L.A. Noire

It reminds of the first AC, good idea, good tech, some good atmosphere but fundamentally dull and repetitive.

I guess and LAnoir2 could be awsome if they put more action and maybe more Hresque.

It's not about the gameplay.
I loved how the homicide story was built. Great atmosphere.

I'm surprise that people complain about the "go there and do that".
How is it with other games of the genre ? It's the exact same thing !

The atmosphere is great....during an interrogation or cutscene.

Otherwise the entire city of LA feels lifeless and dull. Yes there is great attention to detail but it means nothing if the city itself has nothing to discover. (Apart from the landmarks). Even the AI citizens are boring and more repetitive in their utterances than other open world games.

I have already heard the 'If olives come from an olive tree where does baby oil come from?' and the 'An Irishman, a Scotsman and an Englishman walked into a bar' a dozen times.

To be honest apart from the side missions there really is no need for the open world setting. It would have worked fine moving from one case/suspect to the other with a small area to play in.

If I want good storylines and acting, I'll watch a movie or TV show.

Gameplay is what keeps me interested in video games - the above is a nice bonus to have, but not essential whatsoever.

LA Noire seems to be nothing special in the gameplay department, so I'll be giving it a miss. What is there even to do after the story?

Gameplay is what keeps me interested in video games - the above is a nice bonus to have, but not essential whatsoever.

"If I want realistic football then I'll go outside and play it for real".

It's the same argument. Plenty of people enjoy FIFA despite it being hugely detached from real football. Because you make a distinct connection between the two when playing, and try to apply what you know from real football (or tennis) to the game, you cannot enjoy the gameplay.

The same is absolutely true about deep and engaging storylines. Some people find the shite stories you almost always get in games a real turn-off, or just sigh and put up with it/skip the cutscenes.

I'm still waiting for my copy of this but as long as the gameplay is serviceable and the storyline, presentation and atmosphere is as committed and competent as the gaming industry desperately needs, I'll be hooked.

At least Team Bondi brought something new to the table with the face tech. It is head turning and hopefully it'll be more accessible to most devs in the near future.

"If I want realistic football then I'll go outside and play it for real".

It's the same argument. Plenty of people enjoy FIFA despite it being hugely detached from real football. Because you make a distinct connection between the two when playing, and try to apply what you know from real football (or tennis) to the game, you cannot enjoy the gameplay.

The same is absolutely true about deep and engaging storylines. Some people find the shite stories you almost always get in games a real turn-off, or just sigh and put up with it/skip the cutscenes.

I'm still waiting for my copy of this but as long as the gameplay is serviceable and the storyline, presentation and atmosphere is as committed and competent as the gaming industry desperately needs, I'll be hooked.

I suppose you're right, but some of the games I've most enjoyed have had ridiculous plots so I suppose I'm not that into "engaging storylines", although Assassin's Creed 2 had me paying attention to all of the cutscenes (great game!).
The Mario series is probably the most popular video game series ever, and I couldn't think of a game with a more basic plot.

LA Noire was never going to be a "sim" in the same way a sports game could be anyway, so I'm not sure that the idea of real-world logic being applied in the game would be relevant - especially as in the long run, your decisions don't really make much of a difference as you can get to the same ending anyway (from what I've heard). It seems like any dumbass could solve the cases in LA Noire, almost impossible to fail.

It's something different and of course has its audience, but for me it's in no way worth full-price.
The game has zero multiplayer features, so you won't be missing out whatsoever by waiting a few months/years and picking it up for a fiver, this type of game doesn't get "outdated" either in the way PES/FIFA would so at the minute it's just a big waste of money IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose you're right, but some of the games I've most enjoyed have had ridiculous plots so I suppose I'm not that into "engaging storylines", although Assassin's Creed 2 had me paying attention to all of the cutscenes (great game!).
The Mario series is probably the most popular video game series ever, and I couldn't think of a game with a more basic plot.

LA Noire was never going to be a "sim" in the same way a sports game could be anyway, so I'm not sure that the idea of real-world logic being applied in the game would be relevant - especially as in the long run, your decisions don't really make much of a difference as you can get to the same ending anyway (from what I've heard). It seems like any dumbass could solve the cases in LA Noire, almost impossible to fail.

It's something different and of course has its audience, but for me it's in no way worth full-price.
The game has zero multiplayer features, so you won't be missing out whatsoever by waiting a few months/years and picking it up for a fiver, this type of game doesn't get "outdated" either in the way PES/FIFA would so at the minute it's just a big waste of money IMO.

Like i said, it sounds like your after a RPG game. This game has about 20+hours of gameplay. more then most.

For me i love it. its a great game. it looks shit graphically but dont care about that as the gameplay, storyline and presentation is spot on.
in terms of fifa/PES. those games SHOULD be a sim IMO. cant understand why no one wants to develope a football sim.

Theirs plenty of racing sims and other sports genra's aimed at sims so im shocked and surprised there is not a single footy sim dispite football being more popular if not the most popular sport in the world.

i truelly believe that if FIFA/PES was pure sim. it would still sell millions.

I dont think the game looks shit. The major problem is the lighting.
Daylight it looks a bit like a cartoon.
Our expectations are high but it seems that the graphical evolution will not happen before Gta V.

Well I'm enjoying it.

Me too. I think its a great game. Easily one of the best of the year so far. However it could have been even better if they made some adjustments and improvements.

For those who haven't got it yet, and have both consoles, the ps3 version is to one to get according to DF on Eurogamer.

By the sounds of the comments I'll wait till it get's a bit cheaper and then give it a go.

The game would be much better if it was a PS3 exclusive. Xbox 360 games are not good enough for todays, tecnologicaly speaking. Only PS3 exclusives will worth something until next generation of consoles.

It's the concept of something separate from pure gameplay that ties you to the experience. I wasn't talking literally about realism (though ultimately it is still about the suspension of disbelief), rather the concept that gameplay isn't always enough. In this case, it's not realism we're talking about - it's not trying to be a cop sim - but the believability that you are acting out a crime drama in that location. If it had crap voice acting, or cartoony body language, or appalling writing, then it wouldn't give you that feeling at all.

There are people who would say that Shadow of the Colossus wasn't the most 'fun' game they'd ever played - that the gameplay wasn't triple distilled entertainment and that they'd played games that handled platforming better. They'll point out that there were no small enemies to fight in between 'bosses', and that they've played games that gave you tighter control over horse riding. But a lot of those people will swear blind that SotC was one of the greatest games they'd ever played. I'm certainly one of them.

Fair enough. But for me this is exactly the opposite of how I approach such things. I don't care about lack of MP - it has no place in a game like this whatsoever. It'd be like trying to put space marines in No Country For Old Men, or making chess real time.

What I care about is the experience it offers, above and beyond what games usually manage when they try to act like they've made something cinematic. I see games like this as absolutely effing crucial to the evolution of the industry as a whole, particularly for attracting genuine acting and scriptwriting talent. Once this tech is more widely available and affordable we should see the dramatic floodgates open - and I can't bloody wait.

LA Noire seems to be nothing special in the gameplay department, so I'll be giving it a miss. What is there even to do after the story?

There's nothing to do after beating the game. Waste of money IMO. 12 - 20 hours of gameplay and then what? Where is the replay value?

How many people really replay games anyway? I don't know anyone who finishes a game and then goes back, especially as there are so many other games to play these days.

An online component at the very least. Red Dead and GTA had it. Why not Noire?

Fair enough. But for me this is exactly the opposite of how I approach such things. I don't care about lack of MP - it has no place in a game like this whatsoever. It'd be like trying to put space marines in No Country For Old Men, or making chess real time.
I know that.

The point I was making was that this game is a real waste of money at the minute.

As an example - if you buy FIFA 08 now, it'll be cheap (almost free...) but it will be almost obsolete, with terribly outdated squads, and half of the features missing (no online play).

Contrast that to buying games such as Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Assassin's Creed 2 now, and you'll get those games very cheaply, and they will be no more outdated than they were on their release dates - all of the content and features will be the same, in fact there are "Game of the Year" editions which include all extra DLC so you'd get even more content than the original release.

LA Noire will fall into that second category, making it pointless to purchase at this moment in time unless you don't value your money.

I know that.

The point I was making was that this game is a real waste of money at the minute.

As an example - if you buy FIFA 08 now, it'll be cheap (almost free...) but it will be almost obsolete, with terribly outdated squads, and half of the features missing (no online play).

Contrast that to buying games such as Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Assassin's Creed 2 now, and you'll get those games very cheaply, and they will be no more outdated than they were on their release dates - all of the content and features will be the same, in fact there are "Game of the Year" editions which include all extra DLC so you'd get even more content than the original release.

LA Noire will fall into that second category, making it pointless to purchase at this moment in time unless you don't value your money.

What a stupid statement. So those that bought the game at launch 'don't value their money'?

I bought the game for £31.99 and to me its worth every penny and i'm sure many others here will think the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultimately if it wasn't for the people buying these sorts of games at launch, then generic, unimaginative bullshit like CoD or annual sports titles would be the only types of game you would see on the market at the top end.

If it wasn't for the people who found plenty of value in titles like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, then you wouldn't be able to buy The Last Guardian for a tenner a year or so after it comes out.

What a stupid statement. So those that bought the game at launch 'don't value their money'?

I bought the game for £31.99 and to me its worth every penny and i'm sure many others here will think the same.

Just because i'm wealthy enough to buy games at launch at their price doesn't mean I don't value or respect my money. I can assure you that I do far more helpful and sensible things with it then you ever will.

Totally agree.

I picked this up at launch and am loving it.

Cost me 21 quid as I traded in the pes 2011 that was gathering dust.

Even at 40 quid it is worth it. Can't even get a night out for 40 quid nowadays.

Folk expect too much for too little.

It's the concept of something separate from pure gameplay that ties you to the experience. I wasn't talking literally about realism (though ultimately it is still about the suspension of disbelief), rather the concept that gameplay isn't always enough. In this case, it's not realism we're talking about - it's not trying to be a cop sim - but the believability that you are acting out a crime drama in that location. If it had crap voice acting, or cartoony body language, or appalling writing, then it wouldn't give you that feeling at all.

There are people who would say that Shadow of the Colossus wasn't the most 'fun' game they'd ever played - that the gameplay wasn't triple distilled entertainment and that they'd played games that handled platforming better. They'll point out that there were no small enemies to fight in between 'bosses', and that they've played games that gave you tighter control over horse riding. But a lot of those people will swear blind that SotC was one of the greatest games they'd ever played. I'm certainly one of them.

What I care about is the experience it offers, above and beyond what games usually manage when they try to act like they've made something cinematic. I see games like this as absolutely effing crucial to the evolution of the industry as a whole, particularly for attracting genuine acting and scriptwriting talent. Once this tech is more widely available and affordable we should see the dramatic floodgates open - and I can't bloody wait.

That's a fantastic post that resumes my thoughts exactly. You freed me of having to write all that, so thanks!

I value my money and I'm enjoying the game. It's not a masterpiece and has it's shortcomings for sure, but the stories in it are far more interesting than the stories in most of the other games. And I too can't wait for the dramatic floodgates to open. Nice statement Romagnoli.

Back
Top Bottom