Henry has signed for Barca

Henry confirms Barca move

Barcelona-bound Thierry Henry has spoken of his reasons for quitting Arsenal for the Camp Nou - and one of them is that he could not face life at Emirates Stadium without manager Arsene Wenger.

The French striker - who is set to move to the Spanish giants in a deal reported to be worth £16million on a four-year contract - told fans in an open letter published in the Sun his reasons for moving on.

Henry admitted the departure of David Dein and the continuing uncertainty regarding Wenger's future were the main reasons for his decision to leave.

"Arsene has been part of my life for as long as I can remember," wrote Henry.

"Unfortunately and understandably he has said that at this moment he will not commit to the club past the expiration of his current deal which finishes at the end of the coming season.

"I respect his decision and his honesty but I will be 31 at the end of next season and I cannot take the chance to be there without Arsene Wenger and David Dein.

"This is solely my decision, no-one has forced me to do anything and I will represent myself in this transaction. I feel it is something I just had to do."

The former Monaco man is looking forward to the challenge of playing for Barcelona.

"Barcelona are a wonderful club steeped in tradition and play beautiful football. I'm sure I will be very happy there," continued Henry.

"But I will miss the Arsenal fans dearly, they have supported me through thick and thin.

"They will always be in my heart, as will all the fans who make the game here so special. I will always have a special bond with Arsenal Football Club."

The Frenchman is expected to undergo a medical next Monday before signing a four-year deal at the Spanish giants.

"I still must pass a medical on Monday but yes, I have chosen Barcelona," Henry told French sports daily L'Equipe.

"I will sign there for the next four seasons.

"Nothing has been signed yet but both sides reached an agreement on Friday."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=473435&CPID=952&clid=4399&lid=4161&title=Henry:+Why+I'm+off+to+Barcelona

Last edited:
It's sad to see him leave the Premiership, but he had to go, the time was right for him.

I too am looking forward to Giovanni dos Santos breaking into the first team (eventually) at Barcelona, but I was hoping I'd someday get to watch Carlos Vela play with Henry at Arsenal...

dos santos is gonna be big next season!

Wow, why is nobody here even debating the pitiful sum of £16M? Hell, Man Utd spent more on Nani. This just makes the Shevchenko transfer all the more laughable when you see the best striker in the world sold for 16 freaking million.

I suppose since Arsene keeps stealing young talent from Barca for free, he felt compelled to give them a bit of a discount. I just can't believe how Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy were sold for a total £26M when either one could've merited the sum by himself. Ruud is the single reason Real won that title this season. Nobody even comes close to his contribution. Henry just made next season's Liga a lot less exciting though. Barca - 101 points, Real - 92 points, next team - somewhere in the 60s. :)

What makes me laugh is that Darren Bent is apparently worth more than Henry

to me it looks like barça are going to sell Deco and let ronaldinho play in the AMF spot while henry settles as a SS in ronnie's place.

Barca are going to be incredible next year then, they're definately going to be the team to watch. Beautiful football all around.

Arsenal are definately going to struggle next year, though it might just be an oppertunity for Theo to prove what he can do, and I would definately want to see that

to me it looks like barça are going to sell Deco and let ronaldinho play in the AMF spot while henry settles as a SS in ronnie's place.

Yep.

They have tried that already this season.

Also you have to think that Henry knows that Wenger may go this season or next year.

I aint a Arsenal fan but you can tell Henry loves the club

Looks good on paper but will it work? Shevchenko and Ballack looked good last season and look what happened.

The dufference is:

1) Barca have been trying that formation last season

2) Ballack & Shevchenko just did not fit in the 433 which is what made Chelseas successful. Henry can just slot either on left or right. Even down the middle

now that it's semi-official (still pending medical and personal terms i've heard)

let's guess what the line-up will be for the attack-FULL Barcelona....
-------------V.Valdes------------
--------Puyol*-----Thuram--------
Belletti----------------Zambrotta
---------------Xavi--------------
---------Deco--------------------
-------------Ronaldinho----------
----Messi--------------Henry-----
-------------Eto'o---------------

and since Puyol is injured, Marquez will be at that spot for now....or Deco can be at bench for Xavi to be in the CMF position and Marquez in the DMF position when Puyol is fine...but i personally like Deco quite a bit!

--------------Valdes-------------
----Thuram---Puyol---Marquez-----
---------Xavi(DMF)---------------
---------------Deco(CMF)---------
--------Iniesta(CMF)-------------
------------Ronaldinho(AMF)------
------------------Henry(SS)------
--Messi(RWF)---------------------
----------Eto'o(CF)--------------

Not enough width in that.

--------------Valdes-------------
----Thuram---Puyol---Marquez-----
---------------Xavi(DMF)---------
---------Deco(CMF)---------------
Ronaldinho(SMF)-------Iniesta(SMF)
------------------Henry(SS)------
--Messi(RWF)---------------------
----------Eto'o(CF)--------------

I believes they'll probably sign a pair of deffensive players, maybe Eric Abidal and Yaya Touré, and be rumours about Deco will leave. If was truth, I think could be:

Code:
--------------- Valdés ------------
Zambrotta - Thuram - Puyol - Abidal
----------- Touré -- Xavi ---------
---- Messi ----------- Ronaldinho -
---------- Eto'o -- Henry ---------

I hope they sign dani alves from sevilla, eheh... abidal and tourè would be great too... btw, which team is yaya playing in atm? I don't think leaving iniesta out will be a good idea though, he is sooooooo good.

Last edited:
BARÇA 2007-2008

Code:
--------------- Valdés ------------
Zambrotta - Chivu - Puyol - Abidal
------------Toure---------------
-----------------Deco-----------
Messi-----------------Ronaldinho
--------Eto'o----Henry----------
[/QUOTE]

The best is that, last year Barça did the big offer, and Arsenal did all to keep him in contract.

One year later, they're signing him for really less money than the previous offer.

Take Cesc Fabregas out of the team and you have one mediocre side next season . I hope they do well in the champions league as one things for sure , they wont qualify for the next one !!!

Henry likes taking up the wide left role anyway in games so 3 up front would work great

messi right eto'o middle and henry left, leaving dino in the hole to work his magic

everybody should tkanks mister arsenal president!!!:applause:

the best thing he as never done, with dein, wenger and now henry.... sic

Henry in Barcelona
74876706vk9.jpg

says no to Barca and finally go to San Antonio
74633048fe1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom