How to rob balls properly in WE8LE ?

when you defend try not to run just walk with the attacker (use the d-pad only) or even walk then run at times when you feel he's about to sprint until you feel it's time for the X or tackling button and cut it from him. running all the way won't do you any good because you will give him the advantage of surprising you and changing his destination. you just play cool and wait for him to do his next move. also good defensive tactics play a major role in keeping you safe. offside trap is very risky and 5 or more defenders means you have no real chances of scoring, so try to keep it balanced.

I hate te defending in this game! I need help! I always hold :r1: and backwards towards my own goal whilst pressing :square: to try to bring a players towards the opponent on the ball but alot of the time it is my strikers and attacking midfielders running back chasing the opposition from behind when i would prefer my defensive players to push up and press the opponent on the ball! I have tried holding :r2: instead of :r1: but i find thta the player that i control doesn't move quick enough! I am pretty good at defending in PES4 and not bad in this but it annoys me when the opponent plays a floted through ball, my player that i am controlling gets sucked in towards the ball even though i am holding the d-pad in a different direction!

one ridiculous but effective hint (for WE veterans like me that still play with d-pad and never could embrace the gay-ish analog stick).

Try using analog directional stick instead of d-pad when defending. You'll realise that:

- konami favours analog usage, with more responsive players, looking more fast and agressive in challenging oposition (although kabira says he uses d-pad lol)

- therefore it might contribute for you to win more balls in defense.

PS - if you already play with analogue and you still concede a lot... well... no hints for you then :).

Ok, could you give me an ultmate trick on this, cos' I've literally tried every single advice given here and nothing works as desired.

Thanx

bepperex said:
Ok, could you give me an ultmate trick on this, cos' I've literally tried every single advice given here and nothing works as desired.

Thanx

me too. I've been trying for ages to rob balls and I'm still getting nowhere.

just use r2(tap) and after the ball is of his feet hold r2 so the ball stays near to you, make urself free and pass or make a run for it and do fancy stuff with holding l2 and using the arrows ....
my english sux so..............
learn live with it :D

I am not sure if most people know there is a subtile difference in tackling with the :x:, compared with PES 4 :
In PES 4 you can hold the :x: pretty long when tackling before you get a foul.
That's quite sensitive in WE8 LE. You either miss-time the tackle or foul the opponent if you keep :x: pressed too long. The way of making succesfull tackles (in my opnion) is to keep the :x: pressed until you see the defender stepping in to tackle. At that moment you should release :x: immediately. The defender will then complete the tackle without your help.
When tackling this way you also win the ball more often! :)

bepperex said:

Thanx

There is no 'ultimate' trick for this, or pretty much anything for that matter in WE8LE. You just have to use the techniques that people have given here and practice a lot if you're having that much of a problem with beating your brother. Like people have said, the step tackle (X) works well if you time it right. Closing down potential passing lanes generally works a lot better than going straight after the ball as well.

Experiment, see what fits, see what doesn't, and practice.

I'm pretty sure it also depends a lot on individual players.Defenders like Rio Ferdinand and John Terry easily robs the ball off attackers,while Midfielders like Roy Keane and Vieira wins posession easily too.

Thank you very much people. Any of you have a good technique pressing :x: and :square: together? Which is the best way to defend when the attacker goes inside the box and dribbles the ball around to open a space and shoot?

bepperex said:
Which is the best way to defend when the attacker goes inside the box and dribbles the ball around to open a space and shoot?

Well, just pray that's he's gonna miss I guess.
That's why an excellent keeper is a must have.

To defend and rob balls inside the box, I press R2 ( this will make my defenders go into blocking stance and automatically sticks his foot out when the oppnonent shoots).
Most of time I press R2 and X together to make it even more effective.

But If my defenders go way too deep near the goal and the opponents are running fast from midfield and into the box, and it's too late to get near them, I just stand in front of the goal and press R2 to block their shots.
Sometimes I can block their shots, othertimes I can't.

For my Master League I don't use OMF or SMF or CMF (they're all useless) at all, I use 4 DMFs.
All have defense higher than 80 and stamina higher than 87.
They're really helpful to press for 90 minutes and stop the opponent's attack from the midfield.

So I press, rob the ball and send it to the strikers right away.

Back
Top Bottom