Hands on PES6 PS2 near final build

Riot

Conference
3 May 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Got the PS2 near final build, team's still working on the game for a few more weeks before submission. Release date is very late October with the PSP coming in late november I'd guess. Same as last year.

To give you an idea where I come from with my opinions.

I always move on to the latest PES/WE. I want the latest players and changes and I dont ever change stats via option files, that aint the same game I bought anymore. I want to play what the game creators give me, simple as that.

I gave 8/10 in our mag for PES5 and I have to admit after a year's play, it's by far the best game in the series, 10/10 I'd say. Only niggles are the annoying refereeing which keeps stopping the game. I can live with the other small problems. Game rocks.

Sports games are really difficult to review, takes so long to learn the nuances in something like PES, Madden and NHL.

WE10 was the first game in the series that I didnt like. Too crowded in midfield and weak goalkeepers really turned me off. Why change when PES5 is so good. I have to admit I do like getting the player transfers and new kits via option files, so thats all good. Keeps PES5 fresh.

So I didn't know what to do with PES6. It looked barely good on Xbox 360 at Leipzig (I hate to say it, but FIFA 07 kills it in terms of graphics and wht's even crazier is that, yep, FIFA 07 plays really good), but now having played about a dozen matches of PES6 PS2 near final, reviewable copy, I gotta say I like it.

What strikes you is that the framerate and animation are *clearly* smoother than before. PES5 had a bit of on rails animations going on. Animations are a whole lot more organic than in PES5, it's very noticeable and a nice surprise. I think this is even improved over WE10.

Crowds look like crap, but there's just no memory for them. I wish they'd drop the referee from the game, it's pointless in there and just takes away CPU power.

Midfield isn't as fucking crowed as in WE10, I could clearly feel that as playing PES6 wasn't frustrating as WE10 was. It's not like you are in a pinball machine.

Goalkeepers....yes, they ARE better. They still do block the ball to their right a lot of times, but there's been some amazing saves and the keepers do grab a lot of the shots...they dont spill the ball as often as in WE10 and more importantly, in our matches, we only scored a few more cheap kinda goals where the goalkeeper didn't get ahold of the ball and the striker got there first to tap it in. It felt crap the moment I started WE10, but doesn't in PES6, so that's a big, big relief. I still think the goalkeepers probably aren't the best in PES6, but we'll see.

We played England - Brazil which was 1-7 and we are both skilled players. The Brazil super playes were just too good for me. Then Real - Barca, Tottenmham- Aston Villa/Barca were far better, 0-0, 2-3, 1-1, 0-0, etc.

No R2 sidestep?!? What the hell. I miss it very much, but I played with my friend and he never used it so he didnt. (He's Bombay PS2-online btw.) I started to get used to it, but it's weird since you dont have an automatic button to hit for dribble, but just wriggling around with the d-pad

I played with Liverpool and scored two screamers from the edge of the bog with Bellamy, which was awesome. He and Kuyt were really speedy.

Thats the thing here...it's awesome to see Messi turn super fast and get rid of his defenders. You have to be VERY careful in defending, not to let the attacker get into full speed or turn around you quickly...I like this speed difference realism very much. Defending is hard, but it makes for a more free scoring and perhaps a better experience that way. My friend was creating havoc in my Liverpool defense with Messi, who was just turning and dribbling in a really cool way. Very nice!

It seems relatively easy to dribble in the box and make passes that lead to goals, kinda like in PES5.

Oh and *uck all Brasil/AC Milan players online who choose that team after faking taking an weaker team. Even if you like those teams. Hate that shit. Major respect to all high-ranked players who have kicked my ass with Ajax, Tottenham, Real Madrid etc, clearly teams with weaknesses in them.

Back to normal.

One problem I noticed is that when I kept the [] button down for the CPU defender to pressure the attacker, a lot of the times the CPU player moves very aggressively and totally plays himself out of the situation. That will take some practice.

Dont ask stats, players in which teams etc etc, I wont answer. The team rosters are being updated at the last minute, so they, uh, could be as up to date as possible as Seabass said in me and Billy's interview at Game Informer.

Also, if any of you are fans of the Tony Hawk franchise, you are going to LOVE Tony Hawk 8 on the Xbox 360 and PS3. It's a true step forward from Neversoft.

Riot (RiotPelaaja PS2 online)

Cool, good read mate, but I personally find PES5 a hell of a lot more infuritating to play than WE10, as WE10 is more fluid and fast paced IMO.

Cheers for the write up mate!

So when do Konami stop improving the game? around a month before release?

Also, will you be reviewing the next-gen version? Right now im more concerned/interested on that game.

Hold on, they took out the R2 sidestep again?!?!

Why? :(

Wouldn't be to help the Xbox conversion would it? :-k

Azzaboy said:
Cool, good read mate, but I personally find PES5 a hell of a lot more infuritating to play than WE10, as WE10 is more fluid and fast paced IMO.

co-sign

Riot must be out of his mind, because WE10 is way more fluid than PES5 now that I have WE10, PES5 is slower and drags more

Thanks a lot for ur review, I enjoyed reading it. Is the side step still there but automatic like PES5 or it isn't there at all? Also, Argentina is still licensed right?

Doubla R said:
Thanks a lot for ur review, I enjoyed reading it. Is the side step still there but automatic like PES5 or it isn't there at all? Also, Argentina is still licensed right?

It's not a review, please fellas. Just a preview.

Um, no in PES5 you side-step with the d-pad (or with the R2), in PES6 you cannot do it with the d-pad or R2 at all.

Interesting read. I agree with what others have said about WE10 being smoother and better to PES5 though, personally. I had to stop playing PES5 a while ago as I was getting so frustrated with it, but WE10 plays like a dream to me.

alhough I'm always thankful for these reviews...

...it's funny to see the author say "he won't talk" about rosters and stats :). I'll never understand this weird promiscuity between media and game developters. I can even understand why they won't talk about rosters update (although I don't quite believe the "they are updating them now" thing since if the game is to be really out in the end of october surely it's being massively produced already or they won't meet the deadline) but not talking about stats? Why?

When will someone from the alledgely "gaming magazines" have the balls to ask mr. seabass who the hell are the "experts" that make all those (let me put this nicely) crappy and low quality stats filled with inconsistent valuations of players?

Seabass has been interviews hundreds of times. "gaming magazines" have made cover stories about him and his series loads of times. Yet no one ever had the "big idea" to ask him or konami who are and where do they sit: those magnificient football experts that pick the best engeneered game of soccer and fill it with stats that seemed to be put up by a group of "I know all about soccer" 15 year olds. I wonder why...

Let me wait and dream.

Last edited:
Yes someone should ask who are the so called 'stat experts' in Konami. Although PLF did make a very good guess :mrgreen:

Thanks for the preview Riot, but I am yet to see a PES game better than the WE game. Maybe I am just biased, but I do hope its better

Abhishek said:
Yes someone should ask who are the so called 'stat experts' in Konami. Although PLF did make a very good guess :mrgreen:

sure it was funny but post it or link it. I wanna see that :)

imo the absence of the r2 sidestep is being compensated by the fluid movements of (skilled) players. Cutting inside by simply using the up or down button also works like a charm, as long as your timing is good. Also the shot feint proves to be very usefull in combination with a normal sidestep.

Tnx for the preview riot, although having played we10 since its release to most interesting thing i found was your comment about fifa07. Is it "really" good, or just the 1st couple of games kind of thing.

I'm glad to hear here that PES6 plays slower and that they have improved the congested midfield, that just used to get on my tits.. WE10 was a step back compaired to WE9-JL in my mind, so i'm now more hopefull..

Defending is hard, but it makes for a more free scoring and perhaps a better experience that way. My friend was creating havoc in my Liverpool defense with Messi, who was just turning and dribbling in a really cool way. Very nice!

It seems relatively easy to dribble in the box and make passes that lead to goals, kinda like in PES5.
Jesus Christ cant believe . This is crap Konami u lost your mind !!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you noticed anything different at all in Master League mode between PES6 version you have and WE10? Or is it the exact same with no improvements as I suspect probably. :|

A little confused regarding the R2 sidestep, can you confirm that it is gone and it's now executed automatically when you press a 90 degree angle? I'm confused because PES5, the version you love, doesn't have the R2 sidestep while WE10 does.

Cheers, and thanks again Riot.

You can do the sidestep in PES5 without R2, by just quickly tapping down or up, but you can still do it with R2 too.

You cant do it at all in PES6 and I'm really missing it, I've looked at the instructions/control set up and there's no mention of it anymore. So basically all dribbles are automatic sort of with the d-pad.

I have to say after playing all day, this game is GOOD. Hardly any goalie blunders and some nice CPU goals on four stars against my Real Madrid. I'm really feeling this over WE10, the game feels very, very good after my initial doubts.

I've played a bit of League and the Spanish league has the Kings Cup officially or rather Copa del Rey, which is cool. Also, the fatigue is nowhere near as messed up as in PES5 where players were dying after two matches. They last a whole lot longer now.

The take your team to the World Championships etc is a bit daft since I selected the World Cup mode, but I could only have four teams in the groups and not ...I think it's six that there are right now in real life WC qualifying?

Yes the WC Challenge mode sucks if you choose a European team, the qualifying groups only have 4 teams each.

Interesting about the sidestep not being available at all.

Still differences between WE10 and PES6? In tearms of gameplay and AI are the Goal Keepers' bug fixed?

Is it more a slower tactical game like WE9 or a faster arcadey one lke WE10? If its more like WE9 i know id love it!

Riot said:
You can do the sidestep in PES5 without R2, by just quickly tapping down or up, but you can still do it with R2 too.

You cant do it at all in PES6 and I'm really missing it, I've looked at the instructions/control set up and there's no mention of it anymore. So basically all dribbles are automatic sort of with the d-pad.

The sidestep performed automaticly in PES5 is one of the things that annoys me the most about the game. You don't see real footballers doing sidesteps all the time. I'ts a good thing konami noticed this cause dribbles should come from having good timing with buttons, not just pushing up and down.

huh! off course you can do the sidestep in PES6. Push R2 and direction as always. That or either they took it out after I played the version at the GC Leipzig. I swear that I saw it in the PC version.

Last edited:
Posts like these make me not want to share information. Criticism is always fine, but stupidity is not. Many of the things you ask, have been asked from Seabass.

Reason I am not talking about stats, because I think it's more important to tell how the gameplay is, not numbers. Yes, Robben has great stats, Theo Walcott has okay stats, Beckham's stats and Litmanen's stats have dropped :( OH NO!

I do like my fave players having good stats of course and I think in the latest game the stats seem pretty good. I dont think anyone really expects them to have superbly accurate stats in crap teams no one plays with. I'd rather have a large scale in the player stats than FIFA's 70-100 ratings. Then again, maybe the latter is more realistic, I dunno.

The answer is simple. And it has been asked from Seabass, from yours truly, but they never really give a good enough answer and I know that it never gets through translation the correct way. Anyway. The buy some of the stats from JFA or what was it called, so a lot of the stats are based on that. A lot of the player stats are also simply based on the matches the team has watched and they base the stats on what they think. This explains why some players who are on fire in a few matches they see, get such high stats. Quinton Fortune anyone ;) So for example, when the scandinavian teams debuted in last year's game, all the player stats were based on a few videotapes of matches Seabass and the team had. That was that. I asked this at E3 this year or last year and the answer is classic japanese. Not very accurate or goes in detail.

Roster updates, I ASKED this in the interview that's been published at Game Informer. Very simple reason and it's a legal matter. Konami cannot do it due to legal problems. They dont have the kind of clout and license EA has which allows them to have very updated teams AND update rosters via online patches.

When I've asked this many times from Seabass (who has NO saying in these matters) and general managers at Konami, their answer is "we are always trying to improve the licenses step by step, we just cannot get them all right away". In other words, Konami is very japanese company and thus conservative....they only have two lawyers working on the license issues and they are not going to buy the FIFA license, because they cannot get it. Simple as that. I know they did a few roster updates a few years ago in Japan, but even that was such a hassle legal-wise, that they have stopped.

Mauras said:
alhough I'm always thankful for these reviews...

...it's funny to see the author say "he won't talk" about rosters and stats :). I'll never understand this weird promiscuity between media and game developters. I can even understand why they won't talk about rosters update (although I don't quite believe the "they are updating them now" thing since if the game is to be really out in the end of october surely it's being massively produced already or they won't meet the deadline) but not talking about stats? Why?

When will someone from the alledgely "gaming magazines" have the balls to ask mr. seabass who the hell are the "experts" that make all those (let me put this nicely) crappy and low quality stats filled with inconsistent valuations of players?

Seabass has been interviews hundreds of times. "gaming magazines" have made cover stories about him and his series loads of times. Yet no one ever had the "big idea" to ask him or konami who are and where do they sit: those magnificient football experts that pick the best engeneered game of soccer and fill it with stats that seemed to be put up by a group of "I know all about soccer" 15 year olds. I wonder why...

Let me wait and dream.

Q: So you won’t have roster updates in this version?

Seabass: No, we’re not cleared for the license issues just yet for this year.

Q: So that’s the reason PES 5 didn’t have any updates because of legal reasons?

Seabass: Yes, that was the main reason. Technically speaking from a programmer’s side this is all possible. We can do it and we want to do it, but we don’t want to get sued by doing it so we have to clear a lot of things first.

Q: Why can EA do it? Is it the FIFA license?

Seabass: Well, EA is still a little ahead in terms of licenses. As you said they have the crown and are the most prestigious and the biggest. As you know from our series we’re trying our best and always expanding.

SPiTFiRE said:
Still differences between WE10 and PES6? In tearms of gameplay and AI are the Goal Keepers' bug fixed?

Not bugs, features :)
Yes, I played 15 League matches on four stars yesterday and I was really happy to find the goalkeepers much improved. Only a few bounces that looked a bit off, but nothing bad. I mean I watched Everton - Liverpool yesterday and remember the save that Howard made that went directly to Gerrard...so stuff like that happens in real life and it happens in the game.

Nowwhere near as bad as WE10, absolutely not. Very happy about that.

Riot said:
Not bugs, features :)
Yes, I played 15 League matches on four stars yesterday and I was really happy to find the goalkeepers much improved. Only a few bounces that looked a bit off, but nothing bad. I mean I watched Everton - Liverpool yesterday and remember the save that Howard made that went directly to Gerrard...so stuff like that happens in real life and it happens in the game.

Nowwhere near as bad as WE10, absolutely not. Very happy about that.

Thank goodness!

Also about the keepers, do they come racing out of the goal like mad men still? In WE10 they used to sprint out at you and it was so easy to run past them. Hope thats changed.

How about the pace of PES6, any faster than WE10? I always find the European versions to be quicker.

Having studied Japanese (long time ago) and having lived in Tokyo for a year, i know that japanese people (including game developers and PR's people) have a totally different view on things than the predominant western view of things. quite a lot of people here simply are blind to the fact that PES/WE basically is a Japanese game taht is developed, promoted and marketed by Japanese people.

Riot's explanation that Seabass' team use videos and the latest world cup to make the stats is very plausible. Stats no matter how thorough studied are always a litle bit random and subjective. I'm a big admirer of PLF but i think that even he himself will recognize that there is always a subjective element in giving stats. And even the great PLF can't do all leagues...

Every year when there is a new PES/WE version the same questions or rants reappear: the rosters, the licenses, the haircuts....every year people give explanations about the reason why things can't be done...every year there are pople who come with absurd explanations like "Konami are lazy"...

Thanks for all the information Riot...since a couple of years i always wait for your comments on the new PES version and i'm very thankfull that you bother to join your information with us.

Back
Top Bottom