Horizon Series - Forbidden West [PS5/PS4] Out Now

Open world games are in need of some new ideas. Walking to a thing and pressing a button to pick it up gets tiring after you do it 12000 times. I was hoping that The Forbidden West had maybe toned down on scrounging for resources for everything but judging by the videos it seems similar to Zero Dawn. At least Ghost of Tsushima allows you to grab things without dismounting your horse. That's one problem with Zero Dawn, I never really used mounts because I have to get almost everything I see for resources! So I would ride 20 feet and then have to get off to collect stuff.

Open world games are in need of some new ideas. Walking to a thing and pressing a button to pick it up gets tiring after you do it 12000 times. I was hoping that The Forbidden West had maybe toned down on scrounging for resources for everything but judging by the videos it seems similar to Zero Dawn. At least Ghost of Tsushima allows you to grab things without dismounting your horse. That's one problem with Zero Dawn, I never really used mounts because I have to get almost everything I see for resources! So I would ride 20 feet and then have to get off to collect stuff.
Devs know that most gamers have an OCD with loot and gathering items/resources. That said, every single game is filled with these boring and time consuming tasks. I'm not saying to abandon altogether this design but there are ways to make it more creative.

There was a time in Zero Dawn that I had such a ridiculous amount of ridge-wood that I just stopped picking it up. I was sure I had enough of that stuff to last Aloy a lifetime. But then, a good while later, I was crafting a pouch or somthing and needed 200 ridge-wood. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK
I mean, I could buy what I needed then from a merchant for only a few metal shards, but still, I started picking that shit up again :Y1

About 20 hours into Forbidden West and there has just been a MASSIVE exposition dump. It mostly establishes two things: The basic structure of the rest of the game, which is quite video-gamey: "Do these three things and then you can do this last thing" but the second thing is the plot is going some pretty wild places. I'm really excited to see what else happens, although it's surely going to take me an absolute age to find out.

Back
Top Bottom