The Last Of Us: Part 2 [PS4]

Watched the 11 hours of cutscenes.

+ Graphics look great. One of the best on the PS4 currently.
+ Gameplay looks somewhat the same as in TLOU wich was fine.
+ The Joel and Ellie flashbacks are heartmelting, i have no idea why didnt they put them in the prologue to make Joel's death more meaningful.
- Characters are out of sync compared to the first game
- Joel the most cautious, vicious character of the first game walks into an obvious trap, he never trusted anyone. He comes off as an idiot, gets a bullshit death
(i agree Joel could have died but how about writing like it falls in line with its character, where hed be still smart, perhaps sacraficing himself for Ellie)
- The game one and only theme is revenge is bad and all the characters, events are vehicles to deliver that message, banging your head in ever 30 mins, which again compared to the first game...to what happened to Joel and Sarah....then to Ellie ...then the relationship between Joel and Ellie...then the sacrafice at the end...compared to that its a shlock and generic.
- All the side characters are useless, again introduced for a bit then they get killed and forgotten, then through a flashbacks you get something about them to feel bad about your action. Phew, who cares at that point?
- Abby could have been an interesting character but yeah once again no build up to her character, you get to explore her once she comes off as the most
devilish person on Earth. Who wants to play her after that really?
- Dina was boring as hell and even Ellie next to her, nothing interesting about their relationship compared to Joel and Ellie or hell even Joel and Sarah in the first game.
- In general most of the dialogues were boring between characters i dont care about since they arent presented well and/or get killed off very soon. If the writers dont care about them why should i?
- Everyone is pregnant in this game :LMAO: more people get pregnant in this game than in a soap opera's 20 season
- Some of the dialogues are horrendous....flat...boring.
- No pay off at the end. I get what they went for but once again after killing 100s of people, innocent ones, pregnant ones, you spare your "fathers" killer who just bit off your fingers? Makes no sense. Both Ellie and Abby should have died ...or just Dina somehow, someone innocent you know...you know like in American History X where others paid for your action, that movie was well presented revenge and its consequences.
- POOR WRITING. Never imagined to top TLOU but this was a mess and yes you got to compare this to that.

Sorry but the story is worse than the leaks.
As for the low metacritic score i wouldnt say the whole ND staff deserves it as many developers put hard work and effort into it and has nothing to do with it. But how the company and/or Sony handled the leaks by striking down twitter accounts, youtube channels with copyright claims who were just covering the story (not even showing stuff so not breaking copyright laws) is low key shady.

TLOU's story (im not fan of the tube gameplay) is a masterpiece compared to this, and im currently completing Uncharetd 4 which is in the making to be the best ND game for me story+gameplay wise. Not sure whats happening at ND but their next game will be a turning point.

Last edited:
Why dont you guys try to trade it or buy it from second hand? In my country is very common that people just play these story driven games once then sell it or trade it.
Yes. Good idea. Some users might sell it after owning it for a few days only.

Gamestop Germany has a 10 bucks offer too. Bring 2 games, pay 10 bucks, the game is yours.
2 cheap LEGO games from their list should do fine. 2x15 euro at eBay + 10 bucks = 40 for the Game.

This is pretty awesome tho

The Take on Me was good..
Can't say I remember any of the others.

I am very nearly at the end of the game now as notched up 20 hours - I love being furloughed.
Should easily be able to complete the game by the end of the week.
I won't give any spoilers away but will just give it a score out of 10.

The Take on Me was good..
Can't say I remember any of the others.

I am very nearly at the end of the game now as notched up 20 hours - I love being furloughed.
Should easily be able to complete the game by the end of the week.
I won't give any spoilers away but will just give it a score out of 10.

Thing is you can play many real songs on the guitar thats not even supposed to be in the game if you know what i mean. Pretty detailed feature from ND.

Finished the game 21 hours and 48 mins.

Will wait till more people finish it before discussing further, as I know majority probably won't finish for another month or so.

But as for rating 7/10.

Screenshot_20200626-110928_Chrome.jpg
Even though I said before I might buy the game just to annoy the haters, I probably won't, too many games in the backlog, including the first one. But if ND actually caved to some bullshit like this I would not touch it with a pole. Jesus Christ I get it, you hate the game, get over it and move on.

Last edited:
View attachment 48575
Even though I said before I might buy the game just to annoy the haters, I probably won't, too many games in the backlog, including the first one. But if ND actually caved to some bullshit like this I would not touch it with a pole. Jesus Christ I get it, you hate the game, get over it and move on.

Its ok to do this but i doubt it would ever happen. I would just rather proceed with extreme caution with any ND game from this point, same rule applies for any Star Wars stuff for me. Bet with your wallet as always.

Ok not shitting anymore in this game but the first game - ridicilous as it sounds - made me feel first time like i understand what might means to be a dad.
So just a fair warning before anyone buys TLOU2 and deeply cares about the main characters,
they are nothing like in the first game, their decisions, actions, characteristics, relationship in the first game were overwritten and neglected in the second one.

1:19-1:56

You will find no traces of these in the second game. To be honest the first game was a complete one, but they wanted to make a new one and probably thats why they overwritten the already resolved relationship issues to create new ones, just to make the plot move forward.

Even ND confirms Ellie knew at the end Joel was lying so all the snapping at him once she finds out the truth in TLOU2 also doesnt make any sense.
Joel was dead inside after Sarah's death, Ellie wanted to have some meaning to her life as she felt guilty being immune, even at the cost her being sacraficed.
But during the whole damn time she was looking for the love of Joel and by the end of the game they accept each other as family, not even the fireflies or the vaccine, the world or any lies matter as the mean the world to eachother.

The original ending that for a long time we discussed is Ellie would believe the lie and you’d see them walking off to Tommy’s town and the camera would track up and you’d feel like, they’re going to be okay. It was about a week before we shot that scene and we thought, this isn’t honest, this doesn’t feel right, Ellie would know, I don’t buy it, we have to change this.

This is an Ashley thing but no matter what the acting direction is, she’s going to nod her head and be like, ‘okay…okay’. And throughout shooting, a lot of her improvisation for Ellie involved saying, ‘okay’. And I thought, you have to end on that. Whatever it is Joel tells her, she has to just be like, ‘okay’.
https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...ginning-ending-and-slightly-alternate-ending/

Last edited:
Whoever played it through im curious

Simply based on this trailer I instantly pitched a much more coherent story ->
Act 1: develop Dina's and Ellie's relationship while Joel is in hiding as hes the most wanted dude of the Fireflies. At the end of the act make the Fireflies kill of Dina off screen but make sure you never see whos done it.
Act 2: develop Abby from young age, keep her as the daughter of SOMEONE who got butchered in the past (dont reveal the tie in to TLOU so you wont be biased towards Joel), make this as an investigation/coming of age and travel like act, keep her story and tie it in to the ambush on Dina to reveal she kills Dina (by accident) and that she was looking for someone else. Make her impacted by her actions, make her human like. This way you will get attached to her and youll get mixed feelings towards her and more important you understand her.
Act 3: Ellie is on the path of revenge to find Dina's murder and to find out why and who did it, meanwhile Joel comes out of the hiding to help her. Keep the distancing between the two developing their relationship and keep Ellie still mad at him because of his action in the past. That makes the last act more impactful.
Act 3+1: Find Abby where Ellie finds out she killed Dina, however also Joel confesses its his fault as they came for him in the first place rightfully and so he feels responsible also for Dina's death.
Ending: Pick either Abby and kill Joel or spare Joel, either pick Ellie and kill or spare Abby.

BOOM INSTANT CLASSIC

Last edited:
Some people say gamers are bad, and some gamers actively try to prove them right. Here is a voice actress getting actual death threats for something her character does in the game.

I hope she reported them.
Some people say gamers people are bad, and some gamers people actively try to prove them right. Here is a voice actress getting actual death threats for something her character does in the game.

Slight correction, i dont prefer groupping people unreasonably, gaming has usually no effect on the tendency of making death threats. These are just not well parented people imo.

I just finished this game on Sunday and I can't get it out of my head (in a good, thought-provoking way). I think God of War, Spider-Man, and Uncharted 4 are the more "accessible" Sony first-party titles of this generation (hell, I've played through Uncharted 4 three or four times!), but that TLOU2 will be the benchmark for console exclusives for quite a while and will end up being the defining PS4 exclusive of this generation (partially because of how it is being received now, and partially for how it will (most likely) be received when it is re-released for PS5 (it's gonna happen).

I poured over 60 hours into it on my first playthrough (completionist/take my time through the survival horror parts) and at no point did I feel put off by the story and or bored of the gameplay. It's not often that a videogame transcends its medium to be discussed and revered in the same way we discuss other contemporary cultural works of art (e.g., for me that's a movie like The Dark Knight or a TV show like Breaking Bad) and I definitely believe that TLOU2 has achieved that status.

@gabe.paul.logan, I can understand that the story it's telling is not for everyone, but even divisive stories can be appreciated when the level of polish throughout the game -- the acting, the character animations, the gameplay mechanics, the narrative pacing, the level design, the environments, etc. -- is so damn impressive. Have you played it yet? Will you reconsider playing it if you haven't? Would love to read your thoughts after you play through it because I think that watching the cutscenes by themselves won't provide you with a good feel for the game. Just my two cents.

I just finished this game on Sunday and I can't get it out of my head (in a good, thought-provoking way). I think God of War, Spider-Man, and Uncharted 4 are the more "accessible" Sony first-party titles of this generation (hell, I've played through Uncharted 4 three or four times!), but that TLOU2 will be the benchmark for console exclusives for quite a while and will end up being the defining PS4 exclusive of this generation (partially because of how it is being received now, and partially for how it will (most likely) be received when it is re-released for PS5 (it's gonna happen).

I poured over 60 hours into it on my first playthrough (completionist/take my time through the survival horror parts) and at no point did I feel put off by the story and or bored of the gameplay. It's not often that a videogame transcends its medium to be discussed and revered in the same way we discuss other contemporary cultural works of art (e.g., for me that's a movie like The Dark Knight or a TV show like Breaking Bad) and I definitely believe that TLOU2 has achieved that status.

@gabe.paul.logan, I can understand that the story it's telling is not for everyone, but even divisive stories can be appreciated when the level of polish throughout the game -- the acting, the character animations, the gameplay mechanics, the narrative pacing, the level design, the environments, etc. -- is so damn impressive. Have you played it yet? Will you reconsider playing it if you haven't? Would love to read your thoughts after you play through it because I think that watching the cutscenes by themselves won't provide you with a good feel for the game. Just my two cents.

I dont doubt that for me and in general anything besides the actual story, characters and how it is told is AAA. Perhaps one day ill play it when its a PS plus game or PS hits with 10 bucks.

I enjoyed it but the story was a bit off at places.

The whole get 2 players to play through multiple missions to then don't all again just was stupid.

FD

Small vent alert. I don't know if this will offend some(obvious) fans here (I really hope it doesn't), but this is my biggest regret of spending 20 dollars (black friday discount) on a triple-A game, like, ever. Sure, Cyberpunk would be worse, but thankfully I haven't spent a single dime on that one... I only wish I had played this faster so I could (maybe) try to get a refund. My hard earned money would definitely be better spent on whatever... bass strings, or hell, groceries. But at the same time, I'm glad I waited, as I could've spent a full 60 bucks on this game, and THEN I'd be really triggered.

The writing and narrative are just extremely convoluted. Character development is non-existent. I mean, one can feel empathy for Abby, but it's impossible to feel any sympathy... Or some sense of attachment to any of her john/jane doe friends (possibly for the doggo in the aquarium, but just because it's a dog. It's unrelated to the story), all of which Ellie just murder over the first half of the game. Also, not because of what Abby goes through with her own father's murder (by the hands of the first game main protagonist Joel), but because everything (story wise) is just awfully paced. The chapters are badly sequenced, since the game is abruptly divided as you hit mid-point. They could have been shuffled way better, in a way (I believe) you could (big maybe here) "grow" some liking for the other main character (Abby), if only her story would be better developed.
As some reviewer wisely said, the game purely resorts to "shock + surprise" vs. "suspense + substance", and by only resorting to the first "combo", results in the biggest proof of the game's extremely poor writing... You are "forced" to play / like Abby, and it just doesn't work. The shocking / "GOTCHA!" moments are total Rian-freakin'-Johnson-The-Last-Jedi type material... It's a pathetic moral way of telling how violence and revenge are wrong, but doesn't even let you choose on how to end it. Which is expected of Naughty Dog's absurdly linear games, although TLOU 1 got that perfectly right. This was a poor attempt (although successful) to milk yet another franchise, and it maddens me how that Neil Druckmann fella probably (and literally) milked millions out of this mediocre game... But it pisses me off even more (and thanks @Isslander for the twitter link) that the actress who played Abby got those despicable threats. I hope those "people" get to answer (criminally) for that stuff... I also just like to point out that a Sony representative (on behalf of Naughty Dog) "contacted" (in lack of a better word) media outlets like Polygon and Vice for being more critical to the game story in their own reviews, and not automatically giving it a perfect 10/10 score. Which just goes to show that there are no saints involved in all this debacle.

Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Story: 1/10
Accessibility: 10/10 - even a blind (yes, blind... not only colorblind) person can play this game with sound cues. That's incredible.
Total Average: 6/10 (not a sum/divide of the game elements previously cited, but a close number, only by coincidence)

It this was a book instead, it would be the subject of utter ridicule. Since it's a game with a few other trivial elements, it gets a pass.

Last edited:
Confirmed as a remaster being released for the PS5 - Also assuming this will mean a PC release around June - September time
$10 in price and being released in January.

Native PS5 enhancements
Built for the PS5 console, The Last of Us Part II Remastered enhances the original PS4 game in ways not possible before, including:
• A host of graphical improvements bring the beautiful-yet-dangerous world to life.
• Visual performance now outputs at 4K in Fidelity Mode.
• Improved loading times more quickly let you jump into action.
• Full DualSense™ wireless controller integration.
No Return – A Roguelike Survival Mode
Experience The Last of Us Part II’s deep combat via an entirely new mode! Survive as long as you can in each run, as you choose your path through a series of randomized encounters. Play as a host of different unlockable characters, some never-before playable in The Last of Us franchise, each with unique gameplay traits. The variety of challenges feature different foes and memorable locations from throughout Part II, all culminating in tense boss battles.
New ways to play
Delve deeper into this beloved adventure and learn how the original game was created.
• Lost Levels lets you explore early-development versions of three new levels not seen in the original.
• Enjoy hours of new developer commentary to hear insights into Part II’s development as you experience the game.
• Live up to your musical potential with Guitar Free Play, which includes new unlockable instruments, or take on the new Speedrun Mode* and post your best times.
• Descriptive Audio** and Speech to Vibrations have also been added to Part II's suite of accessibility features.
• The Last of Us Part II Remastered also features brand new unlockable character and weapon skins for players to use for both Ellie and Abby.

Strange that the person who me and @Placebo thought should of been playing Ellie is now playing Abbie

lastofus-abby-blogroll-2-1704761194711.jpg

She should of been Ellie.
She looks nothing like Abby - Abby needs to have the build of someone like Ronda Rousey but obviously can act.

It really depends on how the break up the second game's story. Craig and Neil have said that the Part II will be broken up into two seasons, so maybe they primarily focus on telling Ellie's story for S2 and only give us glimpses of Abby and then switch to her perspective for S3?

My guess is that they'll schedule S2 to block shoot (i.e., shooting multiple episodes concurrently that use the same location on each shoot day) as much as possible with Bella and in doing so give Kaitlyn more time to bulk up for the payoff in S3. They can always show her pivotal scene(s) with Joel in Wyoming and "hide" her body with layered costuming and camera angles to convey muscle. Industry-specific personal trainers can help their clients start seeing significant results in as little as 3-4 months, so it reasons that her bulking up would time out well with shooting her scenes later in the year. S1 took about a year to film, so I think Kaitlyn has a good amount of time to get into shape for the role.

Kaitlyn has a pretty petite frame, it's just not feasible she will bulk up to anything kind the levels that Abby has in the game, I don't think it's physically possible, I think it'll be more about "metaphorical" bulk in her performance.

Back
Top Bottom