La Liga - this weekend

Whoa, Sevilla are actually winning a game without Reyes..!

And whoa.. Baptista has scored all four goals in an hour, any more to come? :shock:

barca put in a terrific first half performance tonight,
full of party tricks ronaldinho even did his trick from the advert!

Yeah man i'm loving the advert trick

Valencia still lead, although level on points with Real. The former goes top because they have a better record this season in matches against the latter!!

i bet barca wish they had more games left im sure they would catch them the way they are playing next season could definetly bring barca the title

We have one of the best runs in form easily. Just a short while ago they managed 12 league wins and 3 other wins in a row, which was rather good for a team that has been mainly dire for the last coupla seasons

I'm optimistic anyway regarding next season, although we need to improve the form in europe, the Celtic loss was a right pain, things all went doolally, what with the red crads and the young celtic keeper and all that :shock:

yes but they need to keep the team together! is klivert still out of there at the end of the season?
van bronkhurst back to arsenal although im sure they will let him go with cole and clichy, davids has been playing really his arrival seemed to coinside with the teams run do barca have first option on him?

jamie_mack said:
yes but they need to keep the team together! is klivert still out of there at the end of the season?
van bronkhurst back to arsenal although im sure they will let him go with cole and clichy, davids has been playing really his arrival seemed to coinside with the teams run do barca have first option on him?
Yes Barca have first option on Davids! And they are looking to keep him, and he's said his first choice is Barca.. so... <the missing fingers crossed smilie!>

As for Kluivert.. he could go and i wouldn't miss him much, we will be signing another striker in the summer no doubt, and we have plenty of attacking mifielders and of course the mighty Saviola :)

Van Bronckhorst? He's ok, we can do better.

ronaldinho played great?

what is this advert you're talking about?

is it the ole from nike, portugal vs brazil?

I'll look forward in ESPN today to see what he did

dinho is the best

This is marvellous, Figo off, Ronnie taking care of business, and an away win at the Bernabeu which could just about give Valencia the tile instead of todays losers!

This calls for me to get absolutely plastered... Tomorrow.

I see that Baptista who got 4 goals last week scored again this weekend.. but the team he was facing, their striker David Villa got 4 this week! :shock:

i liked the derby, not the best but a good game, real madrid played great before figo was sent off, in the first half barca were very lucky, cause real madrid deserved a goal

later in second half, ronaldinho started to play, and you know what happens when 'dinho' plays ;)

zidane missed a clear chance in first half, and beckham was shit, shit moves, shit passes, shit everything

also saviola was like in another planet, not in bernabeu, even kluivert coming back from injury played better

next season, i hope a better derby

congrats barça

i wouldnt say beckham was shit, he played better than most of his team mates! (including zizu!) madrid missed ronaldo, what has happened to raul this season but the telling factor was a moment of class by ronaldinho! puyol diving was a bit naughty though!

It looked like a dive but why was he in so much pain that he had to be subbed off? Surely, it's not just because of the Solari tackle. :-k

Victor Valdes was the MotM for me. :mryellow:

ronaldinho played well after figo was sent off. so many one on one chance for barca at the end. it was funny to see them waste so many chance!
nice'un Ronnie!!!!

I didn't see Puyol dive, Solari should have walked for that one. Figo deserved his red card as well. There was an incident in the second half where Beckham tried to pretend van Bronkhorst had booted him up into the air, that's a dive.

Zidane had a bit of an off day, gave the ball away a few times with silly passes. Both Barcelona goals were preventable, both were caused by a single member of Madrid's defense failing to come out and play the offside trap like the rest had done, and as has been said they did this all night, Barca should have had 3 or 4 by full time.

Excellent set-up by Ronaldinho for the winner, I was kinda glad. I do hope they win the league, but can't see it myself.

At the moment I think Ronaldinho is the best player in the world, for what he's brought to Barca this season. I'm proud to think our team managed to knock them out over two games in Europe..............then get knocked out by Villareal. :mrgreen:

FD

Espanyol 3-1 Atlético Madrid
Fredson, Raducanu (2) (ESP); Torres (ATL)
Málaga 1-1 Deportivo La Coruña
Víctor (DEP); Canabal (MAL)
Real Betis 2-1 Real Sociedad
Benjamín, Dani (BET); Nihat (RSO)
Celta de Vigo 1-0 Osasuna
Muñoz (CEL - Owngoal)
Racing de Santander 0-2 Albacete
Pacheco, Redondo (ALB)
Real Valladolid 1-3 Real Mallorca
Delibasic, Correa (2) (MAL), Chema (VAL)
Villarreal 1-0 Murcia
Quique Álvarez (VIL)
Real Zaragoza 4-4 Sevilla
Casquero (2), Baptista, Carlos (SEV); Villa (4) (ZAR)
Real Madrid 1-2 Barcelona
Solari (RMA); Kluivert, Xavi (BAR)
Athletic Bilbao 1-1 Valencia
Jorge López (VAL); Del Horno (ATH)

1. Valencia 71
2. Real Madrid 70
3. Barcelona 66
4. Deportivo 62

5. Athletic Bilbao 52
6. Osasuna 48

7. Atlético Madrid 48
8. Villarreal 47
9. Málaga 47
10. Sevilla 46
11. Real Betis 46
12. Albacete 40
13. Real Sociedad 40
14. Real Mallorca 39
15. Racing de Santander 39
16. Real Zaragoza 39
17. Real Valladolid 37
18. Espanyol 37
19. Celta de Vigo 36
20. Real Murcia 20
[/b]

Fred_Gavioes said:
ronaldinho is playin great, helping barca a lot, how old is he? lol he still so young, but carrys a great responsability...

24 I think

Real Madrid turned down the chance to sign Ronaldinho because he was "too ugly".

Ronaldinho shoves jibes back in Real's faces

Real Madrid turned down the chance to sign Ronaldinho because he was "too ugly". They'll be regretting that now, writes Sid Lowe.

Monday April 26, 2004

Ronaldinho: having the last laugh now

According to one heavyweight member of Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez's entourage, Barcelona's goofily grinning Brazilian Ronaldinho is "too ugly" to be a galáctico. Never mind that he is outrageously talented, wonderful to watch, and Spain's most impressive performer this year. Or that Roberto Carlos insists he is "the No1, as good as Ronaldo and Rivaldo at just 24." Or that Iván Helguera, one of the few honest footballers left, says: "Ronaldinho is more than good enough to play for Madrid."
Never mind all that. Pérez claimed that Madrid "never" went for Ronaldinho, but we all know what "never" means in Pérezish (especially if it is repeated seven times) and Madrid did indeed think about the Brazilian in the summer - only to decide he was a little rough on the eye and heavy on the pocket. So it was that a club bigwig told El País's Diego Torres: "How ugly is Ronaldinho?! There was no point buying him, it wasn't worth it. He's so ugly that he'd sink you as a brand. Between Ronaldinho and Beckham, I'd go for Beckham a hundred times. Just look how handsome Beckham is, the class he has, the image. The whole of Asia has fallen in love with us because of Beckham. Ronaldinho is too ugly."

Which is rather comic coming from the club trying to promote Juanfran to the first team. More importantly, it sums up much of what's wrong with Real Madrid; something that was amply demonstrated at the Santiago Bernabéu last night as Barça faced "Galactic" Real Madrid in what the press described as Star Wars, or - and here comes the cunning pun - "War of the Galaxies", as it's known in Spain.

But while Ronaldinho may have been playing Ja-Ja Binks, he has the personality, charm and charisma to have proven a marketing phenomenon at Barcelona, where he has sold more shirts than any other player over the last four years (put together). Far from sinking brands, he enhances them: who else would smile to the cameras as he does a million kick-ups while climbing the stone steps of Spain's most holy shrine, the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela, pausing to complete the trick with an overhead kick at the top - smashing a window in the process? And still have the charm to melt the Archbishop, who didn't even mind (who asked for an autograph, in fact)?

And there were to be more great tricks last night when, with just five minutes left, Ronaldinho produced an outrageous scooped pass which left Xavi Hernández completely free in Madrid's penalty area, where he leapt and scored a neat outside-of-the-foot lobbed volley to make it 2-1 to Barcelona - securing their first Bernabéu derby win for seven years. It was also their fifteenth game without defeat, carrying them to just four points behind their bitterest rivals, who they had trailed by 28 points at the turn of the year.

No wonder the pro-Barça press is going wild. The Catalan daily Sport - that's a Catalan daily called Sport, not a Catalan edition of the 'bus on the moon' UK phenomenon - screams "¡FANTASTICO!", while Mundo Deportivo gleefully declares: "Take that, Madrid!"

Yet, in truth it wasn't Barça's best performance of the season. And it certainly wasn't Ronaldinho's. He stayed surprisingly wide, where he was superbly marshaled by Míchel Salgado - asked to do a man-to-man job by Carlos Queiroz - and, despite some isolated and insane skills, thrills and fancy flicks, didn't really have a major impact until he began to drift inside during the final twenty minutes. But, then, as Sport put it: "A second's magic was enough".

And, they might have added, a second's madness. Madrid were extremely unlucky to lose an incredible match, where they boasted two thirds of the 42 (yes, forty-two) shots - one of which Roberto Carlos thundered in from all of six yards, only for Carles Puyol to block with his head, again proving the infinite value of comedy wig protection.

"Puyol must be the only player in the world who gets shot in the head and just stands there," whimpered Madrid's sporting director Jorge Valdano. And even though Kluivert got an equaliser with his first touch, the turning point - much to the glee of Barça fans - was a moment's red card-inducing madness from Luis Figo. Already booked for complaining that a lightening quick save from Victor Valdés had gone over the line (it hadn't), he flew crazily into Puyol, studs up, with twenty minutes left.

"Thanks Figo", giggled this morning's Sport, finally achieving closure. "It's nice of you to do Madrid such a huge favour. Instead of renouncing his status as a Barcelona soci, president Laporta should make Luis an honorary member Maybe he's still a Barça player at heart; maybe he decided to help us out subliminally".

Maybe not: Figo was furious, accusing referee Alfonso Pérez Burrull of being "arrogant". "He came here with bad intentions right from the start", fumed Figo, that always furrowed brow practically becoming a canyon, tears running down his cheeks. "He didn't blow anything at all in our favour - he knew what he was doing and it was he who decided the game. This keeps happening."

All of which was rather ironic for the man who once celebrated a Barça triumph by dyeing his hair purple and red, grabbing the microphone on a balcony over the Plaça San Jaume and shouting: "White cry babies, salute the champions!" The clamouring culés below loved it; Figo was one of them.

No more. And the heartbreak of losing Figo is finally subsiding: there is a new, if rather ugly King in town.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/continental/story/0,8018,1203797,00.html

denirobob said:
Real Madrid turned down the chance to sign Ronaldinho because he was "too ugly".

Ronaldinho shoves jibes back in Real's faces

Real Madrid turned down the chance to sign Ronaldinho because he was "too ugly". They'll be regretting that now, writes Sid Lowe.

Monday April 26, 2004

Ronaldinho: having the last laugh now

According to one.....................Yada Yada Yada...........No more. And the heartbreak of losing Figo is finally subsiding: there is a new, if rather ugly King in town.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/continental/story/0,8018,1203797,00.html

SUCKAS!
mr-t.gif

Another defeat for Real 2-0 to depor goals from tristan(29) and capdevilla(68) Zi Zu was sent off for two bookable offences(41) looks like thats it for there la liga hopes 3 games left a point behind valencia who have a game in hand against Real Betis tonight!

Back
Top Bottom