• Total voters

Zygalski

Ninja Samurai
2 February 2003
London, UK
England
Got an interesting response elsewhere so let's see how it goes here:

shiva said:
My friend and I were mulling over a problem earlier, which we disagreed on. I thought that this would be the perfect place to stick a poll up to get a final answer, so here goes.

A man is making his lunch before he goes to work. He gets out two slices of bread, butters them both and sticks a filling in between. He then cuts the thing in half. How many sandwiches are there?

One or Two?

I say there are two smaller sandwiches.

Using analogies such as cutting pizza, babies, cars and money does not apply here, the topic is sandwiches.

Originally from here. Away you go.

No it's definitely one. If you only had one slice of bread and folded it, that's not a proper sandwich, thus you need at least 2 slices to make one sandwich. Cutting it into 16ths wouldn't change that fact.

Yes I did put effort into this.

Dar said:
So if I have one pound and I snap it in two, do I have two pounds now?

No, you have a coin that will no longer spend

It's 6-1 in the office here for one sandwich, and that includes a Frenchman's vote for one, I think that says it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
ReActor said:
Mart, you bastard. I just said the same thing to Wrighty on MSN!!!! Damn that man for slowing me down.
Just vote then mate. You're clearly a sensible man.

CWright said:
No, you have a coin that will no longer spend

Comprehending analogies is fun. :applause:

Even though they're banned in this thread. :lmao:

Last edited:
It's one sandwich. When u go to a food stall/place/bar/take-away and ask for a sandwich, they will give u one cut in two halves. they do not give u one slice.

Baggs said:
It's one sandwich. When u go to a food stall/place/bar/take-away and ask for a sandwich, they will give u one cut in two halves. they do not give u one slice.
Thats true. You never get one slice.

But then again, if you got one slice of bread, buttered one side, added the filling and then folded the slice of bread in half, isnt that a sandwich too?

What if you used a muffin for your sandwich you'd have to cut it in two before using it anyway so it can only be 1!

Pret-a-Manger offer perhaps the most ludicrous item - the slim pret. Which is basically one half of the normally two pack sandwiches available.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050908/241/frkul.html

The above news report refers to this as a "half sandwich" so yes....the problem above, according to the report, equates to one sandwich.

But this is not conclusive cos I don't think there are internationally recognized standards as to what exactly makes a sandwich. How many slices of bread? What about those quickies which you can make with one slice and fold it over? What happens when you have one half spread with jam and the other half spread with peanut butter?

Heres another interesting way to look at it...From some supermarkets, you can get the three pack - but three pack of what? Three halves? It is again not clearly defined.

Prolly not the best thing for me to discuss about cos I'm fasting at the mo and I am bloody hungry! :mrgreen: - I could murder a 3 pack prawn mayonnaise!

I think the answer is in how many slices you use to make the sandwich. if you use 2 slices and cut both in half then it is equal to one sandwich (half +half=whole) . now if for some reason you only have one slice and fold it up then it too is considered a sandwich beacuse you only used 1 slice of bread (half a slice+half a slice=whole).

the question is all mucked up. at no point does it say the guy put the two slices of bread on top of one another, and it says he sticks a filling in between. in between what? theres two slcies lying, he can only stick the filling on top of one slice coz he hasnt put the two slices on top of one another.

donnertilidie said:
the question is all mucked up. at no point does it say the guy put the two slices of bread on top of one another, and it says he sticks a filling in between. in between what? theres two slcies lying, he can only stick the filling on top of one slice coz he hasnt put the two slices on top of one another.

:lol:

I dont think its meant to be a trick question, it wasn't asked to catch you out. :D

Also Coopz, you've disappointed us all..... :(

donnertilidie said:
:lmao: Over analysed it there, mate.

Back
Top Bottom