Home Away Concepts in FIFA World Cup

ranabir

Football Shootball
4 September 2006
India
Chelsea FC,AC Milan
Hi Guys,

I need an information. How does a team gets a Home/Away Kit in FIFA World Cup? Club level home away matches can be justified as they literally play on home/away grounds and thereby using kits.

But except RSA, all are away teams, then what basis Uruguay got Home and France got Away kits?

Does anyone have any idea about this?
Searched the rulebook but couldn't find any such information.

Best Regards.

every team twice home, and once away... uruguay nad france was confusing match, light blue vs white... not good combination... white and blue would be better but we're not in charge :)

it cant be every team once away and twice home, thats impossible since youd end up with too many home teams to play against too few away teams. just check the schedule for group A for example:
RSA - Mexico
Uruguay - France
RSA - Uruguay
France - Mexico
Mexico - Uruguay
France - RSA

France 2 Home 1 Away
RSA 2 Home 1 Away
Uruguay 1 Home 2 Away
Mexico 1 Home 2 Away

I think its just got to do with how the teams were chosen in the draw and each slot in each group already had a predetermined amount of home and away games.

There has to be some rule which we are missing.
This is the schedule.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html
All teams on the left side of the schedule will take home kit. I have checked also the qualifying round standings. Its not the case that a team which is top from the qualifier round will get more number of home matches.
Eg. France wasn't topping Group 7 in qualifier, but it got two home matches.
Need to wait until some one cracks this.

Half the teams get twice home and once away, half the other way.

No team will ever play 3 home or 3 away matches.

The host will play 2 "home" matches.

It's been like this ever since i started watching. The "home/away" billing is honorary. One of the teams MUST be billed first. Thus it's considered "home" and they have first pick on the kit. Should it clash with the other team's home the other team must play in their alternative kit.

As for Mexico black... Kits are developed by kitmakers in the colours the federation orders. The federation approves them and then submits fifa the proposal. Fifa then approves the kits or not, depending solely on some criteria they must meet, among which "the home and away kits of one team must not clash". So if one desn't like the kit colour they need to point fingers at the national federation :P

I looked and it checks out:

there are certain rules to the home-away.

When the group stage is drawn each group will contain a team from pot 1, one from pot2, pot3, pot4.

The best team in the group (pot1) will always play the first two games billed as "home" and the third as "away" [this also confirms my "hosts play 2 home 1 away" observation as hosts are ALWAYS considered pot1]

the second best [pot2] plays the first game as away to pot4, second home against pot3 and third home against pot1.

That's why on the last day the games are between the best teams in the group: "Chile vs Spain", "Portugal vs Brazil", "Ghana vs. Germany" and so on. [best FIFA-ranked, if you will]

Full group schedule:

day 1: pot1 vs. pot3, pot4 vs. pot2
day 2: pot1 vs. pot4, pot2 vs. pot3
day 3: pot2 vs. pot1, pot3 vs. pot4

So the best-ranked two teams have the benefit of playing at least two games in their home kit AND playing each other on the final day... thus maybe settling for a favourable result to suit them both.

Last edited:
Excellent m7m_teddy!!!! This makes sense!!!! Loads of thanks!

Back
Top Bottom