"line" defense

I accept your opinions guys but I just don't see it. Everything the computer does to me, I do back to the cpu. If your player won't move use super cancel, believe me this is the best thing you can learn how to use. It takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you'll notice the difference big time. I really don't think the cpu cheats but thats my opinion, i'm no fanboy or anything but I think the game is realistic, when your at home you get the majority of the luck and decisions and vice versa when your playing away. The cpu cannot score whenever it wants or we wouldn't win the league and everything practically every season would we? Thats unrealistic!!

"Everything the computer does to me, I do back to the cpu."

Yea but the thing is, when they throw my players around the pitch, piss all happens, yet when I do the same they get a foul. Now this doesnt happen all the time, but believe me, it happens ALOT.

I know what I say is hard to believe, and quite frankly if I didnt experiance this and someone was saying what I say I wouldnt believe them, but I have played this game long enough to realise the CPU is full of shit.

mattster12 said:
I accept your opinions guys but I just don't see it. Everything the computer does to me, I do back to the cpu.

I hear what you’re saying..... but can you tell me how to get the comps striker to stumble so I can steal the ball off him without getting a foul or a booking..... consistently? I love this game LOL...

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm saying "I just don't see it". At the end of the day people see things in different ways, thats why there are so many different opinions in the world LOL. You play the game and think the cpu is cheating, I play the game and think the cpu is realistic. But unless Konami come out and say "YES WE FUCKING CHEAT HA HA HA HA HA" there can never be a right or wrong answer.

kingpug said:
What do you mean a real team does the same, so you watch Chelsea play and then 10 mins to go 1 goal down they all turn into the Peles and Maradonas?..doubt it.
I hate that sooooooooo much. I'm playing a shit team right, the match is going for over 70 minutes but its as soon as I score that the team all of a sudden become Peles and Maradonas like Kingpug said. Its so frustrating.

Another annoying one is when you have a throw in and when you throw to a player, he runs straight at you for no reason and the ball bounces off him to give the opposition a throw in. I mean, I was holding up and the player ran down.

Nick Cave said:
I hear what you’re saying..... but can you tell me how to get the comps striker to stumble so I can steal the ball off him without getting a foul or a booking..... consistently? I love this game LOL...

Well this doesn't happen to me all the time like some people suggest. If your holding down :x: constantly then your gonna give away free kicks. I just use :r1: or :r2: to run with them then just press :x: to nick the ball. Sometimes just running with them makes them stumble like they occasionally do to me. But it doesn't happen all the time, every game like some people say.

mattster12 said:
Sometimes just running with them makes them stumble like they occasionally do to me. But it doesn't happen all the time, every game like some people say.

I'd have to say it does to me, not always and not just when you beat a man as this happens when your about to shoot too... even in the box... yes this happens in real life and players sometimes get away with it but I've had it happen three or four times in a game without anything being given then I've run a player off the ball at the other end without pressing anything and in some cases just moved and taken the ball clean without touching them and get booked!!! Hey maybe it is just me or the way I play..... I keep coming back for more week in week out so it can't be that bad........

LOL yeh, no matter how much people complain they still love the game. Thta poll would be a good idea cos we've sort of hijacked this poor guys thread LOL

Nick Cave said:
I'm guessing your a joypad breaker kinda player Kingpug....... I've been through 6 myself though I put it down to Stella... :)

Nah not really m8, although I do love to bang them off things, which has resulted in me breaking the analog bit on 4 controllers, 1 which was like 2 days old before it got punished 8)

But to be honest, I use an old PS1 controller, and I jab the top of it into my desk, on the PS2 controllers this broke easily, but this wee gray one is going strong.

Plus it doesnt have analog, my dad was wondering why all the analog bits on the others were buckled :D

I dont mind that the CPU get fouls, but I dont even press X most of the time, I just jog into him and he hits the deck, but when the referee whips out a yellow card for this, that just takes the biscuit.

Plus I dont press X, I slide all over the park, but even when you clearly win the ball, the commentators say "oh what a bad tackle from behind" then the referee whips out a yellow, and the tackle was in-front of the CPU player, so behind my arse.

I just dont understand the game, the form as I mentione dis well and truly retarded, the stats aswell..I have had players in my ML team who have 2 yellow stats and the rest white, and they play better than people who have all yellow/orange/red etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont bother with ML cheats. I win almost matches over CPU 6*. And i dont care they cheated or not. Infact, i more play with human. CPU playstyle is boring. If anyone sick with cheats, try play with human :) ---> i afraid someone would still blame opponents cheat if they lost :P

Last edited:
Kingpug what the hell are you talking about??

Never have I in my life NOT read all the posts in a thread before posting a reply to them. Why would you assume I didn't fully read your posts/? I did in fact twice and I'm not convinced.

You slide all over the park lol, that's a great way of giving CPU more fouls because as you can see in general referees are AGAINST sliding tackles and I'd say about 40% of the time even if you get the ball clearly it's STILL a foul, if your player even remotely touched the opposition and how many times have I seen this in real life?? MANY MANY times. In general tackles are considered dangerous especially the ones coming from sides or behind even if you manage to get the ball, the ref MAY call it.

I watched 3 games yesterday and guess what ;) all 3 of them had 3 beautiful tackles and the ref gave foul on all 3 and the player who had made a tackle went into ref's face and kept pointing to the ball and how he got it.

You have to run with R2 and R1 position yourself and at the BEST time, press X and you'll get the ball. Sliding is supposed to be a RARE move in your defence arsenal not something to be used frequently to get the ball. I use it ONLY when I'm dead sure i'll get the ball ususally when opposition payer has knocked the ball too far ahead of them or to block a shot or cross or intercept a pass and it works like a charm.

@RuneEdge, regarding throw-ins, I had same problem a few months back. I'd press X to do the throw in and I'd see my player does such bad touch that the ball goes out for other team. Then I started taking my hand off R1 and direction when pressing X and controlling with L1 and now even a player with poor technique doesn't knock the ball out for cPU throw-in on his first touch.

As far as CPU ever stumblin, I notice if they're running with ball and you're running close to them or from behind and holding R1, they STUMBLE a bit.. and they'll lose the ball if it's a weak person while they'll hold on if its Ronaldo and this is just like real life and we have the same thing. If I'm running with Adriano, tackles and bodychecks are less likely to throw me off the direction of ball and I hold on to it while I play with Sochaux's pacey little striker, they can knock me off the ball sometimes.

@Nick Cave, I agree that we shouldn't be discussing this here. It's about line defence and we've got so much sidetracked.

Finally me and personally a lot of people who play this game LIKE the fact that if CPU is down by one goal their players will TRY harder. They'll even make offensive substitutions bringing in a 3rd striker for a midfielder and you'll SENSE some kinda of URGENCY in their play and their way of defending/tackling which makes the game so much greater in my opinion. After all if you've won first leg and know that a DRAW will take you to finals of FA cup in real life and you're down 1-0. In real life players try their MAX hardest in 70 minutes and on... they run their ass off and this either puts you

1) Under a lot of pressure but you manage to hold on making the game very enjoyable and a classic

2) they put a lot of pressure and score one. You might get pissed off but you just couldn't cope with it cuz CPU didn't say hey i want to SCORE a goal and i WILL. You could've stopped him like in scenario one but this time you weren't good enough, your players didn't play well enough.

3) As CPU becomes more urgent and realize they're running out of time, they press you a lot more when you have possession of ball and attack more vigorously giving you opportunity to launch deadly counter attacks if you maange to hold a couple pacey players up front. So you utilize it well and score one to kill the game.

I've had all these 3 scenarios happen to me and I'm happy whatever the outcome because it was in MY Hands whatever happened hence no cheating. Yeah the CPU DOES try harder and this is natural and I WANT this to be there otherwise game would not be so challenging. It's natural that a team that has nothing to lose will play their skin off and this is what they do. They get a more sense of URGENCY behind them but hell no I don't think for ONE minute they become Peles and their STATS go up. They're just not as patient anymore and wouldn't be happy to pass the ball around patiently and this is perfectly understandable why would they have a patient approach when they're losing and will be kicked out of cup or get relegated or miss out on championship??

The problem IS with people. They can take Scenario #1 and #3 very well yet when #2 happens... all hell breaks loose and they go on about how the players became GODS and their stats went to 90's when simply the CPU became more aggressive and they couldn't cope with it which by the way they could've taken advantage of.

Either way man.. I got plenty to say and I'm happy to hear your views on this stuff too even if you oppose my opinion but do NOT reply to this topic BEFORE you read this WHOLE post especially.

I'm out

PLF, i gotta agree with you. This game, online or offline, is simply amazing!!! i really hope konami do get the license of EPL for the upcoming series.

No the topic isn't about if the game is good or not right now jhata ;). These guys who say it cheats love the game just like us and should have freedom of speech to sayin why it's bad but I personally don't SEE all the cheating and can take a loss while others .. oh well jus read above post of mine and tell me if you agree with that not if the game is good. we all know the game is great but right now topic is this and my post up there pretty much sums up a lot of facts and my opinions.

take care

kingpug said:
plumbers_x you hit the nail on the head, twice :p

Like I said, why is a red form in the ML different to a red form in single match?..

Plus, why do I get more yellows in the ML than I do in single matches?..all the yellow cards I get in the ML are atrocious, aka shoulder barging or sliding from the front.

Why does Henry run fast as fuck when you play him but is slow as fuck when you go him?..while my Henry has red, the CPU has green, explain.

Why can keepers save all the best shots, yet when you go the same team the keeper is shit?..yet again, all using the same form.

Also, why do I stumble like a bit paper in the wind in the ML but not in single matches?..

If anyone can explain these to me, I would be happy.

Thats what I mean PLF, do you have any of this?..

And yea I love the game, but it doesnt take away from the fact the game cheats, and yea some think the same, others dont.

What I would LOVE is for someone like PLF to record a match and let us see, because you must be very lucky if you dont suffer the same crap as us.

hhehee record a whole match i dont know man.. i recorded 10 secs and it came to like 24MB and I still don't know how to compress it. Recording whole match would be crazy.

I think the problem is you guys look at it differenly probably. Your player stumbles and you think OH MY GOD... that never happens in real life basically you're too TENSE when playing the game. It's like you have one mission and that's not to have FUN but to WIN WIN WIN WIN and so when CPU gets ball off you or scores a goal despite being outplayed you're too MAD and think of why it cheats and things like that otherwise we all play the same game and I have clearly stated MY reasons/opinions on why game is good and it doesn't do any of those to me.

Take care

Use virtual dub to compress :p

And yea your right, I have a short temper and playing this game doesnt help, but saying that the game still cheats wether I have a short temper or not.

My cousin plays the game 24/7, and even he says it cheats, I am just shocked about it all, how people say the game doesnt cheat when its so obvious, to me anyway.

I try to have fun, but when you get cheated like this, where is the fun?

Its like playing Counter Strike against wallhackers and aimbots, no fun at all.

I dont mind my players stumbling if:

1 - I get a FK, because when the CPU stumble its a FK
2 - They dont stumble every god damn minute in the ML, I mean seriously, I have played this game for ages and I have never ONCE seen my players stumble so much in one match. Doesnt matter if his balance is 40 or 99, he stumbles constantly.

And its for the most simplest of touches, fair enough if someone tackles him, but just scraping his leg?..doubt it. I know footballers are little pussys, but this game takes the biscuit in terms of player physics.

At the end of the day your never gonna convince me that it cheats in a million years cos I play the game all the time and don't see what your getting at. I was playing again last nite and I payed more attention to see if I could notice some of the things people are saying.

Still couldn't see where your coming from, I made them stumble as much as they do me, the keepers make crap saves for both teams. If you hit across the goalkeeper 90% of the time there gonna parry it. The cpu knows this and it's your job to stop it happening by closing down the space with the gk and positioning your defenders for the inevitable parry to there oncoming striker.

Also whoever said the whistle never goes for the end of the half when the cpu is in possesion was talking bollocks, this opinion I won't accept cos this is just a blatant lie. Many times last nite the whistle was blown while the cpu had the ball and was trying to pull a goal back.

Last point, how do people know that Henry on a green arrow for the cpu runs faster than your Henry with a red arrow. Did you line them up and have a sprint FFS lol? Henry is fast, thats the way it is, him running faster is just your perception. To be honest a lot of people look for the negative in this game especially when losing. If he's just made a fool of your defenders and totally outpaced them he must be cheating hey? You see it as cheating, I see it as totally realistic.

I could go on forever and argue every case of the cpu cheating, cos i don't think there is any. But just as you won't convince me, I won't convince you so I accept some of your views if thats the way you see things but I don't. I think I'm happier player for it, the glass is half full not half empty. In other words don't be so negative all the time and look on the postive side of things and you'll enjoy it more.

Last edited:
There's no 'opinion' on the cheating, it's just how you interpret the actions you see. I get the impression PLF sees it as a challenge, as like in 'real life' anything can happen (players get tired, responsiveness goes, losing team gets an adrenaline rush as they push for a last gasp equaliser, for example). I am more along this way of thinking now, that's how I treat the cheating, because there are times the game does this. The most basic, un-arguable one I can think of is when you play a pass and your player begins to run for the loose ball. He will then suddenly, just for a second, slow down, despite your finger remaining firmly pressed on R1. When the AI player gets into a position to get the ball first, your player is 'released', and regains his full speed.

Like I said, interpret any which way you like, but if you say it doesn't cheat, you're wrong. :)

Please don't tell me I'm fucking wrong, I don't think the way things happen is cheating by the cpu. How can your point be un-arguable, ever heard of super cancel. You've got your view I've got mine, but don't say I'm wrong ffs, cos how can I be wrong on how I see things. Why the fuck are you so all knowing anyway?

I wasn't even referring to yourself directly, it was a general point. How can you be wrong? Because some things are fact, like the sky is above you, the ground is below you, grass is green and also that you're a mouthy tart, that's fact as well.

Explain what's happening then in the situation I described. Super-cancel is when you cancel the pre-determined direction your player is running on and move him manually, that's got sod all to do with chasing a loose ball 10 yards ahead of any player, which you do by running as fast as you can in a straight line.

ClassicD said:
How can you be wrong? Because some things are fact, like the sky is above you, the ground is below you, grass is green and also that you're a mouthy tart, that's fact as well.

Thanks D just spat my coffee all over my keyboard laughing..Hahahah... Must remember that quote ;)

kingpug said:
Now I began a ML on the PC on just 3 stars, and I only managed to play 3 games before I gave in, the amount of times I stumbled was bloody atrocious, the way Bayern Munich scored 3 goals was out of this world.

Thats notting to do with cheating, Bayern just have really good players, i find them difficult to beat in my ML, I always have to be a goal up to make sure i don't lose to them. Thay are a really difficult team to beat.

Last edited:
Mattster wake up and smell the roses ya mouthy little fanboy.

As Classic said, the cpu does cheat, you can interpret that in any way you like. I interpret it as something that ruins the game for me so I usually only play multiplayer because I find it far more enjoyable. I want to be beaten by good moves or intelligent play rather than the traditional Japanese methodology which is to increase the abilities of your opponent to make the game more difficult. They have to lose that mentality a bit for the AI to really go to that next level as it just doesn't exist in football.

Mattster come down dude you made some good points like me ;) but then totally lost it after a GOOD post by ClassicD who wasn't even referring to you.

@Fourtet, we're not FANboys. I've said this many times in this thread and I personally don't give a fuck about Konami and was never one to just disagree upon criticisms cuz it's about our fav game because I know everyone else here loves it too. I'm only arguing this cheating bit because I think it's BULLShit and people just get super pissed when they lose instead of realizing you lose in real life too and if you get beaten in real life by a 90th minute POWREFUL strike from outside the box, you get sad and move on but if it happens in game, I can assure you people will come here and moan about how CPU cheated because they were about to win championship but some player scored and therefore that's cheating.

I guess ClassicD is kinda right about the way you INTERPRET it but I still don't get this. Do you guys NOT want some sort of urgency from CPU in those dying 10-20 minutes when they're about to be knocked out of cup or get relegated or lose a match?? Do you want them to still sit back patiently and pass ball around? Because I sure as hell don't. I want them to give their BEST no even 110% like their manager is yelling to them. they've got nothing to lose and every player should try their best to make it harder for you because they're losing.

This is all just like REAL life that's why I like it. Yet many people once they get that controller in their hands forget about what happens/what doesn't in real life and their main goal is to WIN not have fun and that's when you get into crappy mood because:

- A late goal by CPU will piss you off
- A mistake by your GK will piss you off even though it's part of football and happens to very best teams not to mention you get the same treatment with the wrongdoings of CPU GK.

- Your player stumbles even though you've made opposing striker stumble in box that very same match just as he was about to strike the ball leading him to lose his balance and get the ball and no fouls called either. You do this by RUNNING to them with R1 or pushing htem with R2. In a way it's like bumping to them and I do it even when CPU has a throw-in. They throw it to their guy and i'm standing right behind him. Press his direction and R1 once and my player almost PUSHES him and gets ball.

The list goes on and on and on but i'm quite tired and over with this argument. I've had 4-5 posts where I think I now I've said all I can.

In conclusion, people who have that mentality where all they want to do is WIN will easily get pissed off even by events that reflect real life because to them conceding a goal is cheating because if CPU was trying harder, it's cheating. Why??? If their player scores a nice shot, it means his stats were boosted up? why?? Do you know his stats.

I think this is all in your brains cuz you can't take a good loss and your main objective is to win and not have fun. I mean I try to win as well every game but I accept things that may happen in games in real life at least. Many of you don't so i can't help you with cheating or not.

Take care

mattster12 said:
Please don't tell me I'm fucking wrong, I don't think the way things happen is cheating by the cpu. How can your point be un-arguable, ever heard of super cancel. You've got your view I've got mine, but don't say I'm wrong ffs, cos how can I be wrong on how I see things. Why the fuck are you so all knowing anyway?

you are very wrong

My $.02:
Maybe a lot of this is just semantics. I don't believe there is anything in the game that the AI can do that you can't do. It's just that you are human and have human reflexes, emotions, lapses of memory, whatever... The AI adjusts how many mistakes it makes depending on the star level. So at 6*s, it just rarely makes a mistake. This isn't "cheating", it's "game design".

I also find it hard to believe that the computer causes the ref to be "anti-human", or anti any one particular side (this isn't the NBA ;) ). The arguments about the reffing in the game could just as easily show up in a real-life footy forum. What I'm saying is that one's bias regarding one's own team causes one to see things less than objectively.

This is the last I'm gonna say on this stupid argument.

Classic D seen as you said people who the say the game doesn't cheat are wrong that refers to me so like I said don't tell me I'm wrong. As for the super cancel it works for me and I doubt you've even tried it or you wouldn't have said what you did. It's a load of bollocks saying the cpu uses it to cheat. It does exactly the same thing when playing multiplayer FFS! So who's cheating then? If you lot wanna carry on arguing about something that doesn't happen then go on and waste your time. As for me I'll just carry on enjoying the game and I won't start crying everytime I lose a game. Honestly some people are proper sad, the game doesn't cheat me but I suppose if your shit it cheats all the time!

Back
Top Bottom