Leagues with lowest attendance

total

International
10 December 2005
Slovenia
Arsenal/OGC Nice
Which on is it in your opinion? I'd also like to see people post about poor attendance in their league.

I'll start with the Slovene league which is surely one with the lowest attendance possible. You can count the games where the attendance is more than 1000 people. Yes, 1000. The most common attendance is around 500 people even on those stadiums that can have more than 2 - 3k seats (which is a lot for Slovenia ;) ).

What's sad though is that this is our 1st league and that a lot more people visit lower division matches. I remember this year there was a derby in our 5th league and 3000 people showed up.

Our biggest stadium? 15k seats. :roll:

MLS, i think avg attendence is around 15k... the sad thing is, most of the stadiums are 50k plus... so they look empty..

Scottish lower leagues are pretty poor. The SPL aint much better for some of the teams either, around 5k for some and in the case of Kilmarnock around 3k.

Portuguese league attendances are so poor. Even the 3 biggest stadiums are rarely full. But seeing a 30k stadium with 5000 people and sometimes less is worrying.

Revan said:
Portuguese league attendances are so poor. Even the 3 biggest stadiums are rarely full. But seeing a 30k stadium with 5000 people and sometimes less is worrying.

the same in turkey.fener has good attendance, bjk and gala both are average.

and in anatolia its very poor.especially in ankara, capital of turkey.

Welsh Premier League eclipses that, you'd be lucky to find 300 in attendance for any match. :lol:

Revan said:

Not Benfica and Porto, Benfica has the major attedence avarage of 50k in an 65k stadium, Porto is the seme thing.

Sp. Braga, Gil Vicente, Boavista, Vitória de Setubal and Guimarães sometimes have a great attendance. ;)

We can't have more attendances because the price of the tickets are very expensive!

average attendance of german first division 05/06

1 Borussia Dortmund________72.627
2 FC Bayern München_______67.560
3 FC Schalke 04____________61.244
4 Hamburger SV____________52.630
5 1.FC Köln________________48.853
6 Borussia M'gladbach_______47.743
7 Hertha BSC Berlin_________46.992
8 Eintracht Frankfurt________41.863
9 Werder Bremen___________39.540
10 VfB Stuttgart____________39.059
11 Hannover 96_____________38.419
12 1.FC Kaiserslautern________33.044
13 1.FC Nürnberg____________32.606
14 MSV Duisburg_____________25.184
15 Bayer 04 Leverkusen_______22.353
16 VfL Wolfsburg_____________22.082
17 DSC Arminia Bielefeld_______21.951
18 1.FSV Mainz 05___________20.165

total average of something slightly above 40k
nothing to complain about here, sorry.;)

1Man Utd.........68,764
2Newcastle.......52,032
3Liverpool.......44,236
4Man City........42,856
5Chelsea.........41,901
6Arsenal.........38,184
7Everton.........36,860
8 Tottenham.......36,073
9 Aston Villa.....34,111
10 Sunderland......33,904
11 West Ham........33,742
12 Middlesbrough...28,463
13 Birmingham......27,392
14 Charlton........26,195
15 West Brom.......25,403
16 Bolton..........25,265
17 Blackburn.......21,015
18 Fulham..........20,654
19 Wigan...........20,609
20 Portsmouth......19,839

Premiership Unofficial Average Attendance: 33,875

Last edited:
French Ligue 1

01 Marseille_____49,731
02 Paris SG______40,486
03 Lyon _________38,465
04 Lens _________34,445
05 Nantes________29,449
06 Saint Etienne_29,111
07 Rennes________25,000
08 Bordeaux______24,247
09 Strasbourg____18,983
10 Toulouse______18,875
11 Nancy_________17,163
12 Metz__________16,039
13 Sochaux_______14,257
14 Troyes________13,795
15 Lille_________13,198
16 Le Mans_______11,437
17 Monaco________11,182
18 Nice__________10,903
19 Auxerre_______10,668
20 Ajaccio________3,414

Average : 20,000 :(

@Tuta, Cloud and OPM,

Can you guys provide sources or links please to support what you've posted. :)

Thanks

p.s. @OPM, based on some of last season's performances and low attendances, I'd say Rudi Voller and the rest of the Leverkusen directors/staff have quite a bit of things to be somewhat concerned about.

Thanks dude.

I guess Arsenal might move up a place or two or more next year being in new bigger stadium and all.

@Tuta, The avg of 10,903 only for "Nice" really surprises me! Cuz when I watch their matches it's usually quite full and they are such passionate and loud fans hard to believe the attendance is that low especially when they've already even begun talking about moving to a new stadium in future I believe.

Last edited:
PLF said:
p.s. @OPM, based on some of last season's performances and low attendances, I'd say Rudi Voller and the rest of the Leverkusen directors/staff have quite a bit of things to be somewhat concerned about.

Don't forget the Bayarena can only hold up to 22.500 people, so it was basically sold out throughout season.

It does? I always thought it was somewhere in 30k's, guess I was wrong.

Damn they need to expand that then. Too small for a club like that.

Is there any plans or talks?

PLF said:
It does? I always thought it was somewhere in 30k's, guess I was wrong.

Damn they need to expand that then. Too small for a club like that.

Is there any plans or talks?

There were, but I guess the club isn't too convinced of the size of their fanbase. I'm sure they could sell out ~35k's though.

Yeah well I can't say for sure if they could do 35k's (you probably know better) but I'm convinced they can probably sell out capacities much bigger than what they have right now. That's a lot of possible revenue the Bayer board is missing out on but then again it also takes a lot of money, time and dedication and careful planning to expand the stadium as well.

Gotta be done though in my opinion, the club is simply too big for a stadium that size and in fact this is a bit of an embarassment and hurts the club's image in some ways. (Think about a player signing for them who is very excited then he finds out the mighty Leverkusen Bay Arena is only that big! It won't change much and he'll still sign and be happy but it is one less positive and impressive thing about the club.)

Last edited:
sadly we won't reach the same high attendance anymore next season, losing big stadiums with cologne and kaiserslautern gone (both ~50k) and aachen + cottbus promoted (both only around 20k)

it's really sad to lose 2 WC-stadiums due to relegation.

about bayer:

there were talks back in last season i think to start expanding to a 30 or 35k stadium, but several reasons stopped it. fanbase problem, money ;) , and of course that originally the german NT should train at leverkusen the at the worldcup until klinsmann changed his mind to berlin some months ago. but i'm pretty sure they are still thinking about it.

It's good to know they're still thinking about it. Is the fanbase really a valid problem? I think they got enough to at least fill a 28-32k stadium, no?

Money of course is another issue and def a valid problem! :D

What about Werder though? Are they thinking about possibly expanding at some point? If I'm not mistaken, their stadium holds around 43k or so and their avg was 39,500k this year approx.

It'd also put the club one more step forward and make it more impressive with a bigger stadium and more impressive attendance.

p.s. Someone should post the Spanish league and Italian one too. Preferable not from 'soccernet' so we can also compare see if they have the same numbers roughly as they do just to have done a lil doublecheck. ;)

They should be able to fill a bigger stadium i think, especially if having success in international competitions. still there is the regional problem with big clubs like moenchngladbach and cologne being really near to leverkusen and having way bigger fanbases that are still growing, even if they playing in a lower league / not as succesful. ;)

I am not sure about Werder. They've got an interesting stadium, but for a club like them (upcoming in europe, ambitionous, strong team) i think they need something new. they are allways sold out on season tickets after just a few days. (i think they put the limit to something between 20-25.000, and they are gone really damn fast.)

i don't think they would have any problems filling a 50k ground. but there's nothing i heard about plans for the next few years.

/oh and btw check out aachen's stadium, even if it is small, dirty and old, still will be really cool to see the big teams fighting for the win in this one :D

wuerselener_wall_02.jpg

blick_10.jpg

http://stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_s...d/alemannia_aachen/images/fotos/aussen_05.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info.

And yeah I think Werder should start thinking about something bigger in future to match their impressive team and ambitions and table finishes and CL football in coming years.

PLF said:
@Tuta, The avg of 10,903 only for "Nice" really surprises me! Cuz when I watch their matches it's usually quite full and they are such passionate and loud fans hard to believe the attendance is that low especially when they've already even begun talking about moving to a new stadium in future I believe.

I don't know. I remember that Nice played a game "à huit clos" (no supporter) against Paris his my memory is correct. But there's still a gap with what you were expected. Last year record was Nice - Marseille with 14,283 and the stadium record is 22,908 people.

The table comes from the official website of the Ligue 1 (http://www.lfp.fr/ligue1/stat/affluence_club.asp. You can click the name of a team to see all its attendances.

Last edited:
The Championship has superb attendance, more than Ligue 1 and Serie A :D

Though theres a team called Darlington in the 4th Tier of English football who have a 28,000 capacity stadium, and rarely get over 4,000

In fact attendances are really high even into non-league football

I really love the old terraced stadiums which they still have in Germany it seems (Tivoli, Westfalenstadion), but all stadiums in the english leagues have to have at least 6,000 seats and in the Premiership they have to be all-seater

@Tuta, the link doesn't work for me. Gives me error 404.

But I gotta say I'm surprised with that and yeah Nice will move to new stadium soon. When? I forget.. but they won't be at Stade Du Ray apparently too much longer.

@Valmir, Championship's attendances are indeed impressive and just shows you how big the league is and how much depth England has when it comes to even 2nd division clubs all the way to conference with so many passionate fans. What do you mean the attendance is higher than Ligue 1 and Serie A though? You mean the total?

I haven't looked at Serie A stats to talk about that but the Ligue 1 avg is 21,678 according to soccernet while championship is around 17k.

If you mean the total though then yes that could be but that's because it has 24 teams instead of 20 so it's a big advantage.

Its the total attendance, which is cheating because of the 4 extra teams :lol:

Its really all because teams like Leeds have come down, and can add 20,000 more fans than say Luton

Valmir said:
The Championship has superb attendance, more than Ligue 1 and Serie A :D

Though theres a team called Darlington in the 4th Tier of English football who have a 28,000 capacity stadium, and rarely get over 4,000

In fact attendances are really high even into non-league football

I really love the old terraced stadiums which they still have in Germany it seems (Tivoli, Westfalenstadion), but all stadiums in the english leagues have to have at least 6,000 seats and in the Premiership they have to be all-seater
I love you avatar mate!!!

csaunders said:
I love you avatar mate!!!

rofl cheers

We love Hahnemann and Convey here, and I'm going to see Italy-USA, so I've sort of adopted USA as my 2nd team, although right now I think I'd feel more upset if USA do badly than if England did

I've been getting into the mood by watching all the USA highlights and also MLS stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom