Gym, excersise, health - Official thread

NickSCFC

Banned
18 July 2003
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Stoke City/Liverpool
Right, I'm 21, 5'9 and weigh about 10 1/2 stone.

I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for 8 months and take a protein suppliment drink betweek post workout and dinner.

Thing is, although I've noticed I've got more shape, I don't seem to have put on any weight. Here's what I eat on average a day...

Sugar Puffs (x1)
Banana (x2)
Chicken (2 pieces) and chips
Tune (1 tin)
Lazagne/cannelloni (x1)
Rice (1 bowl)
Others (Couple of bags of crips, an apple)

So what's going on, I;m eating enough I'm sure. Sure I want a toned body with a v-shape, but I could really do with getting bigger.

Any tips?

Last edited:
Re: I want to put on weight!

If you want muscle mass, you'll want to up your protein intake, Pasta isjust carbs really, it may help you put on weight, but its not ideal for what you want (if its more muscle?).

It all depends on what kind of weight you want to put on?

Your metabolism is still probably quite high as well, wait another year and believe me you'll not be worrying about wanting to put on weight, it'll be more a case of "how the fuck can I get rid of it?!?!". :lol:

Try eating more than one sugar puff.

(Dar covered the serious advice)

im 5"7 and weight 10 stone 12. im pretty toned but quite bulky. best thing i found was to go gym and concentrate on the bench press and weights. muscle weights more than fat, so that s a way to put weight on. but some people are just naturally skinny, so maybe for you it harder than for the rest of us.

I do back and biceps on Mondays...

chest and triceps on Wednesdays (feel pretty stiff today)...

and shoulders and legs on Fridays.

Usually feel like my muscles will burst by the end of the 4th excersise. Dinner time me thinks :mrgreen:

Dar said:
If you want muscle mass, you'll want to up your protein intake, Pasta isjust carbs really, it may help you put on weight, but its not ideal for what you want (if its more muscle?).

It all depends on what kind of weight you want to put on?

Your metabolism is still probably quite high as well, wait another year and believe me you'll not be worrying about wanting to put on weight, it'll be more a case of "how the fuck can I get rid of it?!?!". :lol:
Aint that the truth, 26 and I am starting to get scared about it.

i think im the best person to ask on this because i have been there and gave up :)

U need to eat 6 meals a day idealy

Brekkie
Snack
Dinner
Snack
Tea
Snack

thats the best way to do it. You need to be eating lots of Protein (fish, chicken), carbs (pasta) and a bit of fat as well

i bought a book on gaining weight that tells you what to eat but ill be here all day so i have simplified

as training goes 3 times a week Monday, Wednesday and Friday making sure u do a burnout session at the end of each by putting a low weight and smashing it till u feel like dieing :))

I bet what i said makes no sense anyway but ill tell u more info if u want it

I usually do a light set of 15 reps with a lighter weight at the end of each excersise...

followed by the usual scream and weights flying across the room, light weights on shoulders f**king kill :P

I was pretty skinny at one time but all i did was start eating 5 meals(dont have to be big meals) a day and training 5/6 times a week.

Day 1: Back and shoulders
Day 2: Chest(both upper and lower) and triceps
Day 3: Biceps and Triceps
Day 4: Rest

I just continue that same sequence and even though some people might say thats over-training as long as your body can take it then its ok.
I chuck in some leg exercices when i can be bothered with any of the sessions.

Don't work out and go to McDonalds a lot. That'll increase your weight.

Then you can consider sticking to this tough regime or go back to working out and then being buff.

;)

Your just not eating enough mate, I train everyday. Not much fitness just bodybuilding most of the time. Buy yourself some protein bars for when you ain't got time for a meal. You need to feed your muscles constantly when training. Straight after you've trained have a protien shake or a bar, also drink a high in carbs fruit juice while training, it'll help I promise. 30 mins after you train have a proper meal, I always eat a chicken from the local sainsburys and mix it with pasta.

But also get some build up shakes and creatine, you'll have to take creatine 4 times a day for 5 day when you start to complete the loading phase. Then just one everyday to maintain it. Creatine will basically make you able to train harder and make your recovery time shorter and all of which will increase your strength. Because before mass you want strength. I mix my creatine with a build up shake as you killing 2 birds with one stone then. Also it takes away the not so nice taste of the creatine. But make sure you buy good quality creatine, I use creapure by reflex.

Now you don't need to train for hours 1 - 1 1/2 hors a session is enough. Also after a few weeks have a week off, this will give your muscles a proper rest and you will actually be stronger when you start up again.

Now I train like this:

Monday - Chest- triceps - machine leg exercises
Tuesday - Back - bicep - Forearms
Wedneday -Chest -tricep - rower and cycling machine 10 mins each
Thursday - Back - biceps - forearms - Free weights leg exercises (Squats are a must to gain size)
Friday - Chest - tricep - rower and cycling machine 10 mins each

Then the next week I'll alternate and do back and bicep 3 times and chest and tricep twice. I use saturday as a free day incase I can't make one session. It is intensive but this will make you use alot of energy so like I said you need to eat loads. Also don't do too much aerobic exercise or you'll just be burning muscle if your already quite lean. Also you can't do the same exercise for ever, your body becomes accustomed to exercises and you'll hit a plateau. So every 6 months or so change the exercise your using for each muscle group. The only ones I don't change are the foundation must haves like squats and benchpresses.

But more important than all this is your form, make sure you do every rep with perfect form or it's a waste of time. Thats a main reason why people don't gain size. I've spoke to lads in the gym who say they've been training for months and apart from the early pump that everyone gets they don't seem to be progressing. The reason is form cos if your not lifting it correctly it will do know good. Practice with lighter weights till you can do this. Then move higher but only when you can keep the same movement.

Also make sure you have a spotting partner that can help you with the heavy lifts. Remember heavy weights low reps for mass increase light weights high reps for toning ;)

Hope this helps you in someway mate, cos there's no better feeling than when you look in the mirror and see the effects of your hours of training.

Last edited:

mattster12 said:
Hope this helps you in someway mate, cos there's no better feeling than when you look in the mirror and see the effects of your hours of training.

LOL that made me laugh. I can just imagine someone looking at themselves in the mirror and just breaking out into a smile.

LOL it's true though mate once you start seeing your efforts working and paying off you find yourself spending alot of time in the mirror. It's a bit gay and very vain but you just can't help it :lol:

mattster12 said:
LOL it's true though mate once you start seeing your efforts working and paying off you find yourself spending alot of time in the mirror. It's a bit gay and very vain but you just can't help it :lol:

If those are your norks in your avatar mate then I cant blame ya :)

LOL yes that was after a serious course of steriods, unfortunatley I took the wrong the sort and grew massive breasts. :mrgreen:

I was always told growing up that pasta was really good for you, nice and light and healthy, and yet lately I've been told by my girlfriend (and have just seen in this thread) that it's terrible for you and puts weight on you due to all the carbs.

...Just thought I'd share my confusion really, never been into all this carbs\weights\gym stuff... :|

Nah carbs aren't bad for you, but if you eat alot more than body actually needs then they'll turn into fat. So when your training you need lots as you'll burn carbs fast. I mean protein, carbs and fat...yes fat are the 3 main foods for energy.

While your training and if it's quite intensive you'll need to eat alot more of these to a) keep your energy levels high enough for you to be able to train well and b) to feed your muscles when your recovering.

It's like they say too much of anything is bad for you, but there are good carbs and bad carbs. So pasta, brown bread, potatoes etc... are good carbs. But shit like pies and cakes and white bread are bad carbs. So if your eating the good carbs and training well it's all good ;)

I do the 12, 10, 8, light set excersizes. I do reps slowly, move up, hold, slowly lower down.

I see guys lifting bars at the gym and their back is swaying all the time. Sure they're big, but it's all drugs.

Start doing heavy sets, you need to really rip your muscles so they'll grow bigger. I do for example a warm up set on each exercise before i start my proper sets. So for bench press I warm up with 15 reps with 20kg on each side. Then I start my set with 30kg on each side and do 10 reps. Then 35kg on each side and 8 reps for my 2nd set. Then for my final set I do 40kg on each side doing only 6 reps. By the last set your chest feels like it's been ripped off, but thats what you want cos it'll grow back bigger.

Then I move onto incline and decline for chest so your working upper and lower pecs too. You've got a push yourself thats why you need a spotter, if non of your mates are there just ask someone else. But make sure they look like they know what there doing cos you don't want a bar lying on your neck and your legs flyin in the air trust me.

But try and lift as much as you can with low reps while keeping good form, this will give you the biggest benefit in terms of brute strength and gaining mass. I mean even if you only manage 4 next time go for 5 and just progress like this.

I'm currently up to 25k (each side)on decline, have to get pretty psyced up to pump 10 of them bastards out :mrgreen:

I think I'm doing OK, my mate's completely changed in the space of a year since he started, he seems to eat alot more than I can stomach though.

I started working out about 3 months ago, but recently I just can't be bothered for some reason. I really wanna get back into it though

Noted said:
I started working out about 3 months ago, but recently I just can't be bothered for some reason. I really wanna get back into it though
I started working out about six years ago, but in the last five years 11 months and 28 days I just can't be bothered for some reason. I really wanna get back into it though

Its all about motivation but sadly theres no motivation in winter unless you've already got the body.

The thing with training is once you start you can't stop. Cos as soon as you stop you lose whatever you gained twice as quick as you put it on. But yes it's all about motivation and how you want to feel. If you feel happy with yourself then great but if you don't only you can do something about it.

I've been training properly for about 4 1/2 years, but I enjoy it and once you notice the difference it just becomes routine. The hardest thing is getting into a routine and sticking with it. So many people start but quit after a short time because they want it all to happen overnight.

Ive started but dont really know what kg's to start on for the dumbells or barbell's. Any help appreciated as i dont feel it doing anything although i stuggle to do reps of 10 after a few sets

mattster12 said:
So many people start but quit after a short time because they want it all to happen overnight.
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm wanting to *lose* weight rather than gain it at the moment, but I cannot understand how (no shit) after a month of eating proper meals including vegetables, all crap banned and no eating after 6pm, I'm the exact same weight as I was at the start of the month. It knocks the stuffing out of you when you're trying so hard and naff all happens. It gives me the belief that some people aren't able to lose weight without a hell of a lot of work, which I don't think I have the time for until I get less busy.

It's so, so, so annoying as well when you know someone who's in danger of falling down drains and yet they can eat McShit for a week and not gain a pound. Someone up there is taking the piss.

try eating only 1,500 calories a day and doing cardio 4-5 times a week, either, running or cycling .... interval training is good as well. do it for 30 mins and push yourself to the max

use light weights and do 4 x 10 sets

it worked for me, and you get used to the routine after a while, i lost about 2 stone with this method after about 6-8 months, gotta stick with it to get the rewards.

good luck fella

p.s. i find having music on whilst doing cardio helps, especially You Fat Bastard by bad manners! helpd me for sure

dkelsall10 said:
Ive started but dont really know what kg's to start on for the dumbells or barbell's. Any help appreciated as i dont feel it doing anything although i stuggle to do reps of 10 after a few sets

If your just starting you need to actually get your muscles used to training first. Just find a comfortable weight you can do 3 sets of 10 with and just do that for each exercise for a couple of weeks. But when I say comfortable I don't mean a piss easy weight, just something that is still challenging but not working you to failure and causing you too lose form.

Cos if you work to failure in your early session you'll be unable to train properly for a while cos your muscles will be aching that bad. So just build up your technique and get your muscles used to actually lifting and doing sets.

Then after 2-3 weeks start pushing yourself a bit more, try doing a heaver weight on your last set with only 8 reps. But whatevr you do always do a warm up set on each exercise, especially now were coming into the winter months it's vital. Just find a easy weight where you do 12-15 reps just to loosen them up a bit. Then while your training do lots of stretchs for the muscle your workin on. Cos you don't wanna pull a muscle before you even really started.

master ur advice seems spot on. im 20 and wieght in about 10st 2lbs. im really skinny though which is deppressing. could u please tell me a guide of what to eat through tha day. I haven't got tha money to buy all this fancy stuff as i'm at collage full time. Also if u could tell me a weioght guide i could use at home as i waqnt to get a weight set.
Even if u could tell mehow i could just gain fat that would be a blessing.
cheers mate

Back
Top Bottom