LMA Manager DEAD - replaced by Championship Manager?

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Okay, so it's almost definitely not going to be as good as Football Manager, but the graphics on this game have astounded me. Check the video out that runs on this page, some of the animations look fabulous.

But, more importantly, THE PC DEMO IS OUT!! Download HERE. (The 360 demo is also out via Marketplace)

You need to join "Code M", but they don't bombard you with crap if you untick all the boxes (warning though, don't select your favourite games category as "football" or it'll pop up a Javascript at the next page asking you to choose a football team, but it's broken and you won't be able to complete the registration - bit bad for an internationally renowned games company really!!)

Last edited:
  • Staff
Re: LMA Manager 2007

Cheers for the info, didn't know that! Doesn't sound too good then... Every year I see the graphics in this and get sucked in a little. Saying that, after I've seen Tranmere's no-doubt generic faces I'll be back to FM!

hmm, I've played a couple of freindly games as Liverpool in the PC demo and its seems quite comprehensive. Its fun watching the players in 3d, and you can change everything on the fly via shortcuts etc.

All the stadiums are there too, it seems!

I got the demo via gamershell.com, where you don't have to register.

More games are needed before I can make a good enough judgment.

• Staff

Just had a play on the 360 demo... Stopped downloading the PC demo soon after. I was expecting a lot more, the match engine seems the same as last year's to me - i.e. the ball can ping off towards another player without anybody actually kicking it at times, and absolutely tons of goals (more than 50%) go in because the goalkeeper dives the complete wrong way. Plus, if you play it on any resolution above 640x480, it jerks like a bitch!!

If this was on the PSP I'd carry it around with me everywhere and play it 24/7, but as a PC/360 game Football Manager 2006 beats it hands down (and I cannot WAIT for FM2007, now with added ref criticising - ohhh yes).

• Staff

They never will, look at their forums. The guys who make the 2D match engine are so, so committed to making a match engine where millions of possible things can happen. They wouldn't change until they could make a 100% realistic 3D engine, and so they're going to wait until the technology gets even better.

The guys who make the game love it as much as the rest of us, which makes the KEY difference. I wonder if the guys who make LMA (and FIFA) play their game out of choice when they get home... I wouldn't bet on it.

• Staff
Don't know if everyone else knows this but I've only just discovered it myself. LMA Manager games are cancelled, for the forseeable future; see HERE.

Very sad, I hate to see it when a football game disappears, such as This Is Football. I was thinking of renting LMA for the 360 until I realised that the last one was for the 06/07 season. Shame.

Saying that, has anyone seen the leaked video of Championship Manager's new engine? If it gets some good licenses and sponsors, LMA won't be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tnyzLHwdg

Last edited:
Ahhhhh no wonder why I haven't seen a new one in ages, I used to love it as well, and get pissed of soo much when Saints kept losing, well like real life I guess :(

On the PSone it was brilliant, it was a great rival to FM (well CM as it was called at the time). Both were great, LMA wasn't as deep but it was a great laugh and I played it for ages.

I never owned an LMA, but found it fun when I played it on my mates PS1/PS2, it was class, the sooner all manager games go 3D the better...

The best LMA had to be 2000, with O'Leary on the cover.

That engine looks like real football from far, but CM have had an awful engine lately, so I don't really trust them.

I've still got 2002 somewhere, all I remember is the music being "Eat My Goal" - I'm going to dig that out today and have a quick season in LMA's honour.

Can i play?
Course you can.

I've got 2000 and 2002, just dug them out now and put them into the PS3 - 2000 has Tranmere in the Championship, which was Division One back then, and 2002 has them in Division Two. And the kits were ruddy awful. Really weird.

Christ I've got 2002 somewhere, no idea exactly where but I also remember the intro.

I used to spend ages building stadiums for different teams, completing Old Trafford and St. James' Park for example.

Back
Top Bottom