Interesting Point - EA Sports - FIFA Contract

cowden_harley

MOANING PRICK
3 October 2003
Central Park
Cowdenbeath FC
I was reading this months 360 GAMER magazine and it made the interesting point that EA signed its 8 year deal with FIFA for rights to produce the games in 1998. Therefore its up this year.

Do you think Konami will challenge them for the renewal??

Pro Evolution Fifa Anybody?

winning 11 is winning eleven, and fifa is fifa just as konami is not ea. i would hate to see any kind of crossing over.

No chance, it would never happen.

EA has too much financial backing to let that jewel go, EA sell FIFA because they have kits in it, what other reason do people but this dog shit game.

I was looking through the latest copy of Maxim magazine and almost every game advertised in that has an EA logo on it. Amazing really, EA has almost complete control over the games industry.

Wolf_Hook said:
No chance, it would never happen.

EA has too much financial backing to let that jewel go, EA sell FIFA because they have kits in it, what other reason do people but this dog shit game.

I was looking through the latest copy of Maxim magazine and almost every game advertised in that has an EA logo on it. Amazing really, EA has almost complete control over the games industry.
They do over sports titles, hence why there are no more ESPN Games.

DJ

Mate you beat me to it!

Theres an article in this months OPSM2 about this issue!

Apparently it is up and EA and the Premier League are currently locked in negotiations. The magazine actually phoned up the Premier League hoping to get some answers.

They asked whether the rights could made available to more than one title, but In reply the PL said no. It will remain exclusive to one company. If thats the case I reckon EA will keep it :(

Whats intersting though is that at the bottom of the article theres a cut out form that OPSM2 want you to fill in and send to the Premier League! Like a petition! It just says I would like both Fifa and PES to have official names etc.

Cant see anything like that swaying the PL!

You could also argue it's Konami's last chance to get this license for many years, and they might look at how much EA have made from it and decide to really push the boat out. They sold over 6 million copies of WE in their 2005 fiscal year, but then they might settle on that and decide they don't need the license anyway.

Would be nice to have it, though I'm not sure they'd utilise it fully if they did.

He means Konami should push to get the license so we get lots of licensed leagues rather than a few! I think the PL sucks!!

DJ

do you think microsoft would help konami out??? it would be a massive coup in japan if winning eleven got the licences and launched on xbox 360 in japan? Microsoft paid a lot to get we to xbox in the first place.

I tell you what MS would do themselves a huge favour if they did! and the Japs would go crazy over it too I reckon.

DJ

But surely if they did that, Microsoft would also want the same to be exclusive to Xbox 360 too.

Peter Eyres said:
EA have a huge monopoly at the moment, and are making record profits. Konami will never get that license until something drastic happens
Unless someone else pays for it...

It's not fair that one company can keep the licence for themselves. This promotes poor quality developing of games as the company knows they will sell a truckload regardless of how poor their efforts are. The rights should be split like they are with TV rights for the Champion's League and the Premiership in future (I think). If the rights were given to at least one more company, even if it's not Konami, we would see FIFA games vastly improve. At the moment EA don't have to do a thing.

Peter Eyres said:
EA have a huge monopoly at the moment, and are making record profits. Konami will never get that license until something drastic happens
EA actually suffered a drop of 31% in it's third quarter and this month laid off 5% of employees. Of course they still made huge profits but I think your post shows it's often assumed that they're constantly making more and more money year on year.

MS paying for the license or 'helping out' Konami to pay for it is all well and good, except like RuneEdge mentions, the fact they'd want it exclusively for their own brand. They're not going to pile money into a license for a title which has a massive install-base on their main rival's console.

ClassicD said:
MS paying for the license or 'helping out' Konami to pay for it is all well and good, except like RuneEdge mentions, the fact they'd want it exclusively for their own brand. They're not going to pile money into a license for a title which has a massive install-base on their main rival's console.

exactly.

Also, if Microsoft do something like that Im positive it would really upset EA. They could then boycott the 360 and not release future titles on that machine. Microsoft would lose out more in the long run.

Guys, forget about the Premier League licence. It's just not going to happen in my lifetime. Let's just hope Konami can persuade other Premier League teams to sing on to the best footballgame, just like Arsenal and Chelsea did. And I don't wanna jings the whole thing but I believe it's a save bett that they eventually will. You want to know the one and only reason: money. That's what the one thing clubs (read: corporations) care about. So eventually when the deal is right they will bite. This year I'll put my money on the remaing big three english teams: Liverpool, Man Utd and Newcaste Utd with Tottenham as an outsider (Lee is playing with this club which is important for the Korean market, ah you guessed is: MONEY WHOAHA!)...

If fifa will lose their contract with ea to konami... then hunka-hunka Elvis is alive!!!\\:o/

Deeply in sorrow... :lmao:

I would love nothing more than EA to lose out to Konami for licenses for FA Premier League.... but Konami dont have to have the Premier League License... I still think what Konami can do is do what they did with PES5, Approach individual clubs and buy rights off of them to include them in the game. They did it with Arsenal & Chelsea how about expanding that to some more Premier League Clubs?

DJ

I'm sure there is something about you can't have more than 2 licenses from individual clubs from the EPL without having the license for the entire league, hence why Chelsea and Arsenal are the only current 2.

Well that just plain sucks big time! it means we will never get what we want from PES then unless miracles happen!

DJ

Licensed or not, WE/PES still rules! Besides, I & a majority of people I know, enjoy patching, editing & tweaking their beloved PES/WE.

If Konami will get the licence, then EA will finnaly try to make the gameplay better then WE which will mean better games. I sure hope Konami will get the licence.

What about that other games?
Cant remeber who makes it, but like the Arsenal, Man Utd, Cheski footy games, like one game per club, will they be competing for lisences?

Back
Top Bottom