Jabulanied

Should the Jabulani technology be retained for future balls ?

• Yes. The ball can be improved.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No. Older balls allow players more control.

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters

ALBICELESTE2010

Champions League
13 July 2006
Watford
Argentina & Watford
There's been a lot said about the ball. We've seen some absolute goalkeeping howlers. Kawashima's being the most embarassing one.
YouTube - Netherlands vs Japan Wesley Sneijder Goal FIFA world cup 2010

So many overhit passes and crosses and handballs as players cannot cope with the deviations of the ball.

It has affected the World Cup. I've explained why the ball does what it does in terms of drag and no doubt at altitude the effects are multiplied as anyone who has played rugby on the veldt will know.

Here is Craig Johnston (Australia, Liverpool) laying into the ball:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8750020.stm

And Clarence Seedorf (Holland, AC Milan)explaining how to try and use this ball and not being really satisfied with it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8748961.stm

UK residents only unfortunately.

Should the technology be persisted with or balls be made the older way of panels being stitched together ?

You have to hit this ball with far less power and over the top to keep it low.

Last edited:
I like this ball. It feels somehow "better" than other balls I played with, f.e. the Teamgeist or the Omni. I really like the way it moves, if you are having a certain feeling you can do what you want with this ball and you can make it do the things YOU want.

And as I said before again and again: These men are professionals and I expect them to handle with this ball as part of their job. If they can't this is a lack of skill, respective of the will to learn handling it.

I don't think its an issue of control, but ball physics. I've seen far too many shots or crosses just fly straight up. The ball also seems to have a strange spin, so the 5 or 6 goalie fuck ups look very similar because of the ball's sudden change of movement.

If it's difficult for the goalkeepers, so be it, we get more goals.

But the big thing for me is, how many long range screamers have we seen? We saw the South Africa goal in the first game, which itself was still rising and the Slovenian goal which was really placed. Ronaldo almost scored one, but his technique is really quite unique.

The world cup is a showcase for the best footballers in the world, yet they seem to be struggling to control this new ball. It begs the question for me why change the ball if it's at the detriment of the quality of football? I've not seen many decent free kicks or long range efforts, the ball looks difficult to control and keepers are spilling it all over the place.

I know there are commercial forces at work and Fifa and Adidas want to sell millions of Jabulani balls, but why not just re-brand the Teamgeist or Finale? Using a ball that the players are more comfortable with will surely lead to better football at the biggest sporting event in the world?

I know there's always a new ball for major tournaments, and always complaints. Players normally get used to it fairly quickly, but with the Jabulani it seems more apparent that it's taking much longer.

Maybe it's 2 things stringed together. The fact that it's a new ball and needs time getting used to, and the fact they're playing it at high altitudes is not helping at all. Maybe if the ball was played at normal altitudes it would be ok.

It's a war of advertising, and psychological problems goalkeepers in World Cup. Jabulani used in the Russian league already half a year, and not any big differences. Only Zenit does not miss balls from the game is already half a year :)

What bothers me is the lack of goals from free kicks. Has there been one already?

We've seen very few long range effots as well. I think the only one I've seen that went in were from Podolski and Sneijder.

I think the ball is good. Van Bommel loves it too - and not only him, I suppose. Thing has been used in Bundesliga a couple of times on home games of Adidas teams and never did I hear anyone (not even goalies) complain. And heck, did the guys score some screamers!

YouTube - Badstuber Freistoßtor vs. BMG
Straight up it flies? Not if you do it right! :)

YouTube - [Ganzer Lauf/Whole Run] Arjen Robben Goal, Schalke vs Bayern 0:1, DFB-Pokal 1/2-Finale, 24.03.2010
Can't wait to see him in the World Cup.

Rakitic scored a screamer, too. Robben scored twice from free-kicks with sheer power shots and so on.

No, I do not think there's something wrong with the Jabulani.

Back
Top Bottom