Halo 3 - Official Topic

I agree guys, but you can mute them, or at least you will be able to in Halo3. Shooters are far more enjoyable with a bunch of people you know. That is how I intend to play Halo3 MP when it is released.

A video has leaked of the Halo3 Beta showing off the revised Zanzibar level. This level won't be in the public beta next month. You can see the footage here. Apart from the god awful music in the vid, I have to say it is looking really cool. On the surface it is still Halo but the scale seems to have been upped in the environments. The lighting is fantastic too. I am getting more and more hyped for this game, I can't wait!

No doubt there will be a million and one, "OMGZ TEH H4LO3 GFX < H4LO!!!" flying around the interwebs.

you're right lemon, so many idiots online trashing it.

its halo. i wonder what everyone expected?

I for one cant wait for this......I still play halo2 now. I really need to get the elite for this.

I was lucky enough to get a Bungie Friends and Family invite so I am downloading the Beta as we speak. I'll post back later with impressions.

Ooook, so where to start.

I wasn't a big Halo 2 multiplayer fan, it was alright but I joined the party too late and just got my ass kicked too often. So, to be able to play with only a few hundred guys, all on a level playing field was great.

So onto the impressions after 2 hours play and 7 games....

First thing to note is that I "think" this is the first game to feature a "Return to the Dashboard" option in the menu, so you don't have to bring up the guide.

The menu system is very much like Halo 2's, subtle and really nice.

The customisation of your Spartan is much improved with regards to colouring your armour in unique ways.

Gameplay:
Bottom line is that it feels and plays like Halo, which is a good thing. However, the new weapons, especially the Assault Rifle add some balance to the weapon set. The BR in H2 was not a very nice starting weapon where as the AR is, you can pick up kills with it very well.

The deployables are fantastic, they really add another layer of gameplay and tactics to the maps. The Bubbleshield is useful to heavy fire, just remember that people can enter the shield with you so you can still get taken down. The portable grav lift is a brilliant addition to get to high places. The other I used was the shield drainer, again very useful, especially if you are running out of health. Radar scramblers are also available.

Spike grenades are a welcome "sticky" grenade edition and the Spartan Laser is cool, although it takes a while to charge. If you walk up to a mounted weapon, like a chain gun and press RB to use it, then press B you will drop into 3rd person and detach the gun. It slows you down but again, it is a nice addition.

Independant reloading whilst dual wielding is a godsend as it used to take an AAAAGE in Halo2. The control scheme seems strange at first but I think it makes more sense once you are used to it.

Maps:
Druring the 2 hours only High Ground and Snowbound were picked, I didn't get to play the level with the man cannon. High Ground is a great medium sized map with plenty of strategy for CTF games. Snowbound has shield doors which are great and again add to the depth of play on the map. I will add more after more play.

Graphics:
Ok, I am in SD, so I can't comment on how things look in HD. All I can say is that even in SD I think the graphical style is brilliant, the lighting effects are very nice and the texture work is good. It is still Halo, just with an updated engine, which is all anyone expected really. It isn't even worth comparing to GoW as they are completely different beasts. The one thing this does have over Gears...colour. ;)

Sound:
This was the stand out element for me, it is spectacular. The sound of distant firefights, the echo effects off the canyon walls and corridors are all executed brilliantly. The weapons have more ooomph behind them as well. If you have a Dolby 5.1 system it will be put to good use, I used headphones and it was brilliant, especially bullets whooshing past your head.

Medals:
Some new medals include...

KillJoy - Stopping someone on a Killing Spree
Death from the Grave - Killing someone as you are killed
Laser Kill

Bottom line (after a just 2 hours)

Great fun all round whether I was playing Rumble Training or ranked games it was a blast, and this is coming from someone who isn't the most enthusiastic about playing with unknowns. Looking forward to playing more over the next few days/weeks.

I think that is all for now, if you have any questions fire away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback LJ you lucky bugger, how are you considered a 'friend' anyhow, are you a reg on the Bungie forums?

I thought more people would be interested in your thoughts, I for one can't wait after watching that trailer you posted above. I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed with the graphics, especially after Gears of War. But I'm sure it won't detract me from the amazing Halo experience :D

EDIT:
I've been reading around and it seems Bungie have just randomly allocated codes to members on Bungie.net. People who have signed up and never visited the site again have got a code!

I've just checked my PM box on there, no joy :(

Last edited:
I got my code through winning a comp that Marty O'Donnell (Bungie Audio Lead/composor) was running.

:D

1PM tommorow, UK time. The yanks have gotta be up in the early hours if they wanna start downloading it before the rush. Makes a nice change, everything usually seems to be released time wise to suit their zones

Last edited:
So I'm presuming it's not at all important to me when the beta is released as I don't have an invite? Or is it public?

Sorry for being slow, I'm not really looking forward to yet another FPS, but I was impressed by Gears Of War, so... I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Awesome, September 26th is my birthday :D

Us comp winners get the codes and ability to d/l the Beta a little earlier than the Crackdown lot. So I'm downloading the Beta as we speak :D

Awesome, September 26th is my birthday :D

Us comp winners get the codes and ability to d/l the Beta a little earlier than the Crackdown lot. So I'm downloading the Beta as we speak :D

Cool, post some impressions after a few games. I am interested to hear what you think.

Ill be sure to check back in a while to see what you have written Flawl3ss.

Dj

Well my brother is playing it at the moment and I am watching. The graphics have impressed me - they look very slick / sharp and lush in HD.

The sound as LJ says, is amazing. My brothers first match was a Rocket one on Valhalla and all around you could hear the sounds of rockets exploding in the distance

^ Sounds promising. Wonder if I will be able to download it later when ive finished work? Ive got Crapdown...

Dj

Damn, I want to play it now. :(

If I'm mad enough to go and buy Crackdown (a game I really don't like), would I definitely get into the beta or is it a random selection that get into it? Or is it even too late?

Crackdown owners can now download the Beta. Jack you're mad if you don't like Crackdown! It's a brilliant game.

Back
Top Bottom