Laptop Advice - September 2011

R

Rob92

I'm going to Uni in September, I'm going to be doing Computing - it'll be mainly programming, but in the later years there may be some work on 3D modelling/game development if I choose to do that.

I'll be needing a laptop (can't get a desktop, portability is required) which is fairly high-spec and durable.

Here's some of my current specs from dxdiag;
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model: R530/R730
BIOS: Phoenix SecureCore(tm) NB Version 02JD.M006.20091222.KSJ
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3004MB RAM
Page File: 1759MB used, 4246MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DISPLAY
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_C06D144D&REV_09
Display Memory: 1310 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1246 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I think the CPU and GPU need a big upgrade - I'd like to be able to play some of the latest games (not that I'd sit and play games during my time at uni, just for a bit of casual fun), doesn't have to be max settings, but my current setup struggles to cope with some games which are over 5 years old.

My budget is about £700, but I'd push it a bit if something spectacular were available.

Needs to be competent specs-wise for the duration of my course (4 years) and not fall apart (heard Acer/Dell suck in this regard). Not bothered about it being small/lightweight, in fact I'd prefer something a bit more sturdy with a larger screen :).

Is it worth waiting a few months yet? Will prices drop?

Any recommendations on laptops or advice on where to ask appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
MacBook Pro :)).
I thought you'd say that :P.

Just had a look on the Apple site...
"13-inch. Starts from £999"

:CONFUSE:

Just lowered my budget slightly in the OP, considering making do with my current laptop for a term or two, or using the Uni facilities until I know for sure that I need something with a bit more muscle.

Quad-cores are coming in now as well, might mean high-spec dual-cores will be going cheap if I wait?

MacBook or a MacBook Pro with Student Discount. I believe its 14% or 15% and in September they usually give a free 8GB iPod Touch and a free printer too! You could eBay both and put the money in the bank or invest it wisely in some shares.

Got myself a Macbook Pro when I started uni back in 2006 - very powerful machine that's great for entertainment too. Most apps now have a Mac equivalent, and if not, there are ways of running Windows without hassle.

As mentioned, student discount is around 15%.

Anyway - they are expensive machines.

For cheaper ones, I heard HP's middle-cheap range are extremely cheaply made or poorly designed, such as very hot metals near the keyboard areas. I've heard that their middle-higher range is good, same goes for Vaio and Dell XPS'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom