• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
With over half the season gone Chelsea seem to be in a great position to win the league but will they?

Do you think they have the staying power and the bottle to go all the way and win it with a record total or will the wheels come off and let one of the other contenders in?

Its never over till it is mathmatically impossible. People who know te premiership lnow that it is never over, things happen that you least expect to happen.

Chelsea still have Arsenal and Man U to play, if they lose those two and draw a couple more it will be close, so its never over untill the end.

Hopefully man u beat chelsea on wednesday and that rocks them abit. Like when Arsenal were flying but got beaten by man u on 49 games unbeaten. That was our turning point of the season and nobody expected that.

Come on the gunners!

I don't think that if Chelsea get beaten in the CC, that it will neccessarily derail their title challenge. This is what Man Utd and Arsenal are praying for. We aren't Arsenal, and so th mindset in the camp is different. They are the current champions, and they were on a huge unbeaten run. Chelsea are so hungry for the title, you would not believe it. It helps, of course, that we are able to lose 3 games, win the rest and still finish a point clear, IF Arsenal now win ALL their remaining games.
However, being a Chelsea fan, i'm used to diasappointment, and until i see John Terry lifting the trophy, it's not won yet ;)

Its not over yet, any Chelsea fan that thinks that is either A) Stupid B) Overconfident.

Its only over until its mathematically impossible for anyone to catch them, they are in a great position, but with Utd and Arsenal still to play things can change. Sometimes quickly.

well chelsea is on fire, arsenal has been up and down all season, man u in recent months haven been on fire, but can they sustain this... i think the prof is right, the chelsea players have the most desire, so i think they are going to run away with it, and i know its never over till its over, but i just dont see aresnal and united both beating chelsea... and one more thing, robben is a sick sick player, is this the guy to finally get netherlands to a world cup final(in recent times)? maybe..... we will see.....

I can't see anyone beating them to be honest, who says money can't buy happiness, there's going to be some happy Chelsea fans this year.

Yeah Robben is a fantastic player, unstoppable at times. Along with Duff they provide real wing play. Something that's really lacking in the premiership

Thought I would drag this topic kicking and screaming back to the top, for some reason I think they will blow it but I dont know why

I hope you're right Chris I'd rather see the Arse win it. I hate the thought of Chelsea buying the premier league... I just can't see them losing.

I hope Arsenal don't win it, simple as. Man Utd or Chelsea, either will do. But if Off-Topic won, i'd be even more happy

I have little doubt that chelsea will win it!

I can't see them losing! It's just the same feeling i had when mourinho was coach of FCPORTO.

These days, if a didn't see a chelsea game, i only ask "how many?" If they would tie, or even loose, i would think i was in the twilight zone! :D
now seriously... The title is theirs, only a injury disaster would take them the tittle of their hands... [barça?]

On my mind sometimes i wish that chelsea would just loose all their games, so that mourinho would return to PORTO! :(

CWright said:
Thought I would drag this topic kicking and screaming back to the top, for some reason I think they will blow it but I dont know why

if in this position in the last couple of years i would agree with this, but the modern chelsea with mourinho in charge and with the addition of fantastic players like cech, robben and drogba accompanied with the great squad they already had in particular duff, terry and lampard, i just cant see utd or arsenal catching them this year

danwin said:
I hope you're right Chris I'd rather see the Arse win it. I hate the thought of Chelsea buying the premier league... I just can't see them losing.

Hang on!. A while back we were told Chelsea couldn't buy the title!! Make up your minds. Or just change it to suit your arguement i suppose :roll:

I never recall saying such a thing. It's pretty fucking obvious that if you can buy any player you want, you're going to be able to put together a championship winning side.

The question shouldn't be whether Chelsea will lose a few cuz losing to Arsenal and Man Utd, and drawing a few games could easily happen assuming that Chelsea will want to also focus on the Carling Cup final, FA Cup and the CL. And the further they progress in those competitions, which they probably will seeing how they're going for the quadruple, the fixture list will get thicker. Remember what happened to Arsenal last season when they had the FA Cup semis and the CL 1/4 finals in a matter of days? They ended up losing both even though they went into both matches as the favourites to win. Now lets say Chelsea are in the CL semi finals but have someone like Duff injured and also have a vital premiership tie in a few days. In which game do you use Robben for the majority of the game? If the squad is rotated, in which game do you player the weaker team? Its when Chelsea reach a situation like that where I believe they could start to struggle. IMO, the Barcelona game will be the match(es) that change their season.

The real question is whether Arsenal or Man Utd can pull off a 14 game winning streak (We'll definately know after tomorrows game who won't make 14 wins in a row :mrgreen: ). 14 wins in a row is tough for even Chelsea so this will be a real test for us and the Gunners. IMO, 14 wins is more likely to win you the title than Chelsea. So really, the title is in our hands, not Chelsea's.
Lets all just hope the title is won and not bought.
eusa_pray.gif

Here are the fixtures btw, with how I think it will all pan out:-

CHELSEA
-------
Blackburn Rovers Away W
Manchester City Home W
Everton Away D
West Brom Home* W
Norwich City Away W
Crystal Palace Home W
Southampton Away D
Birmingham City Home W
Manchester United Away D
Arsenal Home D
Fulham Home W
Bolton Wanderers Away W
Charlton Athletic Home W
Newcastle United Away W

* (Fixture clash/League Cup)

I think this Chelsea side even playing relativly poorly would be able to get those results, and so only drop 8 points, plus with a goal difference of +40 theyve a margin for error in that field.

MAN UTD
-------

Birmingham H W
Man City A D
Portsmouth H W
C. Palace A W
Fulham H W
Blackburn H W
Norwich A W
Chelsea H D
Everton A D
Newcastle H W
Charlton A D
West Brom H W
S'hampton A D

So, if those results happen then Man Utd would end up dropping 10 points.

I hope it a bit closer than that, and I hope Arsenal can make it a 3 horse race, but realistically Chelsea would have to have a complete nose-dive in form and I dont see that happening.

Professor Nutmeg said:
The title won't be bought no matter who wins..
5 of Chelsea's best XI team are actually signings from the start of this season along with a new (and great) manager (+ his staff). And to suddenly jump from a mid table team to one of the strongest teams in europe in 2 years, I'm sure thats got more to do with money than anything else. If the title was ever bought, it would be this season if Chelsea win.
I'm not trying to say that Chelsea don't deserve it cuz they do after all, they worked hard for every result they got but you can't stop envying the fact that they were chosen to be invested in by a billionaire. That could have been another team and they probably would be in the exact same position as Chelsea.

We have been, for a long time now, a top 6 team. I don't know where you're getting this "mid-table" from (Hoddle, Gullit, Vialli, and Ranieri all did well to keep us there in recent times, but they could never take us over the edge). The spine of Terry, Lampard and Gudjohnsen has again done us proud. They are the key men imo. The acquisition of Robben, and previously Duff has certainly complimented this. We were always "outsider" title challengers, but nonetheless we've been up in the European places, year-in year-out. For me, the biggest catalyst is Mourinho, no doubt about it. Moving up to challenging for the title is only a natural progression under him.

danwin said:
I never recall saying such a thing. It's pretty fucking obvious that if you can buy any player you want, you're going to be able to put together a championship winning side.

What happend at Madrid then?

The main difference is Mourinho. He is a great manager.

But you have to ask yourself; would a Champions League winner such as Mourinho want to come to a club that is in debt, with no money to spend and chasing 4th/5th spot every year?
icon_wink.gif

Of course, not to mention his wages.

Manchester City Home
Everton Away
West Brom Home
Norwich City Away
Crystal Palace Home
Southampton Away
Birmingham City Home

Look at that run, not the hardest, could have it all wrapped up if we play well in those games.

I can't believe there are people who still think that the biggest share of chelsea's success isn't because of mourinho! :o

He won two european cups in two years, first the uefa cup then the champions league, he is first in the EPL with 10 points ahead of big guns like arsenal and man utd, is in the front to win every competition he is in to. I would not be personally surprised if that would happen. The hardest game they have till the end of the season is next CL matches against Barcelona.

Of course u can't be a winner without a great team, but who choose the team? I think you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom