Is Football Being Ruined?

D

DagsJT

Really interesting article and a great read.

August 28, 2008

What is it that Guinness advert proclaims? "All good things come to those who wait". Well the Footballing Authorities may not have to wait too much longer until their transition of the game is complete. To rid the game of the bad and populate it only with the good. No more rowdy behaviour, no more rebels of society daring to stand up and make their feelings known, no more problems.

Their ideals consist of fans turning up every week, queuing to gain entry in an orderly fashion, having booked their tickets 3 months in advance. Entering the stadium and taking their seats, rising only to applaud goals where they dance along to carefully selected music over the PA, before clearing up their litter and disappearing into the countryside until the following weekend. No hassle, no passion, no noise.

"They'll only miss us once we've gone"

As the game I know and love becomes more diluted by the passing year, I often wonder just when the breaking point will come. When will those authorised with sanitising our game realise the error of their ways? Or can they not actually see that they are breaking the very foundations of what has made this sport a success? Pound signs blur their vision, seen all too often in every walk of life. Greed takes over, people want more. They've exhausted the Premier League "brand" and now have visions of taking it further afield; the infamous "Game 39". Translated to you and me, meaning they have milked pretty much every penny they can from the "consumers" in this country, and now want to tap into the pockets of those football hungry consumers overseas. All in the name of expanding the pockets of the shareholders, players and governing bodies of our sport. Our sport, not theirs.

If I rewind 7 or 8 years; I'm leaving the house on a matchday and making my way to Anfield. There was no need to ring around in the morning; I'd just turn up and walk into one of two or three pubs around the ground, and would bump into people I knew. You knew where everyone would drink, and had done for years. The same faces, the people that made this club what it is. I can pop my head into those same pubs now, and I wouldn't recognise a soul. Those long standing supporters have now all but disappeared, replaced by families from all over, decked out in official replica sportswear and taking pictures of anything that moves. There's a smaller crowd of us left and tend to keep out of the way. We don't conform. Those areas around the ground have now been taken over by the new brigade, while the old guard retreat to pastures further afield.

Year after year, more and more people are dropping away. There's still a hardcore of a few hundred that travel everywhere. There's still thousands that go to every home game just like they always have. But it's becoming harder and harder for these people to carry on. Supporters being replaced by consumers. Participants being replaced by spectators. Just how much higher can the bar be raised by the controlling bodies before they've pushed away everyone that gave the game it's appeal in the first place? What happens when the passion disappears for good? You can't manufacture passion, no matter how hard some clubs try.

They have mascots running up and down the touchline trying to encourage the fans. At Bolton they play "I feel good" when they score, with two young lads running the length of the pitch with big flags. Music played after goals is now commonplace, as if fans don't know how to celebrate a goal by themselves. Is it because they realise the passion is dead and are trying to hang onto a small semblence of it? Or is it aimed at manufacturing a friendly atmosphere to suit their agenda?

Manufactured support; I can't think of anything worse. Handing out those clappers seems to be the next step this season, with the whole of St.Andrews clapping along with them before their opening game. This in a ground that used to be known as one of the most passionate and hostile in football; now transformed into a childrens play ground with everybody doing as they are told. Sat down and singing what the club want them to sing, and clapping when they want them to clap. So sad. Ticket prices on the increase there every season, and a ground I now refuse to visit. £40 for an away ticket some 4 years ago. No thanks. It doesn't take a genius to work out why they barely fill half of that ground any more.

Newcastle had their lowest league attendance for nearly a decade at the weekend, with cash turnstiles in operation, entry for £10 if you bought a replica shirt and other such promotions, but still had thousands of empty seats. Manchester United have been contacting everybody on their mailing lists trying to push season ticket sales again this summer. Whereas Old Trafford used to be like Fort Knox when it came to getting in, they're now closer to resembling one of the happy hour bars in Benidorm, with teenagers stood outside handing out cards with promotional offers to encourage trade. What was once a closed shop, is now opening it's doors and trying to drag people in off the streets.

Is the football bubble about to burst? I hope so.

On Monday night, Portsmouth's most famous fan, the bell ringer with the blue hair, or less commonly known as "John", was approached by the ground staff at Fratton Park and asked to keep the noise down. I'm sure it's not only me that's absolutely staggered by that. Asked to stop ringing his bell and keep the noise down, in a football ground! The mind boggles. But it's another notch on the many that have been made previously, in slowly sanitising the way we support our teams.

We are told we're not allowed to stand up as it's unsafe; yet rugby sides play in exactly the same stadia and those rules don't apply. Apparently it's safe for rugby fans to stand in those same seated areas, but not football fans (the reasons for that I could write a book on, and will address again). It's madness. They're also allowed to drink in their seats while watching the game. I know of a fan that was facing a 3 year football banning after peering over the exits at White Hart Lane to catch a goal he'd missed when coming down early at half time. He'd walked down the steps, was handed a pint by a friend, and heard the roar from the stands. He went halfway back up the steps to see what had happened, when two officers arrested him for consuming alcohol in view of the playing surface. It defies belief. But I'm told we're different. As our friend from Portsmouth has pointed out this week; would this sort of discrimination be accepted anywhere else, or by anyone else, but football fans?

I was on a final warning in my old season ticket seat for foul and abusive language. I was reported by fellow fans for swearing, and risked losing my season ticket. Now in that seat, I was reserved, very reserved. It was on the halfway line and not a noise was made all season by anyone. They were spectators, I'm a participant, or like to be. I want to go to the game and let off some steam. I go to work to pay the bills, put a roof over the family heads, and to enjoy myself during my time off. I choose to do that at the football, something I've grown up with. It's always been a part of who I am. But in that seat, I had to control myself and just sit and watch the game, conforming to those around me for over 7 years. I must have sworn a handful of times in that entire period, when telling the referee where to go or some other trivial slip of the tongue. Yet I faced losing my season ticket and not being able to support my side over it. I was one swear word away from walking away from the game for good. If this was in a family enclosure I'd understand. I know when swearing is unacceptable, and in my view, a football ground is one of those places where it fits.

When I go to the match, I want to stand with fellow fans, my friends. I want to participate in the game, I want to support the side. I want to shout and I want to sing. I want to do the things that made me fall in love with the game and going to the match. But one by one, the authorities are trying to take all those things out of our game. To have us sat in silence, only singing when they want us to sing, and singing the songs they want us to sing. Blaring music over the PA system we are supposed to dance along to. We're unable to create an atmosphere ourselves it seems. For the future, see American sports for how it will go. Club issue foam hands can already be seen, dancing girls have been tried, the list goes on.

Keep sanitising; you'll soon be wondering where it all went wrong, when the very people that made this game what it is, have all long since disappeared. There's not many of us left. Soon there will be none.

Enjoy modern football. Enjoy scratching your heads in some plush office arguing with each other about who's to blame when the crowds start to stay away. I'll be long past the caring stage. You'll have brought it upon yourselves and destroyed a game loved by millions in the process. I hope it's worth it.

Paul Jones

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzi...-only-mis.html

Thoughts?

I was going to post this a few days ago - very good article.

The problem is that people who went to matches in the 70's, 80's and 90's and still go now are very much a minority. Now not only is a hefty proportion of the crowd families and day trippers (in the Premiership at least), but you also have TV viewers in the millions to take into account.

While I'm fully in agreement with what this guy says, football now is a totally different sport. It became money fixated in the 80's and will follow that route to the end - nothing a bunch of grumpy old men can do about it because it is no longer ours. It is a "made for TV" event and belongs to the couch potatoes now.

I agree with both the article and Terry (as nearly always, except about SWP).
There will come a time when people like the writer will be seen as dinosaurs on the verge of extinction.

Then we will have the new football fans: the happy few who come to watch the matches life and the millions who can watch it on television.

As a foreigner i might add something, that is more about fair competition. The fact that as a Belgian i more interested in the Premiership is ominous.

You have all the world class players in your competition. If i see that a player like Robinho prefers a club like Manchester City instead of European giants like Benfica, Celtic, Ajax then something is wrong. Teams without tradition like Hull City, Wigan Athletic or Reading (and i mention three teams i really like) succeed to attract players that will never play for renowned clubs like Ajax, Feyenoord, Porto, Anderlecht etc, then something is wrong.

Football being football now and then there is the possibility of a surprise (Monaco-Porto as a CL final, Deportiva la Coruna outclassing Ac Milan), but the odds of a litle club winning silverware are not very high.

In the long term that is bad for football. Americans have understood that perfectly. One can see that the way they have organized their sports competitions like the NBA.

Because the odd thing is that even if football is ruled by people with commercial minds. The way thing are going now is in the long term not commercial at all...

wow, you cant have beer in your hand and watch the game!!!! wtf...

No mate. Even in non-league games, the FA have told clubhouses we can only have alcohol inside the clubhouse :((

On a side note, I'd love football to completely change and say that only players from within X distance can play for X club.

So that way, Scousers would play for Liverpool or Everton (Tranmere etc even). People from Hull would play for Hull or other surrounding clubs.

I understand this would severely hamper players in such countries like Brazil and Argentina, as well as African countries. But it would really improve the game in general, improve the spirit of the teams and would certainly help lower leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a final warning in my old season ticket seat for foul and abusive language. I was reported by fellow fans for swearing, and risked losing my season ticket. Now in that seat, I was reserved, very reserved. It was on the halfway line and not a noise was made all season by anyone. They were spectators, I'm a participant, or like to be. I want to go to the game and let off some steam. I go to work to pay the bills, put a roof over the family heads, and to enjoy myself during my time off. I choose to do that at the football, something I've grown up with. It's always been a part of who I am. But in that seat, I had to control myself and just sit and watch the game, conforming to those around me for over 7 years. I must have sworn a handful of times in that entire period, when telling the referee where to go or some other trivial slip of the tongue. Yet I faced losing my season ticket and not being able to support my side over it. I was one swear word away from walking away from the game for good. If this was in a family enclosure I'd understand. I know when swearing is unacceptable, and in my view, a football ground is one of those places where it fits.

Yeah of course it does along with the casual racism...

Enjoy modern football. Enjoy scratching your heads in some plush office arguing with each other about who's to blame when the crowds start to stay away. I'll be long past the caring stage. You'll have brought it upon yourselves and destroyed a game loved by millions in the process. I hope it's worth it.

I and many other supporters(consumers, manufactured support, etc...) have not destroyed the game, football is a business which is run by capitalists like any other cash cow...

but the odds of a litle club winning silverware are not very high.

Sevilla? Portsmouth? Tottenham? Greece?

In regards to a few leagues yes, but to some of the cup competitions no...

I think by "little" he probably means someone from the Championship, and challenging on a constant basis.

The stronger teams have gotten stronger and made it too hard to compete.

Agree about the clubs, have nothing to say about the fans. Player contracts are a joke now, salaries are way too high, and transfer fees are also too high. Mack, Spurs is not a 'little' club anymore, they have so much money that its completely unfair to call them 'little'. Portsmouth too. There should also be a cap on the number of foreign players, as it diminishes the chance of domestic youth to even enter the football profession. I'm not talking about England only, but most European countries. The bigs are always getting bigger as they operate as businesses, and the smalls are always getting smaller.

Its also quite strange that every year we have more than 2 reports of players getting heart problems from big leagues or clubs, theyre constantly increasing matches - its reached the point where fans of big clubs hate seeing their players play for their countries. And now countries have to pay clubs to compensate for injuries!!!!! Playing for your country is meant to be an honour and duty, not a luxury. TV money is ridiculous, and are one of the reasons for increasing matches every year.

edit - dags, your idea is good, but i dont think it would ever work, for the reasons you mentioned. But a mandatory minimum of players could work. For example, for UEFA clubs, minimum of 5 from Liverpool - not Liverpool youth (players from loads of countries but youth team) - but youth as in from Liverpool.

Last edited:
No mate. Even in non-league games, the FA have told clubhouses we can only have alcohol inside the clubhouse :((

On a side note, I'd love football to completely change and say that only players from within X distance can play for X club.

So that way, Scousers would play for Liverpool or Everton (Tranmere etc even). People from Hull would play for Hull or other surrounding clubs.

I understand this would severely hamper players in such countries like Brazil and Argentina, as well as African countries. But it would really improve the game in general, improve the spirit of the teams and would certainly help lower leagues.

That way the FA could concentrate on having dedicated football centres in all regions, and they'd be guarenteed of getting players into professional teams.

Great idea Dags :))

Mack, Spurs is not a 'little' club anymore, they have so much money that its completely unfair to call them 'little'. Portsmouth too. There should also be a cap on the number of foreign players, as it diminishes the chance of domestic youth to even enter the football profession. I'm not talking about England only, but most European countries. The bigs are always getting bigger as they operate as businesses, and the smalls are always getting smaller.

Woooah i didnt say anything of the sort, I wouldnt say Spurs have ever been a little club imo. Id put them in the same class as us, Villa ect we have tradition and history but never the most succesfull.

Football has gone from being of the people for the people to a corporate cash fest. I for one hope football eats itself in it's current format.

And yet football has never been so popular. What we have is what 'the people' want. You don't like it, I don't like it but there are countless millions who are happy with the way it is. They love the glamour, they love the hype, they don't groan every time Sky knock out a cheesy trailer for the next 'Supernova Sunday'.

It's still the people's game and no matter how ludicrous it becomes, it always will be. But you won't find many of 'the people' here, or football365 or anywhere in the media because they don't care that much. It's just entertainment now.

Today my five year old son went the first time to a real football training. He's mad about it.
He asked a real football shirt from Barcelona and my 8 year old daughter is a fan of Chelsea...
When i was that age we wanted shirts from belgian teams: Anderlecht, Standard, Brugge...
I guess that's what we call globalization. Belgium is a third world country in football and the gap is widening....

Today my five year old son went the first time to a real football training. He's mad about it.
He asked a real football shirt from Barcelona and my 8 year old daughter is a fan of Chelsea...
When i was that age we wanted shirts from belgian teams: Anderlecht, Standard, Brugge...
I guess that's what we call globalization. Belgium is a third world country in football and the gap is widening....

That's pretty bad, I agree. They should be growing up with Belgian teams, as you say.

force them to wear the real deal. take them to a match of your favorite club. show them it's fun there aswell. they are old enough to go to a stadium in my opinion. i'd be a struggler searching for a big club to follow today aswell if it wasn't for my dad taking me to MY club. now i am fan for 16 years. we are playing 2nd division now. so what? it's just fantastic to meet with friends to go to our club. we don't need robinho or ibrahimovic. it's all about the passion and fun, not about the big success, in my opinion.

show them that there are good clubs in belgium!! :EASY:

force them to wear the real deal. take them to a match of your favorite club. show them it's fun there aswell. they are old enough to go to a stadium in my opinion. i'd be a struggler searching for a big club to follow today aswell if it wasn't for my dad taking me to MY club. now i am fan for 16 years. we are playing 2nd division now. so what? it's just fantastic to meet with friends to go to our club. we don't need robinho or ibrahimovic. it's all about the passion and fun, not about the big success, in my opinion.

show them that there are good clubs in belgium!! :EASY:

true, i have season tickets for an MLS team, we hardly have any robhinos! but following your own team is great fun. I think you need to get that kid to a local game gerd.

I understand this would severely hamper players in such countries like Brazil and Argentina, as well as African countries.

You know what, no it would not, at least talking about Brazil, the one I follow closely.

There are a lot a good players around the country,
Some years ago most of the players were local,
but the problem is that most of the clubs now chose partnerships with money investors, even for 14 years old,
since they say they don't have money and european football is eating us up.

But the reason that we got this way was most of it our own fault. With the biggest problem being corruption, how many club presidents and player managers got millionaire over dirty transactions,
or seducing young kids with instant money.

And while everybody was amazed by the money they could make managing young talents. They forgot about important things like the fans, make the game a spectacle.

Now some clubs realized that, but it is too late cause most of them are broke,
and selling players, not only the Robinhos and Patos, but the Glaubers etc, is a much easier and faster way to make money. But a dead alley.

Local football still fun, but if you know what to expect.

I agree Sauce. Domestic football would be better all round the world if we all kept to our own leagues and was immune to money. There's no mystery in football anymore, you know the players of every team and you know how they play.

In England the system for bringing up kids has been so poorly developed that we have failed whole generations of kids (me included ;))). The flair in kids that we hunted down and killed in the 80's has had to be imported into professional football since the early 90's. And now we're importing foreign kids, while we only teach our own the finer arts of 'kick and chase'.

I despair.

It's even worse in "litle" football countries like Belgium.
We have great national youth teams (look at our Olympic teams) we even have a 16 or 17 year old who is rated as one of the best players in the world (in his age category of course, i'm talking about Eden Hazard), but none (or very few) of these players play for Belgian teams. In the olympic team only GK Bailly and Marouane Fellaini (who now plays for Everton). Eden Hazard plays for Lille.

After the match against Italy which was won by our Olympic team, lots of Italian teams were impressed by Moussa Dembele (AZ67). IMHO he is a big talent. Well as a 17 year old Anderlecht wanted him to come, he turned Anderlecht down and went playing in Holland for....Willem II. With all respect, but Anderlecht or Willem II...All the young talents from the Dutch speaking part of Belgium join Dutch clubs, almost all the young talents from the French speaking part of the country join Northern French clubs like Lille, Sedan, Valenciennes, Lens and Metz. Only exception: Standard de Liège have lots of good young players and let them play. Look how good they did against Liverpool...Other Belgian teams prefer third or fourth rate foreigners to homegrown players...

It's even worse in "litle" football countries like Belgium.
We have great national youth teams (look at our Olympic teams) we even have a 16 or 17 year old who is rated as one of the best players in the world (in his age category of course, i'm talking about Eden Hazard), but none (or very few) of these players play for Belgian teams. In the olympic team only GK Bailly and Marouane Fellaini (who now plays for Everton). Eden Hazard plays for Lille.

After the match against Italy which was won by our Olympic team, lots of Italian teams were impressed by Moussa Dembele (AZ67). IMHO he is a big talent. Well as a 17 year old Anderlecht wanted him to come, he turned Anderlecht down and went playing in Holland for....Willem II. With all respect, but Anderlecht or Willem II...All the young talents from the Dutch speaking part of Belgium join Dutch clubs, almost all the young talents from the French speaking part of the country join Northern French clubs like Lille, Sedan, Valenciennes, Lens and Metz. Only exception: Standard de Liège have lots of good young players and let them play. Look how good they did against Liverpool...Other Belgian teams prefer third or fourth rate foreigners to homegrown players...
i guess this is true, belgium is like three countries in one, hey at least you guys can still produce awesome beer!

Back
Top Bottom