MAFIA 1 REMAKE

So far I have got a would say a little over half way.

The story elements although the missions are the same missions, just with a lot more guys to shoot.
For me the little story changes and new conversations don't really work.

The game is still pretty good, but they have really turned it into a kind of fast paced GTA clone.

I re-completed the original about a week or two prior to the release of this and the original is better, the story elements to it is better, the voice acting and character design - is much better.
The police are much better in the original, they are absolutely dumb as f**k in the remake and losing them is incredibly easy.
The amount of on screen hints and displays in the HUD, even on classic is extreme hand holding - Although now at least you can get rid of the yellow square, with mods.

The only improvements to the remaster is the graphics and they have made better changes to the map, so that it is a nicer drive to get places rather than having to constantly drive through the park at Salieri's to go through the tunnel.

I would still possible recommend the game when you can get it for under £20, but TBH they have certainly gone for quantity and not quality in the missions.

I started playing this this week and I really can't get on with it so might go back and play the original.

The camera when a gun fight starts I find quite bad, all of a sudden a enemy will appear behind me and it doesn't track movement very well. Also not a fan of the canned actions for example like when you make a stealth kill.

It's meant to be a brand new game but feels like new wallpaper put onto a old game, which is weird cause Mafia II played fine.

I started playing this this week and I really can't get on with it so might go back and play the original.

The camera when a gun fight starts I find quite bad, all of a sudden a enemy will appear behind me and it doesn't track movement very well. Also not a fan of the canned actions for example like when you make a stealth kill.

It's meant to be a brand new game but feels like new wallpaper put onto a old game, which is weird cause Mafia II played fine.

Mafia when it came out was incredible 10/10 from me, one of the best games I ever played at the time - Especially PC, the console port really was as bad as ports got.
The driving and police really gave it a sense of realism never felt before and the shooting mechanics and eveything was ahead for it's time.

The problem with Mafia remastered is, it isn't breath taking.
I mean everything about the game is just OK.
The graphics are OK, the gun mechanics are OK, the driving is OK.
But the story is being retold and missions are being dragged out a little, but I can see why they did this as replaying the original, they needed to show more of Paulie and Sam - The new story just doesn't sit right with me, they have changed the prestige of the Salieri gang and the whole whore part of the story is still really angering me now, even after a week.

I still feel people today should play the remastered - Just so a new generation can play it.
It just with playing them back to back the original is stronger in every department, except graphics.

Last edited:
Finished the remaster.

The final 3 missions had been massively cut in size compared to the original.

Pretty much everything which made the original an absolute classic, has been removed from the remake.
The story has been changed slightly, but to the point it is worse than the original - Just little changes, but enough to not enjoy it as much.

Gameplay wise it was obviously a GTA clone from the start, rather than making it a Mafia remake and keeping the parts which were so good.
The driving is much faster and there is not a massive distinctive difference between the cars, unlike the original.

But the worse element is the Police part, they are all marked on the map so you can see them a mile off.
They eliminated all the traffic offences pretty much, by having a severe lack of Police and removing all the traffic lights.
When the Police do chase you it is incredibly boring, and they are easier to lose than a tenner in a strip club.

I don't even know if I would even recommend the game after completing it - Even on Classic the game becomes quite easy, once you get used to it.
There are way too many HUD displays and hand holding - The missions have been changed too much and some of the original missions like 'Lucky Bastard' have been cut from being over an hour long to 20 minute missions - They obviously felt it involved too much driving around, so lets just make it 10 minutes of fast paced fun..

It is a 6/10 game, and I really can't think of anything massively positive to say about the game.
Quantity not Quality.. The Hungry Horse of remakes!!

Didn’t know where to put this video,but I guess this is the right thread for now.
Chameleon,a game developed by the studio who created Mafia.
This game had a very limited nr of games released,and for what my googling tells me,not that many copies made it out on the western market.

The other weird thing I noticed as well..

It took me 12.7 hours to complete the Remaster and 17.1 hours to complete the original.
That is 4 1/2 hours difference - That is how fast paced the remaster is.

Refunded.

Pc port doesn't have HDR support whereas the Ps4 one does. Not supporting them until they patch in HDR support. I know nowdays its not worth making the pc ports look better than console ports by adding extra graphical features. But at least make it on par with consoles.

2020 and still no HDR on pc ports.

Refunded.

Pc port doesn't have HDR support whereas the Ps4 one does. Not supporting them until they patch in HDR support. I know nowdays its not worth making the pc ports look better than console ports by adding extra graphical features. But at least make it on par with consoles.

2020 and still no HDR on pc ports.

Did you seriously get a refund for a game because it doesn’t have HDR support?

Got the trilogy, these games are absolutely classic for me, 3rd not so much still ok but 2 originals are immense and has some of the best music around, love the genre.

Currently playing joes adventures which is fun, completed the jimmy stories.

Completed 1 and 2, but will only play the dlc for mafia 3 whichbI believe are standalones.

Really would love a new mafia game.

THAT'S what i call a Remake. It's pretty beautiful, i never played it neither.
When Remake looks like this, it's a yes > want to give a try (finally)

Never done a Yakuza neither. Just because there's too much version and i don't like to start in the middle without knowing anything that happened in the past. As there's games with scenarios... 6 games is too much.

Mafia got 3 version "only" so a restart from that version of the 1st won't be like i'm forcing to play for understand the story.
It's looking fresh.

The original Mafia (from 2001) is free to have till today 19:00 o'clock german time (it should be CET) on steam.

Go the the shop page from Mafia and you can get it for free.

If someone didnt play the original - this one might seem like a fun game.
But every little thing that made first game great was removed.
It doesnt have the same atmosphere, it doesnt have the same level of details.
Small things like speed violations, running red lights, empty ammo mags and bullets left after every shootout - its all gone. Now its a poor gta clone.
Things that back in the day made me go "wow, this game was made with so much love and attention" - are all gone.
This is a cheap and quick cash grab made without love towards the original, but towards our wallets.
I have played it for a bit in mates house and after 15mins I knew its not the Mafia remake I wanted. There is no depth here.

'Has this game been fixed yet, i got it on sale and it was horribly optimised for the PC loads of stutters I uninstalled after the first mission

Back
Top Bottom