Heavy Rain - PS3

YoungGun_UK

20 TIMES!
12 July 2007
UK
Manchester United
Thought this game deserves its own thread :))

World Exclusive Heavy Rain review awards 9/10 | The Lost Gamer
It was with joy that I saw my subscription copy of Official Playstation Magazine UK arrive in the post this morning. This was not only due to the fact that I was hoping to find more information on the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII from Square Enix, but more for the fact that I knew that the latest issue would offer the World Exclusive review for Quantic Dreams’ Playstation 3 exclusive, Heavy Rain.

Reviewed by Editor-in-chief, Tim Clark, it was his opening sentence that easily confirmed to me that this was another overtly ambitious title that wasn’t going to fall anywhere short of the high expectation surrounding it; “Having played and replayed Heavy Rain, I’m convinced it’s one of the freshest, most exciting, and even important games on PS3 so far,” before going on to state that “[he is]also convinced that a lot of people are going to hate it. Or simply be baffled by the fact that you spend quite a bit of time sitting around being sad.”

There is also plenty of praise for the control scheme, in which “Every action you perform in the game requires a corresponding button press, stick movement, or Sixaxis shake, from a simple tap of up [on the control stick] to swig juice from the fridge, to a sudden jerk down on the pad to kick a door in, or carefully rotating the right stick to apply a bandage.”

Such use continus to diversify as the controls actively represent the difficulty of what the character is trying to achieve; “If it’s something phyiscally demanding – say, trying to clamber up a muddy hillside – you might have to hold serveral buttons at once, effectively playing finger Twister.” Alongside this, other sections will task you with performing actions as you race against the clock to get out of a situation. The developer’s interactive design ideas are to be commended, with Clark concluding “What shouldn’t be understated is how inventive Quantic Dream has been with the controls.”

The story’s pacing is also key and is perfectly designed to create an “exhausting, exhilarating, and, curcially, involving” experience. Player’s will also encounter “innovative twists on its core forumula right until the credits roll,” and the review continues to describe various elements and encounters within the title.

In conclusion, Clark writes “Certainly there’s nothing quite like it on PS3, or indeed any other system. Put gaming conventions aside, go in with no expectations other than this is something new and massively good-looking, and you’ll be rewarded with a unique experience that lurches between genius and madness, manages to be genuinely emotional, and that you’ll be bursting to talk about with your friends.”

The title is awarded a coveted Gold Star, and an incredibly respectable 9/10. For those in the UK, remember that you can pre-order the HMV Exclusive Heavy Rain Collector’s Edition for £39.99.

The February 2010 issue of the Official Playstation Magazine UK, issue 41, will go on sale tomorrow. Within its glossy pages you can catch their full reviews on Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII and Army of Two: 40th Day amongst others, as well as features on Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Final Fantasy XIII and the titles set to make 2010 a successful year for Playstation 3 owners.

Why Heavy Rain is a 9/10 game
Official PlayStation Magazine UK editor Tim Clark tells us what makes Heavy Rain so unique
Words: GamesRadar UK

This month Official PlayStation magazine has the exclusive review of Sony's first exclusive of 2010: Heavy Rain. Subscribers copies are now in the wild so we can reveal the magazine has scored the game a stellar 9/10 and given it a coveted gold award.

With this in mind, we wandered over to OPM UK's office for a quick chat with the author of the review, Tim Clark (Editor-in-chief) to find out what led to his verdict on the game, in advance of our own review next month.
OPM41_cover--article_image.jpg

So, Tim, tell us about your review, why does Heavy Rain deserve a 9/10?

"Well, primarily I scored it high because I think it's really good. More specifically it's a tremendously exciting experience and exactly the kind of thing people who moan about there being too many shooters and sequels have been crying out for.

"It's also an amazing piece of technical craft. Visually it's right up there with Uncharted 2, and the stuff they do with the control system is incredibly bold. Far from being just a series of linked QTEs, it constantly toys with what you expect from it, regularly introducing new twists on the core mechanic, and is just incredibly exciting to play through. Can you tell I liked it?"

In the review you made a point of saying it would turn off as many people as it will turn on others - what is it about Heavy Rain that will divide gamers?

"Well, I think the people who may not get it are the ones who aren't willing to put aside the conventions they've built up from years spent playing traditional genres. As I said in the review, Heavy Rain isn't about grinding XP or hoovering up collectibles. It's about getting sucked into this genuinely intriguing noirish story, and the thrill of knowing your actions and decisions are making that story jag in different directions. That said, there are times when it's slow - deliberately so, for atmosphere and pacing's sake - which may annoy the kind of gamer who's perpetually in a rush."

Heavy_Rain_in_article2--article_image.jpg

This is very much a 'Sony game' isn't it...

"I think it is, yes. Sony has a track record for backing riskier, innovative projects from Ico through to LittleBigPlanet. We speak to people like Michael Denny and Shuhei Yoshida who run Worldwide Studios and they have a very clear sense of wanting to create a portfolio of exclusives on PS3 that runs from big blockbusters like God Of War III and Gran Turismo 5 through to more artsy stuff like Heavy Rain. Which isn't to say it doesn't matter if Heavy Rain makes money - everyone concerned wants it to be a hit, and I think it will be.

"The fact it doesn't use any assumptions from other games (in the sense of its control system, particularly - all you need to know is up there on the screen) I think makes it quite casual-friendly, particularly as the modern, real-world crime setting will feel very familiar to everyone. I'd love to see it really breakout and reach people who like watching thriller movies."

How much replayability are we going to get out of it?

"Well as soon as I finished my first playthrough I wanted to jump back and try doing things differently, so there's absolutely replay value there, although clearly once you've seen the big story twists, the 'what happens next?' motivation will be gone. And some scenes (you can pick and choose once you've completed it once) clearly have more replayability than others in terms of being able to affect their outcome.

"I didn't much want to replay the scene in which you cook scrambled eggs for a bereaved mother, but the big action beats - car chases, fights, a shootout - are really fun to experiment with to see what else can happen."

Heavy_Rain_in_article--article_image.jpg

What about the sex and nudity - how did that work?

"Well for me it opens the whole debate up again, in a good way. Whatever Quantic Dream might say, the sex/nudity is absolutely designed to titillate - and I have no problem with that. When Halle Berry takes her top off in Swordfish, that's designed to titillate too.

"I think that it's about time the games industry worked out how it's going to portray sex. Why shouldn't it be a part of story-driven games aimed at an adult audience? The actual sex scene in Heavy Rain, which dips to black before it gets too sweaty, was a rare moment of the animation looking a bit clumsy.

"More interesting is the first Madison scene, where her vulnerability and your voyeurism as the player is underlined when things get a bit nasty. I expect it to be discussed a fair bit when the game comes out.

"Fundamentally though, Heavy Rain is a game of ideas that will excite players and get them talking about what they want from the medium. That's got to be a good thing. And in case that all sounds a bit wanky, I'll just repeat that it was tremendous fun to play from start to finish. "

To read the review in full be sure to get your copy of Official PlayStation Magazine UK when it hits news stands on 19 January 2010.

Look out for a GamesRadar Heavy Rain Super Review next month.

Jan 19, 2010

REALLY looking forward to this game coming out. Linear or not :)

Uncharted 2 is extremely linear and that's not too bad a game ;)

The game will be really great, specially for old days players, like me. Always loved old adventure games with very little action and where you have to solve puzzles or make different kinds of things to continue the story.

Day one purchase for me too. I get paid on the Friday so I'm off to Asda to pick up my copy. I LOVED Fahrenheit and this looks very similar, albeit more serious. Can't wait :D

It was good but horribly linear, hence my comment above.

I don't think this is a linear as the first - they were talking about how you can drive the story in different directions and even end up killing your character off and ending that storyline and affecting the others. Like in the hold up scene, you can approach the guy with the gun however you want, or you can just hide and let the game roll along.
And they had a few different clips showing what happens if you try and take the guy out from behind... The guy playing screwed up on one play and knocked something over missing the quick time event to react to catch the object. Which then set the story off with the guy threatening you asking why you were coming up behind him with a bottle in your hand (which I assume would change depending on what you picked up).

I think that everyone will end up playing through and finishing with different stories and experiences to tell.

It was good but horribly linear, hence my comment above.

Uncharted 2 was practically on rails it was so linear yet it's widely recognised as being the best game on the PS3... I happen to think Assasins Creed 2 is the PS3's finest game to date but that's just an opinion.

Hard Rain is looking very good and I'm definately going to purchase this...

Demo is coming Feb 11 so we'll see what it plays like then. I always expected the demo to be the taxidermist scene because they said they built that separately to avoid giving away any full game spoilers but it turns out they're adding to that scene and making it part of the DLC now.

Last edited:
Cant someone just download it and share their account? Would make life much easier.

I know. Its taking the piss. You can log on to that Precinct website but then it just doesn't load.

Back
Top Bottom