Inter dont cancel tour of England - Update

Mack

Champions League
8 August 2003
Manchester
MCFC
Portsmouth, Crystal Palace, Leicester and Norwich have slammed Internazionale's decision to cancel their tour of England.

Inter were due to travel to England to face Pompey, Palace, Norwich and Leicester, but they have cancelled the matches due to security fears following the recent bombings in London.

Now chairmen of both clubs - Milan Mandaric and Simon Jordan - have been left fuming.

"It is very disappointing, especially for our supporters," Mandaric told Sky Sports News.

"I can't believe that something like this can happen, but the fact is it has."

Mandaric has some hope that Inter could be persuaded to travel to Portsmouth via Southampton airport, which may allay their fears.

"There is some hope they might come to Portsmouth through Southampton airport and we should know that on Sunday," added the Pompey supreme.

"We have proposed to come directly to Southampton, that is not being ruled out but we will know sometime soon.

"I don't think it is the right message, Inter is a big organisation and doing something like this, I don't think this is the right thing to do, there will be no danger and it is just very disappointing and is unacceptable as far as we are concerned."

Jordan was left fuming and he is ready to instigate legal action against the Italians, as they were due to play Palace as part of the deal which saw Gonzalo Sorondo and Nicola Ventola arrive at the club last season.

"Our situation is very different from the three other clubs where we did a deal where we spent £2.5 million on players and part of that deal was that they would come and play a game," he told Sky Sports News.

"So our feelings are more acute than those of Norwich, Leicester and Portsmouth because they [Inter] are in breach of agreement that transcends from a transfer when we signed two players from them.

"Looking at their motives and sentiments, I think it is pathetic, you have England v Australia playing in the middle of London and we are in the suburbs.

"It is cowardly, things are going on day to day, and they are going to allow terrorists to dictate to people.

"It is a very sad indictment of Italian football.

"I'll sue them, take that as given and their decision will prove expensive for them."

Leicester too claim they will look for damages from Inter.

"We are extremely disappointed in the actions of Inter Milan," said a Foxes statement.

"We will be contacting the Football Association and Uefa and we shall also be seeking substantial damages from Inter.

"The club has already incurred substantial costs in preparing for the fixture and we had expected a crowd of up to 30,000 supporters - all of whom will be very upset by Inter's late withdrawal. "Regarding Inter's concerns over security, we have worked closely with the local police and safety advisory group and they informed us they had no security concerns for this fixture and were perfectly happy for it to take place."

Norwich City chief executive Neil Doncaster added:"We find Inter Milan's decision hugely disappointing and totally wrong.

"Pulling out at this late stage causes considerable inconvenience to our supporters. For Inter Milan to refuse to travel because of the threat of terrorism is simply giving in to the terrorists".

Ive got to agree it giving the terroist what they want! and surley only the Palace match would have been affected if any!?

Re: Inter cancel tour of England!

I think the teams are over reacting, they cant force inter to play a friendly and sue them if they dont. Thats basically blackmailing.

The players themselves didnt want to play, so I dont necessarily blame them.

Naughty to pull out at the last minute though, so I guess they should pay some compensation.

at least they have a good reason , Juve canceled their to to NY & Toronto , because they dont want to risk injuring their players by playing on a football(NFL) pitch. its almost the same..... :sad:

playing in usa football (soccer) fields are totaly crap

"Ive got to agree it giving the terroist what they want!"

So?..thats like telling everyone in the world to stay in their house 24/7 because if they go out thats giving into the terrorists.

I dont think people would be happy if the Inter coach got bombed just because they didnt want to give in to the terrorists.

kingpug said:
"Ive got to agree it giving the terroist what they want!"

So?..thats like telling everyone in the world to stay in their house 24/7 because if they go out thats giving into the terrorists.

I dont think people would be happy if the Inter coach got bombed just because they didnt want to give in to the terrorists.

WTF the is more chance of the Inter players beinng blown up in Milan that there is of them in Norwich!

i dont know what problems the 4 clubs have.remember 2003, when besiktas had to play in germany against chelsea because of "terror" in turkey.nobody said we should play in turkey and not give the terrorists what they want.

maybe now they will understand us.

Back
Top Bottom