Google Stadia

I actually really liked the idea of streaming gaming and how stadia was set up (non subscription based, no downloads, updates, no need to own a console, play in any device). And technology wise it felt pretty great.
Its always good to have options so this one I'm a bummed about.

What's weird is today at noon I got a marketing email about new stuff that I had missed from stadia and new games (fifa 23 is releasing tomorrow in stadia) and then at 6pm I get an email about it shutting down
I think it even caught employees by surprise
Oh well guess i got 3 controllers, 3 Chromecasts and rented some games for free during this period.

I guess I like the idea of streaming gaming as well, but more in an ideal world rather than the one we live in.. in the current landscape I just wish we'll have software based games for as long as possible. If it all becomes digital preserving many games may become impossible (it's already hard enough with clients). I know it has upsides like practicality and immediacy, but these things still can't top that one to me.

I guess I like the idea of streaming gaming as well, but more in an ideal world rather than the one we live in.. in the current landscape I just wish we'll have software based games for as long as possible. If it all becomes digital preserving many games may become impossible (it's already hard enough with clients). I know it has upsides like practicality and immediacy, but these things still can't top that one to me.

Oh I agree and the fact that I am losing the games I bought on Stadia (digitally) means I never really owned them. Im getting the money back but with physical copies I could save them somewhere. So in that part I agree 100%

However, I feel stadia came at a right moment, COVID hit and there was shortage of GPU/Consoles, so the concept of having an old controller and booting up a recent game in a Mac/2015 old laptop was something pretty cool. Additionally, someone who wanted to play for example just Madden, wouldnt have to buy a console just for it. It was just there.

Who knows, I do wish we could keep physical games in our library for us. But then again, I think it will eventually move all digital, look at the convenience of having books and music digitally.

Im with you though, but I did see the gaming segment Stadia covered and it was an interesting one.

Got refunded all my games. Check Ubisoft launcher, all my Ubisoft games bought in stadia got refunded AND got added automatically to my PC library which is pretty nice.
Stadia but for me was a great service. Bummed its shutting down

Stadia controller gets bluetooth unlocking tool. Now that it wont connect to wifi, I used it yesterday with my PC via BT. Just a simple browser process to get it to work.

Better than nothing if you already have the hardware, its not a bad controller. Seems they’ll unlock for a short period of time so might as well do it before google takes down the tool

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom