How KONAMI chooses the club teams...

chronis

Non-League
8 April 2003
Greece--Peireaus
I wonder how KONAMI chooses which club teams will place into the game...
The reason i wonder this is cause KONAMI placed last year AEK Athens in PES4 and remove it in WE9.

With a quick glance in "UEFA Team Ranking 2005" http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2005.html you can see the following teams that exist in WE9 with their ranking:

Position (points)
39 - Anderlecht (47.476)
40 - Olympiakos Piraeus (46.714)
80 - Shakhtar Donetsk (28.199)
45 - Sparta Praha (43.223)
51 - Dinamo Kiev (40.200)
94 - Fenerbahçe (23.872)
55 - Besiktas Tur (37.872)
57 - Benfica Por (36.739)
48 - Glasgow Rangers (40.476)
54 - Lokomotiv Moscow (38.469)

And AEK Athens is in the 38th position with (47.714)...

If KONAMI doesnt care about the Official rankings of UEFA.... what about they care???

It is poor that they are so disinterested in the teams and achieving a realistic environment outside of the game engine, that when they decide to include a new team they simply replace an older one rather than put some effort into it and re-structure their setup. I'd call them lazy, but it's clear the effort is being put into the engine, it'd just be nice if they realised putting some of that effort into league structure/management options would multiply the overall depth of the game.

Although not ideal, fortunately you can solve your problem by replacing WE or PES United with AEK Athens.

I think its just the teams that players WANT, not by ranking, no point if there are less fans but a better team.

and it doesnt seem like they have updated the overall team stats for each team either.
In WE9 I was expecting Evertons stats to have increased alot since we finished 4th in the Premier league (and are the best team on Merseyside) but its still quite poor, bloody relgation fodder Fulhams is higher too!

Peat has a point... and even if he hasn't, why do you often have to be so patronizing, condescending Chris??? This is a thread about the way Konami chooses and valuates clubs, not a fan thread...

When playing the ML, you always encounter the same clubs in ML too: i don't know how much times i've played against Villa...

Other underrated teams: Bolton, Lille, Barcelona, Lyon...
Overrated imho: Inter Milan (we all know why, Seabass is a fan and i can understand him), Real Madrid.

About the choice of the clubs: well there will always be much people disappointed as long as Konami doesn't have more clubs in it. Personally i would like to have more Belgian clubs in it, but lets be honest: who's waiting for them outside Belgium...

CSKA Moscow should have been in this....I hope when WE/PES is out for the next generation of consoles we'll see maybe a full European Champions League tournament(qualifiers etc.) so we'd have decent teams liek FC Basle in there aswell..

I think you are all forgetting one key element here.

The version is soley designed for Japanese gamers and how many of them want to play as AEK? I dont konami are overly bothered in that department thats why they include and drop teams at will.

so thats the problem. And then of course it gets ported over for European release.

maybe in the next gen you'll see a whole host of clubs.

the main thing is I can't see a reason for why they don't put in more teams, both National and Club teams... they have the space for it...

can't they just skip parts of the training, and memorial match or whatever that is not important and put in some more teams...

i would like to see at least 100 National teams (the top 100 of course)

and much more club teams... i mean c'mon, Sensible Soccer had every team in the world (almost) 10 years ago... even the Icelandic league...

well, just my 5 cents...

Simply because konami are greedy, they bring out 4 games with not much of a difference, why not just bring out PES for every country and just have Japanese text?..why WE, WE:LE, WE:I and PES?

People say EA are all about money, well konami are 100x worse, just remember FIFA has a ton more licensed teams thanh konami, atleast EA give the fans what they want, proper teams, obviously konami only care about making money hence the 4 titles when all you need is one.

4 new licensed teams and 2 new countries?..I take it each license costs around 50 million pounds?

kingpug said:
Simply because konami are greedy, they bring out 4 games with not much of a difference, why not just bring out PES for every country and just have Japanese text?..why WE, WE:LE, WE:I and PES?

People say EA are all about money, well konami are 100x worse, just remember FIFA has a ton more licensed teams thanh konami, atleast EA give the fans what they want, proper teams, obviously konami only care about making money hence the 4 titles when all you need is one.

4 new licensed teams and 2 new countries?..I take it each license costs around 50 million pounds?
Disagree completely.

Ok so they have different names in different parts of the world, that's called marketing, not greediness. Another example of this is in Japan 'Resident Evil' is called 'Biohazard'. Don't ask for reasons why the names are different, I suspect it's to do with culture but regardless it still has nothing to do with money.

Talking about EA, well I fail to see how they are giving the fans what they want when their game is poor every year. Yes they have licenses, but that's because the size of company they are enables them to pay for these licenses - I remember at one point last year EA were considering buying out another large developer, might have been UbiSoft but I can't be sure. As far as I'm aware Konami don't have nearly the financial muscle EA do, and at the end of day that is why EA can afford these licenses. EA are all about making money, and so are Konami, but I'd rather pay for a product that continually improves with each iteration than for one which remains stagnant and relies on marketing to do it's talking.

Who knows, maybe AEK will return for PES5. I doubt it though seeing as they've become drastically worse than when they were in the CL 3 seasons ago.
There's already confirmation that there will be more club teams in PES5 than there is in WE9.

Rosenborg
FC Copenhagen
An unannounced Swedish team.

Perhaps more. Oh, and some team called Celtic will be licensed. I've never heard of them before either.

j4y3m said:
I think they pick the teams by what they have done recently in europe, AEK have done nothing outside of Greece.
i agree with you. but it musnt so hard to add more teams with realistic stats. Turkish footballers underrated. :(

Once again i agree with ClassicD...
As much as i would like more teams in PES and a more customizable ML, these things are far from essential...what kingpug is implying is that Konami should listen to the buyers...i'm not sure if i agree. For years we've heard rants for visible referees. Now they are in the game, why???? I can't see the point. neither can i see the point of boots, balls, haircuts and other things people want.
Somewhere on this forum there is a quite recent thread about the changes people want to see in the next-gen version of PES...almost all those suggestions are cosmetic ones: coaches, 3-d public, streakers (sic!!!!),...
Enjoying PES for me is about gameplay...
In another thread i'm reading that WE9 (and PES5???) has taken another big step towards the real football feel in terms of gameplay...
That fact that Seabass, his team and the company for which they work may seem odd, stubborn, greedy has all to do with cultural differences.
I consider myself quite cosmopolitic. I speak 6 languages. I lived for more than a year in China and i could easily adapt. I have lived 6 months in in Japan and i felt like an alien...the cultural differences with Japanese people are huge...even the difference between the Chines mentality and the Japanes are enormous.
Basically we western people are extremely individualistic (even those who consider themselves very social minded). Japanese people are afraid of individualism, all they want to do is blend in the mass society. A term like "herd instinct" has a negative connotation to us...in Japan it is considered a virtue.
As long as their are no people working for Konami who are able to bridge this gap, even the biggest fans will have difficulties with some (minor) aspacts of the game.

ClassicD said:
Disagree completely.

Ok so they have different names in different parts of the world, that's called marketing, not greediness. Another example of this is in Japan 'Resident Evil' is called 'Biohazard'. Don't ask for reasons why the names are different, I suspect it's to do with culture but regardless it still has nothing to do with money.

Talking about EA, well I fail to see how they are giving the fans what they want when their game is poor every year. Yes they have licenses, but that's because the size of company they are enables them to pay for these licenses - I remember at one point last year EA were considering buying out another large developer, might have been UbiSoft but I can't be sure. As far as I'm aware Konami don't have nearly the financial muscle EA do, and at the end of day that is why EA can afford these licenses. EA are all about making money, and so are Konami, but I'd rather pay for a product that continually improves with each iteration than for one which remains stagnant and relies on marketing to do it's talking.
I think Konami have a lot more money than you think, they just don't want to spend it when we'll buy the game anyway...

I read on teletext yesterday that they have licensed England national team and the bundesliga for pes5 though.

Back
Top Bottom