High through ball - Finally!!!!!

drekkard

International
23 March 2005
Barcelona
Barça, Arsenal, Ajax
I think I guess how to properly perform chipped through balls. But first... a little rant! :mrgreen:

This game penalises building play. I'm in the point of abbandon even human vs. human. The thing is you can't be accurate when passing. One of every 4 passes is wrong in direction, so it's impossible to attack properly by doing passes. I could do brilliant plays in WE8LE that are just impossible because of the unresponsiveness of the players and the inacuracy of pass direction. The game benefits those simply punting the ball forward. Take Juve, do a :l1: + :circle: from any place in the pitch and zlatan or trezeguet receive upwards and able to do a 1 vs 1 against your defender.

Besides, there are some teams that magically score 1 out of every 2 corners. Your defenders just don't move and the striker heads completely alone 1 meter away from the keeper. My friend said it's him that is skilled at it. Big joke. When I play Juve against my friends, I tend to score 1 or 2 corners in every match. Things are pretty unbalanced.

----- End of the rant.

And now, to something completely different. Do you want to perform good high through balls?

Then press and HOLD :l1: for a second and after, without letting go :l1: , press :triangle: . Voilà! There's your high through ball chipped. I'm not assuring you are left alone against the keeper. It's bloody difficult. The only thing is that it's practically impossible to do against CPU because of the second you need to be alone to prepare the pass. But against human players I've managed to do some of them.

CU!

Last edited:
lol.

That L1 and triangle trick was available in PES4. Go back and play it, you'll see. Its actually easier in PES4 to do. Timing is the key. Wait on the scanner for your FAST and AGILE striker (aka Owen, Ronaldo, Henry) to be level with the CPU defender then press it. Will go over everytime in PES4 and almost always score or control for a shot.

Its not as effective in PES5, but possible.

You don't understand it, man. :roll:

If you do what I say, you won't be doing those excessively long through balls. You will do a chipped one then.

Maybe you're not good enough to understand it. The longer you press :l1: before :triangle: , more chip to the ball is added.

It's something I was expecting to learn weeks ago.

StewieGriffin said:
Errr this is known for years...

wtf! The complaints thread has been full of it for weeks. Read CAREFULLY what I say!!!!

I know this pass is there since previous installments, I've scored thousands of goals in pes4, we8le and we8i with that. I'm talking about HOW YOU CAN DO IT HIGHER AND NEARER in WE9.

Is there someone with some real background in WE9 reading this?

It's actually the longer you press :triangle: the more power the chipped through ball will have. But this has been there for a while now lol :roll:

Drekkard I get what you're saying but not sure your way works, I'll let you know when I play some lol its been two weeks now without playing.

What you're saying is how we all have a problem with :l1: + :triangle: being TOO far this time around in WE9 and too hard and too little chipped. Yes it's a known problem, i'm not mad about it because it should be a lot harder like it is right now and not like previous versions but you are right and so are those people in Complaints thread that MOST of the time, the chipped throughball in WE9 is put FAR too ahead meaning the goalie will come and catch it or it's too ahead so from whta I understand you're saying if you hold it longer, it will make it more LOFTY/chippy so then it's not put as far ahead, I'll give it a try but technically it would make sense if the MORE you hold it, the MORE forward it's put but i wont dismiss your comments until I try ;)

take care

Thanks PLF, good to see someone understood my poor english then.

Try to hold L1 a lot before pressing the triangle. It's working for me and I've managed to do things I couldn't do before. I hope you work it out too, though it's hard to manage, and I'm glad it is.

Look, holding L1 for long or not wont change anything, yes you get more accuracy and all, but still, high through passes are still way to far no matter how long you hold L1

XXX2 said:
Look, holding L1 for long or not wont change anything, yes you get more accuracy and all, but still, high through passes are still way to far no matter how long you hold L1

In trainig I wasn't able to perform it, yet against CPU I did a cuple every match and against humans, the percentage is higher. I don't know why. I'm not saying it performs a perfect chip like in PES4, only that for me, holding L1 a lot (about 2 complete step cycles of the player) results in a chipped through ball, different in trajectory to simply press altogether L1+ triangle. But it's not the perfect pin-point passing of PES4.

drekkard said:
In trainig I wasn't able to perform it, yet against CPU I did a cuple every match and against humans, the percentage is higher. I don't know why. I'm not saying it performs a perfect chip like in PES4, only that for me, holding L1 a lot (about 2 complete step cycles of the player) results in a chipped through ball, different in trajectory to simply press altogether L1+ triangle. But it's not the perfect pin-point passing of PES4.
Ok mate I understand you fully now and must say you've got very good english ;)

Hey listen even if this doesn't work, thanks for sharing it anyways because it COULD possibly work since the player isn't just chipping a throughball when sprinting and can do it with better accuracy/trajectory when he's controlling it well (which is what :l1: basically does).

So dont worry man, I for one am glad to have heard this and will give it a try soon. It surely makes sense that a player is able to put a better more perfect chip through ball when he has close control of it rather than when he's running fast but it doesn't make sense why this would work against humans more than CPU.

either way i'm out for now.

take care

Headup said:
haha... oldest trick in the book. this thread should be closed.

Try reading the post CAREFULLY...
We all know that L1 + /\ is a chipped throughball... BUT the post is about the LENGTH OF TIME YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE L1....

I hope this works... must try it tonight!

I think this will work as if you get chance to stop your player before playing a chipped through ball, the accuracy is also better so holding L1 for a bit longer before tapping triangle could have the same effect. Makes sense as PLF said.

I never knew people could be so moronic, I mean he is telling us how to make the through balls in WE9 more accurate yet you idiots can't even read and decide to act like a bunch of 9 year old kids?

We don't really give a toss if it is old, fatc is I never knew about it.

My experience with L1 and /\ that it still works OK in We9, but you have to do it earlier than usual. Also, I noticed it is more effient when done diagonaly (to the side of the feild), this lower the probability of the goalie getting the ball.

I think just like other regular passes in WE9, sometimes it looks completely distorted and WAY OFF. But this is the case with all passes in WE9, not only the chipped one.

why are there people on this forum who think they know everything about this game.

There are always gonna be loads of little new tricks and ways of doing things people will be finding out and sharing...

back to this chipped through ball...Do i have to be running, walking or standing still while I do this??

kingpug said:
I never knew people could be so moronic, I mean he is telling us how to make the through balls in WE9 more accurate yet you idiots can't even read and decide to act like a bunch of 9 year old kids?

We don't really give a toss if it is old, fatc is I never knew about it.

Well this thread does teach us something. Some peoples ability to read just isn't that good, makes you wonder how they manage to spend time on a forum at all really....

Drekkard I think you're on the right track by the way, but I think its just a matter of the players control of the ball and who the player is as well. I've found that with people like Zidane, Nedved, Figo etc... that you can perform nicely lofted through balls even when they're running normally without having to hold anything, but lesser players always do send them either too low, too long, or even both. I think holding L1 would help in their control and then delivery of the ball. Also if you get time I'd imagine that having your player stop altogether using R2 and then pllaying the ball may also increase the chances of success.

Time for some experimentation. :)

I tried it a bit and I don't see a big difference. I agree with Dar, most important for a good high through ball is a skilled player and good ball control which you will probably have if you had enough time to hold down L1 for a second. I agree the waiting is an important factor, but I'm not sure if you actually have to hold down L1.

What I understood from his post is that he thinks the weight of the pass is determined by the length of time he holds L1, but it works in the same way as the recently added feature of holding x for a longer ground pass. Holding :triangle: for longer will give you more weight on the through ball, I use this alot to miss players out when playing through balls around the edge of the area. But holding L1 for longer has no affect on the weight of pass for me personally.

mattster12 said:
What I understood from his post is that he thinks the weight of the pass is determined by the length of time he holds L1, but it works in the same way as the recently added feature of holding x for a longer ground pass. Holding :triangle: for longer will give you more weight on the through ball, I use this alot to miss players out when playing through balls around the edge of the area. But holding L1 for longer has no affect on the weight of pass for me personally.
Yeah but I think he's talking about something different than you.

From what I understand from his post he's saying that Konami as we all know have made WE9 chipped throughballs most of the time either TOO ahead or not enough LOFTY and overall not what you want out of a throughabll because it's imperfect (is this a word? ;) )in some way. But he's saying that Konami have made it now in a way where if you have tight control of the ball with :l1: instead of either sprinting or running normal speed, they can put this throughball MORE perfectly whether it's LESS ahead or MORE lofty.

And like I said if Konami have added this it makes sense and what Dar said makes sense as well, I can personally look around pick out a good runner with good visioin when i'm barely running with the ball (L1 in the game ;) ) than when i'm sprinting with it or running at normal speed so IF this works it makes sense to me.

But you have to remember that at the end of the day, some of your passes whether you're doing it with Zidane and :l1: before releasing it or not WILL sometimes go stray or be useless like all your other passes with X that CPU has made to manually go wrong like OBserver said.

And I actually like this because in real life even the world's best players get many passes wrong and can't put a perfect throughball everytime they attempt but previously since their stats is goood, they would deliver each single time almost when we know it's not like that in real life and even Mr. Zidane tries 3 throughball attempts only for one to be successful so I actually like the fact that sometimes without me doing ANYthing wrong or being at faultk, I can lose posession :) because my passes with either X or :triangle: or chipped throughball go to opposition or out for a throw-in becuase this is also like real life. You don't always make bad decisions or bad passes but still lose posession due to it not being perfect or someone intercepting or whatever.

I found greater difference in holding or not :l1: when being in opposition field and trying to reach my striker straight. I'm not saying it's 100% efficient, but against human players (and that's really strange cause in training it never works to me) I have done several very chipped passes that never work if I don't hold :l1: about a second before pressing :triangle: .

It could also be that having to hold L1 makes my player control better the ball. If you try it, please share your thoughts.

And I agree comopletely with those talking about the skills of the player and so, that's fundamental. Maybe you find the difference it's subtle or not, but it works better for me that way.

Some may suffer from oral diarrhoea, but the worst are those who can't even spell their insults properly.

Back
Top Bottom