Is the league over?

Is it over?

• Total voters

fd1972uk

---------------------
9 January 2002
Glasgow
Celtic
Well looking at the EPL, Chelsea have now opened a gap up of 5 points on their nearest 'genuine' challengers in Man Utd, with Arsenal possibly managing 6 points behind should they win their game in hand.

Chelsea tbh, haven't looked all that great so far, but keep racking up the results, haven't even conceded a goal as yet. Also the question is when they do get into a bit of form, what then? They've already been installed as 4-11 favourites, which is one of the lowest odds on any of the other top Championships in Europe, are the bookies right?

It possibly is too early to start saying such things, but going by the lack of excitement for so long in the EPL for dramatic Championship finishes, is this going the same way again?

Your thoughts.

FD

Ask me again in 2 months.
A little to early to answer this since football has it's surprises, although I do believe chelsea will get the league on way or the other.

Logically it's too early but in Chelsea's case i'm tempted to say "yes"...i think Chelsea are clearly better, more effective than Man Utd and Arsenal have ever been...at the beginning of the season i saw only one contender: Liverpool under Benitez...but Liverpool have failed aswell...Furthermore Chelsea already have beaten what could become a possible contender: Spurs.
Although i like Chelsea, i hope i'm wrong...i like thrillers.

This is ridiculous!! Its only September, you get nothing for being top now. Its not over yet!

PS It says I have already voted and I haven't, so add another vote to NO!

chelsea played bad games and even won these, thats the way champions are made, that and investing 10000000 millions of € ....

It's far from over, but it does look encouraging from a Chelsea point of view, purely from a good start perspective. The road is very long however: Premiership, Champions League, League cup, FA Cup - need i say more. I'm not one to count my chickens.

Logic tells you yes, it's done. Arsenal have already lost (and not to an in-form team either, in Boro), Man Utd dropped points at home to City (who I have to say seem so much tougher to beat under Pearce, what a great job he's done, though talk of him being England manager is typical of the English press). Chelsea like Frank said, haven't even begun to hit their stride and are already pulling away. They have the best manager, and an unfair financial backing (yes Jose, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney cost lots of money but once they were bought the pursestrings were tightened, something that just isn't going to happen at Chelsea).

Can't see anyone but Chelsea winning the title, no matter what the result when the big sides clash the other 'contenders' just aren't consistent enough over a season.

1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Arsenal

(IMO).

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
lol no chance, even suggesting it is stupid....

LOL...you're in for another big deception...of course as a fan i would say the same thing...but we neutrals know better...get used to the idea of other clubs than Man Uts being champion for a long time...

gerd said:
LOL...you're in for another big deception...of course as a fan i would say the same thing...but we neutrals know better...get used to the idea of other clubs than Man Uts being champion for a long time...

and you base this on what exactly??

I know everyone wants to believe it but ive heard it all before. there is along way to go...

Nah, I really dont think you can put it like that yet. Last season when Arsenal continued their unbeaten run, people were also sure they would be champions again...Chelsea do have a comfortable lead, so early in the season, but two bad games could make it disappear.

All that said I definately think Chelsea will be champions, but they have a long way to go still...

gerd said:

This is stupid, its only September!! Lets hope Chelsea have the same attitude as then they will surely fail.

Wasn't this what everyone was saying about Arsenal this time last season? Or 97/98 when Man Utd had a big lead after the first 3 months. Or 95/96 when Newcastle had a 12-point lead at Christmas?

Jumping to conclusions this early on is ridiculous, verging on the insane.

No where near over yet look at the way Arsenal started last season on the back of there unbeaton season yet Chelsea more than caught them, not over in a long way IMO!

It is way to early to even consider who will be champions yet. The deciding game will be Man Utd vs Chelsea at old trafford if Chelsea win or draw that game then i think the title will be theres. Personally i dont care who wins the Premiership as long as theres entertaining football on the way which IMO Chelsea are not showing.

This is just stupid. I know we are 5 points behind but we have a game in hand meaning it could only be 2 points behind very soon.
And another thing is that (after the Liverpool game) we've got some of the tougher teams out of the way. Chelsea have still got to play the more frustrating teams like Man City and Everton, teams like the Liverpools and the Newcastles and also the big games like against Man Utd.
Plus Chelsea's next game is against the only other team in the league so far with a 100% record. I know is only Charlton (no disrespect) but that is game that can potentially cause Chelsea problems especially with Bent on form.

This league is far from over.

Far to soon stupid poll TBH , how can u say something liek that , Hearts have a 5 point lead and there are less teams they have to worry about beating ie rangers and celtic so u can never count a league over after what 5-6 games ............??

TOO early so say so! But Man Utd will keep the pressure on Chelsea.. & as for Arsenal, i think they out of it already, with the squad depth they have got! :lol:

LOL...
Fantastic thread FD...priceless...i'm quite sure FD set this thread up as a bait to the fanatic fan-boys...and boy did it worked...
Of course the league normally could never be over at this moment...but...you guys will see...Chelsea will win it (and i'm not a Chelsea fan). Chelsea will improve...
Runedge: you seem pretty sure that Man Utd will get a 100% score against the "weaker" teams...you already seem to have forgotten the match against Manchester City...

Seriously: i hope Charlton can keep this form and can play a role as a contender...now that would be a very good thing for English football...i think teams like Liverpool, Spurs and maybe Charlton (too soon) have closed the gap with Arsenal and Man Utd (a litle bit???) down...that's a good thing...The gap between Chelsea and the rest is widening however (and that is logical since Chelsea have spend the most money). Fans from Arsenal and Man Utd it is not a shame that Chelsea is doing better it's pure logic (you people just can't get used to the fact that for the first time in years it will not be a two horse race).

gerd said:
LOL...
Fantastic thread FD...priceless...i'm quite sure FD set this thread up as a bait to the fanatic fan-boys...and boy did it worked...

Jesus, that's scary..............you know me so well. :lol:

Well I said it with part tongue-in-cheek and also with a little bit of seriousness to see the reaction and looking at the results it's all even, so not really that stupid. Personally I think Chelsea will win the league, they're playing not so great but yet they've won all their games and not even condeded, yet all I've heard is how much they'll have to improve for the CL. The other thing being that come January they can just spend more. It's like Champ Manager with an unlimited money cheat. It's not like before when Arsenal and Man Utd would be battling it out, pretty evenly, now there's a team that has bottomless amounts of money.

I know Chelsea fans might not like this, but personally I don't actually like watching them playing, they're very direct and their football isn't all that great, considering the pits of money they've been spending. Man Utd for me are the only team that can catch them for me. Arsenal for me haven't been overly impressive and I honestly feel they can be discounted from being Champions already.

We'll see how things fair, but I can honestly seeing another boring end to the Championship in England once again.

As for Hearts in Scotland, it would be great if they could mount a decent challenge, but I have my doubts.

FD

gerd said:
Of course the league normally could never be over at this moment...but...you guys will see...Chelsea will win it (and i'm not a Chelsea fan). Chelsea will improve...
If I was to be in biased I'd also saw Chelsea are probably gonna win it but thats a different question. The question is whether its already over and it isnt.

gerd said:
Runedge: you seem pretty sure that Man Utd will get a 100% score against the "weaker" teams...you already seem to have forgotten the match against Manchester City...
:lol: You consider Man City a weak team?
They were the only team to beat Chelsea last season and in the other game, they drew against Chelsea. And since Pearce has taken over, they have been a different side.

I wouldn't say because Man City beat Chelsea that that automatically qualifies them as a good team.

If you are saying that it's too early to judge the league is over, then the same can be said about your assessment of Man City. Although Pearce has done very well in his start. Hope he does well too, I like him and his attitude and desire.

FD

Chuckle.jpg

FD

LOL...and they keep on taking the bait...
Why would i be biased Runedge...although i call myself a former Man Utd fan (and you know why), deep down it still is the English team i prefer (although i will always call Wigan Athletic my favourite team this season). After all i've been a fan for more than 25 years...even the Irish owners of Roch of Gibraltar, Glazier and Ferguson can't wipe that out completely.
And FD has already expressed what i think of your assessment of Man City and about the team itself...they are a team in development...
All in all the Man Utd and Arsenal fan boys seem to ignore the fact that the gap between Chelsea and the rest is widening (which i don't like as a neutral football fan, but which i like as a forum member who has been annoyed by the the gloating of lots of Man Utd and Arsenal fans) and on the other hand the fact that teams like Liverpool, Tottenham, Charlton, Manchester City are closing in on Arsenal and Man Utd.

Back
Top Bottom