John Barnes To Rap Again

Professor Nutmeg

ML Fanatic
3 July 2002
Master League
Former England player John Barnes is to come out of retirement from music to rap on an England World Cup song.

Barnes, who rapped on New Order's World in Motion for the 1990 tournament, is lined up to perform on a rival to the Football Association's official anthem.

Virgin Radio is running a competition for fans to write the song, with proceeds going to a cancer charity.

Barnes, 42, said he would "gladly" perform if the song included a rap "like Kanye West or Busta Rhymes".

Now a TV presenter, Barnes also sang on the Liverpool 1988 FA Cup anthem Anfield Rap.

He said: "If you write a rap like Kanye West or Busta Rhymes, something which gives me a bit more street cred, a bit of a gangsta rap, then I will gladly do it.

Cup experience

"As long as it has a bit of soul and rhythm to it then I'll do it."

Barnes was a member of the 1990 squad which made it to the World Cup semi-finals.

Proceeds from sales of the single, due to be called The People's Anthem, will go to the Teenage Cancer Trust.

DJ Christian O'Connell, who is organising the effort, said: "Now that we have Barnesy on board, whatever tune the FA comes up with has no chance."

Barnes won League, FA Cup and League Cup honours with Liverpool.

He also played for Watford, Newcastle United and Charlton Athletic.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

2000071809240890.jpg

Barnes you legend!

Professor Nutmeg said:
"As long as it has a bit of soul and rhythm to it then I'll do it."

I love this quote...he has artistic requirements now(!)

Miss anything? You're lucky you're just in time for the greatest thing since Barnes' last rap.

Back
Top Bottom