Is this the end for Serie A?

G

God

Now with the Premiership and La Liga being the choice for most of the gifted, popular players and Italian football riddled with cheats and point-deductions is this nearly the end of what was once a fantastic league?

Interesting. You support AC Milan and live in Italy. No bias then?

Most of the big name's in the Juventus squad who have left seem to have gone to real madrid or inter milan, so i can't see how all of a sudden it will be the end of Serie A. Plus most of the Italian players that won the world cup are still playin in serie A anyway.........

Don Domenico said:
You know Serie A is in decline, when Inter is awarded the scudetto..

Hehe, it's the only way they can get it :)

As the man above said, the world cup winning team was created entirely within the serie a, which hasnt exactly fallen apart.

God said:
Now with the Premiership and La Liga being the choice for most of the gifted, popular players and Italian football riddled with cheats and point-deductions is this nearly the end of what was once a fantastic league?
No.

Why should serie A be in decline???
As somebody pointed out Itaky became (dservedly) winners of the last WC with a squad consisting of 22 serie A players...need we know more????

Stan said:
Why should serie A be in decline???
As somebody pointed out Itaky became (dservedly) winners of the last WC with a squad consisting of 22 serie A players...need we know more????
That just means the league has 22 great players in it, that doesnt mean the league is appealing to other players.
Italy no longer seems to be attracting players like they used to.

The Premiership has Henry, Rooney, Ronaldo, Ballack, Shevchenko, Kuyt, Gerrard, Fabregas, Rosicky, Duff and too many more names to mention.

La Liga has Ronaldinho, Van Nistelrooy, Emerson, Torres, Joaquin, Messi, Eto'o, Riquelme and again, too many names to mention.

Serie A has a few good players but most of the big names have either left or are 30+ years old now. It is a league in decline in my opinion. Another season and it will be even worst. Everyone goes to Inter because there is no-where else worth going. Milan = points deduction. Juventus = cheaters (Serie B). Roma = who? It's quite sad I used to love Italian football now it's poo.

Chivu, Mexes, Nesta, Buffon, Pirlo, Kaka, Gattuso, Zlatan, Adriano, Samuel, Trezeguet, Cambiasso.... Is there any need to make a 2nd thread when your first one was deleted a few months ago?

Chivu, Mexes, Nesta, Buffon, Pirlo, Kaka, Gattuso, Zlatan, Adriano, Samuel, Trezeguet, Cambiasso!? Bar one or two they are a load of old men! Don't you always slate Adriano? Mexes is average and Trezeguet is on his way to either Man United or Lyon! :lol:

God said:
Chivu, Mexes, Nesta, Buffon, Pirlo, Kaka, Gattuso, Zlatan, Adriano, Samuel, Trezeguet, Cambiasso!? Bar one or two they are a load of old men! Don't you always slate Adriano? Mexes is average and Trezeguet is on his way to either Man United or Lyon! :lol:

:lol: I completely agree ninja, good to have you back.

Ask any Frenchman and they would say Mexes should have gone to the WC. Half of those players have been wanted by United but they just couldnt get them. Old men? Apart from Samuel and Nesta, the rest are under 30.

Last edited:
italy now has less foreign stars than the other two leagues but their local players are light years ahead of the ones from england and spain.

i prefer to watch the premiership or LFP cause it's more fun to watch openly played offensive football, but you have to admit that the "boring" serie A defensive style of play is a lot more balanced and proper.

Milanista said:
Chivu, Mexes, Nesta, Buffon, Pirlo, Kaka, Gattuso, Zlatan, Adriano, Samuel, Trezeguet, Cambiasso.... Is there any need to make a 2nd thread when your first one was deleted a few months ago?
EPL has Cech, Gallas, Terry, Lampard, Joe Cole, Ballack, Makalele, Robben, Drogba, Shevchenko, etc. And I just named almost as much as you from Chelsea alone.
Serie A dont even have half as many good players like La Liga or the Premiership do IMO.

EDIT
And I just realised, Buffon and Trezeguet arent even in Serie A anymore, are they?

Last edited:
But Italians have more success over English teams in general, both club and country. After mentioning Chelsea, you've already covered half the prem.

Milanista said:
But Italians have more success over English teams in general, both club and country. After mentioning Chelsea, you've already covered half the prem.
What does that have to do with anything? That was the past.
A couple of years ago, we all wouldnt even be discussing this.

Its the past? This summer is already the latest example. Isn't it also abit pointless definining a league by the number of 'known' players it has?

Edit - I'm biased and you're biased, but I can equally say just because you dont know some players it doesn't mean theyre bad, which you can easily argue back.

Last edited:
How many players from your little list were actually Italian?
And from the World Cup winning side, Buffon, Cannavaro, Del Piero, Camoranesi and Zambrotta, who were clearly important players, dont even play in Serie A anymore.
So the national team has nothing to do with this discussion. Its the league that we're talking about.

Fine if you really want a list, from the top of my head (these are mainly internationals for their countries too):

Mancini, Ufjalusi, Mexes, Chivu, Pizarro, Mido (Hes shit but Spurs want him back), Pandev (Arsenal thought they had a deal with him), Stankovic, Samuel, Zanetti, Zlatan, Adriano, Crespo, Recoba, Cruz, Cambiasso, Figo, Vieira, Maicon, Maxwell, Julio Cesar, Burdisso, - just fucking Inter, theyve got more but I cant think of them now - Kaka, Kaladze, Dida, Seedorf, Gourcuff, Oliveira, Vogel, Cafu...

need I say more? I didnt bother writing down the other teams, I know the first thing you'll do is nitpick and say you've never heard of some of them.

Secondly don't think im slating any leagues, I'm not, and I dont really rank any of them, like I said to Ninja about 97 times, if a team is good, they're good and if a game is good, its good.

It's not in decline, but I myself lost a lot of respect for it over the whole fixing scandal. The way the punishments were handed out and then revoked, and now all of the other leagues in Europe have started but no one even knows the final team list for Serie A or when it will start... it's a farce.

In terms of Leagues I like to watch, I tended to prefer La Liga to all of the others. But Serie A is a good league to watch, as is Bundesliga, Dutch League, French League and Portuguese league too.

Recoba thats my man one of my fav players alongside with Shevy (Shevchenko). Has any one seen Recoba's goals on YouTube? if you havent i strongly advise that you watch it. The Italian Serie A has more technical players than the Premier League.

I think Serie A has been in decline since Utd beat Juve 3-2 in 1999. It was like your whole league took a look at itself and decided that changes were needed. It happens to us when the national team gets hammered or does shit in a tournament.
Every team used to be scared of Italian teams but now they're not.

Juventus have really only been rocked by their outgoings, but there's still plenty of class players going around Serie A.

As for the boring games, mind you the Supercup wasn't exactly bad, 4-3 with Inter coming from 3 down, sensational game.

FD

Back
Top Bottom