Increase your Internet connection Speed

does it work with cable outside the uk? i live in malta and i'd like to know if it works, too scared of fooking up my connection :roll:

im not sure, if u write down ur default settings u can always revert back to them.

But dont blame me if it does fuck up but u can thank me if it works :)

LOL!

thanks very much coopz!

my average downstream (default) was 27.24

after tweak 1: 40.22
after tweak 2: 41.16

after changing my settings to the same as the guy who wrote the article: 59.50!

:D :D :D

coopz, that is tip of the century!!

when i was dl'ing from newsgroups, after a few days of not being at my pc, refreshing the headers took hours because my speed usually averaged around 150-250kbs and sometimes it would have sat at 50-70kbs and not moved for ages...

i've just refreshed all the groups i subscribed to and the dl speed averaged about 470 the whole time!!

thanks again!!

No Problems mate

Its seems as 512k ADSL users can only get 59.5 max then

no just for this test

i get over 60k when downloading depending on the file

Can someone tell me if them 2 pages up the top work?

My ISP did something on the 26th and my speed is now shit

Yeh the two pages worked. Cheers mate - I now max on the speed test at about 59.5.

-Noted Fear

fucking wankers

im getting 48k when i used to get 59k

noted try the advanced and if they dont work go back to the previous ones

Is the advanced just fliking things to Yes and No and shit or is there something I'm missing?

-NF

That can easily be down to contention at certain times of the day. i won't bore you all with the theory of how the tweak works if you don't already know, but BT will be changing the RAS servers (which all DSL isps use) to change the packet size from 1458 to 1500, which is default on all windows machines. This will stop the fragmentation which is what's causing the slowdown at present.

Hmm, connectionwise there's not a lot more you can do. Systemwise you can I suppose. Most of it is common sense, so sorry to anyone this sounds like I'm trying to teach to suck eggs.

If you have 512 RAM or more, don't let windows handle your swap file (virtual memory). I quite happily get away with setting it to 128 on this 2K machine, and it helps keep my windows partition down in size.

For anyone running 95/98/ME get a program called Maxmem (I think that's what it's called). Those versions of windows are terrible at memory management, so use it every so often to defrag your RAM in real time and get that 'just-booted' feeling back.

MSConfig is your friend. In 98/ME/XP just do Start > Run > msconfig, and go to the startup tab. That list is all the crap that loads on startup, so get rid of nonsense like nwiz, nvcpl, realplayer etc. The more of that stuff that gets loaded at startup, the longer it'll take to boot and the less system resources you'll have. 2K users will have to do a search on the net for msconfig.exe and put it in their windows\system32 folder to be able to run it.

If you're running kazaa/edonkey don't. Get kazaalite and emule at the very least. The normal programs dump so much ad- and spy-ware on your machine it's untrue. On the subject of ad- and spyware, get something like adaware and you can get rid of it from your system. For some people that can help enormously.

Don't defrag once a week, there's just no need. For most people once every few months at the most is all that's needed.

If you're running an nVidia card and hate the crappy 60Hz refresh rate it forces things to by default, get HzTool for 98/ME users and something like NVRefreshTool for 2K/XP. No more flickery screens and no more headaches.

That's as many basic things as I can think of for now, like I said most of you probably already know most of that, but if it helps some people then good. Oh yeah, it ain't my fault if you bollox your computer up either.

If people have any more specific questions, ask away. I may not know the answers, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

If you have 512 RAM or more, don't let windows handle your swap file (virtual memory). I quite happily get away with setting it to 128 on this 2K machine, and it helps keep my windows partition down in size.

i have 512MB RAM. what do u suggest me to set for the virual memory if i have two partitions?
oh. and my os is winxp pro...

Depends how big your partitions are and how much space you want. You can get away with no virtual memory, but some apps (photoshop, 3DSMax) will suffer without it. Experiment and see if you notice and degredation in performance. Try 128 or 256 and see.

my first (c:\) has 6GB and the 2nd has 42GB

and i do use photoshop for example.... i just want t´he best and optimal setting and get the best performance

I have 1.2mB and get 150kb/s some guy told me i maxed out, so if i tweak it , it wont matter :roll:

Babs

I have a

2.6 gig processor
1024 meg
120 HDD (not partitioned)
128 meg Geforce 4

and evertything is as windows sets it

You're just showing off ;)

TBH you can probably turn virtual memory off and get away quite happily with it. Make sure you have the latest detonator drivers from nvidia, and get that NVrefreshtool I mentioned earlier.

I'm assuming you have 2k/xp, you'd be mad to be running anything less on that setup really.

I personally would partition that drive in to at least 2 parts, losing 120 gigs is hard ;/ I have an 80 gig drive atm, with a 10 gig windows partition, 50 for applications and games and 18 for backing up and archiving stuff I dont want to lose. At least that way if you shag your windows installation up, or want to install a different version, you can format your C: with a minimum of hassle. Your installed games/apps on D: may lose registry stuff, but most either don't need it or will rebuild it the next time it's run.

Get hold of partition magic and have a go.

i already converted from FAT32 to NTFS so all i need now is a partition

i dunno y but all of a sudden i have become worried about my PC fucking up, so i have to make sure im ready for it :)

Back
Top Bottom