Lack of coverage

K

kingpug

Does anyone know why there are very little football games on in the UK? I mean the premiership have their own PPV channel yet everytime I see what is on, sometimes it is just the single match, is this right or am I confused?

Now for example, today we have the top 2 playing yet it isn't on TV, while Aston Villa against Tottenham is on PPV? Sky show more championship games than they do EPL games. They also show alot more sports than they do football.

I don't understand the way it works, today I seen a hockey match on BBC1, golf on BBC2 and horse racing on channel 4 all at the same time, yet not one football match from neither EPL or SPL?

Also not to forget the fact that when Rangers played Porto, not only did they have it on ITV but also on Sky sports 2, now when the champions league is on I expect to see more than 2 games on TV, that is just riduclous.

They don't have a problem with showing a 10 hour cricket match 5 times over 5 weeks, or whatever it was, they also don't have a problem showing hours upon hours of boring golf, yet they don't show football?

Am I right in saying football is the most popular sport in the world?

So does anyone know why we don't get that much football?

The games are picked before the season you donut, you can't pick and choose at the time because then it would be the same teams every week.

Football is on every week and is saturated as it is.

You want more?

Why?....

Milanista said:
Of course people would want more.

No. People just want their team to be on more.

There is a difference. 18 other premiership fans aren't likely to watch it.. with alot of the people who would watch it will be at the game.

Jacko said:
The games are picked before the season you donut, you can't pick and choose at the time because then it would be the same teams every week.

Football is on every week and is saturated as it is.

You want more?

Why?....

How the fuck would I know that like you donut, seriously if your going to be an idiot why bother replying?

Every week, yea 1-2 games, now what I call saturated, ofcourse I want more, are you kidding?

This place is getting worse, can't make threads without some moron coming in. And no I don't want my team on more seeing as I ain't got one, I just want to be able to watch more football rather than 1 game a week.

And plus the fact each club has fans from allover the world, now do you expect them to travel from, for example India to London every week?

Jacko, Im a Milan fan but I try to watch any match on tv. We get the full EPL coverage here, and theres no harm watching almost all the games. They cant force the millions of club fans to fit into a stadium, so atleast show it on tv so ppl who live elsewhere can watch it within the UK.

What EPL games could you watch on TV today Milanista?

And I agree with what you said, some football fan if you only watch your own team. My cousin supports Rangers yet he watches any games, that is just rubbish about only watching your own club.

Its a sad case that the british consumer almost always seems to be shafted by companies compared to the other countries. We blatantly pay significantly more than most (e.g. cars, petrol, services etc..) and yet nothing is done to change things. And its not like we are getting more for our money - quite the opposite really(!) :(

Simple things like TV - my cousin (in the US) cracked up when he heard what we pay for a moderate selection in channels....:(

kingpug said:
How the fuck would I know that like you donut, seriously if your going to be an idiot why bother replying?
I knew, but then I'm a "know it all". :mrgreen:

There is tons of football on. Live games, you have at least:

1 La Liga match every week
1 Serie A match every week
1 EPL match every week

If you have Setanta, you can throw in at least:

1 SPL game every week
1 Ligue 1 game every week

You have Gazzetta Football Italia magazine program, Football Focus, Match of the Day, Eurogoals on Eurosport, etc, etc, etc.

The whole EPL on Saturdays thing is due to the FA not wanting the attendances to drop, although it doesn't appear to be working judging by the amount of EPL games I've seen already this season with a lot of half-empty stadiums (Sunderland's first game back in the top flight, at home FFS!).

Not sure how it works but wouldn't be surprised if in Italy, Spain, and everywhere else, they didn't get a live game during 'regular' match time, i.e. like 3pm Saturday in this country.

Champions' League you can watch any game you want live, and if you don't have Sky Digital you still have 2 live games on Sky one matchday and another 2 on the other, in addition to live games on ITV1 and ITV2.

I dont know where your reasoning for this post comes, with sky sports this week for example u get:
2 EPL games
2 cup games with EPL teams
2 prem plus game
3 La Liga games
Setanta :
1 SPL game
2 French league games
1 Seria A game
Bravo :
1 Seria A game

Total :14 games from the best leagues in Europe

now I would like to see more yea like everyone but cmon its not the end of the world, we do get some decent choices . I relise that their isnt cup games every week , but next week we get European games on a Tuesday through Thursday. If u really want to see more games get a new satalite reciever capable of picking up other signals ie FTA channels ....Cmon just deal with it

Plus, if you look hard enough on the web you can find a stream for most matches (although for some reason most of the sites and streams seem to be down nowadays)

foxtrot said:
Add 1 live Bundesliga to that Setanta list. And they also show Ajax vs PSV live only for some reason.

yep for got about "ze germans" , when is the Ajax v PSV game, I remember something about the Dutch league been shown on setanta

Well you can watch all the games you want as long as you have the money.
Of course I hate this, but I can't do a thing about it. If I don't pay I can only see here in portugal one match of the Liga (Portuguese league) on a free tv per week. And it sucks like hell.

So yeah there is lack of coverage for those that can't afford paying every month god knows how much to watch the games one wants to see.

Well I ain't complaining, I don't know how it is in England right now but i'm here in Canada paying for normal cable TV plus my 2 satelites and I'm very happy with coverage I get of course you always want more though lol.

For example in a given weekend, I get 5 EPL matches, 6 Serie A, 3-4 La Liga, 1 Bundesliga :( and 2 Ligue 1 matches.

Now for me this is enough as I don't have more time to watch anymore and seeing as how the top 5 leagues in the world are covered i'm very happy but still being a soccer freak I do wish i could watch more Eredivisie matches or occasionally Portuguese league but it's not possible and I ain't sweating over it because to me the top 5 are very important to keep up with which I get plus Brazilian/Argentinian league which I also get descent coverage of and can follow to some degree when I have more time.

This is of course just matches but I get shit load of Football shows and highlights show for each league every week so all in all I'm very happy :D because 5 years ago I could only follow EPL and La Liga religiously but now living on this side of the world no longer has its football consequences ;)

I think perhaps the argument of this is, why is there a lack of coverage on terrestrial TV. Sure there's loads of Football on SKY. But one has to subscribe to the "Evil Empire" in order to get it. I personally think it's a monopoly, and too expensive. I would like to see a terrestrial channel bidding for rights to show at least a few Premiership matches. As it is, they only show, domestic cup, European cup and Internaional matches. And they are few and far between. I fear one day Sky will by the World Cup, and that will be very sad indeed.

Professor Nutmeg said:
I think perhaps the argument of this is, why is there a lack of coverage on terrestrial TV. Sure there's loads of Football on SKY. But one has to subscribe to the "Evil Empire" in order to get it. I personally think it's a monopoly, and too expensive. I would like to see a terrestrial channel bidding for rights to show at least a few Premiership matches. As it is, they only show, domestic cup, European cup and Internaional matches. And they are few and far between. I fear one day Sky will by the World Cup, and that will be very sad indeed.

The terrstrial channels had the chance to buy up to 10 games this season including a BIG game but they couldn't even afford to buy single game.

As for the world cup it (I think I am right in saying this) is law that terrestrial TV must show the World Cup, Euro championships, FA cup final and Oylmpics so if SKY do want to show them they would have to do it alongside the terrestrial channel that buys the rights.

PLF said:
Well I ain't complaining, I don't know how it is in England right now but i'm here in Canada paying for normal cable TV plus my 2 satelites and I'm very happy with coverage I get of course you always want more though lol.

For example in a given weekend, I get 5 EPL matches, 6 Serie A, 3-4 La Liga, 1 Bundesliga :( and 2 Ligue 1 matches.

Now for me this is enough as I don't have more time to watch anymore and seeing as how the top 5 leagues in the world are covered i'm very happy but still being a soccer freak I do wish i could watch more Eredivisie matches or occasionally Portuguese league but it's not possible and I ain't sweating over it because to me the top 5 are very important to keep up with which I get plus Brazilian/Argentinian league which I also get descent coverage of and can follow to some degree when I have more time.

This is of course just matches but I get shit load of Football shows and highlights show for each league every week so all in all I'm very happy :D because 5 years ago I could only follow EPL and La Liga religiously but now living on this side of the world no longer has its football consequences ;)

M8 your post doesnt have any point here , we r talking bout the uk, If u looked abouve u would have seen how many games we get.

Yes I realize it was about UK but I figured it's not totally off topic if I also talk about what kinda coverage I get now.

Surely it shouldn't bother you. :shock:

Hi chaps,

I think its good to find out what other countries are getting in terms of coverage although it is a tad galling to discover the UK is quite a way behind many other's in terms of different leagues.

I got up at 5am this morning (not deliberately..its a long story) and saw th e second half of PSG v ST Etienne on French Football on Channel 4.

That for me is part of the problem here, that the coverage is quite often treated with disdain & contempt e.g. random kick offs, "as" live, joining the match 5-10 mins late etc.. - think the latter days of Football Italia on C4 or even British Eurosport and their French or Italian matches from the last few years.

In Portugal you can get Sport TV which basically has 4 Superliga games each weekend plus shedloads of others (Live matches) from around Europe.

In the UK even the highlight programmes (which are treated better imo) get shifted around time wise - Eurogoals went missing during US Open for instance and Revista De La Liga often gets moved about too.

db

PLF said:
Yes I realize it was about UK but I figured it's not totally off topic if I also talk about what kinda coverage I get now.

Surely it shouldn't bother you. :shock:

No m8 not really, yea your right tho sry m8 bit of an overeacted post from my pov.

That's alright man we all say some things sometimes when we act on emotions in any moment of time without really thinking it through.

@DB, that match was great man, its too bad you missed 1st half and it's sad to hear they dont treat the coverage with much respect and i'm kinda surprised that they do stuff like that in a football-hungry country like England.

Calm down! Due to UEFA laws, the 3pm Saturday games are not allowed to be aired on TV, becuase then not enough people owuld bother to go to see other games. For example, say Man Utd are playing on Saturday @3pm, many people would/might stay home instead and watch this match, instead of going to their local club(usually a minnow team from Championship, League 1, OCnference etc). This means those teams will loose revenue.

This rule applies in other European leagues as a well I think. But Sky get to show many of the good games i.e. Chelsea, Man utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle games, but not all of them.

To cut a long story short, if they showed all EPL games on TV in UK, no one would actually go to watch football games in stadiums.

And talking about TV rights, apprently what SKy have is a monoply which is against EU laws, and so for the next round of EPL rights, EU wants to allow Sky only 50% max of the rights. I dont really like this idea, It should be owned all by Sky and some games sold onto Terrestrial, or PPV Terrestrial. Because Sky pay £1bn over 3 years, this money is good for the EPL clubs, especially with Chel$ki around. They pay this vast amount only becuause it is "exclusive", i.e. no one else shows it. If it isnt exculsive, i.e. it gets shared, the amount the clubs will recieve will drop vastly, costing maybe the lower EPL sides a lot of money. Sky have a good case, as Canal+ have bought the "exclusive" rights to the Ligue 1 recently for 1.3bn euros, and EU have said nothing about that yet.

So kingpug, you understand?
If you want more footy, get Setanta on Sky or NTL, its £14, or a £140 for a year, you got lot of Eurpean games.

Or if you really want those 3pm KO's you could get foreign channels, but thats a completely different story....

Yeah Milanista's right, its not a UEFA law, its an English FA ruling.

Anyway, move to Ireland, we get Setanta as part of our basic cable package and they show a Saturday 3pm kick-off every 2 weeks, another terrestrial channel shows a game the weeks Setanta dont, so its all good.

I understand, but it is just bad, that is like us getting more coverage of the bundesliga than Germans, I am pretty sure they will be pissed. Ah well, money beats everything so what can you do, soon every game will be PPV.

How is this going to improve the attendances? I mean if people could go to games they would, watching the game on TV is nothing compared to being in the stadium. Yet again how can the fans from allover the world attend the game live? just a bullshit move by the FA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom