Is Live dyin? Network gaming, has it came and gone?

Carl

Ban Master
Staff
27 December 2001
N.I.
West Ham United FC
I know we have a Network Gaming sub forum above, but I wanted more people to read this.

So has MS vision of a world full of gaming communicating and interacting with each other came and gone and died, or is most Live users on this forum currently either :

a) saving for the 360 and all that entails, and then BAM! I'm going to be Live-ed UP TO THE MAX BABY! (In a Tim Westwood style speak)

b) Live has bored me to tears with all them annoying yanks and cheaters

c) There is honestly nothing on Live that grasps me anymore

I am a fan of Live, though I must admit that playing Halo is probably my last resort on Live, mainly due to the fact that I get mullered, so much for the match making, I've never came up against anyone at the same level of uselessness as myself.

It appeared Live just seemed to die in the summer, was it due the shambolically flawed Forza that broke the camels back or have everyone just left it till the next generation.

I have Summit Strike and it is a great game, it's a very well polished GR2, hit detection better, loading times faster and a much smoother game which you can pick up from Play for 13 quid, yet the only other person I know from these forums who has it is Wrighty. Rainbow Six Lockdown isnt out a month and its become Game's deal of the week at 20 quid, the game is out 3 weeks!!!! Again the only other Live-r I know is Wrighty.

So is there a chance that Live will return to the days of full rooms and servers?

Well apart from the golf which is a weekly thing, and certainly from my perspective something I play on my own, even on live - there is little I play on Live at the moment.

I would love to play online more, hell everyday if I could, but it just isn't possible for me at the moment. I would love to get better at Halo2 online, I'd like to play more PGR2.

Also I am no longer buying games for this gen, I am waiting for the 360 and saving all the cash I can for that. If I were single then I would play every new game that came out (within reason), however I'm not and I have to balance home/gaming life.

Having said all that I truly believe the issue with Live is the summer months. People would rather be out, now that the nights are closing in I can see more time being spent on Live.

Last edited:
Forza was "shambolically flawed"? The only flaw was you and Wrighty were guff at it and gave up after a few weeks! :lol: I liked Forza but stopped playing when you guys gave up as the main aspect of Live for me was playing with folk who you knew a bit better, i.e. Monday Night LIVE!

Last time I played on Live was probably the last time we all played Forza together (yep that long ago). I'd play more games more often if not for the flooding of the market with a certain genre, but you know that story already ;). Same as Dave I'm not buying any more games this generation, won't get the use out of them.

I am going to get a 360, but the way it's looking it won't be at launch due to PGR3 probably not making that, and I'm not buying games for the sake of having a new system.

I'm tempted to get FarCry instints, if I do I guess I'll be back on Live again soon. We shall have to wait and see.

• Staff
I know you hate FPS on a console pad Classic, but even you had a top laugh on some of our old Halo bashes.

Also I fully understand the rigours of family life for ReActor, kids cost alot of money, nevermind the mortage, the car, insurance, etc to fade

Dar, I will be getting Far Cry tomorrow, as I have never played the PC version and am just interested to try the whole concept out, however I'm also looking forward to the Predator mode on Live.

Anyone else out there on the forums even slightly interested in Live gaming? Or am I destined to wander Live like the ghost of Evo-Web Live Crew I have become.

ClassicD said:
Forza was "shambolically flawed"? The only flaw was you and Wrighty were guff at it and gave up after a few weeks! :lol: I liked Forza but stopped playing when you guys gave up as the main aspect of Live for me was playing with folk who you knew a bit better, i.e. Monday Night LIVE!
Fully agree with this, I thought Forza was a great game. If we had made some rules like everybody using the same car and not switching tracks after every race, we could have had lots of nice racing nights. ;)

Holio said:
Anyone else out there on the forums even slightly interested in Live gaming? Or am I destined to wander Live like the ghost of Evo-Web Live Crew I have become.

I'd be more interested, but when I ever go on line to play Ghost Recon 2 or Halo 2, I just keep getting owned by the people who do nothing but play the game for hours a day. And if I'm not getting owned, the people shouting, "stop fucking camping" gets tiring and then you get booted. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. :(

It is those kind of people who ruin Live for those of us who actually have a life, twats.

I think if the PS2's online gaming was as good and easy as XBox's, maybe things would be different. And then theres the issue of having a decent connection to ru the thing. But things are changing now. New broadband speeds are being introduced and more and more games are online so maybe in 2006, online gaming will be a big thing.

CWright said:
It is those kind of people who ruin Live for those of us who actually have a life, twats.

Problem is, it isn't just Live. When ever I go to play a PC game online, it's the same. People who play for hours and hours a day, then you get mocked for being crap when you only play the game once every couple of months. Then you get the people who are just generally twats. You can't do this, you can't do that, or I'll boot and ban you. I played Raven Shield on the PC online for a lil bit. If you stayed still for anything longer than a few seconds, people would scream camper at me. I don't have to deal with that when I can play a game at my own pace off line and have a lot more fun.

I thought for Live 360 they were planning to introduce different domains (or whatever they call it) for different kinds of users, eg. casual gamers, power gamers and so on. I'm not sure if it will work, but it sure is a good idea.

EDIT : Wrighty has now sold Rainbow Six Lockdown, so forget what I said above... :(

Live does feel like it's dying indeed.

To be honest though mate, its the AI in Lockdown that kills the game. That and the fact it now takes you longer to die, its just run and gun!

I'm hoping Far Cry: Instincts will re-kindle my love with Live. I haven't been on in a couple of months, but Far Cry is meant to be extremely good. Superb map editor aswell as a top notch multiplayer, so I'm picking that up tommorow

Well I've just cancelled my Live subscription a few days before it was due to be automatically renewed. To be fair to Live though the main reason for this is that I haven't decided on a next-gen console yet and don't see the point in remaining on live if I won't have a 360.

As for the playability of Live, I have Conker, Rainbow Six: Black Arrow, Halo2, Burnout 3 and PES4 all online but the only one I don't get hammered on is PES4, and we all know what happened with online play there. The ratio of hardcore gamers to n00bs on most games is so severe that it is impossible to find an evenly matched game. On conker I'd resort to only playing team battles and trying to follow my uber super dooper teammates to victory. Hardly a sense of achievement.

There is a great new feature over at IGN regarding Live in the next Gen. The thing I am most looking forward to is stating upfront what type of gamer you are. Whether that be Pro, Family, Recreational or Underground.

"You'll also pick your Community, or your Game Zone. The zone you prefer to play in (there are four zones, Underground, Family, Pro, and Recreation) is the kind of community you want to be a part of. Want to play like a pro and compete with the best of them? Check Pro. Want to play with your kids and stay away from trash-talking idiots? Check Family. Underground is for the foul-mouthed, crazy-types and Recreation is for those folks who just want to hang out and play for fun."

Recreation sounds like the right catagory for me, so if that removes all the dumb ass stat whores then that is all goooood :) .

I think I'll be somewhere between Recreation and Underground then... and I did hear a 'Bollocks' out of out of ya last night on PGR2 ;) that's what made me laugh quite a bit at one stage, just the ever so quiet word.

I'm thinking about the above, your always going to have some HIGH on winning type dirt bags who just arent good enough for Pro and will come into the other areas just to up there winning stats and take out some cannon fodder.

It may well take a while to work in principle. I mean even on Halo2's so called Match-making thing, I'm a simple Level 1 punter, but I'm never ever matched up with other Level 1 people. I think the lowest I have played against is a Level 4, but normally they are 6 or above and it's just a pheasent shoot then.

Yeah, I can see that happening. But on Counter Strike - PC version - there's like a feature on some servers where if you score too highly, you get kicked from the game. Hopefully something like that can be implimented. Hopefully we will be able to boot loud mouthed yobs who insist on telling on me on how and how I can't play the game on line. So fed up of that.

Was hosting a game on PES 4, and because I like to be cautious in how I pla and not give up possession easily, I had some total prick shouting down the mic complaining I wasn't attacking. Apparently I wasn't playing the game properly. LOL I only had far more shots and far more shots on target than he did as well.

Anyway, point is, get rid of smack talking nob heads, and get rid of stat whores.

Back
Top Bottom