How to rob balls properly in WE8LE ?

S

sitdown30

The CPU Players' movements with the balls are sooo unpredictable.
They're also extremely good at weaving their ways thru my CBs.

I'm like 8 out of 10 gonna miss my normal tackles, and 9 out of 10 miss my sliding tackles.
It's horrible.

I can't seem to 'wrap' my body on the CPU players like I used to in WE8.

All of these result in heart thumping moments EVERYTIME (which is aplenty) the CPU players manage to get in my penalty box.
I've tried to play with 3 DMFs and backline of Samuel and Perea! I'm still leaking goals easily.

Can anyone help me?

sitdown30 said:
The CPU Players' movements with the balls are sooo unpredictable.
They're also extremely good at weaving their ways thru my CBs.

I'm like 8 out of 10 gonna miss my normal tackles, and 9 out of 10 miss my sliding tackles.
It's horrible.

I can't seem to 'wrap' my body on the CPU players like I used to in WE8.

All of these result in heart thumping moments EVERYTIME (which is aplenty) the CPU players manage to get in my penalty box.
I've tried to play with 3 DMFs and backline of Samuel and Perea! I'm still leaking goals easily.

Can anyone help me?

How many stars are you playing?

Same thing was happening to me at the start of my 2nd ML season, you have to get men behind the ball and close out the spaces, leave them nowhere to go. Also, do not chase after them like a headless chicken trying to steal the ball, it just doesn't work - instead chase after them and continually stay goal-side, eventually they will run out of space and with some pressing you'll steal the ball.

Personally I love this aspect of the game this time around. What I do is I basically try to close potential passing lanes instead of chasing the ball around. It seems that even when you hit your opponents with a sliding tackle they still manage to keep possesion. And their attackers move nicely off the ball. So playing defence in this one is actually fun.

That's my opinion anyways.

Must admit i much prefer it this way, reall gives you a challenge now. Best thing to do is dont go to ground too easily. Wait until the CPU tries to make a sudden movement and then either slide tackle or use the X tackle. How well you steal the ball will depend on the quality of the opposition and the quality of your own defenders.

So what do you think about We 8 LE's defence? What are the real improvements Konami has made in respect to PES 4?

Another question: How can I make my defenders stay on their feet when someone tries to beat me up with a through ball?

Thanx buds

Last edited:
i don't have we8le but i realy like what i am reeding in this forum
can't wait to see the immprovments on pes5

You have to mark the players around the player with the ball, instead of going at the ball. The computer is clever at finding open man. But when the player cant find an open man sometimes the player doesn't know what to do. I was playing some team in 6* with Newcastle on ML yestarday and a computer's defender was with the ball in his own box trying to get the ball forward. So my strikers, midfielders and wingers just marked every player around him. The poor defender was left with no option (obviously should have kicked it long) so he tried a stupid pass right into the legs of Nasri who finished it with ease.

How can I make my defenders not to open wide when a through pass has been sent? Is it enough to tap X button or do i have to pull the stick in any direction so I can steal the ball? I've got this question cause' sometimes I pull it backwards from my goal and sometimes forward, but the attackers manage to get past me easier when pulling it backwards. (This happens when playing against humans, especially when playing against my brother). Hope ya' reply somethin' helpful. Thanx for yer cooperation lols.

FORZA MILAN! PROSSIMO CAMPIONE CL '05!!!!!!!!!!

Well I think it depends on whether you play with offside trap or not.
If you do use it, than you have to pull the stick forward I think, to activate the trap.
But sometimes it's too late you know, and the opposing strikers are away before you can catch 'em.

Or I think you can mark the strikers heavily with your CB's. So they cannot get away with those difficult-to-intercept thru pass.

I'm still learning to do the offside trap now, haven't yet suceeded.

use R2 to position your defender as he runs towards you, you can move backwards without turning your body fully if you use this, so R2 then when you get a chance use X to stick a foot out

Ok, I've tried the R2 technique so far and it doesn't work when playing against my brother who loves to run around the pitch. As soon as he receives the ball, he starts running, then he sends trhough balls and defenders aren't able to reach his strikers or whomever he picks to do his runs. How can I stop him, any ideas? Thanks

learn to use the offside trap effectively. once you master it, it'll REALLY hamper the opposition's chances. however, it is a risky tactic, if you get it wrong, you won't be long finding out!
personally, i use the manual tactics otion, so i can employ any of 4 different tactics at the touch of a button in game. but if you use the semi-auto option, then just be sure to leave offside as your L1 option. i also set up my defence with the following settings: Line defence, Back Line C, Zone Press C, Offside Trap A, Counter Attack A. this way, my players don't get dragged out of position (you need to be aware of this in game) and my defence isn't pushed too far up-field, which can be dangerous. then, you just have to get used to the timing, it usually takes a few seconds for your players to push out, and if you use it at the right time, it can help you in all sorts of occasions - if you're not great in the air, it can stop you conceding goals from knock-downs, it can help you in aerial battles from opposition goal kicks, and of course if you're playing against a mate, it can really mess up him up by making him have to question every through ball he plays after being caught offside all game! lol :mrgreen:
also, if you want an edge, then pick a team with good defenders, preferably with tthe "DF Line" ability.

i think defending is pretty easy once you get the hang of it:

Even against skilled players or the CPU I adopt the following tactics

1) Use R1 to control the defender
2) Try to block off any passing channels as a priority. Always be alert for through-balls... these are easily defended if you use the L1 button to switch defenders and then use R1 to run in the direction of your own goal... 99% of the time, the defender will win the ball
3) As the attacker advances, use X button if he has the ball under close control, OR use the slide tackle if he has pushed it too far ahead
4) Normally, I shepherd the attacker towards the touchline, or towards another of my defenders... in which case holding X and [] button allows me to double team the guy and sandwich the attacker

Hope that helps... now if someone could help me on attacking HA HA

Through balls are easy as hell to spot, problem I have, is when I press L1 to switch player, it usualy goes to a player nowhere near the ball, so I have to press it like 5 times, which gives the CPU a shitload of time to mount an attack.

I think maybe advanced options would be good, aka the ability to tell your back 4 to push up if the CPU attempt a through ball, because most of the time they do a through ball, I have got some plonker playing them on by miles, and he is always on the wing so I cant reach the CPU in time to tackle him.

I dont really defend much, I just hunt them down like dogs, and slide everytime. But if you wanna defend using the R2 technique is the best option, get infront of him and use it, move back while he moves towards you, then just slide and you win the ball 99/100.

kingpug said:
I dont really defend much, I just hunt them down like dogs, and slide everytime. But if you wanna defend using the R2 technique is the best option, get infront of him and use it, move back while he moves towards you, then just slide and you win the ball 99/100.

Against skilled players I find that excessive "hunting" and sliding really tires players, so I only go hunting if I am losing and need to chase the game.

thinking of getting a modded ps2 just for this, sold my ps2 a few months ago (didn;t know about this game) been enjoying pes4 on xbox, should i wait until august or try and find a cheap one?

Is it enough just holding both buttons or do I have to pull the stick somewhere, let's say to the left, right, up, down,for instance...

Thanx lols, remember football can be either played attacking or defending

I still can't stop my brother's attack. How can I rob balls properly pressing X button?

Could you please help me out with this?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Could you give me any tips on the correct use of X button while defending? What combinations are better, etc.

Thanx pals

Ok, thanks, and how could I stop the striker when he begins sprinting and more important, when he is ahead my defender running like a damn cheetah...

you really have to pick when to make your move when tackling i quite like this aspect though......i was an 'X Button chaser' and i started saying tackling was wrong until i tried a few different things....

yeah definately go to cut off the passes as much as you can, you can almost tell the cpu is going 'DAMN HUMAN I CANNOT PERFORM THE PASS' and so it sometimes hesistates or is forced where it doesnt want to go.

Mix up a bit of X button pressing, and simply getting in with the d pad and harassing to win the ball...sometimes an X button tackle will be skipped around whereas if you werent pressing but just getting in close with the d-pad you would win the ball...the comes with experience, you will see the times where the cpu has the ball under total control and when it hasnt....

try to come in from the inside, a player is more likely to want to cut in and so coming to tackle from the inside gets you closer the to the ball....otherwise they are forced to go past you on the outside and more than likely will try to beat you for pace, which is a good sliding opportunity...

theres no failsafe way, stats, timing, luck all play a part...and there is the odd time you will get the good old invincible AI just leave you standing but i think that keeps things interesting...

another point i forgot to add....

keep your shape as best you can

hope this helps mate :)

Thank ya' very much dear bailzebub, but the major problem I've got is when playin' against my brother, human opponent. Therefore, I'd like to have some hints that could hepl when playing against humans. Thank you very much lol.

yeah good dribblers are very tough opponents, a good dribbler (and non greedy passer) is the Devil lol

as best as you can force him to go where you want go.....the odds are he is looking for you to commit and then skip around you, if you charge in with X and he is expecting this then you are getting skipped....harass him as much as you can solely running close with the d pad.....the odds are if he is like my mates he knows what an X button press is looks like and is waiting to skip around....just using the D pad and nipping in messes this tactic up...even if you dont win the ball you are harassing and are less likely to step in and past him....

once you get the hang of it you will know when you can use the X press against him...

see how you get on gettin close without commiting anyway mate, thats what i did when my mate made a super dribbler who used to carve me up and forced me to rethink my tackling....hope you have some luck against him.

Nothing posted here works aginst my brother!! Dammit, I guess he's quite a magician! Could ya' please give me any other good tip?

Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom