Jon Hare's Sociable Soccer - [PC/PS4/XB1/VR]

Our latest trailer.
I'd be 100% interested if not for the speed of it, even the tagline is about how fast it is and it's just too much (IMO)! I know it's not trying to be realistic, but I sort of don't get why it's not, when players have attributes etc. - it seems like it would be brilliant if it had just a slightly more realistic approach (IMO)!

Will still try anything Jon Hare does though!

Looking at the video, to me it looks more and more disappointing..

The gameplay looks like it play at lightning speed and what is it with all the sliding goals being scored.

I will buy the game as loved SWOS, but so far it looks too fast and too many gameplay issues in the videos.

My problem though, is a guess I was really hoping for a SWOS remake which is playable online.

I'd be 100% interested if not for the speed of it, even the tagline is about how fast it is and it's just too much (IMO)! I know it's not trying to be realistic, but I sort of don't get why it's not, when players have attributes etc. - it seems like it would be brilliant if it had just a slightly more realistic approach (IMO)!

Will still try anything Jon Hare does though!

Yes the tagline is Faster than F***. But you will find that it is very responsive and not at all out of control when you play it. I wouldn't allow it, no one in the team would.

Looking at the video, to me it looks more and more disappointing..

The gameplay looks like it play at lightning speed and what is it with all the sliding goals being scored.

I will buy the game as loved SWOS, but so far it looks too fast and too many gameplay issues in the videos.

My problem though, is a guess I was really hoping for a SWOS remake which is playable online.

If you want to play SWOS online there is http://sensiblesoccer.de that gives you an easy download you just need your opponents IP to play online against 100's of players that you find on the discord chat. Very easy!

Should you be at least bumping this today @Caniggia ?!

Out on Early Access some time today. I'm still not convinced from what I've seen of it and how they represent the game on Twitter. I'll wait for some Steam opinions later!

I will purchase, but what I have seen I am very unconvinced it will be any good.

I will give my feedback once I have played it later this week.

Edit:-
Looked on Steam and does not look like it is being released today.. Just says coming soon.

Last edited:
Should you be at least bumping this today @Caniggia ?!
I doubt Evo-Web represents a great deal of sales - look above, we're all pulling it to pieces already... :LOL: He's on Eurogamer (in the comments section of this article) answering questions!

I love that there's a third football game coming to consoles, and I understand why they want to make it a different prospect to FIFA and PES (why have three games aiming for the same thing). But I'm gutted, because it's just 100mph silly fun, and there are plenty of mobile games that do that. I wish they'd tried to take those games on and beat them at their own (gameplay) game.

But, it was never their intention to do that. I just wish I had the money and the expertise to start a little dev house and begin to work towards a pure simulation.

I doubt Evo-Web represents a great deal of sales - look above, we're all pulling it to pieces already... :LOL: He's on Eurogamer (in the comments section of this article) answering questions!

I love that there's a third football game coming to consoles, and I understand why they want to make it a different prospect to FIFA and PES (why have three games aiming for the same thing). But I'm gutted, because it's just 100mph silly fun, and there are plenty of mobile games that do that. I wish they'd tried to take those games on and beat them at their own (gameplay) game.

But, it was never their intention to do that. I just wish I had the money and the expertise to start a little dev house and begin to work towards a pure simulation.

Yea saw him pop up on EG, what prompted me to come here and check if there was any news.

Be cute to see it on Switch I guess and some of the ideas do seem good, but fake player names and unconvincing gameplay means its going to have to be one of those "you really have to play it to see how good it is" type deals.

@bsmaff - Hare said on Twitter its coming today. Steam doesnt get updated till like 6pm at best (he jokingly said it would go up at midnight tonight), but its defo coming today from what they have said this week.

OFFICIAL RESPONSE:-

Hi everyone,

We’ve been working non-stop for the last few months getting Sociable Soccer ready for Steam Early Access. Unfortunately we have hit a last minute bump in the road which means that Sociable Soccer will sadly not be released today on Steam.

We can say with confidence, though, that Sociable Soccer will now be coming to Early Access next week. The team is extremely disappointed that you won’t be able to play the game today but feel the wait will be worth it. Please hang in there with us, as we close in on releasing the first chapter of the greatest arcade football action game you’ve ever played.

/The Sociable Soccer Team

OFFICIAL RESPONSE:-

Hi everyone,

We’ve been working non-stop for the last few months getting Sociable Soccer ready for Steam Early Access. Unfortunately we have hit a last minute bump in the road which means that Sociable Soccer will sadly not be released today on Steam.

We can say with confidence, though, that Sociable Soccer will now be coming to Early Access next week. The team is extremely disappointed that you won’t be able to play the game today but feel the wait will be worth it. Please hang in there with us, as we close in on releasing the first chapter of the greatest arcade football action game you’ve ever played.

/The Sociable Soccer Team

Just smacks of chaos. Cant tell me they werent going to have a tested build ready just a few hours before launching it? Thats crazy. The whole project has been an absolute mess.

Just smacks of chaos. Cant tell me they werent going to have a tested build ready just a few hours before launching it? Thats crazy. The whole project has been an absolute mess.
A mess? That feels way too harsh. Jon put together a Kickstarter that failed but he then put his own money into getting it to this stage, he's determined. A delay of a few days before Early Access (it's not even the "proper" release) isn't a "mess", come on.

A mess? That feels way too harsh. Jon put together a Kickstarter that failed but he then put his own money into getting it to this stage, he's determined. A delay of a few days before Early Access (it's not even the "proper" release) isn't a "mess", come on.

Just from following them on twitter. The never really seem to be on the same page and come on, the game looks pretty bad. They were promising stuff then dont come through with it.

I just think its Hare that rubs me up the wrong way. Like he saying he wants people to forget about SWOS and take this on its own merits etc, then basically names the game as close as he can to Sensi and makes it look/play the same.

I'll be amazed if this doesnt get torn to pieces. I sincerely hope not and I'd love it to be even a fraction of the game SWOS was to me growing up (probably my favourite game of all time in 30+ years of gaming)

Just from following them on twitter. The never really seem to be on the same page and come on, the game looks pretty bad. They were promising stuff then dont come through with it.

I just think its Hare that rubs me up the wrong way. Like he saying he wants people to forget about SWOS and take this on its own merits etc, then basically names the game as close as he can to Sensi and makes it look/play the same.

I'll be amazed if this doesnt get torn to pieces. I sincerely hope not and I'd love it to be even a fraction of the game SWOS was to me growing up (probably my favourite game of all time in 30+ years of gaming)

I think that is the problem, like me I think you were secretly hoping for an HD SWOS remake but instead we have been treated to very poor gameplay videos, that if the game wasn't made by the same guy as SWOS you would of dismissed this game instantly and thought it looks like a bad New Star Soccer (PC Version).

To me as well SWOS is without doubt the best football game I ever played, it was quite easy to pick up incredibly hard to master and gave me and mates at the time many nights of Sensi Tournaments.

But a HD SWOS remake exists, on the Xbox 360, and it's fantastic (all fake names etc. but it's even got 96/97 players).

There have been enough SWOS remakes, they wanted to try something different but familiar. It looks to me like they're targeting twitch-gamers, who love fighting games and e-sports (it's the direction both FIFA and PES are slowly moving towards).

I don't like the look of the gameplay videos and it's not the direction I'd want a "third football game" to take, but to call it a "mess" is unfair. They're doing what they want to do. Even if it's not something we're personally interested in.

I don't like Trackmania, but it's not a mess, is it. I just don't like it...

Never had an Xbox 360, so never got to play the HD remake..

The game did vary on every system, played it on PC, SNES, Megadrive, but none of them came close to the Amiga in terms of gameplay. Very similar but not the same experience.

I know people play the PC version still and it is still updated to have all the latest squads.

Never had an Xbox 360, so never got to play the HD remake..

The game did vary on every system, played it on PC, SNES, Megadrive, but none of them came close to the Amiga in terms of gameplay. Very similar but not the same experience.

I know people play the PC version still and it is still updated to have all the latest squads.
Amiga version of SWOS was amazing! Call me sad and all but I still fire up my A1200 and play SWOS from time to time :)

Love the old games but much prefer them on emulators (or that Xbox 360 version), purely because... I can't go back to a joystick, and that's all I've got for the Amiga. I don't know how the hell I did it back then!

Amiga version of SWOS was amazing! Call me sad and all but I still fire up my A1200 and play SWOS from time to time :)

I still play SWOS to this day, every now and again I will start up the Amiga Emulator and play it.

I still find it so much fun to play, and really tempted to try it online, but fear I will get hammered.
Maybe we should get a SWOS Tournament going with some guys on here, see where we all stand.

Love the old games but much prefer them on emulators (or that Xbox 360 version), purely because... I can't go back to a joystick, and that's all I've got for the Amiga. I don't know how the hell I did it back then!

You clearly never had one of these:-

quickshot_python1.jpg

I used to use my master system control pads on the Amiga it worked great for SWOS.

It is still easily to this day the game I played most of and have the fondest memories of.

I'm really excited for this (hence my current avatar). I just hope there's a little depth to it and that stats, formations etc actually make a difference. Hare seems pretty confident and people who've actually playtested it have been very positive. Fingers crossed.

The time has now changed on steam for the game to be available.
It now states 6AM Friday Morning instead of Midnight tonight, although there has been an update from the Sociable Team, which points at the game being available late Friday.

The game will be priced at £14.99 / €19.99

Hi guys,

We are aiming for late Friday the 20th as the early access release date. We sent in our build on the 13th and it takes 3-5 business days to get approval. Unfortunately we haven't heard anything yet.

The steam clock seams to be acting weird so we set the available date to 2112, which is also a great album by Canadian band Rush.

We'll update you on any progress on social media.

/The Sociable Team

The time has now changed on steam for the game to be available.
It now states 6AM Friday Morning instead of Midnight tonight, although there has been an update from the Sociable Team, which points at the game being available late Friday.

The game will be priced at £14.99 / €19.99

Hi guys,

We are aiming for late Friday the 20th as the early access release date. We sent in our build on the 13th and it takes 3-5 business days to get approval. Unfortunately we haven't heard anything yet.

The steam clock seams to be acting weird so we set the available date to 2112, which is also a great album by Canadian band Rush.

We'll update you on any progress on social media.

/The Sociable Team

Not surprising again, they cant stick to anything.

Looks like there might of been another issue with the Steam Approval.

Game has now been placed - Coming Soon. This item is not currently available.

Back
Top Bottom