Jupiler League 2006-2007 thread

Stan

Allez les Lionceaux !!!
12 September 2002
Because the ohter one was so succesfully, let's start another one on the new Jupiler League season.
What happened previous year???
A match fixing scandal.
A thriller of a league with the favourites as winner. Anderlecht.
Anderlecht once again was the worst team in the CL.
The Belgian national team could not qualify for a World Cup for the first time since 1978.

What happened this summer???

A new national coach: René Vandereycken (good choice).
For the first time an Belgian team is qualified directly for the CL: Anderlecht.
A couple of very good players left the Jupiler League: Wilhelmsson, Kompany, Portillo (tobe honest he wasn't that brilliant).
Lots of transfers.

Some interesting transfers.

Anderlecht: Leiva, Biglia, Pareja (all three Argentinians), Boussoufa (best player last year, small frail bunt incredible techinically gifted) Jelle Van Damme, Ahmed Hassan, Mémé Tchité (last years top scorer).

Club Brugge: Ibrahim Salou, Timothy Dreesen, Daniel Chavez, Mustapha Diallo, Koen Daerden, Brain Priske.

Standard: Frederic Dupré, Hakim Bouchouari (last years' revelation), Steven Defour (biggest Belgian talent for the last 20 years, but under bad influence), Junior (from Stoke City), Nuno Andre Coelho (Porto), Areias Lopes (Porto), Rogerio Matias (Guimaraes), Mladen Pelaic, Milan Jovanovic, Rodrigo costa (Munchen 1860), Ricardo sa Pinto (Sporting Lisboa), Espinoza (Inter). Currently Standard is trying to transfer Helder Postiga.

Last edited:
I am suprised Standard Luik lost the first 2 matches. They have a good coach (Boskamp), plus the wonderboy everyone was after (Defour). I saw a bit of theire first match against Lokeren and I wasn't happy with what I saw.

First match:

Club Brugge - AA Gent5 - 0 29-07-2006 20:00 Racing Genk - Zulte Waregem3 - 1 29-07-2006 20:00 G. Beerschot - Beveren1 - 0 29-07-2006 20:00 Moeskroen - Cercle Brugge2 - 1 29-07-2006 20:00 Charleroi - Lierse0 - 0 29-07-2006 20:00 Brussels - Bergen1 - 0 30-07-2006 18:00 Lokeren - Standard2 - 1 30-07-2006 20:30 Sint-Truiden - Anderlecht2 - 4 30-07-2006 20:30 Westerlo - Roeselare2 - 1

Second match:

04-08-2006 20:30 Standard - Charleroi1 - 2 05-08-2006 18:00 Lierse - Racing Genk0 - 3 05-08-2006 20:00 Bergen - Sint-Truiden2 - 0 05-08-2006 20:00 Zulte Waregem - Brussels0 - 1 05-08-2006 20:00 Cercle Brugge - Lokeren0 - 0 05-08-2006 20:00 AA Gent - Moeskroen1 - 3 05-08-2006 20:00 Beveren - Westerlo0 - 3 05-08-2006 20:00 Anderlecht - G. Beerschot1 - 0 06-08-2006 18:00 Roeselare - Club Brugge3 - 2

Robin 007, Standard is a strange club. There is always something wrong there. They constantly change their team and transfer too much players. About Defour: to me he's Belgium's biggest talent in the last 20 or 30 years but i think he will not make it. He is barely 18 years old and he has fallen under the bad influence of his girl friend's family. Last summer the rumours round his transfer to clubs like Ajax and Valencia was a real soap...

Ajax wanted him, he wanted to go to Ajax. He had a agreement with Ajax, but Gent wanted 8 million Euros. Ridicoulus for a 18-year old. But I doubt Standard payed 8 million.

Third match day:

Speeldag 3 (18/08/2006 - 20/08/2006) 19-08 18:00 Racing Genk - Standard1 - 1 19-08 20:00 Zulte Waregem - Lierse2 - 1 19-08 20:00 G. Beerschot - Bergen2 - 1 19-08 20:00 Club Brugge - Beveren2 - 0 19-08 20:00 Moeskroen - Roeselare2 - 2 19-08 20:00 Charleroi - Cercle Brugge2 - 1 19-08 20:00 Brussels - Sint-Truiden2 - 2 20-08 18:00 Westerlo - Anderlecht3 - 4 20-08 20:30 Lokeren - AA Gent1 - 1

Only favourites Anderlecht have maximum point after three matches. One never knows with Belgian football, but i think Anderlecht could do better with this team in the CL. They are still vulnerable at the back but with players like Tchité, Frutos, Biglia and Boussoufa they have good attacking options. I have a feeling that Dutch-Moroccan winger Boussoufa will not stay long in Belgium. He's a huge talent.

The most controversial match was that between Racing Genk and Standard. Usually this is a big match in Belgium between the two teams who come closest to Anderlecht and Club Brugge. This year was special however because of the controversial transfer of Steven Dufour from Racing Genk to Standard. The impact of this transfer is similar to Sol Campbell's transfer from Spurs to Tottenham. 18 year old Dufour even has the same nickname in Genk: Judas. The young player stayed cool throughout the match and was one of the best players on the pitch despite all the booing...great performance.

Brussels, my favourite team, have lost their first points. They had a 2-2 draw against Sint-Truiden. Well, anyway i never imagined that they would play top of the league. Avoiding relegation is their main objective.

The ranking:

Totaal Klassement (10/06/06 - 30/05/07) #WVG+-+/-Ptn1Anderlecht (AND) 330095492Racing Genk (GNK) 320172573Moeskroen (MOE) 320174374Charleroi (CHA) 320142275Brussels (FCB) 320142276Club Brugge (BRU) 321093667Westerlo (WES) 321085368G. Beerschot (GBA) 321032169Lokeren (LOK) 3102321510Roeselare (ROE) 3111660411Bergen (MON) 3120330312Zulte Waregem (ZWA) 312035-2313Standard (STA) 302135-2114Cercle Brugge (CER) 302124-2115Sint-Truiden (STV) 302148-4116Lierse (LIE) 302115-4117AA Gent (GNT) 302129-7118Beveren (BEV) 303006-60

Fourth match day:

Speeldag 4 (25/08/2006 - 27/08/2006) 26-08 18:00 Standard - Zulte Waregem1 - 1 26-08 20:00 Bergen - Westerlo1 - 1 26-08 20:00 Sint-Truiden - G. Beerschot2 - 0 26-08 20:00 Lierse - Brussels0 - 1 26-08 20:00 Cercle Brugge - Racing Genk0 - 1 26-08 20:00 Beveren - Moeskroen3 - 1 27-08 18:00 AA Gent - Charleroi2 - 1 27-08 20:30 Roeselare - Lokeren2 - 2 27-08 20:30 Anderlecht - Club Brugge1 - 0

Fourth match day an the first big match of the new season. Anderlecht have beaten the team that should become their biggest rivals: Club Brugge.
Mémé Tchité's sixth goal of the season was enough for Anderlecht to win the match and that after a fabulous assist by Egyptian Hassan. Anderlecht still have maximum points and it could turn out to be a very boring championship if allgoes on like this (and frankly there is no reason to think otherwise).
AA Gent had their first victory of the season against Charleroi. Charleroi were leading until 15 minutes before the end but then Gent coach Leekens brought newly acquired Alin Stoica on the pitch. The former Roumanian wonder kid was inspired and Gent scored two goals by Irish striker Dominic Foley. Is this the beginning of a Stoica come-back??? Stoica had a wonderful season 2000-2001 but afterwards it all went down the hill and was sloppy in Brugge, Sienna and even Roumania. Gent is his last chance.
In the ranking leaders Anderlecht have a two points lead on Racing Genk and surprise package Brussels. Brussels (my favourite team) are doing unexpectedly good but nobody reasonable sees this team as a serious treat for Anderlecht. Avoiding relegation remains the main target for the Jupiler League's youngest team. Furhtermore Brussels had an easy beginning of the competition. The fact that Genk has a good start too could mean more of a treat for Anderlecht, but it's still early days.
Menwhile last years' runners-up Standard are still without a win. In their fourth match they played 1-1 at hom against last year surprise team Zulte-Waregem. Standard after missing the CL and the start of the season is already in crisis and coach Boskamp may well be the first to get the sack this season.

The ranking after 4 matches:

Totaal Klassement (10/06/06 - 30/05/07) #WVG+-+/-Ptn1Anderlecht (AND) 44001055122Racing Genk (GNK) 4301826103Brussels (FCB) 4301523104Westerlo (WES) 421196375Moeskroen (MOE) 421187176Charleroi (CHA) 421154177Club Brugge (BRU) 422094568G. Beerschot (GBA) 422034-169Lokeren (LOK) 4103541610Roeselare (ROE) 4112880511Bergen (MON) 4121440412Sint-Truiden (STV) 412168-2413Zulte Waregem (ZWA) 412146-2414AA Gent (GNT) 4121410-6415Beveren (BEV) 413037-4316Standard (STA) 402246-2217Cercle Brugge (CER) 403125-3118Lierse (LIE) 403116-51

i'm still sad that standard didnt win the championship last season.and now they will probably face a harder season than last year.

i hope they improve soon.

Where did Kompany go again? Hamburg?

And where did Wilhelmsson go? He was a great player, always hoped Celtic would sign the guy.

FD

Fd, Kompany went to Hamburg...he's already injured. This is a strange thing that happens to most Belgian players who go to a club from a bigger competition: they are constantly injured...(Van Damme in England and Germany, De Vlieger in England, Nilis in England, Vander Heyden in Germany, Sonck in Germany, and i'm sure i forget some...van Buyten and Buffel seem to be the only exceptions).

Wilhelmsson went to Nantes, this is a strange transfer, he went from a club who plays CL virtually every year to a club who the last years is nearer to relegation than European football. i know this is because of the higher salary but he could have chosen another club. think Wilhelmsson gambled and lost, he hoped to playa cracker of a world cup but i wa hardly in Sweden's starting eleven...

Anderlecht have replaced him by Mbarek Boussoufa who IMHO is a much better player: his technical abilities are better than Wilhelmsson's and on top of that he is a real team player whereas Wilhelmsson was more of an individualistic player...Boussoufa could becomeone of the Cl's revelations (but Wilhelmsson would be a better player for Scottish football, Boussoufa is very small).
A question FD, how is Buffel doing this season???

Ernestito: Standard face a very touch season...i think they won't even succede in qualifying for the UEFA Cup unless they win the Belgian Cup.

Gerd, is the Persian Mr. Bayat (Once in charge of Charleroi football club I believe) still there?

I thought I read that he's not.. but I don't have time to search it and thought I'd ask you.

p.s. Any news of where Belgian-Italian Roberto Bisconti may end up? As far as I know he's a free agent since Nice released him last summer.

Thanks for that Gerd. ;)

Buffel has started off well for Rangers, but really bad in front of goal, he's missed a hatful of chances. Actually he was dropped for the last game, so guess if he doesn't get his house in order with the goals then he may find himself shunted out.

Boyd is their main goalscorer, actually at the moment he's their only one. Prso will still be a main player but another guilty party in front of goal, Lee Martin and Chris Burke will most probably keep him out of any wide positions.

FD

Thanks FD...
PLF: Bayat is still in Charleroi (actually there are two Bayat's in Charleroi).

About Bisconti: i heard a rumour that Troyes was interested in signing him

Couple of questions for you Gerd, if you don't mind.

There are two late arrivals to the Juve squad for the upcoming season, by the names of Miguel and Junior. They came from Standard Luik, what can you tell me about them?

Also is Onwauchi Benjamin still active in Belgium, what ever happened to him?

Thanks in advance.

Miguel and junior are two Standard players who are training for a week with Juventus Don,they are not transfers....last year Mémé Tchité and Onyewu went for a week to Juventus...i haven't got the faintest clue why Standard does this. Junior has played for Anderlecht and Stoke City and has a brother who's playing (well at least last year) for Man Utd...

Never heard of Onwauchi Benjamin to be honest...

Whoa this is the most (in)famous player of Brussels.
A couple of months ago he was a national item in every paper and even in the news (and not the sports section) here in Belgium.
What happened???
The chairman of FC Brussels is Johan Vermeersch. Compared to him the late Jesus Gil of Atletico Madrid was a big softie...
Vermeersch is never happy and always interferes in the dressing room. During one of his endless rants Zola Matumona had the audacity to interrupt him. Vermeersch simply said to him to shut up, climb back in his tree and to continue eating bannanas...Zola Matumona went to the same lawyer who counceled JM Bosman and made a complaint for racist behavior...
In the end it never came before court, he just got a better contract, but he rarely ever played...he's not bad in Belgium (although he played for the worst team of the Jupiler League, i'm sorry to say..next week Brussels will probably be officially relegated)but IMHO he's not good enough to play in the Premiership (or the Championship)...but if i say something like that, there is a chance that in couple of years Zola Matumona plays for Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal...
I'm so furious about that useless chairman...he's such a depotic person. In the winter transfer window there was not a single player who already played in Belgium that wanted to come to Brussels...i understand that, i would never want to work for a person like that. On top of that, Brussels had one very good , promising young player. Steve Colpaert whould have been the captain of our team that took the 3d place in the European Championship for youth teams (England played with Leroy Lita in that tournament, it was last year in Holland). In one of the last training sessions before the tournament Colpaert had a very, very serious knee injury (he still can't play). A couple of months ago, a news paper published an interview with Colpaert. Colpaert talked about the fact that he hasn't much support from the club in his revalidation...Vermeersch intstantly fired him...

Exactly what you say: that he's a big idiot and a bully.
On the other hand, he has his good points too. For example when he stated that he is not a racist, everybody believes him.
Brussels' stadium is in Molenbeek, a suburb of Brussels. Molenbeek is one the poorest parts of Brussels and has lots of Maroccan immigrants. Brussels (the football team) has all sorts of social programs for the childeren of these poor immigrants (they are the Belgian Charlton Athletic).
As you might know i do this professionally but only in Flanders (Antwerp, Brugge, Gent, but not Brussels) and everybody agrees that the team that has the best social working in Belgium is FC Brussels...all that is the work of Vermeersch...
But was is really infuriating is the fact that Brussels has the best youth teams in Belgium, all the good players move to other clubs (Haroun, Fellaini, Vanden Borre, Kompany, Makalamby)...the only that didn't was Colpaert...

Stan is gone AWOL...he was last seen in the company of Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones and Chuck E Weiss in 1979 after the recording of a Tom Waits' Small Change album. I think it was in Antwerp...

....:-pp:-pp:-pp

But maybe i can help you my American friend.
According to journalists Gooch became a better football player this year. He got individual training and became better with the ball on foot. Gooch still has the occasionally "black-out" however...and then he either makes mistakes in his positioning or makes unnecessary fouls resulting in yellow and red cards. He and Sengalese Sarr where a pretty effective central duo in Standards' defense.

But the fact that Standard became champion was largely due to their very young midfield: Defour (the general: 20 years old), Fellaini (a sort of Roy Keane, both Real Madrid and Man Utd are interested in him, 21 years old), Axel Witsel ( physically and technically very strong19 years old) and Reginald Goreux (20 years old). I'm not sure if the fact that such a young team (they also have Mulemo on left back and Dieumerci Mbokani as a forward who are barely 21 years old) can become champions is due to the obvious weakness of the Jupiler League or that those players effectively are all very talented...

In UEFA Cup Standard was eliminated by Zenith St. Petersburg, but they are playing the semi-finals, so i don't think they are a weak team.

The big question is if all those players will stay in Standard (Gooch will probably stay, he has bad memories about his stint a Newcastle United). Players like Fellaini and Defour want to play CL with Standard.
Problem is that Standard will have to play a qualification match in august at the same time as the Olympics. Belgian qualified for the first team in maybe 50 years for the Olympic football tournament and Defour, Fellaini, Witsel, Goreux, Mulemo and (maybe) even Mbokani could all play for the Olympic team...this would weaken Standard terribly. Without all these important players they haven't got a chance to play in the Champions League...if they refuse to go to Beijing, the Belgian olympic team (in a group with Brazil, China and New Zealand) will be ridiculized in the football tournament...tough decisions.

It certainly is good thing that after 25 years Standard have become champions again, because traditionally Standard is Belgium's second club after Anderlecht but before Brugge. The fact that a team with a considerably lesser budget (than Anderlecht, Brugge and Genk) is good too. And the fact that they did it with players from their own youth academy is good too (albeit that Defour comes from Genk and Fellaini from Brussels).

They showed a little clip of Standard winning the league on Eurogoals the other day.

How do you think they'll do in the champions league?

Will they be the laughing stock of Europe!?!? :)

They showed a little clip of Standard winning the league on Eurogoals the other day.

How do you think they'll do in the champions league?

Will they be the laughing stock of Europe!?!? :)

I think Standard will not qualify for the CL, since the qualifying matches are held at the same moment of the Olympics in Beijing and half the Standard team is part of the Olympic team....and for once Belgium qualified....

If they qualify, they could well be the laughing stock, but they have veruy good, very young players who have a big potential i think: Defour, Fellaini, Witsel...

Back
Top Bottom