Great Live albums and bands...

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
In the thread about Coldplay and X and Y we were talking about live bands and that made me thinking. I really love live music..as a matter of fact i love live albums and DVD's...so why not start about live music????

The best concert i've ever seen was a surprise concert of Prince in a Brussels gay club (yes, yes...)called "Le garage". This was somewhere in the begeinning of the nineties and by then it was known that after his concerts Prince ended up in that gay club. With a couple of friends we missed the sold out concert but took the gamble and went to the gay club...Prince did a second concert there and it was great, i have seen hunderds of gigs (as a student i worked in Brussels' biggest concert hall) but this one was easily the best. He and the band played more than four hours and they were magic...at the end i was exhausted but it was divine music...

A couple of great live albums:

Rock of Ages: The Band
The Last Waltz: The Band & guests.
Chicken Skin Revue: Ry Cooder
the first live album of Van Morrison
Waiting for Columbus: Litle Feat (very, very underestimated band)
solo live album by John Cale (can't remember the title)
Stop Making Sense: the Talking Heads (fantastic film too).
Elvis Costelle - Steve Nieve live box
i must have forgotten to mention dozens of others...

Recently: the Kraftwerk live album (Minimum - Maximum ???).

I would like a live album by The Walkabouts (great band with great new album Acetylene). The best Seattle band ever (because they never were a Grunge band).

Last edited:
Sorry if it doesn't Seem like much of a contrabution , But I would highly recommend anyone To go and See MUSE . Not even a fan but its one of the best performances i've seen . Closely Followed By radiohead ( not much of a fan Either :S ) .

Is that the live box of Springsteen??? I have that one...
I'm particularly fond of his live version of "Fire" (long break and then "ARomeo and Juliet, Samson and Delilah"...i love that one).
Also very very good live artist: Stephan Eicher and the great Joseph Arthur.

Johnny Cash's two released prison concerts are fantastic (Folsom and San Quentin). Raw energy and good music from one of the best ever. My favourite is the Folsom Prison one.

A couple of good live DVD's are Metallica and San Francisco orchestra (S&M) which gives a good combination between the two music types.

I also like Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged which was a good show too

Metallica, i bought that S&M CD 5 years ago..it was the first metal album i bought for more than twenty years (the previous ones were hard roch like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath). My wife was in the last weeks of her first pregnancy and i was becoming blood nervous...that bombastic music suited me quite well by the time...i listened to it alot. Now i can only listen to two or three songs in a row, but it still helps when i'm nervous...About Metallica and DVD's. There is a DVD about the record process of their mast album...it allegedly gives a shocking images of the ego clashes between the Metallica members.

badlandz said:
The boss live in nyc, nils tears up his guitar on youngstown.

That indeed is great, I also love Lost in the Flood there. I think Bruce hadn't played that song in years, but it's just fantastic.

I'm bringing up good topics, they're up for new input now!

Motion Sickness - Bright Eyes. You have to get used to it, but it gets better after a few listens. Also, a great live DVD is REM live at Wiesbaden.

Nightwish.
Fantastic Finnish rock group fronted by a classically trained opera singer.[At least until they sacked her in spectacular fashion at the end of a world tour in September].

Babyshambles :)

All UK residents will probably know about Pete Doherty completely going off the rails and that he's in need of a kick up the arse, but..

I went to see them here in Sheffield on the 10th of January, a really late-planned gig and for £15 entry it was a top night. One of the guitarists quit on the 9th so Pete had to go back to playing guitar while doing vocals and he was faultless, they all were.

Highlights of the night were Fuck Forever, The Man Who Came To Stay and when they did a roaring version of Don't Look Back Into The Sun before strumming straight into Oasis' Don't Look Back In Anger!

Big thumbs up

U2 - Bad/40/Where The Streets Have No Name live from Boston 2005. this live trio of songs is a spiritual experience in my opinion, I would have given my right leg to have been there, then I would have got to sit in the handicapped section where there is a better view right in front of the band.

Alright, went to see Iron & Wine and Calexico two weeks ago. What an amazing gig!! Calexico are fantastic. They played for almost 3 hours and it was just one big party. Great band.

Last night was the best concert I've seen. Okkervil River live in Rotterdam. I think there were about 200 people inside the venue, but they absolutely blew me away. Afterwards me and my friend had a long chat with the bass guitar player, who was really cool and down to earth.

A Stone was the best song of the whole gig, loved it. I recommend this band to anyone.

omg Hard-Fi were fucking excellent. Apart from some fat biatch next to me who i couldn't shift regardless of how hard i tried.

Such an excellent performance :D

The best live gig here in Slovenia was performed 3 years ago in October by a Slovenian band Siddharta. I couldn't get the card, but the concert was amazing and I have it on VHS, CD and in mp3. They played for 2 hours, there was over 30.000 people (which is an absoloute record for Slovenia), there were 3 stages. One was for the band, the second was for the symphonic orchestra and the last one was for a shitloads of dancers that danced for the whole 2 hours.

I went to see their gig in January 2004 and it was also fantastic. It wasn't as big and as long, but it was great nonetheless.

But my top 2 live gigs are Robbie Williams @ Knebworth (I have that one on a CD and in mp3) and RHCP @ Hyde Park.

I recommendation for Gerd, Mart, Dan:

OKKERVIL RIVER, check them out live, they have a shitload of potential.

They don't seem to be touring this way. Any good stuff to listen to on t'internet? The official links seem to be broken.

I went to see Springsteen & The Seeger Sessions band last night. Fucking amazing stuff. Great band of musicians and a nice travel through musical history.

One more gig to go this Thursday: The Decemberists

joostebrood said:
If you use msn Mart, PM me your e-mail address. Here's the link:

http://jound.com/okkervil/main.html

And a video by them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDd4KezAFv8&search=okkervil%20river

This is quite amazing. I heard Black a month ago at a social and was so pissed off that I would never find out who sung it. I even tried typing in random (mostly wrong) lyrics into google in hopes of something. Shit. This is brilliant. The band is excellent. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom