. Firstly because no-one has actually said WE8:LE is better (perhaps you are the blind one), and secondly, even if they had of said that, it would not make them blind and it's not exactly nice to jest about a condition that effects many peoples lives.

So let's not end this discussion with a mindless, ignorant comment. Let's continue it so others can be made aware of the issues at hand and perhaps find workarounds for the benefit of the community.

I've played at least 30 games on WE9, and I wasn't impressed..

The shooting(except for the inside of the foot shot) is awful. You don't feel the recoil affect when pressing square like you do in the previous WE versions.

Also, the players don't feel right. They feel somewhat light on the pitch, and sometimes very unstable.The camera views don't zoom in when far away as someone mentioned earlier, and the camera view/angle I use to play the game is wayyy too close to enjoy. Why did they have to tamper with the cameras??? oh well. At least they gave us back the Replay high camera.

Oh, and Long distance shooting is crap as well.

All in all, the game just doesn't feel right to me. The only positive things about the game are the 3D crowd's that appear when you score at random, along with heading and a few new player animations.

I'm going back to my patch version of WE8LE. Gameplay is much better in my opinion, and I have a blast playing it with my friends/cousins.

Hopefully, Winning Eleven on PS3 will be what we've all been waiting for.

Peace to All!

Last edited:
Whoah, your actually going back to WE8LE, i thought people were just joking..

Here's my take AND I use the analog.

Yup no doubt the analog feels like a akward way to control your players.BUT Seabass and Inc. LOVE the D-Pad and swear the ONLY way to play WE is by mastering it(theD-Pad) I think they wanted both analogs to play as movement controls in the form of tricks,tackling and shooting. the movement with the D-Pad is 8 direction and NOT full analog anyway so they prob figured it wouldn't be a thing. Unfortunately IT IS. To me as well. i won't go back to WE8LE OR WE8 for that matter as WE9 is just SOO much better in the realism department now it's uncanny.

Perky Intruder said:
I get the feeling people didn't even read my review. Please don't bother to comment unless you've read it. Trebuta, I have no idea what you are talking about. Kevano mate, if that's how you view the sidestep then you are lucky..I just think it looks unrealistic and ruins the gameplay. Let me ask you this, when do you see that move in real life? I'll give you a clue, it starts with n and ends with r.
Ninty million times a year? :p

Well I haven't played WE9 so I can't pass judgement. However I don't think that the sidestep is as uncommon as people think at all. Beardsley was well reknowned for it years ago, and with football's increasing technical skill we see more and more players doing this. C.Ronaldo, Sean Wright-Phillips, most wingers who are on the flanks taking on the full back, as well as the likes of Zidane, me (;)) etc all use a sidestep of one form or another to circumnavigate a challenge. All I would say is that they rarely look exactly like the sidestep in WE, but maybe that's because there are many different ways of sidestepping (since it's essentially just moving sideways while facing the same way). I have definitely seen it done though.

There`s too much discussion about this sidestep"problem" here i think.
For the first maybe ten games you play WE9 it`s agreat change to get in touch with the slightly different Gameplay, but if you once managed the probs, WE9 is a gift from the Gods.
Somebody mentioned that the longrange shooting is crap and i can`t really understand his opinion.
The shooting is miles better than in previous parts of WE9.
Every new WE has little probs that some people don`t agree with in the beginning, but hey try to deal with these things and you will never go back to any previous parts of WE.

Perky Intruder said:
I get the feeling people didn't even read my review. Please don't bother to comment unless you've read it. Trebuta, I have no idea what you are talking about. Kevano mate, if that's how you view the sidestep then you are lucky..I just think it looks unrealistic and ruins the gameplay. Let me ask you this, when do you see that move in real life? I'll give you a clue, it starts with n and ends with r.

I'm sorry i fail to take you even seriously after you wrote a review after three matches i'm not suprised people are disagreeing with you.

Yeah. Here comes my review: from first to last, everything I've tried.

When you first stick the game in and see that welcome screen you feel a lot better than in PES - this is Winning Eleven, baby! ;) Personally, I so much prefer that classic Main Menu instead of the WE8 one. Much quicker and clear.

After having played a loooot of games (I just don't count'em, but have tried all my favourite teams and countries several times, so you get an idea, maybe over 20 matches), I can give an opinion based upon experience.

Gameplay has improved a hell of a lot, I would say. The pace and behaviour of the match is just real, the best Konami have achieved ever. The miraculous turn that appeared in WE8:LE is there, but is only performed some times, so the variety is enormous.

Using the D-Pad, the sidestep problem is none at all. I found out that it only happens when needed, and you are also free to turn 90º if running slow enough (not sprinting), so I'm very happy with that, and I have a reason to hail the change: the astonishing success of the brand new R2 shot. It would have been sooo complicated to perform these shots just after a sidestep if the latter should have to be done by pressing R2. Now you can run forward, stop, perform a dragback in front of a defender, do a quick sidestep while sprinting and as you enter the box, smack a curled bomb into the left side of the goal. Cool.

The R2 shot has to be perfomed the same way that the R1 lob was done in previous versions (and in this one also, BTW), so as the bar fills quicker in this game it is a bit tricky to calculate the correct amount of power... but hey!, it's not the same to run and kick a screamer than to run and calculate the effect and the power of a curled shot, so that's the way it's gotta be.

The passing has improved as well, as the ball now travels a tad quicker and bounces a little more, so it's more realistic. Through passes do not "slide" so much, so they end up slowing down and stopping before than in WE8, so that means less balls lost through the sides. The players are more capable to run by the line not losing the ball.

Another thing that thrills me is the way every player adapts perfectly to what is happening around him: no more ball passing just by the side of a team mate and him doing nothing to get it, now he will extend the leg (even in long passes, trying to intercetp it) and rob the ball - so passing has to be more careful, as there are more interceptions. One-touch play has also improved, as now players can play one touch even high balls with extreme precision (maybe Pires can do well and Drogba not as well, gotta try that), so as long passing is now also more precise and useful, you can perform superb gameplay if controlling a skilled team.

Long passing I want to comment also: it was sooo annoying in previous versions the inability of the most skilled players to make a proper long pass from one side to another, as so many times it is seen in real football. Have you seen Real Madrid play? In real life, Beckham, Figo, Zidane and Roberto Carlos are all the time changing the play from one side to another with loooong passes and great controlling (as they all are technically skilled). Now it can be done, no more 5 meter imprecisions! Do not try this with Jamaica or Hotspurs though, it certainly won't be the same. ;)

Shooting. Ah, shooting. ;) As good as it gets. Range shooting is now powerful and dangerous, you can get a total screamer into the corner, a curled blaster from mid-range, or a total skyer, depending on player position and skill. One on one situations are now a lot less common, but more dreadful (as in real life) because a slight touch of square followed by a tap of R2 can softly pass the keeper as lots of times you see on TV. How often do you see a striker shoot with all his power in a 1o1 (1on1) situation? And how many times do you see Mark Viduka dribbling the goalie and scoring? The most common way to solve a 1o1 is just trying to slide the ball to the far post as the keeper comes, and now is a little easier than before.

Momentum is another important word. The players now have more momentum, which is seen for example when you start sprinting. Now the acceleration process is more defined, and you have to spend a little more time accelerating to gain full speed, which starts coming down little by little instantly. So that means much more realistic runs by the side of the pitch, as the defender loses some time accelerating while the attacker was already at full speed: however, if the run is long the defender will be less tired and eventually will get the ball. In middle-field play momentum is also noticed by weight: should Vieira and Scholesy collide, you know who will stumble and fall, and who will keep the ball in posession.

These are just details, the complete picture is much more attractive. You HAVE to play this game to notice, it is stiffed with little details that start coming up match after match and make your eyes open wide in disbelief.

"The best just got better" ;)

damell said:
There's a thread like this every year. After a while you'll all be singing its praises.

Yep thats why people should just play the game themselves.

Gedtillo said:
Yeah. Here comes my review: from first to last, everything I've tried.

When you first stick the game in and see that welcome screen you feel a lot better than in PES - this is Winning Eleven, baby! ;) Personally, I so much prefer that classic Main Menu instead of the WE8 one. Much quicker and clear.

After having played a loooot of games (I just don't count'em, but have tried all my favourite teams and countries several times, so you get an idea, maybe over 20 matches), I can give an opinion based upon experience.

Gameplay has improved a hell of a lot, I would say. The pace and behaviour of the match is just real, the best Konami have achieved ever. The miraculous turn that appeared in WE8:LE is there, but is only performed some times, so the variety is enormous.

Using the D-Pad, the sidestep problem is none at all. I found out that it only happens when needed, and you are also free to turn 90º if running slow enough (not sprinting), so I'm very happy with that, and I have a reason to hail the change: the astonishing success of the brand new R2 shot. It would have been sooo complicated to perform these shots just after a sidestep if the latter should have to be done by pressing R2. Now you can run forward, stop, perform a dragback in front of a defender, do a quick sidestep while sprinting and as you enter the box, smack a curled bomb into the left side of the goal. Cool.

The R2 shot has to be perfomed the same way that the R1 lob was done in previous versions (and in this one also, BTW), so as the bar fills quicker in this game it is a bit tricky to calculate the correct amount of power... but hey!, it's not the same to run and kick a screamer than to run and calculate the effect and the power of a curled shot, so that's the way it's gotta be.

The passing has improved as well, as the ball now travels a tad quicker and bounces a little more, so it's more realistic. Through passes do not "slide" so much, so they end up slowing down and stopping before than in WE8, so that means less balls lost through the sides. The players are more capable to run by the line not losing the ball.

Another thing that thrills me is the way every player adapts perfectly to what is happening around him: no more ball passing just by the side of a team mate and him doing nothing to get it, now he will extend the leg (even in long passes, trying to intercetp it) and rob the ball - so passing has to be more careful, as there are more interceptions. One-touch play has also improved, as now players can play one touch even high balls with extreme precision (maybe Pires can do well and Drogba not as well, gotta try that), so as long passing is now also more precise and useful, you can perform superb gameplay if controlling a skilled team.

Long passing I want to comment also: it was sooo annoying in previous versions the inability of the most skilled players to make a proper long pass from one side to another, as so many times it is seen in real football. Have you seen Real Madrid play? In real life, Beckham, Figo, Zidane and Roberto Carlos are all the time changing the play from one side to another with loooong passes and great controlling (as they all are technically skilled). Now it can be done, no more 5 meter imprecisions! Do not try this with Jamaica or Hotspurs though, it certainly won't be the same. ;)

Shooting. Ah, shooting. ;) As good as it gets. Range shooting is now powerful and dangerous, you can get a total screamer into the corner, a curled blaster from mid-range, or a total skyer, depending on player position and skill. One on one situations are now a lot less common, but more dreadful (as in real life) because a slight touch of square followed by a tap of R2 can softly pass the keeper as lots of times you see on TV. How often do you see a striker shoot with all his power in a 1o1 (1on1) situation? And how many times do you see Mark Viduka dribbling the goalie and scoring? The most common way to solve a 1o1 is just trying to slide the ball to the far post as the keeper comes, and now is a little easier than before.

Momentum is another important word. The players now have more momentum, which is seen for example when you start sprinting. Now the acceleration process is more defined, and you have to spend a little more time accelerating to gain full speed, which starts coming down little by little instantly. So that means much more realistic runs by the side of the pitch, as the defender loses some time accelerating while the attacker was already at full speed: however, if the run is long the defender will be less tired and eventually will get the ball. In middle-field play momentum is also noticed by weight: should Vieira and Scholesy collide, you know who will stumble and fall, and who will keep the ball in posession.

These are just details, the complete picture is much more attractive. You HAVE to play this game to notice, it is stiffed with little details that start coming up match after match and make your eyes open wide in disbelief.

"The best just got better" ;)

interesting read, i am will be playing it for this first time later today and will be having an all night session on it, and i can't wait... from what i have read and the full matches i have download and watched...i am loving this game already even without picking the controller up..the game play looks more realistic to me. and i cant wait for the online version of pes5..

Ah, all night sessions... so good times... my sweet fourteen, playin' SuperNintendo till dawn... ISS Superstar Soccer Deluxe, with Koppers, Corierro, Allejo, that fake Roberto Baggio... ah, Ye Good Ol' ISSe ;)

Prior Note: The original poster sees sidestep as the move in which "a player drags aside and then proceeds forward". Wrong. Sidestep is ONLY dragging aside, moving forward is a secondary option one can perform AFTER the sidestep, as valid as for exemple moving up or down. That way sidestep is not a move done only by joe cole but by every breathing soccer player in a game, trying to gain angle, change direction when running, etc.

I simpathize with Analog users, but it was time they payed the penalty :). WE has, in the past years, beneficted greatly analog users over d-pad veterans, when the experience and advantages should be the same, on a fair scenario.

Nevertheless i think all this complaints about sidestep are wrong.

The problem is that people always regarded sidestep as a feint when it's not: it's a normal move any soccer player does lots of times in a game, trying to gain space, angle or another progression direction.

The unrealistic thing was 90º turns without even stopping like it happened before in the series, no human player does that and keeps his kidneys. If a soccer player is runing with the ball and want's to turn 90º left or right he usually stops and proceeds imediately in the desired direction or... he sidesteps left or right, even changing the pace of his run, and then proceeds left or right, just like in WE9.

We may not like it, we may be used to old time playing but the truth is only one: auto sidestep is the realistic move... 90º sudden changes of direction were a robotic reality that some like but no one can say realistic.

Last edited:
Doubla R said:
Which you think is better an easier? to play, do tricks everything, analog or d-pad?
Better and easier, hm. It's certainly more successful because you can press different directions and execute actions such as tricks a lot quicker. The feeling is more natural when playing with the analog stick, running and aiming shots seems easier with it, it's also the better option for free kicks. Both methods have their advantages really, but as the game is now with limited running directions suitable for the d-pad, I'll stick with the d-pad until a new version that implements 360° movement is out. Then I'll be happy to switch back to using the stick again.

Mauras said:
The problem is that people always regarded sidestep as a feint when it's not: it's a normal move any soccer player does lots of times in a game, trying to gain space, angle or another progression direction.
I agree it is not really a feint, and it does happen a lot of times in a game. However, as it is now it happens in about every dribble I make. If I turn three or four times to move away from a defender, he'll do three sidesteps in a row or make a complete square. It happens way to often to look realistic in my opinion.

The unrealistic thing was 90º turns without even stopping like it happened before in the series, no human player does that and keeps his kidneys.
Fully agree, but the sidestep as it is now is not the perfect solution to this problem. I'd like to see a more simple animation that takes about the same time to play.

Last edited:
Perky Intruder said:
That statement was wonderful, wonderful at making the person who made it look like an ignoranus. Firstly because no-one has actually said WE8:LE is better (perhaps you are the blind one), and secondly, even if they had of said that, it would not make them blind and it's not exactly nice to jest about a condition that effects many peoples lives.

So let's not end this discussion with a mindless, ignorant comment. Let's continue it so others can be made aware of the issues at hand and perhaps find workarounds for the benefit of the community.

ok homie i respond one time and one time only aint gonna be nomore statements by myself:

i hope that one day all your troubles will come to an end and that you will enjoy life in its fullest glory and passion. i hope all your depressions and bitterness will vanish and that you dont take anything as a personal offense nomore.

peace

Tried playing WE8LWE after hours of WE9..and its just wrong.. the game feels like crap compared to WE9.

WE9 is amazing, i only played 3 games till now, but it is great. I played 2 games with porto, and one with Portugal, and the game never seemed so real.

One thing which I didn't like was the fact that when the ball is on the far side of the field (away from the camera) the camera does not zoom in like it does in previous versions. This makes it feel too far away when you are playing on the far flank and this led to countless mistakes, dribbling off the field etc.

Maybe this was to stop slowdown...I don't know, but I don't like it!
Feel I need to squint to see up there in the top of the pitch (and I play via a projector!)

jonboyo said:
Maybe this was to stop slowdown...I don't know, but I don't like it!
Feel I need to squint to see up there in the top of the pitch (and I play via a projector!)

Think Konami are testing things now for next gen.
Just my opinion.

Bah. I'm an analogue stick person. Disappointing to say the least. I'll play PES4 for the next to months with the D-Pad to prepare myself for PES5.

Perky Intruder said:
I'm going back to Winning Eleven 8: Liveware Evolution I am afraid.

Note: This review is based on my play as an analog user, the main issue I talk abot does not effect players who use the d-pad.

After 3 matches, I have seen about forty to fifty sidesteps by my team which I never intended to do, most of them on first touches which distrupted my play. Everyone is moaning at filthydani, yes he is going about it in the wrong way and spamming, but I am afraid what he is saying has a lot of truth in it. The fact is I can not be bothered to learn how to use the d-pad to control my players, and I was actually still enjoying Winning Eleven 8: Liveware Evolution where I had the choice if I wanted to do fancy moves and sidesteps, I do NOT like it being forced upon me.

So this is a direct warning to people thinking of purchasing the game, be prepared for a dramatic increase in the number of sidesteps.

Personally I think it's a real shame, so much of the game I liked. The menu system and presentation really has improved ten fold, the kit customisation is very handy and the edit mode looks superb. There are so many great new animations but these are overshadowed by the number of uncessary sidesteps. Often I would be passing out of defence, my defender would control it, sidestep, get tackled, and consequently surrender possession, that really did enfuriate me. The shooting system is also brilliant, I hit some cracking efforts and although the R2 shot isn't the "curling shot" people had hoped for it certainly is different to the normal shot.

Another aspect I didn't find endearing was the heading. The animations were definately improved, it was the results of the heading I found poor. A lot of times headers looked false and too fast, my first ever goal in WE9 came from a Joe Cole, yes, I did say Joe Cole, bullet header into the top corner, this was not something I was expecting.

The other thing that struck me as odd was the gameplay, reading the general opinions I couldn't figure out what to expect, some people were saying it was slower, others saying it was faster. What I found was the general game player was slower, but the actual passing and dribbling was faster. Perhaps it takes some getting used to, but this came across as rather unrealistic, it was almost like the animations were too quick for the gameplay?

The responsiveness of players is exceptional, you can really think before the ball gets to the players and play a quick first time pass, increasing the flexibility in attack build-ups, you can really play quick-fire passing triangles to split open your opposition. I did not notice any great changes in the off-the-ball AI, the runs were still slightly limited but the aerial through-balls and through-balls are now much more effective so you can make better use of the few runs your team do offer you :)

One thing which I didn't like was the fact that when the ball is on the far side of the field (away from the camera) the camera does not zoom in like it does in previous versions. This makes it feel too far away when you are playing on the far flank and this led to countless mistakes, dribbling off the field etc.

There are so many small inclusions which leave a smile on your face, as small as a player running into the net and putting their hands out to stop themselves tearing a hole in it. :) At the end of the day though, a sour taste is left in my mouth and this is what is making me head for the confines of Winning Eleven 8: Liveware Evolution.

A real, real shame - I can only hope other people who use the analog stick can find a way to reduce this problem.

Famitsu Style Rating: 31/40

i agree with you buddy, we9 does seem more unrealistic..the player animations are slower yet shooting and passing is much faster..
im also gonna stick with we8 has there is nothing much improved in the new game

Perky Intruder said:
Another aspect I didn't find endearing was the heading. The animations were definately improved, it was the results of the heading I found poor. A lot of times headers looked false and too fast, my first ever goal in WE9 came from a Joe Cole, yes, I did say Joe Cole, bullet header into the top corner, this was not something I was expecting.

Funnily enough my first we9 goal was with joe cole too, it was a cross from s.w.p to volley into the top left corner though.

Personally ive found the game to be more realistic, I found it much harder to play through balls, and dribbling is tougher too.

I feel like going back to PES4 after earlier, the amount of fouls in 2 games I played were fucking ridiculous, you have to be an expert to win the ball, unless you touch the ball with 100% perfection you aint getting it. I noticed that EVERYTIME you walk into the CPU players its either a foul or advantage, pissed me off.

If the ML is like that then its bakc to PES4 I go, which is a shame.

Also the fact L1 + Triangle is now 100% useless unless your in your own half and MAYBE you have a slight chance of catching up with the ball.

Not to forget your keepers seem crap, its like the CPU has a 70% of scoring if their shot is on target, the keeper saves nothing.

Did I mention the fact you need to do 6 skills and 50 passes to get past a player?..if you dont you get thrown off the ball, and there is no sign of a foul or advantage.

I see they have added the bullshit AI into the cups now, so I can imagine what the ML is going to be like, this is on JUST 3 stars btw.

bonzo13 said:
Bah. I'm an analogue stick person. Disappointing to say the least. I'll play PES4 for the next to months with the D-Pad to prepare myself for PES5.

Haha! That's what I'm doing right now too, plus I like dribbling and doing tricks, there are some I don't know how to do tho, people do them like nothing but if I do it, is just luck, I'll practice though.

kingpug said:
I feel like going back to PES4 after earlier, the amount of fouls in 2 games I played were fucking ridiculous, you have to be an expert to win the ball, unless you touch the ball with 100% perfection you aint getting it. I noticed that EVERYTIME you walk into the CPU players its either a foul or advantage, pissed me off.

Every time you want the ball you hold r1 + x. Is that right? ;)

I have only 6-8 fouls in one game...

Back
Top Bottom