Le Championnat

Professor Nutmeg

ML Fanatic
3 July 2002
Master League
I like French football, so i'm going to talk about it. ;) Those likeminded, feel free to join in.

Anyone see any coverage of the Coupe de France? Some good games/interesting results, notably, Marseille (the most successful French Cup side) losing at home to Ligue 2 side Angers (2-3). Non league amateurs, Nimes beating Saint-Etienne (the 2nd most successful French Cup side) 3-2 after coming back from 2-0 down........oh and maybe Seysinet Pariset 0 - 7 Monaco. :mrgreen:

Vive la difference! :)

What's your favourite French team Prof??? I always liked Nantes and at the moment i'm fond of Metz because my favourite French player (Riberry) is playing for them and because they have loads of youngsters.
Till five years ago i lived in Gent which is only an hour away from Lille, so once in a while i went to see matches of LOSC but then they were a bad team. Now they seem rather good.

But of course the best French team is Lyon. I think they could surprise in the CL.

The thing i like the best about French football is the fact that French clubs have lots of (very promising) African players.

Hi gerd. Yeah, Lille seem to go up and down. A few years ago they were in the Champions League, then after that, nothing special. But now they're enjoying a good run in 2nd spot.

Maybe an odd choice, but i've always kind of like PSG. I think it's because i like Paris as a city, and i loved seeing Okocha and Ronaldinho together (01-02 season). Many players have passed through PSG too, including Stéphane Dalmat, who i've always liked. Having said that, St Etienne are a classic side aren't they. They're clawing their way back to the big time, trying to rediscover their glory years. They were in trouble earlier on in the season, but they've notched up a few places now. Sochaux always seem to have an interesting squad too.
I like to look at the smaller teams too, like SC Bastia etc, and see the upcoming talents. And yes, a good pool of young African players to see as well.

hi chaps

Love ligue 1 and french footie in general. Not keen on Channel 4 though who seem to have bought the rights from Eurosport who covered it v well last year and stick matches on at 3am!

Hopefully Eurosport will continue to show the French Cup though.

Don't have a Fav team really, but have always been fond of Bordeaux, especially when they had the Feinduno and Darcheville partnership last season.

Db

Rarely get to watch it but enjoy reading up on it and watching the odd game immensely. Like gerd, I love the youth policies of a lot of clubs (which also explains my fondness of Sevilla and Atalanta).

Don't have any particular favourites either but I've always liked Sochaux (Mathieu).

I lie Bordeaux too Bob. They have one of the best young midfielders in Mavuba and Chamakh's geat too (so like Pauleta).

Just to let people know, if you have Sky (UK) you can now watch some live Ligue 1 matches on Record TV (Brazilian Channel) most weekends (Saturday and Sunday) - eg at the moment its showing PSG v Toulouse (KO was 7-00pm) (Channel Number is 830 - But the commentary is Portuguese). There is one tomorrow to (a vivo = live match), probably Marseille v Nice.

Nah, there might be one on the net but i just use the sky guide and press the info button, it doesnt say who is playing but if it says "a vivo" it means the match is live.

That Mourad Meghni has been quite good in Serie A.... he might really be what people say... the new Zidane.

And where is Stephane Dalmat now? Last time i remember was at Inter.

cfdh_edmundo said:
Just to let people know, if you have Sky (UK) you can now watch some live Ligue 1 matches on Record TV (Brazilian Channel) most weekends (Saturday and Sunday) - eg at the moment its showing PSG v Toulouse (KO was 7-00pm) (Channel Number is 830 - But the commentary is Portuguese). There is one tomorrow to (a vivo = live match), probably Marseille v Nice.

hi mate, excellent news!

It'll be a damn site better than that fat orange chap Raul Gil that and that newspresenter who over emphasises his mouth movements when he speaks.

cheers

Db

More Ligue 1 now at 18:00 GMT on Sky channel 830

Footy overload. 2 La Liga matches, a Serie A match and a Ligue 1 match, all on this evening. Plus a Serie A game and Premiership game earlier today. :shock:

They do french football on ITV1 on wednesday but it is late at night between 3 - 4 am.

Professor Nutmeg said:
Yeah i know, but it's a bit of an antisocial hour really ;) It's better live too.

The live game on now is AJ Auxerre vs Sochaux.

hi mate

this is a bit of a swizz actually as this game is from yesterday

wont tell u the score though ;)

db

denirobob said:
hi mate

this is a bit of a swizz actually as this game is from yesterday

wont tell u the score though ;)

db

You're right, what a swizz! They should have shown the south coast Marseille v Nice derby.

Still, good to know they show Ligue 1.

Dommage..

Milanista, i'm quite fond of Dhorasoo...
Did anyone watch the Auxerre-Sochaux match. Pieroni plays for Auxerre. Last year he become top scorer in Belgium, he was a lower division player before that. He was the surprise player of that season. I wonder how he did, usually he's a substitute, but if he comes on he scores fairly regularly.

About Lyon, very very good team, could be this years surprise package in the CL.

ScottBrown said:
Let's hope its live this time.

Going slightly off-topic, they also show Brazil Paulista matches. Palmeiras V Santo André tommorow evening at 5:50

yep def live tonight, hopefully lille v lyon will be on tomorrow too. Shame they are clearly commentating from a tv studio in Brazil... reminds me of Football Italia on Channel 4 and ray wilkins.........good afternoon Peter good afternoon everybody etc..

denirobob said:
yep def live tonight, hopefully lille v lyon will be on tomorrow too. Shame they are clearly commentating from a tv studio in Brazil... reminds me of Football Italia on Channel 4 and ray wilkins.........good afternoon Peter good afternoon everybody etc..

Yeah it does sound bad and the scores keep coming along the bottom of the screen. I should stop moaning, its better than nothing.

gerd said:
Milanista, i'm quite fond of Dhorasoo...

Even though Milan lost on the weekend to Livorno..... his performance was excellent. Very quick and determined. Hes a very clean player who is very good at evading challenges. Suprise signing of the year for me :D

Last year i saw him in the CL match against Anderlecht (in Lyon) and i was impressed by him, he was easily the best player on the field. I had never heard of him before. Since then i followed him a litle bit and i have to say i'm not that surprised Milan bought him. Does anyone happen to know where he played before Lyon???

Back
Top Bottom